ITT history's most overrated generals

ITT history's most overrated generals

I'll start

Here's your (You).

Underrated if anything.

Oh look, it's this thread again.

lol

Michel Ney confirmed for most underrated general.

Rommel

Some might say Monty, but I think he may not have been the best, but was the first general good enough to get the job done.
As Churchill said "Before Alamein we never had a victory. After Alamein, we never had a defeat."

God bless Michel Ney, le Brave des Braves.

If it wasn't for the fact that he had to be compared to Napoleon and that he completely fumbled at Waterloo he'd be remembered.

Mao, his most famous exploit being retreating while having some men left, and his victory in thr later stages of the Civil war were more a result of Chiang's incompetence, and the Republic of China itself being a disunited entity full of opportunitists, than any genius on Mao's part - after being removed by Chiang in 1946 Long Yun govenor and warlord of Yunnan was immediately reinstated by Mao on the principle of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Were generals of ancient times like Zhuge Liang and Subutai all that they're cracked up to be, or are the accounts embellished?

>we never had a defeat
>what is Operation Market Garden, a.k.a. Monty's biggest fuck up
Market Garden may not have been a textbook defeat, but it was a tactical and strategic failure so it may as well have been. Britbongs love to sweep it under the rug though.

Zhukov is pretty overrated to be quite honest

Why does everyone always forget about Crusader?

I'm going with Rommel.

Not so much that he's overrated as never allowed to reach his full potential under hitler's autistic leadership.

All he did was chase a bunch of Brits around in circles in the fucking desert. Granted his panzer maneuvering and ambush tactics were groundbreaking and cunning beyond measure, but they could have been used against the Americans or Russians to much more decisive effect.

They were certainly embellished but that doesn't mean they were not talented man.

Makes you wonder what he could've done on the eastern front.

>gee monty, how come your mom let's you have two cap brasses?

Been shot by superior Russian forces.

at least he wouldn't have to worry about his logistics so much as someone else would have assigned it to him

>putting one of the worst logistical generals in charge of operations within the theater which was in the most logistical distress

Yeah, instant epin German sieg right there

Over-extend the supply lines worse than they already were?

It's not like North Africa had the best roads to move stuff either.

well maybe Rommel should have accounted for that.

>generals dindu within Rommel wuz a good boy

I personally have no beef with Rommel but the amount of worship people give him is ridiculous.

I blame it on his "le good nazi" status.

I mean, he tried to kill Hitler and was decent to his troops, he's a fuckin 10/10 right?

>invading Egypt when you know you can't supply your troops

Tactical genes

Actually, it was the generals who didn't like him.

He rode Hitler's dick all the way to generalship (and his field marshal rank) and they, who had to slog like bitches to get there, hated his ass.

To be fair, though, they also thought he wasn't that good a leader and thus did not let him learn the necessary things a general should know.

He's good, yeah, but hella overrated. Don't look at me, Guderian, von Rundstedt and the entire Wehrmarcht staff officer corps thought so too.

Side note: Guderian and Rundstedt did fly to North Africa to advise him and he didn't listen until it was too late.

Ironically, one of the staff officers assigned to him knew the fuck he was doing re: logistics. His name escapes me, but without him, Rommel's supply situation would have been WORSE.

based rommel, real human bean

Rommel tried to kill hitler?

He was part of the plot to kill Hitler I believe.

Looked around.. It seems like he may have been aware of it, but even that is up for debate.

I thought the reason Rommel committed suicide was because Hitler discovered his involvement in the plot and asked him to do it?

[spoiler]Nice trips famalam[/spoiler]

Zhuge Liang's "image" is 100% myth 0 facts.

Fail horribly.

That seems to be true, he was accused of being involved because he was friends with some of those known to be involved. He was given the option to kill himself and took it so his family would be spared. In combination with the fact he disobeyed hitler in the past in regards to tactical retreats and he was close to a few in the plot seems to make it at least plausible, if not likely, he knew of it. Apparently no one knows for certain.