Poorfag here

How do people afford to spend more than 100 dollars on an article of clothing? Like if you're not filthy rich, how can you spend 100$+ on something that you can just replace in a year or so? Pic related, just spent like 80 bucks on this Levi's shitpa and it felt like a huge dent in my wallet even with the student discount. Is it really worth being effay?

i mean... youre obviously not making much money if you cant spend 80 bucks on something. especially a coat that will last you a long time

A lot of us thrift and dealhunt aggressively.

If you don't have it to spend, don't spend it. Fashion isn't a good hobby for people with zero disposable income.

>just replace in a year or so

The only people who do that aren't too worried about the money.

That jacket should last you years.

Buying the same thing multiple times over the years is going to cost as much or more than buying one nice item

yeah, if youre on a budget, look for clothing that will last you a long time, even if it is a bit more expensive than you are used to.

If you're replacing your wardrobe every year you're either rich enough not to care or you're buying incredibly low quality goods. There is a price to quality ratio and just like with anything else there's also a point of diminishing returns.

That's a good purchase though because if you look after it and take care of the denim and lining it'll last you decades. My father has worked outdoors his entire life and his denim sherpa is over 22 years old.

You just sound like you're poor OP. Thinking that anyone who can afford to spend 100+ on a piece of clothing is rich is just downright foolish. Once your financial necessities have been taken care of, people are always free to do whatever they want with the leftover.

This.

Definitely poor, just got buttflustered. College student and shit.

I hardly ever pay over $100 for clothes. The few things I have were technical garments for going /out/, but even then I shopped sale, swap or clearance so I didn't pay full retail.

The only thing that require bigger investment are shoes and jackets/coats. I have never spent more than 40€ on sweaters and jeans.. For this price you can find good looking and and durable clothing

People who are rich like to look like they're rich. Nice clothes, nice car, nice house, ect.

The rich don't have to know fashion really, they just have to look at the price and not be a complete idiot. It's no different from buying an old car, it could be garbage, but if it costs over 100k it's probably going to turn heads even if you don't know much about cars.

it may be hard to understand, but some people have money out there. you'll understand when you make a significant amount for yourself. don't be a commie

The most I’ve spent is £1.2k on some Yohji pants. But then again I did save up for a while.

I'm not rich ether, so I can't justify buying cheap clothing, I get some items from H&M if I see something nice, but I prefer to save up to buy something nicer, I wait for sales or buy used. You can get used acne jeans for 60€, if you buy expensive items used, they are in a very good condition most of the time, because the owner takes good care due to the price. Just look around on grailed and don't buy too hyped stuff, but look for quality items. Milsurp is a good source for quality items too, like GATS or Flecktarn Parkas. Thrifting is a good option too.

stop caring op, put the jacket on if it fits you and put more emphasis on the rest of your life, people here just have a hobby for fashion so they put more thought into it than normal. just go to a store and buy whatevers cool and carry on

idiot
what a waste

you're lucky, i bought that exact same jacket last week for 190 bucks

The shoes I've spent over $200-$400+ on have lasted me over 3-4 years.

The cashmere sweaters/cardigans I spent over $200 on have lasted me over 6 years

soooooo why are you replacing stuff every year? You're actually wasted more money than me if you're buying new clothes every year

I rarely like to go shopping now because I have everything

Manual labor poorfag here. Good clothes last you far longer than cheap ones. Also be a man and learn how to treat your clothes. I repaired my five years old winter shoes yesterday, they didn't have some hooks for shoe laces and were generally fucked up, and they are as good as new.

I don't know how people dress like "people" but don't actually do those "people" things.
>peacoat with no pea
>motorcycle jacket with no motorcycle
>work boots with no work
>lumberjack with no lumberjacking
Its just weird.

Any maintenance special care?

I've been wearing my same clothes for 4 years now, with a couple cops here and there
Just wear sweatpants everyday and only shop when there are deals

>something that you can just replace in a year or so?
You are doing clothing wrong. It's called fast fashion and it's designed not to last

The cashmere stuff I use a special detergent from the laundress made specifically for cashmere/wool (also a cedar spray so I don't have to wash my clothes as often, which will prolong the life. I use it for my entire closet actually lol)

and the shoes? no maintence at all. I have a few common projects and those are actually my beater shoes. I'm not the type of person to use shoe trees on sneakers or keep them clean

If you buy quality products, expect them to last at least 5 years or more.

Of course since I'm 25 now I'm not growing anymore so I don't have to worry about that.

The only thing I am worried about is that I've been going to the gym more and trying to put on mass. The good thing about cashmere though is that it does stretch to form so it shouldn't be drastic.

Some people see fashion as a hobby, just like some people spend 10k on a grand piano

very strange my guy how can someone peacoat with no pea its fucking insane has the world lost their minds

I have a pair of boots that i bought in 2005, shoes from 2010 etc, and are in good shape.

Watches from 1976 and 1995...

You can spend a lot and save money at the same time.

My $300 boots I bought 5 years ago are still doing fine so I don't know what you're talking about.

lurk moar, go to the Goodwill bins, thrift, buy things that will sell on eBay, fill your PayPal account with , buy expensive stuff. 60% of this is profit, and this is a side hustle to my full time job.

stop buying into meme trends late

>how can you spend 100$+ on something that you can just replace in a year or so?

because when you spend 100+ on it and its quality, you don't have to replace it, ever.

My girlfriend just bought me a gently used Wrangler sherpa jacket for $20. Personally I always wait for a good deal, I never spend over $30 for an item of clothing. Boots on the other hand I will spend good money on

She overpayed by $20

So do my 120 pair from a sporting good store so they were probably less. Meanwhile my expensive boots have fallen to bits. Fuck it. There's form and theres function.