LOTR core

Other urls found in this thread:

universalworks.co.uk/products/universal-works-double-pleat-pant-in-grey-wool-marl
us.urbanexcess.com/products/le-laboureur-wool-work-jacket-brown
universalworks.co.uk/products/universal-works-aston-pant-in-grey-wool-marl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know man. That'd probably make you look like a shit-poor commie from the 30's.

Id on pants
Great, that's the aesthetic I'm going for

universalworks.co.uk/products/universal-works-double-pleat-pant-in-grey-wool-marl

>shit-poor commie

No need for pleonasms now, cmon...

>universal works
i should have known this... thanks, user

Nazgul were effay as fuck

>The Chad Techwear enthusiast VS The virgin sofboy

thats not techwear you fucking autist, nothing about that is techwear, that would be dark fashion

w2c layer 2?

us.urbanexcess.com/products/le-laboureur-wool-work-jacket-brown

The Chad Englishmen Outdoors Enthusiasts vs the hunched over, sunless irrelevant fashion forum browser wizards

>be 2005
>fat neckbeard into ensiferum
>muh nazgul's eyrie
>put pic related on myspace background
>goes to downtown drink knockoff cola and $1.5 gallon of wine in a alleyway on saturday evening
>hey bro, have you seen corrupted blood debuff

Fast forward ten years

>be 2016
>fat neckbeard into watain
>muh black metal militia
>put pic related on facebook cover
>goes to downtown drink knockoff cola and $1.5 gallon of wine in a alleyway on saturday evening
>hey bro, have you seen blizzard destroying nostalrius

This thread made me realize there haven't been any good movies since LOTR.

LOTR is Aryan mythology and a celebration of the English and the hero, of course there haven't been any films to rival that

Evolution

What are some good movies for someone who hasn't watched any in the last decade and doesn't remember any movies other than LOTR.

>aryan
Tolkien is weird with race stuff, but the dominion of the Edain (and the Númenoreans in the third age) over the other races of men is attributable to chance of history and personal choice, not anything related to their intrinsic prowess or worth.

>mentioning the word aryan = WHITE SUPREMACY
That's literally the word for a group of peoples from Northern Europe. Tolkien basically made an incredible fanfic version of ancient Aryan creation myths and used European saints, heroes, gods, landmarks and peoples to populate his world, borrowing plot and characters and their progression straight from the European spirituality, things like the Poetic and Prose Edda, Finnish mythos, Beowulf, sagas etc. The Hobbits are literally brave Anglo Saxon peasants during WW1 and 2. It's Aryan as fuck and that's why we love it far more than some literature based on Chinese spirituality or the Qu'ran.

Conan the Barbarian
Master and Commander
Valhalla Rising
Kingdom of Heaven
Gladiator
Russian Ark
Last Samurai

more like
>the chad full rick vs the virgin full brit

Oh boy, looks like it's time for my favorite history lesson again.
>25 July 1938
>20 Northmoor Road, Oxford
>Dear Sirs,
>Thank you for your letter. I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-Iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Hindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people. My great-great-grandfather came to England in the eighteenth century from Germany: the main part of my descent is therefore purely English, and I am an English subject — which should be sufficient. I have been accustomed, nonetheless, to regard my German name with pride, and continued to do so throughout the period of the late regrettable war, in which I served in the English army. I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.
>Your enquiry is doubtless made in order to comply with the laws of your own country, but that this should be held to apply to the subjects of another state would be improper, even if it had (as it has not) any bearing whatsoever on the merits of my work or its sustainability for publication, of which you appear to have satisfied yourselves without reference to my Abstammung.
>I trust you will find this reply satisfactory, and
>remain yours faithfully,
>J. R. R. Tolkien
"Aryan" means "Indo-Iranian" except insofar as it is an ahistorical invention of the Nazi regime: Tolkien openly despised both for being simultaneously invented propaganda bullshit as well as factually incomplete. To put it simply, Tolkien hated the fiction of the white master race. More on this coming.

And now for a more detailed takedown of points:
>Tolkien basically made an incredible fanfic version of ancient Aryan creation myths
Tolkien's creation myth is manifestly Catholic. From an excerpt of the Ainulindalë:
>Ilúvatar: And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite.
This is essentially a metaphor for Augustinian theodicy.
>and used European saints, heroes, gods, landmarks and peoples to populate his world, borrowing plot and characters and their progression straight from the European spirituality
This would be easier to counter if you used examples, would you mind providing some?
>things like the Poetic and Prose Edda, Finnish mythos, Beowulf, sagas etc
Tolkien was a professor of English at Oxford and was as well-read in these books as he was other, arguably more influential books, including Paradise Lost. He did, however, rip his plot from these works.
>The Hobbits are literally brave Anglo Saxon peasants during WW1 and 2
The allegation that the events of LotR are capable of referencing WWI in explicit allegory is explicitly refuted by Tolkien in his Foreword to the Second Edition of LotR, including an explanation of what the story WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE if this had been true. The Hobbits, notably, cannot represent "brave Anglo Saxon peasants," because they do not exemplify the values of this group, but rather British Catholics of Victorian, not Anglo-Saxon, personalities. For example: in the Hobbit, Bilbo is not an effective warrior. He is, however, an effective and brave moral agent -- which is a primary theme of the work and the work that follows it. Hobbits, to put it in simple terms, are not violent. Anglo-Saxon heroes, like Beowulf, were, categorically speaking. Claiming they're the same is wrong.

>He did, however, rip his plot from these works.
Sorry, this is a typo. He did NOT rip his plot from these works.

And lastly, from a letter to Christopher Tolkien written during the second World War, in which Christopher was a soldier:
>I have in this War a burning private grudge—which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler (for the odd thing about demonic inspiration and impetus is that it in no way enhances the purely intellectual stature: it chiefly affects the mere will). Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light.
To summarize, Tolkien based the aesthetic sensibilities of his world off early English mythologies and histories, but the thematic core of the works are fundamentally Victorian, especially as they relate to hobbits: this is a world where Bilbo is a more effective hero than Boromir precisely because the latter represents hasty and violent Anglo-Saxon warrior culture while the other practically refutes it. In fashion terms, this is why our meek heroes are wearing tweed vests and not leather hauberks. As far as the works relate to anything "Aryan," the simple fact is that Tolkien would have spit on you for using the word, because (according to Tolkien) the word as we now understand it is ahistorical fiction made up by the Nazi regime to use Anglo-Saxon and Germanic legends for propaganda purposes.

Hobbit fashion always looks to me vaguely academic, but that might just be because it's so last century British

>I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people.

I knew he was full of shit, but to be a obese Kike lover on top of that... holy disappointment!

No wonder his work was exploited for cheap Hollywood buck.

If you want to affect a style, it's important to know the connotations of that style and what they entail. As was mentioned earlier, this is kind of a professorial style, or one that (especially in the context of LotR) might be associated with strong morals, so it might not be a good fit for you.

OI M8 AVE YOU GOT A LICENSE FOR THAT ELIXIR

>that gifted people
Was Tolkien genuinely unaware of the conditions within Weimar republic? Of the 345 times they'd been excised from their host nations? Of their invention of bolshevism and marxism for the lower gentiles? Of their disdain and dishonesty towards the gentiles? Of their capitolising and profiteering on wracked nations, such as the Rothschild seize of banks during the Napeolonic era?
Seems to me that Tolkien was either looking to skirt around the issue of this group of cosmopolitan Grimma Wormtongues in order to secure a future for his franchise and his descendants, or he was ridiculously ignorant - patently, we can look at just the surface evidence of the state of Israel and the ADL and countless lobbies and see that the Jewish archetype runs counter to all the ideals of "little folk" virtuousness, courage, fearlessness and honesty, commitment to a promise, nobility and Tolkien's own love of European native literature. I rather wish I hadn't read about his love of jews and animosity towards Hitler - I would have thought he would have at least admired Hitler as a mystical icon, a man born with incredible qualities and ambition, and if he had felt so deeply about the NatSoc bastardisation of Nordic and Germanic mythos,
I am disappointed he made little effort to set the record straight and distill our mythos into something of authenticity we could actually be proud of. Guess his Catholicism was too important to him.

Aight these are getting too reddit, I'm done

>This entire post
Literal autism

turbobrainlets leave

>Seems to me that Tolkien was either looking to ... secure a future for his franchise and his descendants
This is a good theory. Being a tenured professor at some no-name college meant he didn't have much money to work with.
>or he was ridiculously ignorant.
Yeah, that Catholic professor almost certainly knew almost nothing about the linguistic conventions of Semitic language or the histories of their people. Certainly not nearly enough of it to use as significant inspiration for elements of his masterpiece or, say, phonetic elements of an invented language, for example one for the dwarves. Or elements of their mythos for the Númenóreans. Just hypothetically.
>I rather wish I hadn't read about his love of jews and animosity towards Hitler - I would have thought he would have at least admired Hitler as a mystical icon
Ahahahahaha get fucking triggered, you moronic stormfaggot. Look away, if you can't stand the truth! In death Hitler is a craven suicide, ironically too cowardly to face judgment at the hands of stronger men than himself, and in life he was an idiotic, petty despot with a well-paid propaganda minister. Let me make this perfectly clear for you: Tolkien despised Hitler because of Hitler's clumsy, cynical mangling of legend and lore, not in spite of it, and he would have despised you for the exact same reason!
>and if he had felt so deeply about the NatSoc bastardisation of Nordic and Germanic mythos, I am disappointed he made little effort to set the record straight and distill our mythos into something of authenticity we could actually be proud of.
You mean, if he'd written seminal and readable poetic translations of and essays on ancient and medieval English works like Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Sir Orfeo, and Pearl? Yeah, it's a shame he never got around to it. Probably wouldn't have sold very well, and like I said the professorship at Oxford probably didn't pay super well.

Now post hobbits!

>this post
I fucking love you man, keep doing what you're doing

Thank you.
I'd like to talk a bit more about fashion, though, and looking at all my pictures and the pictures ITT made me notice something about the costuming for Lord of the Rings and pictures of it in general. All around, you can sort of split the cast into two rough categories in terms of fashion: hobbits, and everybody else. Sorry the pic is kinda blurry:
>Hobbits: provincial but not uncultured. Lots of tweed, wool, etc., very comfy British sort of looks, mostly earthy but with occasional bright colors like Bilbo's vest and cravat above. Not unlike what Tolkien himself seemed to wear a lot.
>Everybody else: full-on late-medieval adventure garb. Different kinds of armor, tunics/tabards, robes, etc.
It's an hazy dichotomy that sort of lines up with how apart the Shire is from what's going on in the rest of the world, as well as the Victorian vs. Anglo-Saxon sort of dichotomy I mentioned before. The thing is, I feel like if we're talking about "LOTR core," I think paying attention to the different sorts of costumes that sort of coexist in the works, and especially what they have in common (such as the woolly cloaks in , which look right at home on Merry & Pippin's otherwise English wear), might be useful. In short, we have to bring back big wool cloaks, guys.
It's probably a testament to the costume designers' skill on these movies that they managed to get all of these different sorts of costumes into the movie smoothly enough that we can use one totally understandable word to describe an aesthetic that includes shirts of maille and tweed vests, and yet feel like nothing is out of place.

>In short, we have to bring back big wool cloaks, guys.
Been saying this for years.
The costumes in Jackson's movies were so excellent because the materials and techniques behind them were authentic. Instead of going the typical "prop" route, they brought in professional blacksmiths, leatherworkers and weavers to create each piece (to an extent) as it would have been created in Middle Earth itself. The material hints at regional economy/agriculture, history, and a whole range of other lore details which aren't explicitly discussed on screen very often.
To define a LOTRcore we have to consider the manufacturing process. Wherever possible we want to minimize synthetics and machine-made clothing. Fabrics should be traditionally loom-woven or knit from thick, textured yarns that suggest hand-knitting - or better, are genuinely hand-knit. Imagine the in-universe labor that would have gone into something like Bilbo's vest here: which appears to be hand-embroidered (again, in-universe) from a very fine fiber - maybe even silk.

cont'd autism:
The palette of materials says a lot about the scope of the adventure - as the world unfolds, new materials are mixed in.
HOBBITS (limit yourself to these if you want to stay Shirecore):
>Wool
>Plant fibers - linen, rough cotton
>Wood. Honey-tone and polished; hand-carved oak; dark knobbly off-cut lengths, etc
>For metals, brass and iron. Warm, comfortable, easy to work
>For colors, rich, earthy - green, brown, grey, crimson, beige, yellow... colors of the harvest
>Ceramic, glass, paint.
MEN/DWARVES:
>Compatible with/inclusive of the above, plus:
>Leather and fur. The only time hobbits seem to wear leather is in an "adventuring" context after they come into contact with the larger world
>Stone.
>Steel and gold - metals of utility/economy - and warm-colored gemstones (ruby, topaz, garnet...)
>For colors - a stronger tendency toward black, grayscale and desaturated earth tones... and weathered appearance
---THE ELF, ANCIENT, or DIVINE LINE---
(When an artifact/piece of clothing crosses this line in either direction, it doesn't fit in and is instead played for contrast)
(Frodo's star-glass, the mithril shirt, the rings of power... the important visual difference is that these items do not tarnish/grow dirty)
>White metals. Silver/platinum/aluminum/"mithril"
>Glass, enamel, cool-colored gemstones (sapphire, diamond, emerald...)
>For color: white, blue, cream, yellow... the paler the garb, the lesser the influence of/contact with the world of men
>Interestingly elves circle back toward hobbits with their use of deep, saturated colors and silky, smooth and lustrous fabrics

you don't have feet?

>2017
>wearing feet

Consider me told

lotr threads are always some of the better ones across all boards

nice posts man

Objectively wrong.

A lot of these open and well documented facts are essential to understanding his novels. I'm not even a Tolkien buff, and I knew all this shit.

Do you guys even Veeky Forums?

I'd add Braveheart to that list

I always saw it as his interpretation of decent human beings in the world vs the rest of the human beings. His Dunedain are all the good parts of humanity minus the greed, which all races in his story fall victim to (inb4 bombadil).

My guess is that to drive his point home, he needed to select a group in his story that the reader would identify as noble or good, pitted against the lesser versions of man who strive to gain wealth, power, and security(Rohan, Gondor, etc), and to hide from the truth (impending doom).

Keep in mind the guy just watched the majority of the young men in the world literally sink into mud and die while the lands burned around him. I don't know how much prejudice you can hold after that.

Love you motherfuckers for actually knowing these things.

what the fuck are you talking about

MOAR INSPO

Unironically and unexpectedly the best thread on Veeky Forums right now

Thanks. I usually try to avoid taking the bait on /pol/shit, but it tears me apart to see people using Tolkien's profound works for something he openly despised as much as facile race-baiting propaganda, so I make an exception for him. I'm also doing my best to find relevant images of the relevant aesthetics, so hopefully I'm not being too offtopic, but I'm also running out of stills from the movies, so I'm curious to know if the aesthetic might change when we get more into adaptations or fan art. I think that is right on the money in distinguishing "Shirecore" from the rest -- that seems to be common for other adaptations

>His Dunedain are all the good parts of humanity minus the greed, which all races in his story fall victim to (inb4 bombadil).
This is a bit of an odd claim. The survivors of Numenor, the Elendi, not only went on to found and settle in Arnor and Gondor, but also Umbar -- a power that was sympathetic to Sauron during the War, and a common enemy of Gondor. I think that, in general, Tolkien prefers royal lineages to race groups, which is exactly why the madness of "King" Denethor was such a big deal, for example: even though Gondor is mostly (I believe) populated by other Elendi, the fact is that he was only a Steward, not a King, no matter what his race was. I'm not confident that Denethor necessarily was an Elendi, though. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks, I made it in jest but it's actually pretty fucking good, as long as we stay well away from discussing the Jews. Good job nerds

Anyone know who Tolkien's favourite artists were? I imagine he liked a lot of the painters from the Victorian Cornwall exploitation era, maximum comfy fishing cottages and windswept moors

damn i forgot how they had pickle rick owens as a costume designer

No worries bro. Sometimes poltards actually have facts and logic on their side, and they're just saying shit that is inconvenient or uncomfortable. In this case they were really reaching.

Just thinking this, I'm afraid I don't have much to contribute though...

If anyone knows where I can get a coat similar to the one Frodo wears in a few scenes in the fellowship, pic related
When I've looked there's loads of cosplay crap or replicas, but I'd rather have something that is just similar, a little less costumey and could be worn normally than something like that, but I can't find anything like it.

In fact I've been putting off buying a new coat for the last two winters because I keep hoping I'll eventually find what I'm looking for.

Contributing hobbit coats to be identified, I'm mostly interested in the fabric of this one. It looks familiar. Camel hair?

velvet, bruh

I was going to sperg out and necro post, but you did a much better job.

ORKS GIT OUT

2nd this, that coat is very aesthetic

How to Thorin-Core?

brooches are essential to LotR core.
use it to wrap your big wool scarf around you and keep it from unwrapping, use it to keep your big knitted coat/cardigan closed. very cheap item that looks good and is a good way to be LotR core in day to day. I love brooches. Gold brooches in the forms of leaves and feathers are my favourites. They are also cheap to get vintage from etsy/ebay.

what would you call the shirt?

>They are also cheap to get vintage from etsy/ebay.
Also literally any thrift store.

not idly do the leaves of lorien fall

Printed velour vest from Christopher Nemeth

Wool shirt jackets seems like I'd work fine for LOTR inspired fits.

I think my sweater would work for lotrcore. Nice thread

w2c shirt?

Private White VC Shacket

Jacket source?

No idea, sorry.

Got the lettuce already

>lettuce
>not a poe tay toe

That's a cabbage fatties

I've got a big green wool Army surplus blanket I got at a garage sale once, if I got a brooch and took a seam ripper to the US ARMY embroidery do you think it would work well as a cloak?

>tfw you will never love anything as much as this guy loves lotr

I doubt they were meant to be, especially as a rule. The elves feared holding the ring. And even hobbits, who wanted little-to-nothing more than a simple life with good company and good food, couldn't resist the temptation of power that the ring held. Frodo was about to walk away with it before Gollum bit it off his finger.

Even the angel/jesus-metaphor didn't want to risk holding it. Only old Tom Bombadil was immune.

feels bad

Hey, don't feel too bad. Two of those posts weren't me

I'm not normally wild about pleated pants because I think they make me look fat, any idea on where I could find these without pleats or do you think those are essential to the style?

ew that horrible color grading. they fucked up bad on the extended blu ray for some reason

Good thread

It was to piss. Look at how he immediately stated they they were actually asking if he was jewish

great thread. i´ve tried to do aragorn core with black jeans, brown boots, henley and a wool jacket. i should get some leather into the look.

They make these too
universalworks.co.uk/products/universal-works-aston-pant-in-grey-wool-marl
The fabric is probably terrible though
>46% acrylic
>30% polyester
>20% wool
>4% other fibers

Why didn't they put the ring on an animal like a donkey or rabbit and lead it to mount doom?