I want off the train

[META]/r/Veeky Forums

When will we make Veeky Forums great again

The amount of fucking pseuds and /pol/ raiders here is insane.

There was a thread about Aztecs and Zulus and 90% of posters there were complete fucking retards that even I, someone who's read about Aztecs for no more than 1 hour on various essays about them can discern their bullshit

What the fuck is happening

This is the website I spent a good chunk of my time on and people are fucking it up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D-96ZM9vl_w
youtu.be/gwqWUozoRhs?t=438
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck off.

Summer is happening.

Provided the 14 year old shitters don't drive away anyone who actually reads books things should improve by October when they need to limit their Veeky Forums time to /pol/ like they've been doing all year.

>Provided the 14 year old shitters don't drive away anyone who actually reads books things should improve by October when they need to limit their Veeky Forums time to /pol/ like they've been doing all year.
another retard perpetuating the summer myth.
fuck off.

I didn't believe in summerfags either until like 5 days ago.

But no, the legend is real. And you will realize it too when you graduate highschool.

>actually expecting a decent discussion on Veeky Forums

How new are you? 99 in 100 threads are utter shit.

totally irrelevant, but in trying to respond to this thread, I was met with a warning chastising me for some gibberish posted on /mlp/ about a week ago. I've never even visited /mlp/. Has this happened to anyone else? Sorry for off topic but I'm mildly concerned by it

i've already graduated

i've been on Veeky Forums for 5 fucking years, and summer definitely is not a thing, its always this shit year round.

making meta shitposts is directly contributing to the shitness of this board

Bronies are stealing your internet, man.

It is.

I've been a NEET for the past like year and a half so I've been on Veeky Forums all day everyday and on this board from the second it opened. There has been a dramatic drop in quality on Veeky Forums for the past week or so.

>its always this shit year round.
It isn't. Until recently Veeky Forums was fairly decent, but now the place is teeming with Stormfags. Now there was usually a few of them occasionally popping up but for the past while they've been everywhere, and there's been a drastic rise in threads such as
>Why does Africa/black people suck so much?
>When did you realize Hitler was right?
>Did the holocaust happen?
You get the idea.

One of two things is happening.
1. Summerfags are real
2. /pol//8ch*n/Stormfront/something is making a concentrated effort to raid the place.

I got a ban a few weeks back for posting something bad on a board I maybe visited once in 2011 or so... I mailed them and they lifted my ban.

Okay, that's comforting at least. Thanks. I was a bit worried that bronies really were 'stealing my internet'.

Their lack of self awareness never ceases to fucking amaze me.

The liberal strawman is apparently always 'raiding' or shilling for somebody, and according to them that is extremely discourteous and fucking annoying, which it is, yet they do the exact same shit

R9K is also a homogeneous board like them and at least they dont try to pervade their bullshit culture everywhere

My physics teacher also does philosophy and doesn't believe time is real, but believes that reality is real, and that mathematics are descriptive and not proscriptive of it.
Is this a school of metaphysics, or is he an eclectic?

>proscriptive
Fuck me, prescriptive.

The Orlando shooting

I would need more info but I think he's kantian.

One of Kant's thesis is that both space and time are not "real" (in the sense that they are not empirically observable in the physical world) but pure "intuitions" our mind uses to be able to observe phenomena.

Einstein was fond of Kant, and Kant was fond of physics as they are based on those "pure intuitions" and therefore say something more valid than a mere empirical description of the world.

Goodbye

He talked about Kant and Marx a lot but apparently hadn't read The Capital.
Also didn't think anyone should have guns, of course the day after the final I wondered how the proletariat would seize the means of production without arms.

>Neil Tyson
>Bill Nye
>Krauss
They're not eminent scientists. Comparing them to giants like Einstein and Bohr is fucking retarded.

bill nye is not even a scientist
he's a mechanical engineer

That's the point, obviously. A lot of the proclaimed 'scientifically minded' individuals who follow people like Nye, Tyson, Krauss or Darwin who disavow philosophy, and in turn, they disavow philosophy. This image is intended to disprove them by contrasting them to much more venerable and acclaimed individuals in the scientific community. I'm not sure how you misinterpreted that but I think you need to talk to people more, otherwise even meme browsing will prove to be painful for you

the average poster on /pol/ is a complete and utter retard

That's not true.

A huge amount of them are also simply children.

proof?

>whaaah people won't except all my pretenses so I'll call them common sense

What a joke that man is. I don't want him representing me.

An adult with a child's mind is a retard nonetheless, whether they're stunted youths or adults.

A lot of people grow out of edgy /pol/shit before they exit college. The unfortunate few who don't have gone on to work for Prager U.

>The Capital

Fuckin' love the Aztecs bro. George Best was the shit! Now we just got the Galaxy. Fuck.

Go to /pol/.

I started browsing here about 4 months ago. Aside from a small shift to theology shitposting to neo-colonial and racist shitposting, not much has changed.

Literally no other board I've seen since 07 has had a "summer problem" in anything but name. Moot even gave us an activity chart which showed no real increase in activity.

Most people lack the knowledge for decent historical discussion. Hardly a single nigger knows anything about the Hellenistic kingdoms besides "ANTIOCHUS" memes and Rome Total War myths.

>Hellenistic kingdoms
Do you mean pre-Alexander, or Diadochi?

I general I'd say there's no increase in activity.

But I wouldn't doubt that bored underage from posters use their newfound free time to spill into less popular boards. Such as from /pol/ to Veeky Forums.

If you want to learn something simply stop browsing Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums in general. You'll never find worthwhile material here. This place was never meant for quality discussions.

Go outside and read actual books. Come back here when you want to shitpost.

>for 5 fucking years
And this is supposed to be a lot?

>time is not real
How do I explain this to a layperson?

>if you can't explain it simply enough, it means you don't understand it well enough
Yes, I actually agree. It just makes sense to me that time isn't an actual thing and we just perceive mechanical movements and imagine a continuous progression over "time", even though it's just a concept, but when someone brings up "but what time dilation?" I can only say "Relativity is an approximate representation of reality and the concept of time helps us calculate with it, but what's really happening is that there's more to mechanical movements than we can instinctively comprehend" and that's about it. Nobody is ever satisfied with this, not even me.

>Darwin
Are you high, user?

I really hope you meant Dawkins.

Never because /pol/ has infested Veeky Forums like it infested /int/.

>/pol/ being its own entity

/pol/ is just /b/ mixed with /int/ with epic raycist shitposting

youtube.com/watch?v=D-96ZM9vl_w

youtu.be/gwqWUozoRhs?t=438

This boards quality has become noticeably worse over the past 3~ weeks. I think for a smaller board like Veeky Forums Summer definitely has an effect on it.

>/pol/ being its own entity
it most definitely is, and its a cancer intent on infesting everything

I agree.
We get almost daily thread about: Hitler, holocaust, Marx etc.

Vacuum fluctuations aren't mechanical and happen "within time".

I assume you just wrongly used "mechanical" while meaning "causal" or something along those lines. Even then, causality simply isn't possible outside of time.
The notion of time being just a "concept" isn't completely wrong, as long as you mean that it (currently) only describes a certain framework within which causal events are ordered, but even then you are being horribly imprecise with statements such as "time isn't an actualy thing".

Also, how can you claim to know "what is really happening"?

>I've been a NEET for the past like year and a half so I've been on Veeky Forums all day everyday and on this board from the second it opened.

Oh and I'm sure you're just the biggest positive influence of all time.

>le /pol/ is concentrating on Veeky Forums trust me guys

maybe it's just faggot meme lords like you who are shitting up the board with your constant ass pain over not being able to refute the people with whom you disagree.

no u

If you're using satellite internet or a dynamic IP, you'll sometimes be flagged by the server as someone who also used that IP.

>maybe it's just faggot meme lords like you who are shitting up the board with your constant ass pain over not being able to refute the people with whom you disagree.
Found the /pol/ster.

Views on why blacks are subhuman and the holocaust never happened aren't hard to refute. It's just that you get sick of seeing them.

You're right, mechanical isn't quite as far-reaching a word as I hoped. Causal isn't quite it either, but it's probably the best we've got. What I mean is that the only way we can tell "time" has passed is that we perceive the movement of all the stuff that has reached new perceived positions (be it mechanical, like ball movement; electrical, like neuron synapses; or otherwise, like vacuum fluctuations). I guess physical my cover all of it? In any case, it's just semantics.

>you are being horribly imprecise with statements such as "time isn't an actualy thing".
Sorry. What I mean is that it is not necessarily an inherent property of the universe.

>Also, how can you claim to know "what is really happening"?
I don't know what's really happening, of course. That's why I say that there's more to the interaction that we can't intuitively comprehend.

When I say "what's really happening", I mean something among the lines of "what's happening at the basic level of the universe being reduced to the system that represents it".

And I see such system as a feedback system, where current values for the universe's variables are inputted to the "universe control system" (the set of rules of interaction between the variables, which would be the inherent properties of the universe) to output a new set of values. Causality is how we understand the feedback system, while time is what helps us differentiate between (i.e., define) "current" and "new". That's why I don't consider time an inherent property of the universe, just an intuitive concept that our mind uses to understand the concept of change (and a physical concept to help us do math).

Could this same argument not be made for space? As space only helping us to differentiate between "here" and "there" so to speak?

their latest thing is asking about the crusades and then getting butthurt when we tell them they were kinda boring and largely a failure

Kind of.

Distance does equate into the rules of physical interactions, which would lead us to believe that space is a fundamental property of the universe, but thanks to field theory we could explain away such behaviors as to be caused by the variable values of the fields (themselves dependent on their previous values) and not due to some fundamental "distance" between the objects interacting.

The perceived fact that space is expanding would lead me to believe that indeed, space is also just a concept we form thanks to our perceptorial biases and that physical interactions don't deal with the a property of "distance" as we understand it.

For an attempt to write what I'm thinking: Any body would just be a set variable values that not necessarily take up space, but which interactions form a consistent idea of space within our brains given our perceptions of them.

Still, the fact that I have to use "at a given point" when explaining the field theory part leads the explanation to not be completely consistent and as such I'm not completely confident in such interpretation of space.

I'll stay away from arguing about field theory, as my mathematical knowledge of it is very very basic so I wouldn't feel comfortable there, but I think we don't even have to go to that point.

Lets look at:
>Distance does equate into the rules of physical interactions

could we not give the same reply to this that you give to someone arguing with time dilation against your notion that time somehow doesn't exist? Say, for example something like:
"Our physical theories are approximate representations of reality and the concept of distance helps us calculate with them, but what's really happening is that there's more to phenomena than we can instinctively comprehend" ?

And to adress your last point (and here I will be touching on field theory slightly I guess and if I say something wrong please do go ahead and correct me) I would say that in addition to saying "at a given point" you also have to say "at a given time". As far as I know fields in field theory can be time dependant as well, which would mean, if we follow your argumentation, you should not feel completely confident in such an interpretation of time either.

The whole argument, to me at least, seems to stem more from a wish to "think something radical" rather than arriving at that "radical conclusion" by logical means. You are using a very sceptical epistemological model, but apparently only or at least mainly in regards to one facet of your perception.

That being said, what new scientifc pathways would discarding our current notion of time (a discarding with which I obviously don't quite agree) open up to us? What is the benefit of discarding one of our most basic perceptions of reality even though we have no scientific reason to do so (if we somehow had empirical phenomena that would clash with our concept of time this would be a different matter obviously)?

>could we not give the same reply to this that you give to someone arguing with time dilation against your notion that time somehow doesn't exist?
I guess I should have elaborated.

What I meant is that distance plays a very tangible role in interactions the way we envision them (i.e., objects that are closer together attract each other more strongly by gravity). Time doesn't behave that way (I'll elaborate on this later, pun not intended), which is why it's intuitive for me to assume that time isn't a fundamental property of the universe but instead our understanding of the continuation of a process.

>As far as I know fields in field theory can be time dependant as well
Indeed they are, but they're only described as such because our physics already assume time exist. If we think of the time-dependent behavior (of anything), it can be thought of as the values that the variables will take at different "runs" of the process, and the values "at a given time" (i.e. at a given "run" of the process) would be informed by the values of the variables in the previous run of the process (or randomness if true randomness exist, but I don't think that's relevant to the topic at hand).

You could do this for space too (which is why I brought up field theory as a solution in the first place): The values "at a given point" are just informed by the values of the variables in the "neighboring points" which interact given the necessary rules, but I find it more difficult to think of distance in an abstract way that would leave the concept of "points that can neighbor each other" independent of the concept of "distance", while on the other hand its easier to think of "events that neighbor each other in a continuous process" independent of the concept of "time".

That's just my take on it, though, and I could very well be using fallacious reasoning without noticing it. (cont.)

And for your last question, I just believe that discarding the notion of time as a fundamental property of space follows from the concept of entropy, so there's really little addition or benefit to it.

It's just that instead of moving along the dimension known as time in a continues line towards "the future" seems erroneous to me when what we're actually measuring/witnessing is entropy increase as a byproduct of physical interactions.

I guess the most important "breakthrough", if it can be called that, is that it would destroy the possibility of backwards time travel through wormholes (which I believe most theoretical physicist already consider a forgone conclusion, anyways, as it would mean subtracting entropy from the universe for such travel to be possible)

>not knowing it's a containment board

user pls.

>physicist
physicists

I'm falling asleep as I type, so I'm sorry about any incoherence or grammar mistake that may have occurred.

>2016
>scientific realism

Yeah, I do get your point. I would however argue that "events that neighbor each other in a continuous process" already constitute time. However I think we are at a point where we're not going to come to any breakthroughs by discussing it on a swiss bread baking forum so lets leave it at this.

Thank you for taking the time to explain your views and go get some sleep.

the right side in your pic is basically /sci

I wouldn't say that, there is a tendency but it's spread quite evenly between the two sides imo

t. Veeky Forumsentist

Only among the memer stemlords who are almost universally college freshmen. A lot of Veeky Forums either just doesn't seem interested in the humanities or respects it as a different discipline.

>Heisenberg
>Bohr
Meme physicists who couldn't apply years of learning and techniques when they saw something new - literally what logic and science are about.
>muh consciousness changes physics

I'm not siding with the meme scientists of the 21st century, I'm just stating that you picked excactly the wrong physicist who were on the Paulo Coelho level the former were referencing.

>meme scientists strawmaning via referencing meme philosophers
This is where our world has come to.

Yeah yeah go back to plebbit if you don't like free speech here.

Veeky Forums was a battle between the pol and the reddit paradigms since the beginning.
It is only being raided by /pol/acks as much as it is being raided by reddit with their "Le Mbongo Bwongos of Central Africa were a very civilized culture but thanks to the Eurocentric view of history we know nothing about them. *Le sigh* Fuck you stormfags I wish everyone was thinking like me so we could finally have diversity. THIS POST KILLS FASCISTS" posts.

>stormfag
This is how I know you're a newfag.
(Or just know nothing about pol.)
There was no stormfront takeover, it has always been a small fringe forum. You can go and take a look there. Do you think that site alone could shift a whole board politically in such a dramatic manner?
Even /new/ was already right wing by the end of its days.
I'm not claiming there was not (and there is not) fighting to shift the board, but pol has been leaning to the right since the beginning. What can you do? You have millions of left-leaning or center sites with bigger popularity to discuss events. For example, reddit. You can't do anything with pol. Accept it, as it is part of chan culture, or get the fuck out, faggot.