What did you learn today, Veeky Forums?

What did you learn today, Veeky Forums?

Today I learned that Cape Horn is named such not because it is pointy and resembles a horn, but because the Dutch ship that first went around it was called the Horne.

Reddit tier

Today I learned that Cape Horn is named such not because it is pointy and resembles a horn, but because the Dutch ship that first went around it was called the Horne.

I learned about a ship named the Cape Horn and that Baltimore is apparently in Maryland.

India is only 0,7% buddhist, even though I associated it as the birthplace of buddhism, but apparently Nepal more seems to take on that role.

Fuck y'all, if you aren't actively learning and seeking out information to further yourself you can get right the fuck off my board.

What's the percentage of Hinduism though?
I know Buddhism originated in India and then spread east, but where in India is unknown. I have a book about Indian history that I really need to actually read, it's a huge blank spot in my historical knowledge.

Today I learned that STEM degrees are the new blue collar labor and that we are going to get fucked as a state if we don't address this.

I learned that Africa has horn boats and the Dutch wear capes.

>America
>capable of solving problems as a nation

Here's a fun example.

In 1967, 50 cities across the US were devastated by race riots.

LBJ put together a commission to figure out what happened, and how to not make it happen again.

The commission concluded that the riots were caused by a lack of economic opportunity in black neighborhoods, especially a lack of housing and jobs.

On all of the principal recommendations, from low cost housing to black unemployment, the government met their goals for about ten years, and then things started to move in the opposite direction, rapidly.

By 1992, the inner cities in the US had vastly worse communities and economies than they did during the initial race riots a generation earlier.

Los Angeles erupted into full scale anarchy, leading to 52 dead and a billion in property damage.

Another generation later, the government has completely forgotten most of the stuff in the original report and settled upon mass incarceration as the best way to pacify the inner cities.

I have this theory that America lost the ability to think critically and solve social issues some time around the mid 70s. If you look at other federal policies, from mass incarceration, to drug policy, you'll see the same pattern.

I've been generally curious about why we're all such fuck ups. Europeans got absolutely gang banged by each other the first half of the 20th century but now they are pretty much leading the world. Is it just that the US is too big to really agree on one course of action and commit to it?

That and red baiting crippled our social programs.

But yeah, there seems to be some kind of growing anti-intellectualism in American politics, beginning with the Nixon administration and the growth of neoconservatism.

Peak cancer was achieved when cable news hit and the majority of Americans stopped even watching local stations.

today i learned about the fact that the so called Eastern "Roman" Empire is in fact not Roman at all

today i learned that the armenian genocide is in fact never happened

Today I learned that digoxin blocks the sodium/potassium pump in the heart, causing calcium to stay in the body's heart cells and help it contract.

Today I learned that the """""Holy Roman Empire""""" was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire.

today I learned that PM Kim Campbell was a gigantic shit

and now with social media like facebook and twitter, it's only gotten worse.

Ending segregation all at once instead of tapering off.

>Europeans got absolutely gang banged by each other the first half of the 20th century but now they are pretty much leading the world

You can't really think Europe right now is better at problem solving than we are.

They have much lower poverty rates, lower crime, better health care outcomes. Their economies simply provide a lot more to a lot more people.

I mean, their militaries are shit, but they're still whiter than the US.

nepal was pretty much the place where the buddha was born.
Thats it.
He attained enlightenment at Bodh Gaya, in India.

Nepal has bits of Buddhism because of its proximity to Tibet and Tibetan diaspora is more concentrated there.

Yesteeday I learned that the level of testosterone a growing fetus in some stage receives, influences the pength ratio between the index and ring finger
Men have longer index fingers and women longer ring fingers (ofc not always)

Today I learned that there were ancient Greek towns in the Chinese province of Yunnan

sauce?

its a shitty joke, greece is called yunani/yunan in some part of southeast asia and turkey

>Their economies simply provide a lot more to a lot more people.
I'd really love to see Britians NHS try to provide for the entirety of the continental US.
>people still comparing tiny yuro nations to the population juggernaut that is the US of A
s m h

Not just that, but they're all relying on America for their defense. Pretty much the only reason they can afford to have all these social programs is because they're hiding under our umbrella.

That there was a scientific dispute about what Polonium's name should be. it was a dispute between Marie Curie's "Polonium" and Marckwald's "Radiotelerium".

People pull out this excuse, but I'm not sure there's a real qualitative difference between administering a country of 300,000,000 and 60,000,000.

>I'd really love to see Britians NHS try to provide for the entirety of the continental US.
Considering the fact that Brits pay half as much per capita as Americans, it's completely possible if you'll bring huge stick and hit every single doctor in the head, hard.

>too big
Nah

US has 322 M people, the EU 508 M. And the EU actually has 28 different nations and governments working together.

the Bering strait is named after the danish explorer who found it

Esclarmonde de Foix is said, in at least one story, to have assumed the form of a dove in order to carry the Holy Grail away from those who had persecuted the Cathars. According to German medievalist Otto Rahn, shepherds from Montségur claimed that "a white dove escaped and flew over the walled crest"

Baku is about 20m below sea level, making it the lowest capital city on earth

Finns are just a weird case of staying nonaligned and not doing anything to attract aggression from anyone.

Swedes are dismantling their military, and they have agreements with NATO that we'll come to their aid if they're attacked by Russia.