Office etiquette

whats up Veeky Forums, i just got my first job in an office and there is already a cunt i have to deal with. this girl has snaked her way onto my team (the most sought after team for new hires) and now she is going out of her way to step on toes. shes already said she is going to try to take on each role in the group, which i took as she is going to try and steal everyones work at some point or make people look bad.

my question is, when this girl goes out of her way to step on my toes, how should i handle it? has anyone else dealt with people like this?

>when this girl goes out of her way to step on my toes, how should i handle it?
write her up and make her sign it
refusal to sign, then get a witness

How many people are in your group? Do the other people understand her nature? Do they dislike her too?

>shes already said she is going to try to take on each role in the group

>SHE DO IT FOR FREE

let her do some/all of your work ,, take all the credit

problem solved

be a civil coworker and focus on doing a good job and impressing your superiors. eventually she is going to fuck something up or violate some rule and then you bring her down. you will have more credibility if you have not previously had issues with her and if you aren't known to stir shit up at work.

10, she makes 11. everyone is relatively young, and everyone else seem like team players. everyone gets along pretty good. i dont mind the girl at all right now, but ive worked with people like her before in none professional environments and know what to expect from her once the work load comes along. i really dont want to make alliances or any stupid shit like that. i just want to know how to make sure work i do is always credited to me without looking like an asshole

>let her do some/all of your work
i want to do my own work because it will be better than her shit. i was thinking of maybe trying to fake a mentor role for her once i get me footing. maybe try to display to management that i can help her out and that im helping her take baby steps. but i know that she is probably smart enough to pull some shit on me too

> eventually she is going to fuck something up
i know this, but she has a pretty good defense to this in that she is on another team as well, and the heat will fall on the main team members. and i dont care how shitty a team mate is, when a deliverable is due, i want it in on time and well done. i really just want to know how to deal with someone stepping on your toes. my initially reaction is to say back the fuck off, but in a professional environment thats not really possible.
>impressing your superiors
i've been trying to be either the first person in or the last person to leave so that the supervisors see me. other than that, any tips to stand out. my work is good but i want to do everything i can to stand out in the crowd

> The office bitch

Just placate her like a child.

Eventually she'll get taken care of. Office bitch's rarely last more than a year, and often times got the job by sucking someone's cock.

if she gets aggressive towards you for you doing your job and she wants to do it herself, just record it on her phone while you sit back and relax

it's illegal in my state to record anyone without them knowing. and she isnt going to act out of line while being recorded
there is one kid who seems to already be doing this, and he clearly understands how to act in the office. was thinking of acting like him and encouraging her but the girl blatantly told me the other day she wants to take on my role.. i just kind of stared at her (like an idiot bc i didnt expect someone to say im going to try and take your job out right) and said something along the lines of thats cool

Simple. Never talk to her. If she asks you anything you reply, sorry, I'm too busy at the moment, I don't have the time, please look it up yourself.

What she is doing is trying to appear like she wants to learn everything and is a real go getter, secretly she wants the easiest job that will pay the best.

Has she more power than you? Is she your boss?

If not then just avoid her as much as you can. Don't tell her any of your ideas and projects. Don't go and grab a coffe with her etc and put some distance between yu and her, bc she will probably say some nasty thing about you in order that you lose credibility. If people see that you don't talk to her/are not befriended, it'll be less probable they believe all that bullshit.

Also if she doesn't know anything about your work she won't be able to step on your toes.

or carefully convince another one of your co-workers (preferably one you don't like) that it's a good idea to ask her out. Best case scenario, they fuck for a month and then have massive office drama that leads to both of them getting fired or quitting. Or at least leaving your team.

I've encountered a similar situation at my last job. My team was much larger though around 50 or so. Is your boss the shitty control-freak type? If so, be careful because he'll probably nurture the behavior. If your boss is pretty reasonable I would recommend just busting your ass and staying friendly with everyone. If not, you might have to fight back a bit and let her know you're not taking her sit. It's harder than it sounds. My guess is she'll take every opportunity to talk down to you or order your around. You'll have to stay calm and push back. Don't be rude though. It won't happen just once, it'll be a constant battle. If it persists transfer or get a new job.

This is one of the reason I left that job. The mediocre workers were getting promoted because they were giving the impression they cared about their work. Management was either too stupid to notice or actually liked it.

>If it persists transfer
its a pretty sought after position, thats why the girl finagled her way onto the team. it will also be the most stressful, so transferring would appear that i couldnt handle it
>mediocre workers were getting promoted
i guess if i see her being praised/moving up its a good sign the company is shit. or it would be a good sign if the company is filled with a bunch of madeline albrights (our top manager is a woman, though she hasnt shown any favoritism yet)

my position on the team requires me to talk with every team member one-on-one on a daily basis

its more like she will ask if she can 'help' with my position so she could 'learn' the role

no one would be that desperate

this is a bad idea.This is playing the short term game in office politics.

Speaking from experience while working at the corp office of a large company, I made the mistake of not playing nice with a co-worker. This co-worker was IN with our direct boss and ended up getting me fired as soon as he had the chance.I stopped bullshitting with him, I was short with him, and avoided happy hours that he was going to.When he found out that we were merging with another company, he waited for the right day and told the boss that he could train our equal at the other company to do my job and they should let me go. A week later I was out the door.

I might have still gotten the boot if I played nice, but I doubt it. If he wasnt out to get me, I might have been able to use the merger as a chance to find my way into a dept with better people, instead the co-worker used the merger as a way to push me out.

Also, you never know who is going to make it to the spot above you. If this chick gets the promotion she is gunning for, how hard is she going to shit on you afterwards if you are a dick now? Your co-worker sounds like a person who is either going to self destruct in a week or she is going to sky rocket her way up the ladder, because even though she pisses you off and pisses your peers off, she is going to act like the worlds greatest employee to the bosses. She might climb the rungs pretty quickly.

Moreover, I have a former co-worker who now works for an amazing tech company. She was a dumbass and tried to throw me under the bus in the front of the VP once (unlike the other job this was a very small company, maybe 20 people) and instead of writing it off I played short term politics and set up meetings with the VP alone and started working on projects on my own. It worked in the moment, but now she has a good job at Netflix and I have no bridge to get there.Maybe she would have blocked me from getting to Netflix with her, but now i'll never know.

Clarify each persons role. Once done, email the 'clarification' to each person with a motivational, enthusiastic message that you're excited to be working with this team.

CC the boss

>she wants to step on your toes
you step on her toes

Is that the Cunt Commander in the pic?

Go to work, don't be a child and go home. Its really that easy.

Punch her in the fucking face.

no.

If you're in the highest paying department in your company and her personality type flourishes then you're definitely working for a shitty company. Unless your working in sales or something similar that requires a Type A personality. Not trying to be sexist but usually less vital or relationship based departments are usually lead by women. Could be a red flag.

The way you are describing it you pretty much don't need to do anything. She will eventually step on the wrong toes or too many and everyone will eventually feel how you do. Just don't lose you shit at her or treat her any different.

If not, then undermine her subtly in every way possible, if other staff confide in you she is useless then reinforce their opinions and get them worked up over it, sabotage her work, environment any in any subtle way. I say subtle so if shit gets real she knows its you but cant do anything about it.

So she hasn't do ne anything yet?
Just wait and see then

few drops of lsd would serve her good.

Have you read the 48 laws of power? Do it now.

I've dealt with this type in the past. Three things I learned

First, cover your ass. Do you job. Stop just shy of OCD-like so you're still approachable (and others don't resent/envy you) but make your work speak for itself.

Second, keep it vague when it comes to your personal information or feelings. The less people know about you the less they can use against you. Again, there's a balance here too as far as remaining approachable.

Lastly, don't worry what other people do. Do you. There's nothing to be gained from concerning yourself with petty games.

In other words, the way to win this kind of game is not to play it. They'll find softer targets, step on the wrong toes as someone already said or self-destruct on their own.

or this

Lol no

Easy peasy.

Just work hard and be friendly with her. If you work hard, your boss won't kick you out.
If you're nice to her, she will not hate you.

Either you get a promotion from working hard and being a team player, or she gets promoted and doesn't kick you out because you're a nice guy.