Films can be artworks

Let's discuss art films: high quality cinema. Not Iron Man 3 but rather Bergman or Haneke (what is more Veeky Forums than /tv/).

What are the best films out there, what is actually worth watching?
I've seen most Bergman movies and they don't speak to me at all. What then?

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/alexfung/list/sight-sound-2012-critics-poll/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ozu is cinema.

Bergman is filmed theatre.

Haneke just makes movies about how Germans and French are rude/psychopathic.

>Every 10 years, the ancient and venerable British film magazine, Sight & Sound, polls the world's directors, movie critics, and assorted producers, cinematheque operators and festival directors, etc., to determine the Greatest Films of All Time.

>Sight & Sound has been conducting its poll every 10 years since 1952. Because it is world-wide and reaches out to voters who are presumably experts, it is by far the most respected of the countless polls of great movies--the only one most serious movie people take seriously.

letterboxd.com/alexfung/list/sight-sound-2012-critics-poll/

How is Persona "filmed theatre"?

back to /tv/

>not a single Garbo movie

The list is shit.

his/tory/ or pseudo comic his/tory and/or work of cinematic art

- The Great Dictator (Chaplin)
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Metropolis
- Duck Soup (Marx Bros)
- Barry Lindon (example of how bad a movie can be. The Costumes and Art Direction are flawless but that is about it)

Revolver by Guy Ritchie

Veeky Forumstorically accurate movie.

Werkmeister harmoniak - bela tar
Stalker - tarkovsky
Metropolis - forgot his name

What makes people like romantization of history like in The Last Samurai, but dislike it in the Patriot?

Fritz Lang.

If you don't like Bergman, then art cinema might not be your thing.

But I would rather encourage you.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Apocalypse Now
Battleship Potemkin
Passion of Joan of Arc
Sunrise
Earth
Last year at Marienbad
Seven Samurai
Ivan the Terrible
The Leopard
M
Bicycle Thieves
Lola Montes
Sansho the Bailiff
Tokyo Story
Blow-up
RAN
Breathless
Woman of the Dunes
Citizen Kane
Wages of Fear
Intolerance
Vertigo
Touch of Evil
Once Upon a Time in the West
The French Connection
Man with a Movie Camera
Modern Times
In the Mood for Love
Napoleon vu par abel gance

I personally enjoy both since I'm not a butthurt anglo, though comparing the last samurai to the patriot is kind of unfair to the last samurai which while romanticizing, doesn't even come close to the patriot.

>What makes people like romantization of history like in The Last Samurai, but dislike it in the Patriot?

The main difference between those two films is that The Last Samurai is a cinematic masterpiece and The Patriot is garbage for dumb children. But in general I'm certainly more sympathetic to American revolutionaries than I am to samurai culture.

unfortunately most of what people consider to be 'good films' in terms of artistic merit are just formalist works that hide a great deal of what makes the medium any interesting out of fear it makes the film seem incompetent. film (and television) has been consistently behind the other visual arts by half a century

Shit, wait, not the Last Samurai, I was thinking of Seven Samurai. The Last Samurai is the one with Tom Cruise, right? Yeah, that's also dumb. Do people really like that?

Apart from putting a focus on an american rather than french hero, samurai not using guns and overall not being very critical of the samurai as an oppressive class, it's a very entertaining and well made movie. Like a nice last hurrah to the samurai and highlights the little bit of tragedy that comes with leaving all that behind to embrace the modern era. The soundtrack is amazing too, I'd recommend it. 8/10

>film
>art

Shoo

Man with a camera

Man with a movie camera*
by Dziga Vertov

To give examples of films that are artworks we have to decide the standards by which we judge what is an isnt an artwork.
I think it all depands on your education.

As an example, someone who loves history and philosophy and knows a lot about it will apreciate films that are full of throwbacks to histroical characters and philosophical questions.

Personally My idael film is one that when watches changes the viewers perception of life.
I am not talkign about some short lived sentimental quip or "life lesson" but things that really turn your head around and change you as a human being.
I cant think of examples.

By life lesson i mean when you watch a film and afterwards you feel like you should really give your parents a call cause life is too short yada yada.

Meaning that the most important part for me, is how the camera work, and editing and composition change your perspective on life, as oppose to the conclusions you can make about the plot's message.

I've been bumping with my nigga pasolini and accattone was good shit.

What are some good japanese worth checking out other than the big 3 of mizoguchi, ozu and kurosawa?

Using this possibility I'd like to ask you to suggest me some French films. I'm learning French and I want to watch something that worth to be watched without translation. Not a comedy.

Welcome to the NHK

Wes Anderson. Very good movies, start with The Royal Tenenbaums

The Patriot was a half-bad movie, mainly due to a cliche-ridden screenplay. Mel Gibson didn't help either.

The American Revolution hasn't been served well by film,

im having a hard time getting what you mean. can you (or someone) please clarify?