Capsule Wardrobe

A capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion. tems only, to maximise the number of outfits that can be created. The aim is to have an outfit suitable for any occasion without owning excessive items of clothing.

How many people here strive for a smaller, but versatile wardrobe?

Not wardrobe-wise but definitely footwear, used to have about 10 pairs but have cut back down to 3, allows me to actually appreciate and consider different styles and colourways more rather than being a retard and buying whatever comes out.

Not really but I buy clothing around things I already have, so at the end of the day it's one giant chain/web of pieces that all work in at least 2 fits. Essentially just filling in the gaps

yes at the cost of only having black and white everything the only exception being a pair of tan chelseas

also w2c clothes rack

I envy people who have such a minimalist wardrobe, like Rick who wears the same thing daily -- his "uniform", he calls it.

Would love to get to that level, but I like too much shit.

Pretend you're leaving where you live for 6 months to a year but can only bring one suitcase. What do you bring with you? Are there items that are missing that would round out the wardrobe (e.g. a pair of shoes you've wanted for a while but haven't bought yet)?

I'm working abroad right now and had to choose some favs in September to last me til next summer and it made me really consider what pieces were most important

I fell for the fast fashion meme and now have an insane wardrobe like I have about 30 pairs of shoes and ridiculous amounts of shirt and jackets esc. I've been trying to build a small but high quality wardrobe but I've still got all my old stuff. My problem is I can't really sell it because it's just junk from Urban Outfitters and Allsaints that's not really in fashion at the moment but at the same time don't want to give it away because they are nice garments. What do?

I kinda have something like that going on
Don't give a fuck about maximizing number of outfits but not owning excess is what I strive for

make a noose from your garments and hang yourself

You either let those pieces go or keep hauling around shit that you don’t want or need.

give to friends/family or sell to them at low cost. Otherwise, just give them away and don't make the same mistake again.

Now you have a supply of Christmas gifts, so they give them away and pretend to just be really generous

I wear mostly black and stick to one particular style and never follow trends. I expand if I find something that I really like but my rule is every item must work with my entire outfit. Otherwise I pass.
I still have and wear coats and leather jackets from 5 years ago (CdG H+, Undercover) because they still look like new and get even nicer with age.
Not hoping from style to style and 20 different brands is really relaxing and allows you to get both really quality and good warderobe of pieces you love and can wear even five years later.

yes

just going off the top of my head here but

>navy peacoat (brooks bros)
>black parka (zara)
>black blazer (theory)

>navy crew sweat (ll bean)
>olive crew sweat (usmc)
>grey qz (ll bean)
>wool navy qz (thrift)

>black/grey turtleneck (saks 5th / uniqlo)
>white button up (cos)
>black cord shirt (brooks)
>navy zip shirt (our legacy)
>flannel (thrift)
>grey/black/white/navy long/short sleeve tees (maybe 10 total / OL / mhl / outlier etc)
>olive short sleeve button up (mhl)

>black chino x2 (outlier / thrift)
>black jeans (ll bean)
>grey chino (carhartt)
>black / grey short (outlier)

>black red wing moc toes
>victory sportswear trainers
>black suicokes

>a suit

that's like less than 40 items total for all seasons and situations. anything new i get i get rid of something else. bonus points if you can figure out who i am in the waywt from this.

>go full Yohji
>may wear full Yohji from 20s to 80s

This is just an excuse for poor people

Not that user but this is what I did, I have a small cdg and Yohji wardrobe. It's a timeless look.

i think i could get away with basically two of everything;

>bomber
>parka

>black shoe
>black boot

>black jeans
>grey trouser

>sweatshirt
>turtleneck

>couple tees
>button up shirt

I'd prob want more shirts depending on occasion.

Full cdg & yohji is exactly what I'm doing, although I can't help but think a little more brand diversity would help. I've been thinking about implementing some Issey, Damir Doma, Craig Green and the likes.

oh and also I have that coat from the picture, it's probably my favorite yyph piece right now

Thinking about getting Suicokes, but they're expensive and had to find stores that carry to try on. Might get Chaco's Z/1 Classics

go with the suicokes if you at all can. saw a few for good deals on black friday. you wont need them until like may or june anyways so i'd hold out for what you really want

and just rent a suit when that occasion comes, I could live with this, maybe a white sneaker and athletic wear and I'm done

>tfw slowly building Yohji warderobe
>it will take at least one year until I have enough fits for all seasons
It fucking hurts, but I can't wait to throw away my COS and wear Yohji. Building a style and warderobe from zero is painful.

>going from cos to full yohji

Holy shit incoming catastrophe

good thing you pretty much can't go wrong with full yohji

I want to go full Yohji. Hence I slowly add stuff to Yohji warderobe but can't really wear it because rn all my warderobe is Uniqlo and COS. I huess it's easier for me to get into this style, I was a fan of him for many years, yet my income doesn't afford me to just cop four outfits for winter and summer each.

How do you guys afford the dry cleaning or have any methods for keeping them clean. I find it really annoying having to pay for to get my trousers and shirts washed since they are dry clean only.

First, never go in those outfits to places with high chance of getting them dirty (big party, gig etc.). Second be careful. Third just fucking bring them to local dry cleaning when they get dirty.

you don't have to clean wool and silk, that's why they are such nice materials, they are easy as fuck to care for

how do you take care of wool? just let it air out? if so, how do you properly air out wool knits without letting them stretch out?

I have a few yohji knits and wool garb pieces that I just bring to the dry cleaner whenever they get stained or I wear them enough.

>if so, how do you properly air out wool knits without letting them stretch out?

lay them flat on something like a wool garment rack

I personally think wool does need to be washed every once in a while but only with special soaps made for wool which won't remove the lanolin.

Not only you should be comfortable with the little clothes you have, but the clothes should last.

What do you do for cleaning? You'd have to do laundry a lot more often with a limited wardrobe, especially if you have shirts or pants left over that don't go with the others.

>You'd have to do laundry a lot more often with a limited wardrobe, especially if you have shits your pants

can anyone post examples of a male capsule wardrobe?

wtf are you still doing here tripsk? its been like, 5 years

good advice, thinking about it a lot

I feel ya man. Too many cool things to wear in the world to dress like OP's pic.

I tried to do this capsule wardrobe thing for awhile but for some reason it made me want to kill myself even more so than usual. Something about how bland it was and constantly having to do laundry.

I really like the idea though, maybe I'll give it another shot.