Is Fashion Fulfilling?

This is really stupid, but I don’t really know what to do.
I’m extremely depressed to the point of having psychotic episodes so I wanna fix something in my life. I really enjoy fashion and want to spend more money to get more clothes and look perfect, but I know I’ll still be sad. Getting more clothes has never helped me and I just hate my body even more when I do this shit.
Anyway, I hope /fa can weigh in. Has fashion helped you guys? Does it fill that empty space where a gf should be? I’ll be dumping some inspo too I guess, unless the thread becomes a pointless bump.

No, it doesn't quite fill the empty space, but it's still a nice source of self-satisfaction. It won't solely cure your depression but I'd still give it a go, even as a distraction

I LOVE YOU OP, LET ME CUM ON YOUR FACE

I’m not frogposter, I love her just as much as you do though

:( !!!! WHO IS SHE???

Wish I knew, she posts here quite often and I bet she has an ig. I’ll dump more and maybe we can summon her.

How old are you? How long do you have these problems?
Have you considered a doctor?

It's important to note that fashion isn't necessarily just clothes. By buying clothes all you really do is endlessly fill the empty void with things that you will eventually fail to care about. Try taking your interest in fashion to a different level. Watch runway shows, read shit like vestoj, or even try making and designing clothes.

Ultimately it's about finding fulfilment in fashion as a hobby rather than just endlessly consuming to make you temporarily feel better.

that's a nice room

Its a hobby and interest of mine, but if im depressed it doesnt really fill a void. The only thing that "fills" the "void" for me is sitting down with my therapist and figuring out why I am feeling so fucked in the first place.

Thanks for this, it seems really obvious but I tend to think in black and white. I didn’t even think of this.
I’m 18, I’ve seen a couple of psychologists, it’s not self diagnosed. The problem is I also enjoy writing and stuff and medicine just takes all my inspiration and personality away.
I guess I got a bit consumed, I’ll leave it as a hobby I enjoy.

To be honest I used to be stuck in a rut about a year ago. It was rough, depressed and anxious all the time even contemplated suicide. But among other reasons I pulled myself out and became obsessed with self inprovement almost to the point of narcissism. Fashion is just a part of making myself better. Fashion to look good with clothes on, working out to look good with clothes off. Also it's a great way to get really into something and you meet a lot of new people both in real life and through discord and such. Feels like you're a part of a community with it's own subculture and inside jokes and banter.

If anything it makes the empty space even larger, in my case. On the one hand, it's satisfying to appreciate good fits and develop your personal style that you feel like you own but on the other, there's always more you feel like you could do and there's always another item of clothing you need etc.
What I can say is that discovering the world of fashion has been fulfilling in itself, at least, and it feels as if I have opened up another creative avenue to pursue that wasn't there before. It has helped me feel more confident with myself in public. Even if my fits are trash, I still feel as if I am more 'put together'. I may be a mess emotionally but at least my clothes represent some semblance of structure in my life.

Fashion has only impacted me positively. It's made me more self-aware, it's encouraged me to lose weight, I feel more confident and it gives me an outlet to express myself and show others what I'm interested in. But like many other things, it's just a hobby. True happiness comes from different things for different people, so I can't REALLY answer your question.

molly soda

except maybe not

>Has fashion helped you guys?
Fashion has helped me a lot. When I was in highschool, getting into trendy shit is what got me from being seen as a nerd to being seen merely as an introvert. Well of course it was one of many other factors, but I am 100% convinced that working on my presentation is what allowed me to finally make "cool" friends and not end up alone and mocked as I was used to until then.

When I started to become interested by menswear and style/fashion theory, the change was noticeable. I gained quite some much needed confidence from the compliments it awarded me. In turn, this confidence ended up in me finally being able to have the courage to flirt with girls, which I used to be afraid of because I did not like what I looked like.

Finally, when I grew out of menswear and got into designers, it gave me the motivation to work on my body. I used to be a pear-shaped twink, which is absolutely incompatible with the style I'm after. Now I am proud of my physical shape. And what gives me the motivation to hit the gym is my reflection in the mirror when I wear shit that used to look ridiculous on me because of my shitty body proportions.

So yeah, fashion contributed a lot to my self-improvement.

>Does it fill that empty space where a gf should be?
It does not, but it helps a lot to find one. Also having a passion, especially one that allows you to express yourself, actually fills some space that would be left empty otherwise.

Fucking lamp is giving me Lynch flashbacks

You will eventually bore out of it like any other hobby if you are really depressed. And you will need proffessional help in a long run. I'm diagnosed with bipolar since three years and I wish I could prevent it go that far back then. During depression phases I barely can go outside or talk to anyone, have huge anxiety and spend whole day without eating or doing anything. I broke realtionships with all people who were close to me (parents, friends). Nobody can even force me to visit doc or take my meds, I just drag myself through the day for at least two years and it takes all my power to get shit done at job (luckily I live close to job and don't have to deal with many people here). Have constant suicide thoughts and I'm afraid one day I will actually do it and there won't be anything anymore to keep me going. I guess it's to late to go see doc anyway, but please - you should do it.
>t. 23 on literal suicide watch

>I’m 18, I’ve seen a couple of psychologists, it’s not self diagnosed. The problem is I also enjoy writing and stuff and medicine just takes all my inspiration and personality away.

try a therapist that's willing to work with non-medicated you
alternatively, try other meds

she told me she doesnt have an ig

You know what would help you overcome your depression?
Stop coming to this retarded toxic hell-hole of a board.

Do you have a solid group of friends? Do you exercise regularly and eat somewhat healthy? Do you have any fun hobbies that fulfill you in anyway?

If you don't have any of those things already in your life getting into fashion will not help, but it could distract you for a bit. I would focus more on the former before getting deep into fashion. Or do them simultaneously!

I don't think so. But i feel much better and confident going outside in clothes that have nice quality fabrics, pleasing colours and fit well (and by that i mean that aren't tight or uncomfortable in any position).

Yes, yes it is. You just have to have a goal

Yes I do, I just had a shityy childhood and a family history of mental illness

But depression has taken any joy out of all of these

Fashion is the icing, life is the cake.
That's something that Veeky Forums just doesn't grasp most of the time.
As for the life stuff, I've been there. I've struggled with depression since I was a teen, and after a couple of family tragedies in my early twenties I went into a deep, deep spiral.
It literally took me years to crawl out of it. I put on a brave face and kept up appearances but behind the icing, the cake was rancid.
I don't want this to sound like a "buck up, it'll all be okay" speech because I know first-hand that's not how depression works. It's a long, soul crushing ordeal where you have to take your life back piece by piece, but if you can get through it you'll be a better version of who you are and your fashion can communicate that to the world.
user, you will get there.

>babby's first depression

Around 6th grade, I really started to get into the whole emo/scene craze that was on the rise. I was always afraid of being judged, and my parents were way bigger fans of food than clothing, so I could only gradually get some outfits to fit the style. By about 8 and 9th grade, I was pretty deep in, wearing women's skinny jeans that sucked the life out of my legs but felt great at the same time, band tees, straightening my hair, only wore Vans, but I was also getting bullied probably the worst I ever had my whole life. I could tell that I was being judged by not only people at school, but by friends and family as well, so I gave it all a break and stopped paying attention to what I wore. Basically dressed in jeans or shorts and white tees every day. I also switched schools after 9th grade to a student base of only 100 kids. A year or so after high school ended I reflected a bit and realized how much I missed out on and was continuing to miss out on, and that I really wanted to express myself, regardless of what others thought. I felt embarrassed of the shitty clothes I'd been wearing and how little I did care about fashion. I started working and buying my own shit, getting mostly inspired by musical artists I was listening to, and now I'm here. I spend more money than I should be spending on dumb shit, and the happiness doesn't last long, but it makes me feel a little less out of place and better in public. I think it's something you need to pair with companionship if that's what you're truly looking for, because I know I am.

Looks like (s)he is about to fart.

It was a good post

If you can get through your day without the daily dose of medicine, you've won the day's battle. And i know it sounds cliche, but i find that it's easier trying to get by the day an hour at a time than to look at the week as a whole and have the endeavor look overwhelming.
Besides, there is no real art without some degree of suffering. Write, write, write, find an instrument, play an hour of vidya here and there, draw shit, read things. anything. Fill your time.
I drew this just the other day in a bout of bs i beat.
Having said all that, you look like a faggot. Looking like not that may help fulfill you.
best of luck, amigo!

Just noticed it wasnt you cause reading comprehension.
Either way, you probably still look like a fag.
Happy hunting!

I take fashion as a way of self-expression, having fun, and sometimes even art. It's not that I want to look perfect, but that I enjoy trying different things on me. This is why I like Japanese fashion

>maybe if I buy this product I'll finally be happy
kek, the dopamine reward your brain gives you when you buy something new can't sustain you forever user. Most people figure this out by the time that they're 16, but material things cannot give you lasting happiness

This is honestly the best advice and the first step to working through all our problems.

Woah love your art style a lot and thanks for the advice

To an extent it helps fill the hole. I personally like being able to say I have something bordering on a hobby or at least something I enjoy that isn’t vidya or shitposting on slovenian grass planting forums.

Wouldn’t say it fills the void where a gf should be though; fashion hasn’t made me entirely happy and satisfied but it’s a start, y’know?

Invest in yourself, find something you're interested in and put effort into getting better at it and try to get lost in it. This will build self confidence, help prevent depression, but if you're actually depressed the struggle will be getting interested in things again.

Read some stoic philosophy, brainpickings.com is a good start, plus whatever therapy you need. You can't fill the hole with materialism, but taking care of yourself and your appearance is a good emotional boost to dug yourself out.

It's generally best to avoid filling the holes in your life with buying shit, unless you're rich enough for it to not be an issue.

Also, no, fashion will not replace a gf or friends. If you need social interaction you need social interaction. The only way around that is achieving zen, I'd imagine.

>Getting more clothes has never helped me
so you know the answer already
try exercising, it won't completely heal you but it will get your mind in the right place

Fashion alone won’t but getting Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums will really change your self esteem I got somewhat Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums and my confidence is amazing!

Killing yourself will fill the hole forever. Your life will be complete.

She looks like she could of been a character in Freaks and Geeks.

alternatively, go here for the inspo and leave
all discussion on this board is awful and i've been here 4 years now

this is froggo, as far as i'm aware she has nothing to go follow/stalk her on

hello everyone, froggo here!!!
yall sumonned me
i dont have an instagram account or any other social medias im sorry and i dont plan on having one of these, but thank you for all your nice words, you all are sweet and i like you
you can find me in waywt threads sometimes so look for me yeah, see you soon! i hope your christmas was nice!!! happy new year!!! yes very happy indeed
xoxo froggo

>this coming from a roider and witch fucker