I have sort of an economics question

I have sort of an economics question.

If i have a hoodie that I purchased for $180 but it's worth $850 to other people, should I treat it as a $180 hoodie or a $850 hoodie?

My logic tells me $180 because that's what I bought it for but I feel like if you abide by economics it should be treated as a $850 hoodie.

You should treat it as being worth the maximum amount you would be willing to pay for it.

why the fuck did you make this thread? you answered it yourself. sage

That's not really an economics question, dude.

Ask yourself this: is there any chance that you will ever want to resell this garment? I mean a realistic chance, not "I'm like to tell myself I could resell it but when I'm honest with myself I know I'll never actually get around to it."

If there is a real chance, then treat it like an $850 hoodie.

If not, then it's not about how much it costs, it's about how much you like it and how long you want it to last. Price shouldn't really enter into that calculation. I try to take reasonably good care of all my clothes, but I have a couple of shirts I thrifted for $10 and that probably originally cost less than $50 that I take really good care of because I really like them and despite being cheap they'd be hard (if not impossible) to replace. See what I'm saying?

really not worth a thread do something better w ur time OP

Sell it and buy something actually good with that money

Unless you plan on selling it, don't consider it as any sort of exchange value at all, just as a use value.

that hoodie worth $20 like if it were H&M, same quality with a tacky logo

Treat it however you want.
If someone else is mad that you’re actually wearing a sweatshirt for comfort then that’s their problem.

Supreme hoodies are made at leaf land, so don't exaggerate by saying that is the same as h&m.

But op, sell it, those hoodies are garbage.

and who makes them on leaf land? the same asians who makes the chink shit in china, leaf land has more gooks than Asia

bape hoodie > supreme box logo

Supreme hoodies actually have impressive quality.

you could just treat it like shit then sell it for 200$ when its used up

$850 if you plan on selling $180 if you don't

Opportunity cost vs. actual cost. Econ 101. Honestly treat it as 850. Think about what the hoodie actually is and what it looks like, branding aside. Put your money into a designer pair of shoes and any plain hoodie. Maybe reigning champ or 2 different color reverse weave hoodies.

Fa is dead

sell it at $850

buy another 4 for $180

repeat quadrupling your money ad infinitum

yw

I have orange on grey but that brown looks really comfy rn

Impressive, no
Better than a$20 hoodie, yes
Better than a $180 hoodie, no

>Impressive quality

It amazes me people thing cost has any correlation with "quality", however that is defined, in fashion items.

>IF I BUY STOCK AT 50$ AND ITS NOW WORTH 500$ DO I SELL IT FOR 50$?
the hoodie is nice but definitely not worth 850$ or 180$ to me, but since there are mojority people who would buy it for 850$ and there are majority people who would sell it for 850$ that means that regardless of retail price, this hoodie now costs 850$ and should be treated like an 850$ hoodie

This

could not be more right

You should sell it and treat the 850 dollars you get like you just got 850 dollars like it was the easiest thing ever

you bought a fake hoodie so treat it as a fake one

How do you know OP bought a fake?
thinking emoji

>buy another 4 for $180

If you lived in NY with 4 others willing to wait in line with you or buy a bot and shop online. This brand became so hyped that it's almost impossible to get if your a first time buyer. That same shitty color hoodie sold out less than 5 seconds, even crashing the website for others.

It's worth about $10 in materials and labor.
Treat it like that.

from a financial point of view treat it as an $850 dollar sweater due to opportunity cost.

if you are asking how you should treat it in your day to day wear treat it like an ugly piece of shit you could buy at walmart because that's what it is.

assuming that op bought the supreme hoodie in the photo then nobody would sell a hoodie that retails $850 for $180 when they could easily sell it for much more and all fakes ive seen online usually go for those type of prices

You should sell that $3 worth of cotton for $850.
Don't be a stupid Veeky Forumsggot.

Wouldn't it be a $670 opportunity cost and a 5$ hoodie that had an opportunity cost of $180?
Because he already bought it, I don't think you can pass along opportunity cost like you're suggesting.

What if I bought the $25 class AA replica hoodie from taobao? What does it really cost? It looks and feels the same.

Seeing as you said $25 and this is Veeky Forums, it's probably worth somewhere around $10-25

no, the money is already spent, so he has two options
wear it and gain $0
sell it and gain $850

opportunity cost of wearing the sweater is $850, so it should be treated as such.

retail + shipping + tax

It's worth whatever somebody else will pay for it

The only economic answer in this thread