Fits in relation to their hosts

I know I'm inevitably going to seem like a cunt to this board by saying so, but I truly believe 99% of fashion is really quite cringey.

Hear me out. Correct me wherever you think I'm wrong, please.

For most and maybe all, how one dresses them-self is basically toward an image of how they think they should be perceived by their environment (perhaps really obvious). The clothes are an idea of themselves in relation to the world. These ideas themselves I'm finding just silly for lack of a better word, and in no apparent relation to the host themselves.

Take this picture here, posted in a recent waywwt thread. Its a sick fit, no doubt about it. I love it. 10/10. But. How does it relate to its host? And does this question matter? Perhaps there is reason for this to be overlooked?

The fit on the host says (or tries to say) "I'm a sophisticated, know my way around and am slightly badass. A traditional/minimalist style in my jacket, shoes and cross demonstrate that I am above any desire to express myself to you. The consistent black/grey tones say roughly the same."
Now look at his skin. he doesn't go outside. He weighs about 70kg or less, and is probably too young to really know shit about life or how to navigate it. The contrast of who he probably is and who he's claiming to be through this fit is probably substantial. I highlight "probably". My point is what are the chances? When these chances are applied to Veeky Forums as an example I think can safely say there is a substantial contrast between the majority and their clothes.

This all might be an autistic way of saying I find their to be a lack of authenticity.

TLDR I can't bring myself to dress further than a plain T, shorts and thongs HELP

post pusy in thong

I mean its not a revolutionary thing to realize that fa is full of cringey skinny faggots thats overcompensating for their insecurities.

But the point is that people want to express themselves. Even if their expression is a facetious one it is still a reflection of their mindset. Fashion ultimately is an aesthetic concept. And therefore how it appears from person to person should be a self expressive art form.

For example, a painter i know in real life makes paintings of dead corpses getting pissed on by animals. Said painter is a 5’2 preppy college girl. How does this painting relate to her? It doesnt. Except purely on an aesthetic basis

I understand what you mean and I feel this is what drives alot of men away from fashion. The fact that they feel like they are 'lying' to themselves and the others around them in some way.

The way I look at it is that fashion represents 2 things, the first of which is how much someone respects their image. Which may be vain or vapid sure, but is also simply showing the world that they give a shit about themselves and those around by presenting them selves as something nice to look at. This is the simpler part of fashion, dressing 'nice', which is what most people strive to achieve.

The other more complicated reason is a demonstration of what that person admires or thinks is cool, in a philosophical artistic kind of way. e.g dressing in all black shows that they admire bleakness, and think 'edge' (for a lack of a better word) is cool. Someone may dress as a lumberjack or a cowboy cause they admire traditional manliness and cultures. I myself dress fairly gothic with a luxurious edge (velvets, sleak boots etc.). I know for a fact that I am not trying to fool others into thinking im a part of old royalty or that my existence is bleak. But these are aesthetics that I admire and am fascinated with. I would say alot of the time this aspect boarders on self indulgence, but so is alot of art and its really my decision, I get to enjoy the things I enjoy and take any flack for how I've decided to live my life.

thats not a 10/10

fuck off bane

Your first sentence is great.

>How does this painting relate to her? It doesnt. Except purely on an aesthetic basis

So one should also dress on a purely aesthetic basis? Without care for how it relates to them-self?
I see a distinction between fashion and painting. They're both art yes but fashion also serves a social purpose.

literally what is so special about it?

skinny jeans?
docs?
ill fitting top?

shit is the Veeky Forums plebs checklist

what are you gonna do now? copy him and paint your nails too? fucking hell

I think someone could argue that fashion is not about who you are at that given moment at that point in time, but is instead about dressing as who you want to be. There is a gap.

Fashion is to me at least ultimately about how I feel in the clothes, not what I look like to others. People can interpret 100 different things from my outfit, so if you dress in a way that attempts that to give information about yourself to others, you're setting yourself up for failure.

I don't think this is the best articulation of what I'm trying to say, but I hope it helps,

This is a really silly post.

People wear fashion for different reasons. Some people wear fashion because it affords them the ability to express their preferred aesthetic. Others wear clothes in the effort to impress upon/ signal their wealth. Others dress as the person they'd like to be.

Its not inauthentic for the guy in the pic to wear that fit, he's wearing it because it probably makes him feel confident and thats reason enough.

Next thing you're gonna tell me girls shouldn't wear makeup because its inauthentic lmao

> is also simply showing the world that they give a shit about themselves and those around by presenting them selves as something nice to look at.

I don't think there is reason to give a shit about ourselves to the extent a lot of this fashion elevates us to. Unless you are saying clothes don't need to relate to their host, Is there a logical reason to not incorporate humility into dress?

Not to add anymore edge then is necessary here, but I think us as humans are kind of low and shitty. At least in contrast to where we think we are. Where is this represented in fashion high culture? It seems to all be kids playing some sort of fantasy dress party.

post your fit

Jesus Christ buddy you're insecure as heck.

>for most and maybe all etc.
You're pigeon holing the fact that putting clothes on your body necessarily requires a decision or choice of some kind, but there are tons of possible things that could drive that decision other than projecting an image. The most obvious example is a homeless person..

>the fit on etc.
This is just your highly, highly, highly, highly subjective perception, you don't know what things he associates with those clothing choices. Everything else is conjecture. This is sort of like a strawman you're creating here with no actual evidence.

Have you ever quoted a movie character for fun? Maybe you quoted John Wayne once... BUT WAIT you're not a fucking cowboy how dare you be so inauthentic!!!! A lot of people who are into fashion like to recreate "projected images" of hypothetical characters because it is fun for them, sort of like cosplaying. It's not supposed to be serious. Some just enjoy the way a certain aesthetic looks, the way you might enjoy a painting, or hear a song and sing along, or play that song on an instrument yourself. Others are trying to become what their clothes project and dressing the part is a step in their movement from not-that-thing to that-thing. How could anyone ever become anything if they never spend a period as not-that-thing-but-trying-to-be-that-thing, it would be Achilles and the tortoise all over again my dude. As you can see there are probably thousands of directions you could take for why you're wrong, I hope the few I've listed helped.

>Jesus Christ buddy you're insecure as heck.
I think its logical to be this way.

>but there are tons of possible things that could drive that decision other than projecting an image

I'm not saying a fit necessarily is projecting an image as a whole (although for many this is true).

>you don't know what things he associates with those clothing choices. Everything else is conjecture

We aren't so unique for the choices made to be unpredictable conjecture. Closer to the opposite. Take his shoes for an example. The idea of the shoes between you, me and him are fundamentally matching. Sure there are preferences but 99% of the idea remains the same.

This is sorta dumb tbqh.

A fit is cringey if it makes people cringe. While obviously there are certain styles you simply cannot pull off if you're at the wrong stage in life - regularly dressing in a suit in college will look try-hard, streetwear will look stupid when you're 35 - the main way to look like you belong in your clothes is to pick them carefully and then wear them like crazy. I have no clue whether it's true or not, but there's a story that when Sean Connery was first tapped to play Bond, he looked fucking awkward in the suit, and so the director gave him homework - he had to eat in the suit, sleep in the suit, do everything in it for a few weeks, and by the end he wore it thoughtlessly, like it was a second skin, and obviously he looked badass. Note that the director did not tell him he had to go out in the suit and act like a spy.

Conversely, I literally used to work as an archaeological field tech. If there's anybody who could pull off dressing like Indiana Jones you'd think it would be an actual archaeologist, but do you think ANY of my coworker did that? Fucking fuck no they didn't, even though we all loved those movies, we knew it would look the same on us as on almost anybody - like a costume. If anything they stayed farther away from that look than most people have to. In terms of their actual life skills and profession the whole "adventurecore" look is arguably one of the few they we did have the background to pull off but they didn't because that's not how it works, it looked much better to just wear more normal stuff that was in line with our personal aesthetics.

The question for the guy in the fit you posted is not "is he badass enough to pull it off" but "does it look natural on him, does he wear it well." And you really can't tell that from his skin tone. It's about posture and body language, you'd need more than a picture.

Read the second paragraph, dressing to look nice is only a part of what fashion is. Its what most people are trying to achieve. But alot of us are trying to go past that and become more expressive and artistic

not be be rude or anything, but i feel like your missing the point of fashion as art. It doesnt have to have a point, its merely a comment on itself and the person who made it.

I do agree with you that a lot of fashion is cringey. But there's a difference in fashion and using fashion to express yourself and develop your personal style. A lot of the clothes designers do are a shot in the dark about what's going to sell. For example, looking at the image you posted, I don't think there's anything wrong with that fit. That's how I dress on a day to day. It's very stylish but it's not fashionable right now. Right now, fashion is about oversized fits and fat trainers. I just see that guy dressing the way he wants too.

>I mean its not a revolutionary thing to realize that fa is full of cringey skinny faggots thats overcompensating for their insecurities.

/this. Most people think that they fail in life when they aren't ripped 10/10s. I've seen ugly faggots going out with real qts and shit.

It's not just about the look - It's about coinfidence and character too.

we cant all be mopey depressives

>ill fitting top?
Where is it ill-fitting?

>Now look at his skin. he doesn't go outside
the worst part is his face in general, awful acne, no fucking jaw and the babbiest soyboy face to ever find Veeky Forums, the contrast to what he is wearing is stupid ridiculous

You can see his jawline in the photo and its at a godawful angle. Wym? Skin still makes him look like a pasty faggot but the jaws there

The reason your argument (that fashion is "cringey") falls flat is because not everyone dresses to be perceived a certain way.
Some people dress because they like the look, because they like the subculture, because they just feel comfortable in it.
There are so many reasons to why they're wearing what they're wearing.
Hell, if someone has hole in their tshirt, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're poor, it can mean that they don't care about a hole or two.

It's just the people look at a fit and start to judge the person, and they're obviously extrapolating in that case.

Though a good way to go about this is to think of clothes as an estimator of the person.
If a girl wears docs, fjallraven kanken, colored hair, and choker or something, it's a damn good chance it's an "art hoe" sjw.
But clothes are still an estimator, so when you do talk to her, it might happen that she's the total opposite of what you thought.

Clothes are estimators of a person, not something definite.

Really good explanation my dude. Not op but i like this