/frag/ - Fragrance General (also known as /fg/)

LAST THREAD ---
BBC perfume documentary (part 1 of 3):
[YouTube] BBC Perfume documentary Part1 "Something old, something new" (embed)
---
general info
fragrance.org/intelligence/knowledge-center/
perfumesociety.org/discover-perfume/an-introduction/
---
various fragrance communities/review sites/blogs
fragrantica.com/
basenotes.net/
parfumo.net/
nstperfume.com/
boisdejasmin.com/
----
w2c samples
luckyscent.com/
theperfumedcourt.com/
surrendertochance.com/
perfumista.co.uk/
ausliebezumduft.de/fragrances.html
---
on DIY fragrances
perfumersapprentice.com/

>(also known as /fg/)

DELET THIS

>Except it can be a pretty expensive hobby compared to music.
Yes, but I think the experience of the senses is pretty priceless

My favorite frags are Black Aoud, Intelligence & Fantasy (feminine, I dont wear it outside the house), Tilda Swinton Like This (feminine too), Fusion Sacree Obscur, and I might cop a bottle of Clive Christian Rock Rose at some point

Oud Mineral by Tom Ford was also pretty great

Honorable mention to Amour Nocturne

Redpill me on Dior Homme Intense. Should I blind buy?

Don’t make any rash impactful decisions.

When you're feeling out of sorts it’s tempting to make big decisions (maybe you’re going to quit something, join something, or maybe you are "never doing something again").

Remember that when you're experiencing a social/over-stimulation hangover that you are in a temporary state and that your body and mind are trying to cope with what you've done to them. You are not in a fit state to make any big reactionary decisions. Just leave it until tomorrow.

Can Veeky Forums please recommend me some Parfumes (highest concentration)?
I have pic related and it literally lasts me through a 12 hour work shift.

How do fragrances differ for females? Want a daily wear scent for the small, shy GF

marketing

blind buy if you have money to burn, scent is so subjective it's stupid to blind buy otherwise

I like BdC EDP but hate the grapefruit opening with the incense, but love the smokiness of the mid. Should I opt for Dylan Blue instead?
Though I may warm up to Bleu with more wearings

Yeah I do have money to burn.

Although at this moment I cant decide between DH Intense or CDG Wonderwood. I use to work in carpentry/workshop and always loved the smell of wood. Perhaps I should go with CDG?

I know there's probably no consensus on anything here but any thoughts?

wonderwood is the supa hot fya. i cant wait for mine to get here; its taking forever.

Have you sampled it? Does it have any resemblance of oud? I hope not because I don't dig oud in any way.

This stop pushing /fg/ homo

yes i have. i honestly haven't tried enough fragrances with oud to be very discerning of it, but I'm going to say no. I don't really get any sweetness from wonderwood, and very minimal incense. Its smells like lumber, with a hint of pepper, and a very clean muskiness.

Most reviews I've heard/read also claimed their nose did not pick up on any oud.

>Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue
On paper I'm digging this a lot, will check out thanks

Kek, from meme pic to meme pic.

Has anyone here tried AdP Quercia? A dude just sent me a sample of it.

Jesus Christ when JCM sits on the skin close (after 20 minutes practically) its more sickening as you catch whiffs of it and think you can adapt and tolerate it. Tried scrubbing it off but it literally won't come off. Semi-extreme measures needed?

Use rubbing alcohol.

Ty user.

Which of the following does /fg/ feel to be the most overdone combo/theme?

Fruity-Floral
Fruitchouli
Marine
Rose-Oud
AmbroxNuke
Woody Citrus (especially the ones fuelled by ISO/Norambrinol)
Pure Sugar

whats /fg/? wrong thread bro this is /frag/

This. Dunno what this /fg/ people are talking about is.

And rose-oud is the most overdone combo in niche perfumery.

That's an Eau de Parfum, friendo. And there are many EdT concentration scents that will last for a full 12 hours. Just ask us for long lasting fragrances and stop making concentration part of the discussion, because things don't work exactly as you seem to think.

Reliably long lasting EdT:
24 Gold Oud
Bvlgari Aqua Amara
Guerlain Vetiver
L'Eau Majeure d'Issey
Molecule 01/04
Encre Noire / Sport
Bleu de Chanel
Sauvage

There are too many high performance EdP to list, but basically any Mancera / Montale / Bond No. 9 / Creed will offer performance at least on par with AdG Profumo (which again, is not a pure parfum or extrait concentration).

Where did the myth come from that AdGP was extract concentration?

Bleu de Chanel EdT or EdP? And why?

EdP

lasts longer

is there any chance the edp would react differently on my skin? the edt doesn't seem to suit my body chemistry

Awesome. I just copped a bottle.

Now the waiting begins.

out of curiosity, where did you purchase? Kind of hard to find, especially the 50ml... i went with a seller on ebay, I hope I don't regret it.

I bought at luckyscent. I know I could get cheaper on ebay but at least I won't get screwed over by chance.

Newfag here willing to dive into niche stuff what do you guys think of my selection? I wanna get more samples but don't know what to add, any recommendations? No weird shit though. 1/2

2/2

Where do you live? I never see the point of spending so much on tiny sample vials. If you live in any major city, pop down to a decent department store like Selfridges, Harvey Nick's etc. They'd contain most if not all the houses you listed. And you get to smell and apply on skin free of charge, and have a conversation about it.

From the ones I recognise that's a good selection. I'd also put on, Oud Minerale
Anything else by Amouage and Black Orchid

What's the website by the way?

Just ordered my first samples

Tom Ford Cafe Rose, Tobacco Vannille, Shanghai Lily, Tuscan Leather and Santal Blush
Also Burberry London and Estee Lauder Cinnabar

I have no idea what any of this means, though I used to do snuff so my nose is trained to very fine degree

Can anyone recommend a fragrance to someone who absolutely loves the openings of Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Prada Amber Pour Homme, and Amouage Reflection Man but finds the dry down to all three revolting?

I didn't care for Fierce, didn't like MB Legend, and didn't care for the mint in Le Male.

Any recommendations?

Youre probably not gonna like those tom fords hahah

It doesn't say eau de parfum anywhere on it

Why not? I am used to snorting perfume scented tobacco up my nose

Does anyone have that big beginners graphic? Thanks

idk, you're new to perfume and those are just intense and mature fragrances, some quite feminine.

I tried most of those once and dropped them.

I could be wrong though... idk your age, sex, or style.

god what a shit OP we had. here you go user

love you friendo.

Recs on not too expensive, woody/tobacco-y frags?

Is Oriflame Architect a good blind buy? Coming from Burberry London, which is pretty good for me, but interested in trying something slightly different (yet in the same family)

hmm, arch. student who loves woody fragrances and now i want to sample it semi-ironically

$30 on amazon, generally positive reviews, very similar to BL... probably a safe blind buy in your case.

Dolce and Gabbana the one

Best amouage fragrances? Already have Reflection and I'm in love, favourite fragrance to date.

Jesus Christ, /frag/ was right, I'll never doubt you again.
What a shit tier meme pic related is. I'm better off with the cheapest perfumed water that the cheapest barber sprays on all of his 80yo clients after the patchiest shavings in town. Trite af. How in the world is it possible to produce such a shit in this year? Literally a cologne for someone with no critical thought that smells this, associates it with male colognes (because it's trite af) but advertising and name tell him that it's a pussy magnet and that he'll become a fucking rockstar so he buys it until the end of his miserable life.

Its shoot in the dark because you don't like a lot of things
Try Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur, John Varvatos Artisan Pure, Creed Aventus, Tom Ford Oud Wood, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, A*men Pure Malt

Also try list.

I don't want to say we told you so, but we all fucking told you so.

Pic is for propriety.

Another one here, and The Architects Club by Arquiste didn't strike me as particularly memorable.

So far, M/INK by Byredo seems most suitable for an architect. Smells of black india ink. But who are we kidding; today we'd sooner smell of photocopied sheets and heated electronics over any sort of ink and wash.

I have only just, JUST found out about Amouge's attars. I've known and smelt the normal perfume range (which Christopher Chong is in charge of, the attars being a separate department, interestingly) and my favourite from there is Gold Woman, followed by Jubilation XXV.

And then reading about Luca Turin's and Kafka's review on Amouge Homage makes my clench my fists in envy. I want to own it. I want to have that bottle in my safe, locked away for propriety.

But it's far too rich for my blood. Maybe I'll gift it to myself when I graduate or on a massive occasion... by which time it'll have gone from the face of the earth, and quadrupled in price.

>pic related; 3ml for £139 on eBay as of now

Ahh I'm starting to think that maybe cologne isn't for me then; I already sampled most of those.

I appreciate it though user.

Bought to blind purchase this. What am I in for?

I work sales in a high end shopping centre with a really big fragrance section that I walk though on the way to my pad every day. I tend to try a new perfume every day because why not.

I have tried so many perfumes. Fords, Creeds, Versace memes, Chanels, Penhaligons. Miyakes, Bvlgari... most of the highly regarded fragrances.

I try all this shit and nothing, no comments at all. I put of Sauvage for a day and 3 chicks told me that I smelled amazing. I prefer a nice Ford or Creed myself but give some credit to Dior, it fucking works

What gucci scent would you recc?

Gucci make garbage scents

Citrusy and floral top with a very light musk base.

Smells good but it is nothing special.

must be one decent one out there
what about balenciaga

Finally got JC man off after about three rounds of rubbing alcohol and one of the hottest showers i've ever taken. Time for some oakmoss, jasmine and ioniones to cure this PTSD

Of all things why are you buying fragrances because of their brand name?

Haven't tried Balenciaga fragrances but considering their website gives a description of the bottle style rather than the scent... not looking good.

>Encre Noire Sport
My skin never holds any fragrances more then a couple of hours. Just bought EN Sport, and it's gone after a few hours. Same with all my other frags. And even if I get good longevity when I try something, it either doesn't project (eg Rocky Mountain Wood) or smells like Axe (Eros - seriously, how could this synthethic, sweet mess ever compete with something like EN Sport?)
And it's not olfactory fatigue.
I've tried applying less, more, on different places, scentless soap, etc.
Do I really need to switch over to more 'dominant' Axe-scents like Invictus etc?
Wat do?

because big guy, I have a particular affinity towards the designs those brands create therefore i'm inherently curious as to what scents they'd conjure up

doesn't take a genius to figure that out

>On Basenotes where people suddenly turn verbose to the point of pretentiousness, because they get defensive over a different opinion.

What is this condition anons?

>for you

idk having a high IQ? Literally nothing wrong with being verbose m8

Maybe I didn't clarify too much. Not saying being verbose is wrong, I love kafka for their in depth reviews. But when they take it to the point where they need every single word to be verbose and stretch it as far as they can, almost like they are winning an argument by being verbose to that degree.

Hard to describe but you'll know it when you see it.

Also being verbose doesn't really pass for high IQ. Correlation causation and all that.

Do you even understand what IQ is?

> getting this hung up on the IQ meme
relax fellas, used it as a substitute for smart and nothing else

sure being verbose can be pretentious but pretension isn't bad in and of itself, let people waffle on if they still get their point across

enabling a lack of effort under the guise of being concise and succinct is sad

Expending more words than necessary to get a point across is quite the opposite of being smart

sometimes it's nice to read a nice flowery review rather than something short and sweet

it does get grating if it's not done well, reading the spectator for instance is exhausting but it makes for a nice change as most people rape the english language nowdays

Yeah, this is the thing. I’m not a fan of Sauvage, obviously most people here aren’t either, but women do genuinely seem to love it. Every time I go into a store to inquire about a scent, if the sales rep is a girl, she’ll always ask if I’ve tried Sauvage and how it’s her favorite. Doubt it’s just salesmanship because I’m usually looking to buy something much more expensive, so if anything, she’d be downselling me.

I only know Balenciaga’s women’s fragrances, but my mother loves Florabotanica. I bought her a bottle a while back and it’s her new everyday scent. Actually pretty nice stuff.

to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Dior Fahrenheit. The scent is extremely avant-garde, and without a solid grasp of theoretical perfumery, most of the notes will go over a typical wearer's head.

Which iteration of Acqua di Parma Colonia smells modern? The original ones smell like old man, pretty much like the old Eau de Sauvage.

Try Azzaro Wanted desu. It has some of that Platinum Egoiste / sweetness but retains it through the drydown.

Also, it's not necessarily similar smelling to Platinum Egoiste, but you might enjoy the vibe of Dunhill Icon.

>Wat do?
Take up heavy hitting perfumes like roseouds and patchoulis. Montale and Mancera will be your very best friend. For a summertime freshie you can rely on Bond Scent of Peace fH.

Let's discuss your personal care regimen, though. What brand of bath soap are you using, and is it gel or bar? (Antibacterial bar soap such as Dial is best imo) Which deodorant are you using and why isn't it the Crystal?

Where / how many sprays are you giving yourself?

Huff a whole tin of Dholokia Chocolate Rose and get back to me.

I liked Gucci Guilty Black but totally understandable if somebody on /frag/ hates it.
It starts with generic cologne fougere tone but ends up with very heavy dry cold cedar wood.

Montale, Mancera etc and 80s powerhouse type perfumes could be really extreme.

Try Montale Black Aoud
They are one of the best in cost performance ratio if you exclude Middle Eastern brands.

I am fine with descriptive imaginative details like "fecal matters on middle eastern street" but hate perfume history classes in reviews. Write about the perfume, not about the time when a historical perfume launched!

Uhh... Try assoluta and if it fails search another brands. The concept of that brand is the traditional Italian feel cologne I believe.

I agree. Fragrantica's articles (sometimes badly disguised ads) on certain scents are basically no substance once you take away general descriptions of the notes and the maker/history etc etc. It's kinda sad considering some of them are apparently educated people, they may be passionate but in a few cases it looks like churning reports out more than anything. It's just there's nothing enticing about unsubstantial information and descriptions that are almost word for word from the brand's website, nothing to make you actually want to check the fragrance out. Apart from knowing if a vague category might be to your taste.

Looking to get myself a new frag after trying some samples out soon.
Is the Allure Homme line worth testing and pick the one I like best?
Interested in Edition Blanche and Sport the most

That looks like an amazing opportunity. Do you have other colognes that get that kind of effect on the ladies?

Both Blanche and Sport are nice. Very different though.
If you ask me, I'd say that I like the EdT Allure HS over the EdE. And the EdP Edition Blanche over the EdT.

saved

Lyric Man.

So I just bought 1 million as my first fragrance since some Veeky Forums list said it was good for beginners. Did I make a mistake?

yes, its a meme

sauvage is the superior meme

It's not a bad first scent, smells good/inoffensive and gets compliments. The thing is the list you've found is probably dated, from a time when it wasn't such a widespread meme. So if you live in a larger city, you'll pass by at least 5-10 guys wearing the same scent every day, if that isn't something that would bother you then you didn't make any mistakes

Real shit?

Ok, that's fine for now since it's my first time wearing perfume in general. I'll just do more research so my next fragrance is a little more niche

notino.com

Jubilation. I also like Beach Hut a lot, though it doesn’t smell beachy at all. More of a fresh, green, woody, minty vetiver scent.

>inb4 even hookers won’t fuck you

For the record user, i wouldn't start off buying anymore more than 100 bucks on your journey. I think it's better to start with cheaper bottles of things and then move up once you have a better idea of what YOU are into.

I like pour homme II. I think the fact that it takes cinnamon and makes it a warm weather fragrance is really cool,g since for me, cinnamon is more of a winter thing.

Apparently Pour Homme I is really good if you can find it still