Off-White

Genius or a hack?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_theatre
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trash.

Non troll response. As a business, how he was able to manipulate people to give a shit about his "art" is nothing short of genius. His ability to create a cohesive image for his brand no matter how tacky or trashy is at the very least respectable, if not impressive. As far as his actual designing ability, 99% of what he makes is absolute garbage. I have not seen a non-shit shirt or hoodie by him ever. However, he always has a piece I think is amazing like pic related (I would never buy though).
tl;dr both

Hoodies, caps and just the general logo is trash, but he's made some good outerwear, like example. The hype and over branding is what kills the brand for me personally.

I sometimes look at his art and think to myself "Wow, this is so simple and lazy, that could've been me! Anyone could have made that!".

But I'm just jealous I guess.

The Ten was pretty cool but Virgil does put out a lot of overpriced garbage
I'm actually considering paying resale on the Jordan 1 because I'm still salty I couldn't get it

We're all just jealous

The best Nike shoe was the Blazer

I think the whole "Quotation Mark" thing was interesting the first few times, but now it's overdone and just a meme

No niggers have ever been good fashion designers.

They don't have the cognitive abilities required to make good designs. Niggers aren't capable of coming up with something thought-provoking, emotional, philosophical or introspective.

I actually really like the jackets from Off-White but that shit's too expensive

I'm probably the only person on Veeky Forums who likes stuff like this, but I'm a big Caravaggio fan and think these designs are great.

Comparing Marcel Duchamp's self-aware mockery of the Art world to Virgil uninspired streetwear is a bit of a reach.

His womenswear collections do have their moments but everything else he has produced has been uninventive and lazy from the get go.

Off-White is ironic, therefore it's comparable to Duchamp.

Except Duchamp was consciously shitposting and didn't care about acceptance from the art world. Abloh is sorta the opposite.

HOWEVER all these successful hype brands are amazing at marketing. They kinda have to be to sell such mediocre pieces for so much cheddar. I'm not mad at them for taking money from idiots. I'd rather they get the money than the Saudi trillionaires who own many of the major fashion houses.

>D-do I fit in yet, guys? Heh.

Is this picture ironic?

What does it say?

What meaning is it trying to convey?

Are there any social, historical or cultural implications/themes there?

>being this missguided
Off-White is not ironic lmao
You could argue that Vetement's is ironic but definitely not Off-White

I'd like to learn from Virgil and possibly volunteer for him and/or just get a chance to observe his creative processes.

I wanna write to him, do you think he's ever going to reply?

What kind of a "Caravaggio fan" would want to see his paintings as a shitty cropped colorless print. Oh my god it has no color, he took the fucking color out of a famous oil painting and you're a fan HOLY FUCK HE TOOK OUT THE COLOR AND PUT IT ON A SWEATSHIRT AND YOU'RE A BIG FAN HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

he's excellent at playing the fashion and hype system, clothes wise very mediocre

his womens line isn't that bad tho, a lot better than the mens stuff

It's an example of where your major fashion house money goes.

SOMETIMES THEY REPLY.

CHEERS,
R

It's been given a new package.

Just like Duchamp, Debord or Warhol in the past, Abloh is effectively deconstructing the meanings associated with older works of art. What he does brings a new meaning to the piece, he offers a different perspective on what Caravaggio's paintings are capable of being outside of the traditional style.

I took him selling screen printed champion shirts with stolen graphics from renaissance painters for $500 as self aware. Considering his ability to abuse the market I think it is a fair assumption, or I could be giving him too much credit.

so entry level postmodernism wowee

Complete garbage.

Zombies seems to enjoy throwing away money though so good for them.

You don't get it. The irony of duchamp is that these pieces like fountain that were basically a big fuck you to the art community became the biggest icons of 20th century art.

Well, it's enough for people who don't know shit about postmodernism to fall for it.

>NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENT THING THAT ISN'T WHAT IT WAS IS NOW NOT THAT THING IT WAS BEFORE IT WASN'T THAT SO THE DIFFERENT THING THAT WAS THE SAME BUT CHANGED INTO WHAT IT WON'T BE NOW ISN'T THEREFOR THE NEW OLD SAME DIFFERENCE ISN'T NOT BADLY GOOD

Mhm mhm very convincing. (If your qualification for something with value is bringing a new meaning to it, literally every single change that happens in existence all take on an equivalent value and render the whole thing useless as a determinant btw)

I'm gonna screencap this post and print it out on my t-shirt above Virgil Abloh's face.

Okay you post it and I'll screen cap that and print it on my t-shirt. Tortoises all the way down brother.

No one knows but him. But from the footage I've seen of him in studio, it seems like there's a lot of people holding his hand, and he doesn't seem to have very much fashion knowledge.

I guess you could argue that he's an outsider artist or a rebel, but he also seems to desperately want to be taken seriously and be a part of the club.

>it seems like there's a lot of people holding his hand, and he doesn't seem to have very much fashion knowledge
Wow

real shit?

>Y-yes Virgil I guess that would classify as "art"
When he puts those quotes on stuff I always look for a second meaning or any meaning at all and a good percent are just basic nouns so I don't really get the whole "quotation mark" meme

>Quotation marks are one of the many tools that Abloh uses to operate in a mode of ironic detachment…Abloh rejects the who-did-it-first mentality of previous generations in favor of the copy-paste logic of the Internet and its inhabitants. His new order is protected by a fortress of irony.

Kinda obscure of a reference, but I kinda liken it to the alienation effect of Brechtian theatre, where choices are made in plays emphasize the artifice of the theatre.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_theatre

In Abloh's case, it's sort of a meta statement of the functionality/purpose of the clothing?

Regardless what you think of him he is 100% an outsider artist in the fashion world. Whether he is a self aware genius or the luckiest poser is ultimately, as you put it, only known by him.
I used to oscillate between these views till I saw his women's collections, His men's outerwear, and the nike collab. He clearly can design. But when you're caking off brainless stripes and stolen imagery why the fuck would you stop?

Wow so he tricks hypebeast into buying his shit. Sounds like supreme

I like the way you're thinking but you have to remember that Abloh is a postmodern shitter and thusly will always avoid that level of specificity. The quotation marks open up a dialog and generate thought.. to be honest that's probably about as deep as it goes (again, he's a postmodern shitter).

(not mine)

I like to call it Kooky Kike-izm

You sound like an idiot. Caravaggio wasn't well known for his use of color. He's a master of light. Taking the color away doesn't make some huge "omg now we can't appreciate the art" difference. If anything it highlights what made his paintings so great

You sound like an idiot. You don't understand that the function of light is inseparable from color and Caravaggio used color for the same 'being-known-for-ness' that light did, but coincidently the babies-first-art-course meme that is associated with him and his time forgets to talk about that (hmmmm). You have it almost backwards, the color IS what highlights (light in a painting is color for fucking christs sake, and not just plain white) the greatness of his paintings.

Kind of ironic in some way that you're behaving like this about a brand called off-white.

The worst

i have a friend who started labeling every single item he owns with the quotation mark & caps lock bullshit.
"WATER BOTTLE" "NOTEBOOK" "MACBOOK" with sharpie on everything. i try to avoid him these days

Genius and Hack are not mutually exclusive paradigms.

Kinda funny desusenpai.

Why the fuck is it 'interesting' anyway?
It's like Margiela for retards, he has to spell out shit because the average hypbeast doesn't understand the first thing about deconstruction

I dont care much for Off-White but the people in this thread talking shit will defend this.

autism

See my thoughts here:
Don't get me wrong, it's not groundbreaking by any means, just when I first saw it I was like "Huh, kinda cool, but not really my style" but it quickly became over abused

I am so confused. I have never heard of him before seeing this Nike collab and I liked it and thought he would be some kind of avant garde designer but then I looked at the stuff his brand makes and it's generic hoodies and t-shirts with some bland graphics? Does this even count as fashion and not graphic design?

But the execution is so poor and unimaginitive that it fucking hurts
It's like some teenager for the first time writes "this is not art" as graffiti on a wall and is blown away how deep it is
He isn't saying anything or making any kinda point
>Quotation marks are one of the many tools that Abloh uses to operate in a mode of ironic detachment
This is so fucking accurate it's just that here is nothing good or creative about doing it

It's called """streetwear""" the kids love it

God, he must think he's so clever.

this made me chuckle heartily. I hope it's true as well.

Rich coming from a teenager.

>inb4 im 20

Whoopdie doo. Congratulations.

Wew, I didn't expect Off-White fans to know shit about Caravaggio.

Virgil Abloh is a millionaire.

You are not.

Always remember this.

so is the catch me outside bitch, whats your point?

I agree. I watched a speech he made on design at Harvard, and I started to get the feeling that he was using it as a marketing tool to appeal towards the pseudointellectual hypebeast crowd. He even mentioned how people should stop reading hypebeast and start researching the common links found throughout art periods and movements. He knows the people he is marketing to are just going to read the wikipedia page for the Renaissance and then be like, "fuck this. I'll just buy his shit lol."

He certainly tries to appeal to the type of crowd that has the feeling that there is much "MORE" to what they wear. The Harvard speech was brilliant though from a marketing point of view. In that he spoke to informed designers in the audience who think that they need to come up with masterful work in order to be successful. No. Just put "VULCANIZED" on the side of a fucking Vans-like shoe and you can sell them for five times the amount, and make the consumer think that they are far more unique in the process.

To me, he's like a fledgling, post-ironic Thomas Kinkade of the streetwear world. There's nothing wrong with that though.

This.

Kys

LMAO
Fucking retard how does every post just keep getting dumber and dumber ITT?

>It's like some teenager for the first time writes "this is not art" as graffiti on a wall and is blown away how deep it is

Yeah, but how hard is it to come up with something "deeper" or "unique" or something no one knows about?

For this reason I never created anything and I'm constantly delaying my creative projects, I'm always like "Oh, but that's so entry-level". But apparently to many people it isn't? I always want to create something greater and in the end I end up not creating anything. Maybe it's just best to do shit no matter how basic it is, because some people will still be impressed by it, such as Virgil's basic postmodernism.

I liked his Harvard lecture, I was surprised by how articulate and well-spoken he was for a nigger.

>Yeah, but how hard is it to come up with something "deeper" or "unique" or something no one knows about?
Hard as fuck, that's why it takes considerable amount of skill, talent and professionality to do so, which begs the question why Abloh is where he is right now.
>For this reason I never created anything and I'm constantly delaying my creative projects, I'm always like "Oh, but that's so entry-level"
That's so unbelievably stupid though, you don't master something overnight and without doing anything, and while it's great good to recognize the faults and shortcomings of such work, essential really, it's the stupidest fucking reason to not do something. You should do absolutely everything, even the worst and cringiest ideas. You don't have to make money from them or display them for audience, but just do them anyway, that's the key to getting any better.
And while creating it and right after it might not felt like you've done anything, in retrospect works like that often just end up reminding you of things you learnt but which you didn't see at the time due to your ego getting in the way in the form of "woe is me, I can't create anything good or original"

Oh god. You are a dumb dumb.

>reminding you of things you learnt but which you didn't see at the time

I remember reading some post on a music forum where the guy was composing a piece for piano but about 15 bars in realized he was literally writing Mozart's piano concerto No. 20. Good shit.

suck my fucking dick you fucking retard

lmao have you ever heard him speak about off white or pyrex

Cash me ousside bitch actually deserves the money

He's shit but his mate Samuel Ross is great

how so?

>genius or hack?
he literally just does the most minimal adjustments and adds the name of a certain part of the shoe on the shoe and then calls it fashion, kind how the nigger from africa "made" a new mode of transportation, and it was just a shit bike with wood for a frame and a rock for wheels. clearly a hack

papa bless

All of his good ideas are stolen.

However, great artists steal and get away with it, so i'd argue that yes, he is a genius.

copy + paste hack.
Wouldn't be caught dead in his trash.

kys

Go back to /pol/ and take your bait with you

Nigger hypebeast detected.

What are you doing on this board? Try r/streetwear.

i would wear that shirt

Fuck it, I'm doing it for myself.

Which one looks better though?

Or this one?

This one

I’m on this board for the roasts desu

This has been a thing for forever honestly, if you've ever worked in a shop where some bored guy has a label maker your gonna get stupid shit like "HAMMER" on every single hammer in the shop, and some things that aren't hammers because someone was waiting for the lathe to free up and was bored out of their mind

HOLY FUCK these are awful.

>kys
t.butthurt fuccboi. Enjoy spending your dollars on meme clothing.

Why is this nigger shit still allowed on Veeky Forums?

specifically to spite you