Afraid of standing out

I'm not sure if anyone can relate to this but whenever I wear something that stands out a little I get really self conscious and anxious.

For instance, today I wore my new coat to high school. During the bus ride I felt out of place and nervous as everybody was wearing a feather jacket.

Pic is the coat I wore

Jesus Christ man drink some tea smoke a bit or some shit.
Or go full normcore idk

I relate very much. I'm wearing a skirt today to my internship workplace and am very conscious now. (Haha, I am not even sure if it is allowed in the lab, maybe I'm just scared of getting called out.)

Appreciate your attempt to relax me.

Is it your first time wearing it to your workplace? I usually get used to the clothing that makes me nervous after a few days and then I don't care anymore.

If you're old enough to be here then you just have a few months of high school left, that's not so bad. Once you make it through that, you can wear whatever you want and nobody will care. Just look in the mirror before you go out and give yourself a little encouragement. Coat looks good.

Just remind yourself no one cares about you. When you’re walking down the st. Think about how all these people are living their own individual lives & have their own shit to deal with. What jacket you’re wearing might occupy their mind for 5 seconds, but isn’t seriously anything to fret too much over

Only time I felt self conscious about my clothes was when I was wearing something obnoxious or stupid in public, like some crummy graphic tee for a cartoon show or a denim jacket with jeans of the exact same shade.

No one is going to care about your clothes, but if they do it is 99% going to be in a positive way if what you wear is like the picture you posted. Most people who have said anything about what i'm wearing have only nice things to say, and if i look like trash people either don't notice or don't care.

Stop wearing that coat

Unless you go full gucci you probably wont stand out as bad as you think

what did the rest of your outfit look like?
if your major concern is standing out, the jacket alone is not going to do that.

>whenever I wear something that stands out a little I get really self conscious and anxious
there is nothing wrong with this m8, be yourself
if you feel to conscious about yourself and it bothers you, you just gotta work more towards better acceptance of yourself, just need to get in the situations where you feel that way and deal with it
> today I wore my new coat to high school. During the bus ride I felt out of place and nervous as everybody was wearing a feather jacket.
Just like this, don't stress it too much you're doing fine

Thanks for the encouragement honestly. You people made me feel much better

I wore a grey shirt, black chinos and vans sk8 hi.

>my face when old Veeky Forums would have called this kid a pussy

>they actually give him constructive advice

btw, if this feeling gets worse and goes into adulthood (it did for me) you might have anxiety, I ended up medicating really at 20 (I wish I had at 18).

If you look at it another way though, you can give people something interesting to look at. Isn't it always more interesting to see someone dressed unusually? You don;t even see what they're doing.

oh yeah, I wouldn't worry user.
just from what you've told me, I think you'd look nice enough to turn some heads but not stick out so much that everyone is focusing only on you.

NIGGER THIS COAT IS WHAT YOU CALL STANDING OUT?
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
THE STATE OF Veeky Forums

U go BCU?

I did yes, still live in Birmingham.

>high school
MOOOOOOODS

sorry for the lifepost I just thought I'd like to reach out a bit.
Yeah I got it a lot back in HS too. Like I didn't have the proper personality or social standing to wear nice outfits that I liked. "who is he trying to impress" was a thought from other that I was scared of because I didn't really have the opporotunity to go out to bars and clubs even when I was invited and wanted to go and going to school (especially like when I was first year) dressed up in an outfits felt like you were desperate for attention if you weren't exactly the post popular person.

if you're in certain countries you can be 18/19 and be in fourth year of HS

It's an interesting mentality but I'm not sure if I can acquire it. Interesting nonetheless.

Thanks!

I agree with you that it's nothing special but you have to think of the context. I go to a high school with people aged 13-19.
I'm 18 but most people my age wear regular down jackets.

Am 18
Also see
No need to apologise, it's interesting and relateable.
I have the same problem as you had in high school but the difference are the thoughts. I'm a little afraid of people thinking I look like a teacher/tryhard/ dressing above my age.

I had that when i wore some things that most don't wear and were new to me. After awhile when the pieces become worn in and part of your own style and 'natural' pieces of your wardrobe the anxiety goes away. I don't give a shit anymore what people might think.

>durr I don't like attention
>durr I post on the internet so people give me positive attention

fucking liar

It's your repressed natural instinct telling you to stop, that people are going to think you're a homo

i feel you, used to only dress how i like when i knew i wasn't going to see anyone i knew. its all part of coming out of your shell and knowing who you are.

Skirts are normally not ideal for labs because you need cloths that cover your whole legs but noone ever called me out on wearing them, so idk....

It's funny how hypocritical you fucks are.
>"be yourself user"
>"wear what you want user"
BUT ALSO
>SKINNY/DISTRESSED JEANS ARE TRASH
>IF YOU DON'T DRESS LIKE AN ART SCHOOL DROPOUT YOU'RE NOT WELCOME ON THIS BOARD

This and also this I suffer from a similar thought pattern and become paranoid when thinking about the attention I receive, even if it's positive. The best thing is to continue expressing yourself but also to start meditating to distance yourself from your thoughts. They are an unrealistic assessment of how things actually are. Ultimately, you are your own worst enemy and you will continue to torment yourself until the day you die if left unchecked.

You're not the only one. You have an anxious personality just like me. I get anxiety easily over any little thing but you just gotta plow through it brother. Realize that ultimately no one gives a fuck, and if they do there's nothing they could do about it.

Take back our future

From who?

This desu

I feel this way about Veeky Forums by the way. No matter what I wear, you guys hate it so I've given up on posting fits