Can someone quickly explain fashion shows to me?

Can someone quickly explain fashion shows to me?
Like, what is this? Just like an art exibition or?

Other urls found in this thread:

farfetch.com/fi/shopping/men/raf-simons-i-heart-ny-oversized-sweater-item-12364002.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ricardo is just the best Mexican designer of all time, so diverse and progressive.
If you don't get it, basically you didn't take the modern couture pill.

Has she gone as Florida? Where is the orange?

This will create some turmoil, but whatever.
Designers are artists and they wish to express something through their designs. Many of them need to be able to create their own 'sculptures', real artworks that play the role of canvas.

An analogy can be made with most of the things you see in your local museum of modern art. Apart from the paintings, most of them are not intended to be purchased and displayed.

A collection that is being shown is like a general mood board/theme, an exaggerated version of the actual ready to wear you can later buy. It does not show you the clothes you are going to be allowed to buy, but fabrics, different techniques and materials used throughout. It will be translated later on into more wearable items. See them more as a muse, a base to rely on.

nah it's nuclear holocaust gumby

>It does not show you the clothes you are going to be allowed to buy
This is just flat out wrong, I think Rick said in some interview that he doesn't want to display anything on the shows he isn't planning to sell. And even with other designers they are very much showcasing the clothing they will then sell that season, there are instances where some individual items never make it to stores or are slightly different from the ones shown on the runways but those are exceptions really.

I wasn't talking about Rick but in general. Most designers do have runway versions of the pieces available to retail but retail are just toned down more. i.e. Raf NY sweater

>but in general.
It's still not true mate.
>Most designers do have runway versions of the pieces available to retail but retail are just toned down more. i.e. Raf NY sweater
Do you have a pic of the differences? Like I said, those kinda changes are usually exceptions more than general rules to go by.
This jacket in this colorway is the only example I can think of Rick that never made it to retail, never saw it anywhere for sale but could be that I just missed it.

Look at designs by Rei Kawakubo, Martin Margiela etc. Most of the garments shown on runway will not be for sale. If you are referring to prĂȘt-a-porter shows, sure.

pic related; retail features are way less exaggerated, especially the sleeves.

>Look at designs by Rei Kawakubo, Martin Margiela etc. Most of the garments shown on runway will not be for sale.
But they literally, figuratively, ironically and unironically are. Haute Couture being exception but then it's not ready to wear, which is what we are discussing.
Rei especially is bad example, she sells everything she shows. Body Meets Dress was one of the best received shows but it sold like shit, probably for obvious reason, which later on made the items that much more iconic for collectors. But it was all for sale.
How was the retail iteration of that different? I don't really actively follow Rafs new stuff

uhhh
you sure about that?
farfetch.com/fi/shopping/men/raf-simons-i-heart-ny-oversized-sweater-item-12364002.aspx

Oh my bad, bit of a misunderstanding. My post was mostly about fashion shows that are not RTW. Never seen op specify that he meant RTW only. Pic related what I meant, Margiela from his recent couture show.

And for the Raf; Neckline is less wide, exposed stitching more obvious, sleeves are shortened and less wide and also falls shorter in the body.

Yeah but haute couture by definition is not 'ready to wear' and OP asked about fashion shows in general. Making that kinda generalization and what fashion shows are meant to convey based on haute couture seems silly to say the least.
>And for the Raf; Neckline is less wide, exposed stitching more obvious, sleeves are shortened and less wide and also falls shorter in the body.
I'm pretty sure it's the same sweater, just difference in lighting, model, and pose.

Textiles are to real designers what paint is to fine artists or camera to directors/photographers. It's an art, they try to create something new and unconventional with textiles there are currently on the market. Runways aren't for actual customers, at least in many cases what people end up wearing is a very toned up version of runway. Runway is just a dick-contest where designers presents what he managed to come up with and sutied, be it with influence from pop culture (Raf Simons) or his own ideas (Yohji).

it's not the same u fag google it

>Runways aren't for actual customers
again, they actually very much are
styling on runways might be kinda distracting to untrained eye but don't let that misguide you

>A collection that is being shown is like a general mood board/theme, an exaggerated version of the actual ready to wear you can later buy.
This should be put on the sticky

"I always want people to know that I can be completely hypocritical. I can say something that will contradict something I said a year ago."

- Richard Saturnino Owens

>This should be put on the sticky
Why
It's wrong

What is wrong about that statement? It's very true for couture and he is talking about couture, not ready-to-wear shows. Explain yourself if you make stupid posts like that.

>It's very true for couture
cause it's not
>exaggerated version of the actual ready to wear
it's different thing altogether, no brand does couture collection and the dilute the designs for RTW, they show RTW as RTW, you don't have to make guesses based on the couture collection what kinda shit you can buy from Dior the next season
And as answer to the OPs question it's just as retarded, generalizing all fashion shows to haute couture is dumb, RTW makes up majority of all shows, Couture is very niche and marginal
And I don't really understand why that should be in the sticky even if it were true, haute couture is not exactly relevant to the average user of this board in any way,, probably the interest even following those shows is fairly small.

The displayed clothes are obviously not for wearing. They are just cool to look at. Only utter brainlets chuckle at fashion shows

>proceeds to post a picture of pret-a-porter show
pic not related right?

its called publicity

this is unwearable shit but made u look huh