Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Floriane de Saint Pierre from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article with each other.
So far I'm struggling.

The previous interview with Geoffroy de la Bourdonnaye (warosu.org/fa/thread/S13073552) mentioned headhunters when talking about how to find new designers for a brand.
This article seems like a nice addition.

Her website: fspsa.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>myth of the 'designer genius'
Did the myth start with Charles Frederick Worth?

>What does it mean to be a fashion designer today?
>What does creative expression within the contemporary fashion industry signify?

>DNA
._?
I wonder why Hedi Slimane was appointed as Artistic, Creative and Image Director of CĂ©line.

How does Floriane compare to Geoffroy?

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
Are there some parts you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
So far there's only one magazine you can download.
More will come in due time. I'll upload Issue four in one or two weeks. 70 pages or so left to scan and some more to edit.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

Here is the table of contents of the new Vestoj issue "On Authenticity".

"commercial instinct" might be alexander wang's forte

Great article thanks!
I always wanted to go into fashion design but opted for merchandising instead for many of the reasons this articles explains better than I ever could. Design just isn't whAt it used to be, fashion is so much more a business than it ever was; merchandising gives you so many more options career wise and you end up working hand in hand with designers anyway. Unless you're an extremely lucky select few, you'll be told exactly what to "design" in exact colors. I don't mind that it is a consumer driven art, I actually love it, but it's just about making $ as opposed to making art for arts sake.
Although I guess an argument could be made that it's also just giving some power to the people, Bc so much of what merchandisers do is work with forecasters, who take direct cues from the streets, and the direction people are moving in.
Sorry to rant, I find this fashion designer vs merchandiser conundrum really interesting.

Never saw more pretentiousness in one thread

bump

I think this week continues the theme of the dichotomy of "designer" vs. "brand" and the continuing struggle of designers/art in the the rise of technology/capitalism/big business

Not much time to respond like I usually do (on vacation technically), but I think this article was very frank about the current state of fashion design. The view that it's much more than a single person behind the scenes, catering to young crowds, marketing research, costs, etc.

What are you doing precisely at the moment? Studying? Internships? Working?

bump

bump

bump

Great read. As someone just getting into fashion(reading articles and interviews and not just looking at Veeky Forums posts and following trends) I feel this is an interesting insight in the high fashion mindset and the art vs. making money aspect of it.

Another problem with fashion schools is the lack of education on intellectual property and piracy market entrant designers face.

bump