One vanguard fund all the way or what?

Am I in good condition or should I do something else with this money?

I'm 24.
No loans.
I make 96K before taxes.
My rent is $700 in NYC (I share rooms).
My only real responsibility is to take care of my parents.

All the accounts below only consist of one thing: Vanguard Target Retirement 2055 Fund (VFFVX)

Brokerage: $32,300
Rollover IRA Brokerage: $1,200
Roth IRA: $23,800
Simple IRA: $26,300
Total: ~$83,500 of just VFFVX

Bank account: ~$4,500

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=VFFVX
bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement
retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/pubeducation/calculators/RetirementNestEggCalc.jsf
flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/
youtu.be/V-vTOo7f4f8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OP here. Pic is unrelated.

No 401k?

My company does not have a 401K. Just a Simple IRA.

I did have a 401K previously but I rolled that over into an IRA (it was only $1,200, was switching companies, and 401K had terrible choices).

Put it all in cryto's and meme stocks

What is your risk tolerance?

If you're a faggot pussy you're portfolio is perfect

Nothing wrong with a life cycle fund for not having to fuck with rebalancing or reassessing asset classes. If you keep saving at that rate you'll definitely be be able to retire at 50 and move to Thailand. Don't get married.

Might want to get 6 months worth of expenses in your bank account though.

Target Retirement Fund is fine for all your accounts. It's actually made up of four different funds (Total Market, Total International, Total Bond, and International Bond), each of which are comprised of thousands of individual stock and bond holdings. And it automatically rebalances, at no cost or tax consequence to you. So while it may seem "simple" on its face, its actually a complex sophisticated investment that, according to all modern studies, maximizes your long-term growth potential on a risk-adjusted basis.

is correct about the emergency fund, but other than that (if missing), stay the course and keep adding.

Except taking care of his parents.

Do your parents have insurance and retirement, Op?

Maybe Op could sell his parents organs in Thailand

Around 75-100k to invest I would build my own portfolio using fama-french 3 factor model and mpt. Build it out for my risk tolerance and go with that. Maybe put in some momentum as well.

10% in bonds is bullshit, on average for every 10% of your capital allocated to bonds your overall equity portfolio returns will decrease by 1%.

'cause im no candyass.

the thing that im confused about is the $20 annual fee per fund they mention. my first understanding was $20 fee if i dont have 10k in my account total, but after reading it a couple times i believe it means "less than 10k per ETF you own"

>10% in bonds is bullshit, on average for every 10% of your capital allocated to bonds your overall equity portfolio returns will decrease by 1%.
Risk and volatility are things, dumbass.

Dividend and utility stocks are the most conservative investments possible (in addition to being stupidly tax inefficient). You are literally Grandpa-tier.

Hard to say without getting a certain bit of info. Whats your rate of return for as of today for your fund. Also what was it last year and 5 years ago?

ah stuff it in your pipe

Organ smuggler here. We might be able to work something out OP but I will need some info on your parents' physical condition first. Most importantly: race, age, blood type, hereditary diseases especially congenital and heart-related ones.Oh, and I'm paying top dollar for top tier non-smoker's lungs.

I am fine with risk. I thought Target Retirement funds have high risk at the beginning?

For me, it's enough. Parents have $20K+ in their account as well. My brother just graduated as an civil engineer so he can help now as well.

Parents have insurance. Also, their house is now fully paid off.

Dad had a heart attack and multiple vehicle accidents... so I don't think they're worth too much :(

How are their eyes/lungs/bladders? There must be something we can scavenge.

Op is 24. He shouldn't care about that shit. All equity portfolio. Risk isn't a real think if you have a long enough time line, at least not how risk is normally though about in fuh-nance.

>All equity portfolio
essentially this. if it's a quick buck you're looking at, fucking forget vanguard and hop on the Meme Stock Exchange.

Honestly this is a smart and easy way to invest your shit. You dont even have to look at it but maybe twice a year.

Keep maxing out that Roth each year and you'll be able to retire comfortably.

I'd consider buying a rental income property in the next 10 years, but only if you know how to fix shit or willing to learn.

Since youre so young I'd suggest putting 10,000 into something with more risk like small caps or emerging markets, or playing with individual stocks.

Even if you dont youre doing it better than 99% of people your age.

>I thought Target Retirement funds have high risk at the beginning?
Any stock investment has higher risk in the short-term. But no, a Target Retirement Fund is not a "high risk" investment. High risk would be speculative plays, like picking individual stocks, playing options, Forex, cryptos or gambling.

All investments have risk. You can't avoid it and you wouldn't want to (because with risk comes premium, i.e., returns. The #1 key to investing is buying into the right risk profile for your particular needs and circumstances. And while there's no such thing as a "best for everyone" investment, the reality is that a Target Retirement is going to be the best fit for 96% of cases.

>Risk isn't a real think
Shut up, child. The adults are speaking here.

performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=VFFVX

Not looking for any quick bucks. Just wanna buy and probably hold until retirement with minimum work.

I max out Roth the first day I can (automated).

I was considering rental property... my local city will be having a city wide auction for commercial and residential housing. Kind of scared to go into this, but my brother is interested.

Maybe I could get something cheap at the auction and learn the ropes?

I will stick with Vanguard Retirement then. Thank you. :)

I tried individual stocks and kind of got burned. I admit I don't make the best decisions and am kind of emotional (which is why I like this Vanguard fund since it keeps me away from day trading).

Some stocks I got burned in:
CTSO
AMD
SUNE (I know... lol)

I think I lost $1500 total from those stocks. Learned from it at least.

international equities, small cap, value, large beta, high momentum and low volatility. Just load up on premiums.

risk isn't real. std does mean shit why do you care about upside volatility or volatility at all if your buying and holding for long period of time. Risk isn't real when we talk about volatility in equities as a whole.

Though if your talking crytos, fx, memes and commodities then risk is very real.

Run a few Monte Carlo simulations see what happens when you have high volatility in your early years. Not to mention, the typical young person is fairly likely to need some portion of their investment capital no matter how long-tem their initial plan may be. Things happen: homes get bought, babies get born, people get sick, jobs get lost, etc.

Not to mention, if you think 10% allocation in equities is going to have a material adverse effect on a portfolio, you're misinformed. As you can see from pic related, even going up to 20% bonds has only a small effect on historical bended returns (and a small decrease in volatility too, as expected).

$1500 is nothing... so its good you only lost chump change. It will make you smarter moving forward. Don't buy penny stock horse shit. If you're going to be an investor then invest properly. Check out the 7-12 approach, it works pretty well for me.

bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement

just for u OP

Which program you use for those simulations?

Just google "monte carlo retirement calculator" and you'll find dozens of examples. Here's two, including one from Vanguard itself:

retirementplans.vanguard.com/VGApp/pe/pubeducation/calculators/RetirementNestEggCalc.jsf

flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/

watch this video you can earn some good dough part-time not legal though but doesnt seem risky at all if you do it quitely without telling anyyone

youtu.be/V-vTOo7f4f8

I was all VFFVX (about $3K, try to put in the $500 a month max).

I just put $3K into Vanguard Total Stock Market Index in my brokerage, should just have VFFVX in my brokerage instead?

I have no good 401k choices either.

And done

I'd also suggest VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index

Why so much in American stocks as opposed to International?

Even if the USA is a "good business" country, it seems that the relative returns to capital would even out based on assessed risk. (In other words, if everyone knew the USA was "good", money would flood into the country to equalize yearly returns, adjusted for risk, compared to international indexes)

>making 96k
>sharing rooms

Why the fuck would you want a roommate if u make this kind of money.

>taking care of parents.

Are you Korean by any chance? If so i understand since its your culture, but if not, why would you take care of them? Its your own hard earned money.

>international
>current year
>current month
for what logical reason?

Three-fund portfolio is fine,but four-fund (a/k/a Target Retirement) is better. The addition of international fixed income is a nice diversification and risk component.

Even better is the five-fund portfolio, made by adding a REIT index to the four-fund. Pretty much the ideal index portfolio.

>I'd also suggest VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
It's already included in the Target Retirement fund, Please read the thread.

20% internationals is fine, plus or minus 10%. More adds too much risk without boosting your returns. Less leaves you under-diversified.

>24
>young adult taking care of his parents.
Wut?