Monday stands for Magazine

Interview with Hamish Bowles from Vestoj #4 "On Power".
The idea behind this thread is to post an article every Monday and try to discuss the article with each other.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
warosu.org/fa/thread/S13128801
businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/should-fashion-brands-bet-on-star-designers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's it!

What do you think of the article?
What parts do you find interesting?
Do you agree or disagree with what's being said?

Why?

Feedback on how to improve the scanning will be appreciated.
pastebin.com/cPsW7xue
More will come in due time.
Bump the thread so others can read this too.

Don't know how much of these I've missed. Last (and first) I checked was Grumbach's, which had the interviewer (same person) be more participative, reverent, here he seems too scripted and uninvolved, yet, interestingly, Bowles talked points very similar (China, the democratisation of fashion, induced obsolence, the Internet) to those Grumbach did without literal references by Anja, this, I'd say, made him seem more actively involved than Grumbach to the reader, because Grumbach didn't have much effort to put (other than skillfully avoiding the "controversial" argument) because of Anja's input. It could be too that Anja knew or thought they had different talking styles, or that, by leaving Bowles alone he was being MORE reverent to him than to Grumbach, which I'd be skeptical about. They (Bowles and Grumbach) seem to be polar opposites on most major issues, which must be related to their background, this being self-explanatory. Not much to say, whether I agree with them or not matters little. Keep these coming, I'll be sure to check them all. Sorry for not adding much and the possible carelessnesses on my writing I'll probably catch myself later.

Bump.

You missed only one: Jean Touitou.
warosu.org/fa/thread/S13128801
Think I'm going to send an email regarding some questions and comments from previous threads.

Musical chairs? That's the word for the interchangeable position?

businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/should-fashion-brands-bet-on-star-designers

Bump

bump

last bump

this is a good idea but nobody here is intelligent enough to want to sit down and read shit. godspeed though

I liked this brief overlook on the fashion industry, with the word "industry" emphasized, given how a lot of the discussion pertains to the fashion world's shift towards getting a brand influence out there, keeping up with the pace of consumers, etc. It's certainly interesting to hear how it has changed during the decades from an insider perspective.

I very much appreciate Hamish's closing lines--that creative talent will always be vital to the success of a fashion house. After all, that's what fashion should really be about.

Thank you for sharing these, OP. I read a few of these threads, and I'll definitely go back into the archives to read the ones I missed. By the way, if you know when these interviews took place, do you think you could include the date in later editions?

nice work dood.
you're much better than those /p/ee's annual zine autistic designers.

I will include the date from now on.
I haven't designed anything?

the issue with ur thread is u try to start discussion that nobody is interested in and for good reason

its circlejerky discussion that isnt very directly related to general peoples experience of fashion

its discussion for the sake of "muh high quality content and >le discussion" and not for the sake of genuine interest and intrigue

>that isnt very directly related to general peoples experience of fashion
What do you mean?

Most people come here because they spent their teens dressing like everybody else at school and now realize they want to put some effort into their appearance (and possibly reinvent themselves for adulthood)
So they learn about shia memes, start stupid threads instead of lurking, occasionally fall in love with something that they stumble upon in a rare good thread, and become fucking hooked
I, personally, have no interest in reading the opinions of fashion designers about any subject, I think they generally shoot in the dark hoping something will stick. I have an immense amount of respect for a few people in fashion: the heads of Briefing, White Mountaineering, Stone Island, Reigning Champ, and Ark Air. But I really don't even care to read Yuji Nakagawa talking about his inspiration, I can see it by looking at his bags

I like people discussing their own takes on putting together a wardrobe though. We all think about it differently, I learn from others' experiences, and I know people have learned from mine

i work in the industry and even i dont want to talk about this article
so why would regular Veeky Forums posters (teens and young adults) want to

Yes, I suppose most of the people who come here care about their appearance and not so much about the world beyond it. Thus, a waste of time and money.

As for the third part of your first post, it's both. These threads are a reaction to posts you occasional see in occasional meta threads. People say Veeky Forums is terrible or whatnot, but nothing is done about it. However, there is a genuine interest in the subject. I'm not disingenuous, as you seem to assume.

So what now?

I know you're not. It's just not interesting to me for these guys to be put on a pedestal

y r u interested in these topics explain

The interest comes from sewing my own clothes. You want to know more about the production process, since there's a difference between home sewing, artisanal and mass-produced. It snowballs the more you get into it.