Why did 70s fashion happen?

Why did 70s fashion happen?

marijuana

Synthetic fabrics meant that clothes were now very inexpensive to produce and a wider variety of patterns and colors were available.
Designers started testing the waters in the late 50s but by the 70s they'd jumped into the deep end.

If you've ever worn 100% polyester, you know it's the worst fabric on earth.

70s is a 1930s revival with patterns and colours inspired by the degeneracy of the time.

no sneakers era

This. Also, each subsequent fashion trend tends toward the opposite of the previous one. The Hippies of the late '60's wore flowy loose clothing with fringe and patches and the like. The disco cats of the '70's went for a slim and trim look that still allowed movement for dancing at clubs and such.

No it was the cocaine

because people weren't afraid to experiment with fashion and self expression

all 3 of these fits are dope

>self expression

Not really. The young people of that time were massively conditioned to believe certain things and behave in certain ways.

can you fuck off with this ridiculous tinfoil hat shit? is this the same person posting everytime? i never want to see that ugly ass cover design again

You're not even a boomer, why are you so attached to an era you weren't even alive in?
They sold people drugs, promiscuous sex, and a love of primitive cultures because it makes them passive and easy to control.
Another part of it was destroying the anti-war left. At that time no one would respect a smelly, unshaven guy with long hair so they marketed that look to war protestors to discredit them.

And also, by the way, it's the reason damn near no Western person today can put together a solid outfit to save their life.

Their haircuts made them look like they head big heads.

W2C black guys pants

Post skinhead, post suedehead football hooligans

Leisure suits were marketed to old guys. They were a joke then, and are still a joke.

It didn't, basically. The stuff you picture was rarely seen on the street.

Marketing by Madison Avenue types, selling whatever boolsheet corporate 'Murika was churning out. Synthetic fibers were all the rage, "better living through chemisrty" and all that, plus the belief that the great unwashed masses didn't know what they wanted, and would buy whatever they were told to by advertising. (which was mostly true) Then, DRUGS. Followed by many bad decisions. Finally, they were trying to be effay, just like the clowns going "full rick", or supreme, are doing today. Just timewarp ahead 45 years with Rick Owens stuff and see what comments you get from the young trend setters.

how much are you being paid to shill this guy's book

70s fashion was great in some areas though
UK punk culture for example was top shit

holy shit is that nardwuar

>self expression
>everyone looks identical
It's funny that whenever ppl try to self express or be unique/individual they jus fall into another social group.

70's fashion was pretty flattering on younger guys under thirty, and I mean casual wear like pics related, not the cliche memey disco leisure suit shit. I wish this look would make a comeback, maybe not bellbottoms but at least longer hair on young men and a looser silhouette. I am so tired of Hitler Youth /90's Asian dad haircuts and leg squeezing pants and big ugly parkas or whatever the fuck is in now.

>leg squeezing pants
But you prefer the nut squeezing pants instead? 70s were they heyday of the moose knuckle

I could tolerate everything else except the hair

I meant high water ass skinny legged pants, especially when worn with a suit. People say 70's pants were bad but why tf would any man wear a suit like skinny jeans? And then show his ankles too?

the hair was the best part wtf are you talking about?
...or do you mean, you know, *that kind of hair?

objectively more flattering than whatever low waisted diaper pants men are wearing now

I've started sporting a 70s rock casual look the last few years and I get tons of compliments on it. It's a very laid back look that still has a touch of stylistic choice that people respond well too.
Especially compared to the overly waxed mustache and pristine workwear hipsters.

Hats off to you for trying something new and doing it well too. I'm curious to know what your style looks like. Hope you pave the way for a new aesthetic in the coming years.

I'm usually sporting graduated tint aviators, Frye harness boots and a give no fucks demeanor. Got most of my shirts from thrift stores and flea markets. Pants are regular fit jeans or corduroys. Hair is loose and long-ish.
I'm sure most of Veeky Forums would scoff at me, but I don't really give a fuck. I'm comfortable and I like it.

As for Veeky Forums this is effay AF

>rip dick and balls
I think there are more than just aesthetic considerations here

>graduated

Yeah, bit of brain fart there. Gradient tint aviators.

post fit plz