Suppose you were embarking on a long adventure, what kind of clothing would you wear...

suppose you were embarking on a long adventure, what kind of clothing would you wear? It needs to be as sturdy and long-lasting as possible, extra points if fashionable.

I'll start: steeltoe leather boots, something like Doc Martens. This is a no-brainer. They're basically indestructable, waterproof, not too expensive and can be combined to look at least decent.

raf simons, rick owens, etc.

Lmao. Are you 14? Steel fucking toe docs, jeez

Austrian meme boots for suuuuure

basic grey merino tee. keeps warm when it's cold, is cool when it's hot, dries fast.

docs are hipster garbage, and have been for at least 20 years. get some real boots faggot.

depends where I'm going. Thailand? Russia? Detroit?

I'd probably go with some Solomon boots, Duluth nylon cargo pants and t-shirt, Patagonia waffle fleece sweater, Outdoor Research hoodie, and Gage hardshell.

~3 merino tees
2-3 pairs merino underwear
2 or 3 light/medium sweaters/fleeces
1 wind/rain proof shell
1 pair running shorts
1 pair light ripstop pants
1 pair mid weight wool/nylon pants
1 pair merino long underwear
1 pair heavy weight wool/nylon pants
2 pair light silk foot wraps (clean easier/dry faster than socks)
2 pair heavy wool foot wraps
Light hiking boots
Heavy/waterproof/insulated hiking boots
Hat/gloves/scarf

That's basically it for literally any climate, scale down as necessary

The real answer is boring, you just take a load of hiking gear.

You could probably mix in some milsurp to make it more effay.

There's definitely effay hiking gear

Workwear is the only true answer. Easily the best aesthetic for looking effay but also getting high quality, durable clothes. Carhartt clothes and Timberland boots would be good to start.

Trail boots are a no-brainer when it comes to sturdy, comfortable shoes.

Pretty much this. I'd look for some good hiking shoes/boots if you are going to put some serious miles on.

Hiking shoes
moisture wiccing socks
sturdy cargo slacks
cotton t shirt
flanel
triple fat goose jacket, with a gortex parka if I'm going somewhere that'll be cold&rainy

I spent over a year going through different villages in Nepal India and Vietnam teaching and stayed fa as possible, ask away

What did you wear on your feet and what would you recommend?

Usually what I trek in

kys

Jungle boots for starters

Ill add most of my time was spent in rural places and lots of hiking/hitchhiking.
I wore vans and a pair of italian surplus boots for awhile until i disliked the weight.
The trick was keeping a decent rotation in a small 25l bag but i wanted to maintain a certain cosmopolitan sensibility to my warbdrobe

did you just wear typical hiking gear brands or did you get some particular pieces to up the fa?

Holy shit, that's like one of the worst choices you could make, and I'm a leather boot guy while hiking (which isn't even a great idea, I just like to). There's a reason why Doc Martins aren't worn by construction workers (for long anyway). When I was an electrician, Doc Martens were notoriously NOT indestructible, with leather often being worn away while running wire or digging. They were a sign that someone was inexperienced. And there's a very good reason why soldiers the world over aren't issued or even purchase steel toe boots (AR 670-1 lets us have a pretty good selection these days). Try rucking with 50 lbs of gear for a mere 15k, and you'll quickly see why.

Steel toe boots have their place for sure, but certainly not for walking long distances. And I'm not trying to shit on Doc Martens either, I think they're cool and are certainly something I'd wear over nothing.

You want something borderline indestructible but still good for long distances? Rocky's, as hideous as I think they are.

I made a point to try and keep it a bit fa, So I wore a pair of Italian alpini combats

Leather boots are fine, steel toe is pointless, dm is trash.
I like how they're doing a welt there and the leather looks sturdy. Problem with this kind of boot is the goretex often gives out before the rest of the boot. (Also, the soles look impossible to replace, but you can't do that /out/ anyway.)

Rest of the gear:
Baselayers are a tradeoff between merino (not sturdy), poly (stinks), cotton (kills). I think linen or a linen-poly-blend could be nice, good luck finding that.
Insulation: fleece, light, durable, dries quickly. Some kind of synthetic fill for when it's really cold.
Shell: Polycotton for a sturdy wind shell, high quality nylon/gtx for a hardshell. Or you try and make do with a poncho. Think Fjällräven and Arcteryx. (FR is also partly trash these days though.)
Foot wraps are an interesting idea, though socks usually last okay. Also I don't think anyone ever wore two foot wraps. Lightweight footwraps should be made of linen btw.

2 pair to alternate if one pair is wet/twice a day otherwise. Also you're totally right about linen.

I was thinking of layering for winter. You could wear socks over footwraps (or under footwraps too), but probably not footwraps over footwraps... but then again, you can just wear the wool footwraps alone? Do you have experience with them btw. ?

Tbh, no, but I'm curious and will probably buy some surplus wraps for the next time I go camping (whenever that may be). But it's worth noting that you end up with two layers of footwrap on much of your foot, so wearing one footwrap should be similar to wearing two of socks of the same thickness. I wouldn't put socks over footwraps but I guess it could be possible, wraps over socks just seems much easier to put on.

>>/out/
We talk about this shit all the time.

>wearing one footwrap should be similar to wearing two of socks of the same thickness
Depending on the way you wrap it, that is true. I think with the russian style it works like that, while the german one covers the top of the foot thrice and the rest once. I tried the german style with light cotton fabric once and it was warmer than you'd think (I believe the majority of blood flow and thus heat loss on the foot is on top...) No experience how it works on long marches, and my new boots don't have the fit for it.

ROA.