Cultural Appropriation

Why are """"""""designers""""" so creatively bankrupt?

Other urls found in this thread:

themuse.jezebel.com/court-rules-high-end-french-label-doesnt-own-rights-to-1746670361
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

wow it's identical. who fucking cares?

people with original ideas care. you wouldn't understand

Oh you mean the people who copied those patterns 100 years ago in the first place, and are now dead anyway? Good point

Original ideas don't exist. Everything has already been done.

Especially in fashion.

Show me a single person with an original idea. Don't worry, I'll wait.

are you incapable of comprehending what "original" means in a relative context or something

god
i fucking HATE the trend of people saying "inspired by" and then exactly copying a design

>Romanian coat
>black woman wearing it

nobody owns traditional design

Romanians are more Arab looking tbf not black

>I can't provide you with an answer, so let me move the goalpost real quick for a sec...

Then why wypipo always tryna copyright traditional design?

Those are part of the public domain, nobody's trying to copyright them what are you talking about?

Romanians aren't arab-looking. Only the Romani are, as in gypsies. Not all Romanians are gypsies.

THIS, above all. There is nothing new in the world of fashion. Just copies and imitation.

Because wypipo are greedy, as with any human

Are you incapable of comprehending what "original" means in a relative context or something, my man?

themuse.jezebel.com/court-rules-high-end-french-label-doesnt-own-rights-to-1746670361

except that blouse was still produced by the Mixe communities whereas the other stuff posted are 100 years one-ofs

See:

See:

CA is a fucking meme and thinking that it harms or disrespects a culture means you're just a softy.

>Wypipo with dreads
Nobody owns a hairstyle, and it arguably looks better on black people anyways
>Brands copying trad garments 1:1
Nobody owns a traditional garment, whether its a coat, or moccasins, or a fucking Ushanka

Fashion is always about showing shit in a new light, and if a certain theme/culture just so happens to be "in" for that current season, then you bet your ass it'll be everywhere.

Since you mentioned dreads, every culture ever had dreads, except maybe cultures of:
>Asia-where hair is naturally very fine
and
>Rome-where shaved heads were the norm and long hair was barbaric
Hair will naturally get tangled and matted in dreads, so people realized you can control it into strands before civilization even occurred. Native Americans, Aboriginal Australians, Indians, Arabs, Persians, Hebrews, Celts, Nordics, Poles, Germanics, Egyptians, Africans, Greeks, Mongols..... All have ancient depictions of men and/or women with dreads.

>Inb4 dreadfag
I don't have dreads, I'm just a guy who thinks people are stupid for crying "REEE MUH WYPIPO STEALING OUR CULTURE"

cultural appropriation isn't real

>I can't provide you with an answer, so let me move the goalpost real quick for a sec...
That is the most edifiying answer you could hope for

>AC is a fucking meme and thinking that it harms or disrespects a culture means you're just a softy.
Okay let's get something out of the way here. Cultural appropriation, so long as it involves the adoption of aesthetically inferior cultural products, evaluated as such relative to the aesthetic and critical criteria of a superior culture, whose superiority consists in practices maximally conducive to the health and flourishing of life, is a decadent practice. This is the case for everything that contributes to a fulfilling life - food, medicine, clothing, music, literature, art, etc. Now, this is not to say that insight and inspiration should not be taken from the Other, but generally speaking the level of skill and technique in the relevant areas are not on the level of aptitude of the superior cuture. Optimal cultural appropriation by the superior culture would consist in influencing and inspiring the inferior culture by means of exemplary demonstrations of their practices and works. Take it or leave it.

>Nobody owns a traditional garment, whether its a coat, or moccasins, or a fucking Ushanka
Not that I give too much of a shit considering the democratized state of the fashion industry and consummer ideology but the concern is an ethical and empirical one in blatantly copying traditional in other cultures designs, not owning them, which would just concern assents to favourable power relations.

>Fashion is always about showing shit in a new light, and if a certain theme/culture just so happens to be "in" for that current season, then you bet your ass it'll be everywhere.
The object of fashion is the art of clothing, creativity != art, consumer ideology != fashion. Although to be fair fashion and consumer ideology are pretty much interchangeable in the current democratized scene.

>cultural appropriation isn't real
culture isn't real lololol

Why doesn’t it?

Meant to reply to you too:

>Numen
More like numale

because it's easier to steal an idea than to create something new

I don't think that's the actual issue, the implication of mass-quoting designer (or at least what I care about) is that it's just banal to exactly recreate a garment without even a nominal change
>Fashion is always about showing shit in a new light
and what is that in op's coat?

>numen

holy shit how soy can you get

the original looks way better

Cultural Appropriation is a propaganda scam. Different cultures should be proud that other cultures are interested in their style, history, and culture. It should be freely given, after all no one has a copyright or patent on that shit.

They are proud, that's not the point.
It's that certain individuals want to be awarded financial compensation for belonging to a culture that hasn't capitalized on their own heritage.

talent borrows, genius steals.

what about those who quote?

cultural appropriation isnt real dumbass

It’s called a reference

fashion recontextulizes pre existing forms of dress you're correct but, the recontexulizing is what makes it different and "original" vs the original form, the two examples above are designers just recreating things 1 for 1 which is kinda lame

this whole post is white noise