Had this conversation with my friend last night, and wanted to hear Veeky Forumss thoughts on it...

Had this conversation with my friend last night, and wanted to hear Veeky Forumss thoughts on it.since y'all seem the board most likely to have an opinion/answer on it (I don't go here much)
When did the hipster die? Late 2014 early 2015? Earlier/later? Who is set to replace the hipster, both as a form of fashion and as a social norm.

My guess was the Gucci/SoundCloud rapper style or Grunge, but I know shit about fashion.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14jqZ-bVx3c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when IG became a thing is my guess

I'd much rather take hipster than this faggot IG hypebeast shit going on, along with talentless hack brands like Off-White, Palm Angels, FOG, etc.

I don't think hipster was ever one concise thing.
People have such varying ideas about what it is.
Like some people call avant-garde art fag fashion hipster but some people call basic normie guys with beards and tattoos hipster and some people call post-emos hipster.

>I don't think hipster was ever one concise thing.
agreed

it's basically just a blanket term for whatever people don't like these days

in that case, soyboy took its place

Hipster was dead by the time it became a meme in 2011.

Since then, hipster has only existed as an insult used by normies ("Cum-stained Marvel Comics Superhero shirt and oversized cargo shorts.) to insult people who are trying to dress well/in popular styles. Which is ironic because the whole Brooklyn Hipster trope revolved around hating things because they were popular, yet the people who use hipster the most are using it to hate on popular things they either don't like, or like but can't achieve/participate in.

On Veeky Forums, cuck/numale/soyboy all have a similar meaning to the normie's misuse of hipster.

Thank you. Hypebeast culture is for trust fund kids who spend their parents' money. Ironically, having rich asians and white 16 year old kids wearing your stuff is the fastest way to kill any brand's credibility.

Mostly accurate, disagree on the 2011 part though. Hipsterism was popular until almost 2014. Although the point about "soyboys" is apt; its mostly a term used to cling to the remnants of the hipster movement, but not quite the same. I believe that current soyboys have much stronger connotations with feminism/social justice than mainstream hipsters did.

I think hypebeasting and soundcloud rapper styles are part of the same vein. Both are trash imho. I think the 90s aesthetic grunge is probably correct. I'm hoping the 80s hypermasculine action movie star look will come back, but somehow I doubt it

>I don't know what hipster means. i think its just a blanket term
how old are you people? how the fuck don't you remember what hipster means?
these are fucking hipsters:
youtube.com/watch?v=14jqZ-bVx3c

start at 0:52

Hipsters died down a little bit after asap rocky streetwear shit became mainstream around 2013.

But since then it is making a comeback, as said, being a response to this IG shit as hipsters were a respons to the tackyness of the 2000s

There will definietly be a comeback of some sort in the following years, screenshot this

What is set to replace the hipster for normies is baggy jeans, greasy hair (not wax), baggy t shirts, basically skater and grunge combo. Ironic clothes like thrift shop specials will also be in style

i feel like you just described 15 year olds. adults actually dress like that?

Pretty sure you and are getting the #Americana trend that was big in 2012-14 mixed up with hipster.

While both overlapped with "Beards/Coffee/Craft Beer/Plaid", hipsters were "artsy" and Americana was just a bunch of Huckleberry Fuckwits cosplaying as their grandad.

No but adults are not in fashion anyways, i'm talking about people 15-25 years old

i'm 26. am i not allowed to fashion anymore

You mean instagram-soundcloud degenerate fashion not fashion

>having rich asians and white 16 year old kids wearing your stuff is the fastest way to kill any brand's credibility.
if by that you wear rappers

To know what really killed Hipsters you have to go back to the 90s and look at David Cross and Geanene Garfalo. Look at their ludicrous bratty meulings and then look at what passes for Liberal mainstream ideology today. You can't be an ironic lmao Hipsterz when no matter what self-hating nonsense you can make up is already being said by "community activists" in the attention starved mainstream media.

You can't blow up the party with your desperately stupid tattoo when every other barista already has a neck tattoo of Steve Urkel jerking off onto a Rubik's Cube.

speaking on London's behalf, the hipster shit died around 2012-2013 ish, some fucking outdated losers still think the whole beard, wayfarer glasses and suspenders whilst riding a bike with a handlebar moustache/puffing a pipe is still a hipster look. that is outdated.

The modern "hipster" has a bowcut, cropped trousers and wears fucking common projects and wants to redesign that old rundown bar in your neighbourhood into a smoothie shop

said it best

It's most certainly not dead. I live in East Lakeview in Chicago and all it takes is for me to walk a block out from my house and I see these faggots everywhere. They stay in trendy expensive neighborhoods where they know they won't be hurt or judged by looking like such a massive dicknose.

The one on the right is a more timeless fashion. It could still pass today as fashionable during fall/winter.

Yea na that's some fugly Reddit shit

>timeless fashion
beanie, manpurse, that strap on the boots, bracelet, and that dangly hoop scarf

Hipsters just evolved into art hoes

the hipster didn't die..........he evolved...

disagreed. it is very concise. flannel shirt, overly thick full beard, beanie. cuffed raw denim jeans. redwings or some derby style boot. "Dadbod" or at least some gut of some sort. Has a Man-Bun, or receding hairline.

culture revolves around Movies like Star Wars/Chuck Norris/Bruce Lee, terms used like "Man Cave", "Bro Mance", Bro-Fist, Man Crush.

Drinks "Craft Beers", smokes a Pipe.

No. Now get in you old fuck

Look man, when people say "hipster," they really mean "lumbersexual."

Pic related is still very relevant when it comes to describing hipsters
> TL:DR - It's not a real subculture it's just an insult banded around

I recall reading /mu/ years ago argue about Mumford and Sons and hipsters. There was a series of views:
> Hipsters stopped listening to Mumford and Sons when they got popular
> Hipsters only began listening to Mumford and Sons because they were popular
> The only people who listen to Mumford and Sons at all are hipsters
> Hipsters hate Mumford and Sons
I've seen some variation of this play out over and over through the years. No one can agree on what hipsters actually are but my god does everyone hate them.

This is (specifically the 2000-2006 years) largely a vague description of the fashion trends within the hardcore punk scene not Hipster fashion.

thank you user, glad somebody gets it.

These hit the nail on the head. I go to a college with a very prominent party culture and greek life, and basically get called a hipster any time I don't fit perfectly into that subculture. I've literally rolled up to class wearing cuffed jeans and a grey t-shirt and people will swarm me with "OMG user YOU'RE SUCH A HIPSTER". When I listen to entry level indie or folk (I'm talking the Black Keys, and other very very well known artists) people hit me with "WOW THIS MUSIC IS SO HIPSTER"

Literally all I am doing is dressing the way I like to dress, and liking the things I am into; sometimes it's weird/obscure shit, sometimes it's shit that everyone else is into. Hipster is basically their way of saying "you're not like me, and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that or not"

I know what I said

Also that americana thing is something you made up

Hipsters were cool from 2007 to 2010 and mainstream up until 2013

Look at the art hoes today, they look like they came out of 2006 williamsburg

Its coming back

Being almost 30 and growing up in Phoenix. I witnessed the popularity of the hipsters explode.
Hipsters at least where I’m from mostly spawned from the emo/scene kids who turned 18 and wanted to “mature” their style. Being a “hipster” was as easy as wearing an American Apparel v-neck and skinny jeans or just shopping at urban-outfitters. It started to splinter in my city, to the flannel, beard, bike and tattoos guys and the edgier faux goth kids. Hipster though was really just an insult for anyone who didn’t fit the norm. Hipster didn’t really die, it just splintered off. You still have the tattooed beer drinkers, You have your feminist political faction, and the younger ones are into that streetware/Pinterest fashion. Maybe it’s just where I live but I still have a lot of the Hardcore holdouts and the edgy wannabe black metal/doom metal dorks that think they’re cool but still live in a studio working at coffee shop at 34.

London here and I'd agree with your observation. Scene kids became the earliest version of what people identify as hipster (Hence why the first 4 years of the image here aren't actually hipsters but a retroactive look back at how the early hipster crowd used to dress) but I would argue the majority of people labelled as hipster that came after had nothing to do with the hardcore scene.

> tfw when you're mid 30s and miss the scene
> Being a hardcore kid was so fun
> Can't go back, it won't be the same and I can't be that guy

I didn't make Americana up.

The majority of the #rawdenim crowd are people trying to recreate the 1950s-70s day laborer/rancher aesthetic aka Americana.

This is why the Levis Vintage Clothing brand sells clothing cut like it's the 50s and has packaging to reflect that

I would say a lot of the “hipster” guys were just looking to score some hipster chick snatch. They saw the Proto-hipster types getting with the cute artsy girls and they wanted in. A lot of hipster guys who weren’t traditionally handsome could get a realitivly cute girl.
I agree with you. There’s a lot of the 50/60s rockabilly inspired look that’s pretty popular. Ironically it’s a lot of the Latinos that adopted it where I live.

Is there anything in Phoenix other than fat middle aged Midwesterners and Mexicans construction workers?
Phoenix is a desolate wasteland void of culture, or intelligent life in general.

Phoenix has a huge “hipster” population. Our downtown was completely revitalized by white hipsters moving in and cleaning up the area.

Look at those quads and dat sip

I actually came here to post that I saw two hipsters in the wild today. Location: Phoenix (Tempe).

Both had full beard and beanies. One had gauges, tribal tattoos, shorts, v neck, and thick native American print CARDIGAN WITH SHORTS AND SANDALS. He was obviously the pitcher.

Would drink a craft IPA with/10

I'm really hoping you're wrong, but I don't think you are. I haven't lived here since high school, and I'm desperately to find some sign of culture. No luck yet.

Using the word "hipster" is well on the way out everywhere except Veeky Forums. Overused enough that it's lost all meaning.

Ultimately every aspect of the Hipster aesthetic, in any form, incorporates BOTH intentionality and subordinance.
* the fact of being deliberate or purposive.
* placing oneself in a lower order
There is an outward expression which demonstrates introversion. There is an aloofness because what is externally expressed is not actually for "others".
I've been thinking about this for a couple decades and that's about as best I can express my take on it.

That’s just a conjunction of all the things you don’t like you friggin high schooler.

Ok, I understand that a "quad" is a quadruplegic. What's a "sip"?

Pockets on t-shirts were rare until the late 70s. Nothing 50s about that shirt.

Intrinsically though, "Hipster" basically means:
A person who does purposely anti-mainstream things purely for the fact that
they are anti mainstream, whether they actually like doing the things or not is irrelevant

Like Kramer only watches CFL and
Never
NFL despite being AMerican

Not dead. Visit toronto and stand at dundas west and ossington. Hipsters have been around forever. The style just changes. Check out the movie slacker for early 90s hopsters. Hipsters here wear those round harry potter glasses with a winter hat rolled up and sitting above the ears so it literally does nothing.

this desu

>50s-esque graphic design
>50s-style construction
>"It doesn't count cuz pockets"

Pointing out overlapped features of hipsters and #Americana folks doesn't mean I don't like those things.

Pic related goes to both of you.

i just wanted to say thanks for taking your time to make well thought-out posts

>Who is set to replace the hipster
HIPSTERS are always, at least partially, about recycled ideas and fashion. Every aspect of their aesthetic or lifestyle is either completely ironic or at a level of sincerity and earnestness that mom & dad just don't understand.

The "thing" with defining HIPSTERS is most of us are talking about late adopters of a trend where the early adopters were recycling influences to begin with, albeit in a limited manner. In a sense it is like talking about "Grunge" and Kurt Cobain before every other band tried to sound just like them. When in fact Nirvana were influenced by earlier bands on SST records. Does the trend start where it became trendy or where what became trendy started from?

My point is the earliest HIPSTERS, that sparked what became HIPSTERS, aren't readily identifiable by what that standard would become.

What will be next? Will it be new and amazing? No. Think of Grunge in Seattle and then think of Hipsters in Portland. Not much of a progression right. My guess is look to Sacramento for a 20s revival aesthetic; it's probably already happening.

Hipsters don't die out, trends just catch up or stay out of the mainstream. The original term was used to describe people that mimicked black jazz artists in style and listened to jazz. It was a counterculture to some degree.

How the fuck do I know what the new trends are all the time?

Hey boo I'm on the redline heading to Belmont with my beard and soylent what you gonna do about it?

s-style construction
>>pocket
Does not compute.

>all these 90s and 00s kids that don't know the hipster has existed for multiple decades

I like im seinfeld when Elaine calls kramer a hipster doofus

>>all these 90s and 00s kids that don't know the hipster has existed for multiple decades
is this post some meta hipster smugness?