How to find my style/aesthetic

Been on this site for a long time but Ive only been lurking on Veeky Forums for 3 months or so and Ive got the basics down but I want to find my "style." So do you guys have any advice, inspo or guides etc? I feel kinda stuck.

And in case it helps. I mostly wear plain t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, flannels, jeans, a denim jacket and converse/vans. So yeah, pretty basic shit. Im also in uni, Im white, 5'9, live in Canada (rarely get to wear shorts etc) and kinda skinny. If Im being honest I only got into fashion so I could get girls, but now I have a gf so Im just doing it because I enjoy it.

Basically Im a fag who cant think for himself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBEbdv59NG0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I would base it around your body type. Generally there are some looks that you can gravitate to if you're skinny and tall. or if you're average height and stocky that's got different looks. Anyone can dress for an aesthetic but if it doesn't flatter your body type it's gonna look wrong. You can curate an aesthetic but you'll want to make sure you look like you belong, not like you're trying hard to fit into.

>Basically Im a fag who cant think for himself
Well that's definitely something you'll have to work on if you're looking to find your own style

is general, sound advice. Find some colour palettes that you like and suit your skin and hair, dress for your body type. Keep lurking, always seek out new inspiration, not only on Veeky Forums but wherever else--check out the Instagram thread, you might find some stuff you like.

>Ive only been lurking on Veeky Forums for 3 months or so and Ive got the basics down
No you don't

> do you guys have any advice, inspo or guides etc?
Yes, lurk more and wait until you get actually interested in fashion

>I only got into fashion so I could get girls
Sounds good, doesn't work

You can't find it.

If you try to force it you won't only be uncomfortable in it but also look dumb trying to pull off a look that's not you.

My advice is to just take your time and let it develop on itself since you've been at it for just 3 months.

This. Also dont base all your knowledge on fa. Its a good beginning, but most of this board is very shitty in many ways. You'll find it by yourself after lurking more. Start digging more youtube fashion videos and try looking at runways to understand the aesthetics better.

> youtube fashion videos
topfuckingkek

youtube is probably the literal worst place to learn about fashion, especially for a beginner, right after Veeky Forums

instagram and designer shows on yt.

youtube.com/watch?v=wBEbdv59NG0

Im talking about interviews and reports related to fashion, not youtubers. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

where DO I go then?

I know I cant force it, Im just looking for ideas on where to start, theres very little info for beginners on here.

Well as I said, Im white, 5'9, and skinny, so any ideas?

become a trap

OP none of this advice is very good, frankly. Ill give you mine, and just remember that this is an opinion on the internet: the most logical way to go about this is find a piece of media whose aesthetic you really like. It can be a picture of the sky, a movie about war, some 80s scifi shit like bladerunner, just something that you like a lot and that you feel is interesting. Then, try to emulate that style by finding pieces, colors, and fits that match what you want to emulate. Finally, choose pieces that match your aesthetic, but that you personally like. This is what will give you a unique take on a certain style. Ill be sitting in this thread if you have any questions or if anybody else does, though i know OP is probably gone.

youve been here for 3 whole months and havent commited to full rick? literal retard detected

You’ve lurked here for 3 months and haven’t found the sticky? Kys

>the beginner asks for advice
>tells him to watch designer shows that have nothing in common with everyday fashion
good job

is there a resource where i can learn about textures/color/silhouette etc

Wait user, I'm writing an advice that hopefully will help you, I know how you feel because I had the same question, give me a couple of minutes.

> is there a resource where i can learn about textures/color/silhouette etc
Go to high end stores and talk to tailors. Best way to learn is to touch and feel how the fabric behaves in your skin and body

Well user, you've been here just 3 months, and that's not enough.

How to find my style/aesthetic?
You won't have to find your style, fashion is a process and YOU will construct your own style (by following common sense, please don't be a dumb tryhard/hypebeast) by the pass of the years.

I will tell you my personal experience. Personally, it took me 2 and a half years to construct my style and find my aesthetic. I spent more of one year learning and reading in order to understand fashion as a method of expression (my style), utility (why I wear that piece?) and luxury (Quality is important).
At the beginning you will fail, believe me, you will make mistakes, you will buy pieces because "It's cool and cheap", you will fall for the meme (palewave is a good meme tho IMO), and that's FINE, you will learn from that, mistakes are a good method to learn and especially in Fashion, since it involves money it's better to learn how to manage your resources.
After learning the basics of fashion (knowledge is important) you have to pull it by the helpfulness is your lifestyle. As user said " If you try to force it you won't only be uncomfortable in it but also look dumb trying to pull off a look that's not you."
Remember your personality and lifestyle is going to dictate your sense of fashion, don't force it.

See:
and
lastly
Good luck in this journey OP.

get out of the house. travel, get involved with other hobbies, meet new people, watch film/listen to music. it will come over time. ideally, your style should emulate you in your "perfect state" and should reflect your personality/interests, and that's hard to do if you have no personality. and go to thrift stores/boutiques, browse online, check inspo threads - just keep an eye out for things you find aesthetically pleasing. Also, clear out your entire closet of shit you don't love and wear regularly. if it's just sitting there, it's clogging up your space and mind

I have checked the sticky, it's fine for someone who's never/barely been on Veeky Forums but that's really it

That actually really helps. I'll keep that in mind

Props to you then

I would say that M2M is a better medium than youtube for that purpose though