Is it racist to wear this? I tried one on in a store and i looked good in it...

Is it racist to wear this? I tried one on in a store and i looked good in it, it would also be good for the upcoming summer sun. I think it is a little racist, an I wrong?

People would think it is, is it actually, no

If you’re not Asian you’ll look stupid, but even then you’ll still get weird stares.

This reminds me of something a long time ago in high school, there was an annual male beauty pageant and there was this Asian kid. His performance was wearing that and doing Kung fu while shouting random shit in an Asian accent. The judges thought his performance was racist even though he’s Asian lol.

I think it'd be pretty hard to pull off without it looking like a costume. Kind of like wearing a sombrero.

Wtf, who were the judges?

It was a bunch of teachers. They were all white ladies though.

I find it weird of non people of race can determine if something is racist if it's not obvious, like I get it if your a person of color and find something offesive then yeah. But otherwise...

>is it racist to do this
Do you think a chink thinks for 1 second whether it's 'racist' to wear a cowboy hat? Or an African thinks for 1 second whether it's racist to use a wheel? No, then neither should you, you scared, ballless little dweeb.

Yeesh man alright, I guess your right tho lol

>African thinks for 1 second whether it's racist to use a wheel?
that almost got me laughing

Hey, I'm from an eastern asian country, and no, I don't think you're going to be racist from wearing a hat.

Now, think context and intent.
Imagine wearing this as a part of an outfit, just walking in the city or the park. Nothing wrong with that, though some less informed folks may think otherwise.

Now, if you walked into a kung fu school and started speaking in a shitty asian accent making racist comments, well, yeah, that'd be racist, but not because of the hat.

Just make sure the rest of the outfit works, and PLEASE don't do that hands together bowing thing that I see so many people do to try to be 'authentic asian'.

Yeah thanks for replying, I'm not trying to appropriate or offend or be disrespectful to anyone or their culture. I just think I pull off the hat well. The reason I asked is because I am aquanted with some asain people who are very connected with their culture, and I didn't want them to think I'm trying to be an asshole.
What eastern country are you from bro?

Korea, baby! WOOOO
RoK for the most part is pretty urbanized, but if you go to the countryside, you do find people wearing similar, less conical straw hats.

Thanks for the context. Like, it may be jarring at first for you to wear it on a regular basis, but again, it's kind of the political climate we live in.

The only reason why Asian Americans may be offended is because most of our experience with people wearing rice paddy hats is for people making fun of us, which in turn is a reflection the historical representation of Asians in media.

There's a lot of things that people would immediately get chastised for saying about other races, but seems to be okay to say about Asians (how even teachers found it okay to imply i knew martial arts/was good at math), but would never say things like that about latino/black kids.

Double standards, man.

>people telling OP not to do this when it's clearly the funnier option
This is not the Veeky Forums I used to know...

>non people of race
>White is not a race
Americans are so fucking dumb

look, im just using the language you taught me when i came to this country lol.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

>racist to wear a hat
It's more annoying for yourself. Why would you wear it when you're neither a farmer or in an age where sunglasses aren't available? Stares will come from people judging you for purposefully being cumbersome for the sake of a fashion statement, also for revealing too much about your personal interests. You're "feeding the self" and you should be a little bit ashamed.

racism is so overplayed
like please, focus on something that actually matters honestly

But speaking of racism, the best part about living in Chile (aside from the beautiful countryside) is that south americans have a natural tendency towards racism that isn't being taught away. It's not malicious either, we just like to drink and laugh.

There’s nothing wrong with cultural appropriation. It’s the foundation of world peace.

Yes. Don't do this.

>mass reply
I don't know what I said () to be put in it, I don't give a shit but
Not in this thread bucko

why don't you ask them instead of asking a notoriously racist online forum?

Because we are aquantces, I only ever see them because they are friends roommates. We can talk casually but I don't want to talk about something like racism.

Yeah I always find that asain racism is more accepted in America. Like at least for Chinese immigrants, and Japanese immagrants, America's history of discrimination against them has been as long as their discrimination against African Americans, but for some reason making jokes about blacks is much more frowned upon then asain jokes. I think it's because most asains are now middle class, and blacks tend to still be lower class, that maybe people just think that asains can take more jokes. Idk, also Asian stereotypes are less hurtful than black, and Hispanic stereotypes. I.e. good at math, and smart for asians.

Wdym by feeding the self
Like I'm giving in to what I personally think about myself vs what others think?

Ig I didn't articulate myself correctly, I meant of that race, not of non-race, lol

Whenever me and my family go to Disney World, I always buy one of these hats at Epcot and usually wear it around the parks and stuff for the rest of the vacation. It's a bit more normal in Disney I guess since they sell them there, and I also really don't care what people think of me as well when I'm there. They're perfect hats for keeping from getting sunburn though.

Tell that to the recent gen of whites and minorities that think everything is racist. South America seems to not care because they are third worlders and aren’t sensitive to commentary. Developed countries seem to be running out of actual social issues or are avoiding real issues so they create problems out of nothing (ie thinking everything is racist, or getting mad at jokes involving race)

If you have muscle and a well sculpted face yes.

Blacks take racism the harshest and will be the most vocal about it. Rarely do they joke or make fun of themselves like most other cultures do.

Get a hat like this. White surfers have co-opted this look decades ago. It'll fit you head better and won't get you vibed.

Let me tell you as an Asian, no, it's not racist. Western social justice warriors and feminists are the ones pushing this. Nobody Asian will think you are racist, some Asians will actually be proud you embrace their culture.

Let me tell you who will find it racist. A white Western feminist with bright pink hair who thinks she can get offended on other peoples behalves because those people must be too stupid for an opinion. That's the real racist.

These are also the same people that say race doesn't exist but you have to be the correct race to wear certain items. So they judge you on race. I think these people have some brain damage.

These people are so extreme they have convinced you wearing another culture or races traditional things is racist when that's not what racism means at all.

I sometimes wear a suit and tie. That's Western I guess I am racist then?

You might look a little odd, especially if you are in the West are they are not so common and even in the East you wont really see young people wearing them so much. Your choice though. It's a conical hat by the way.

>but for some reason making jokes about blacks is much more frowned upon then asain jokes.

Because they get violent while Asian people tend not to. It's like you could make and say whatever negative things you want to about Mormons and nobody will care cause Mormons tend not to be violent.

Do the same to say Islam and you will be called every name under the sun, get attacked, lose your job and so on.

Blacks and Islam both do have a tendency to be very violent so when people do make those jokes especially about said violence both groups just don't like to hear the truth.

Why not just wear a western equivalent if you don't want people bothering you about it.
It's not racist, but it is bordering on cosplay and that's cringe af in everyday life, just wear a straw hat in a normal design or a bucket hat.

HOW WOULD WEARING A HAT BE "RACIST", ACCORDING TO YOU?

DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT IS RACISM? I DOUBT IT.

Fuck this ugly lesbian looking motherfucker. Complains about
> muhhhh black representation
in the oscars while using Asian children as the punchline to an Asian joke in the same breath. Imagine if an Asian comedian brought on 3 black kids dressed as drug dealers.

Thanks man what's the game is this hat?

Why? It's this hat l bait, because i don't get it.