What is your opinion of mechanical watches?

What is your opinion of mechanical watches?

Attached: BixHHEo.png (533x792, 518K)

Someone post the picture of the guy using his smartphone to illuminate his mechanical watch face so he could check the time

I fell for the meme. I hated how after a week or so they would be out of time. for my it was a few minutes a week.

prefer solar quartz or just straight up quartz.

>I hated how after a week or so they would be out of time. for my it was a few minutes a week.
What do you mean they would be out of time in a week? You mean if you don't wind or wear them? Duh. What was a few minutes a week? Wearing them?

Nigga a 'decent-tier' automatic watch will lose up to ten seconds a day whereas any functional quartz lose that in a month.
Opting for a mechanical watch for the sake of having mechanical watch is fucking dumb.

I'm just pissed off that all my watches are out of batteries right now. What the am I supposed to do, drive to the mall?

wore it everyday even while I slept.

maybe I got a faulty one I dunno. it was a Seiko diver skx007 or something like that.

just noticed by the end of the week it was always like 5 mins behind. got sick of adjusting it all the time

maybe you got to spend way more for a mechanical watch to make it worthwhile I dunno. I loved how that watch looks too

Attached: 1520992544315.jpg (640x683, 20K)

>Seiko diver skx007
Sounds like you bought a cheapo. I was gonna get the victorinox airboss. It's msrp is 1000 dollars.

they're watches. i'm old enough that i still wear them. never fell for the quartz meme because i hated thinking that my device was tied to a battery that would have to be replaced, same thing with smartwatches. charging a watch is fucking retarded in my opinion. They're useful and functional, wearing them now is more to do with personal style than ease since clocks are everywhere.

I do think that in the future we'll see a return to mechanical watches as something that people wear because of the reliability. an apple watch is outdated after a few years, a rolex from 1985 is still wearable and functions fine after 30 years. "wearable" tech will be relegated to fitness and health trackers when people get tired of talking into their watches.

It costs like $5 a watch to get a battery changed. Done in a minute and you're good to go for the next 2-10 years.
I personally have a solar quartz because they're pragmatic as fuck

yeah they're easy to get replaced, i just don't like being reliant on something that runs out of a charge. i've had quartz watches die when i needed them, the last time it happened i tossed the watch into the sea because i was so frustrated with that garbage. mechanical is really the way to go if you want reliability. i'm not timing anything more than how long it takes my lazy fuck girlfriend to get changed before dinner so i don't need pinpoint accuracy. boo hoo i have to set the watch back 2 minutes every 2 weeks? i can live with that

>solar quartz
Do you recommend any decent solar quartz watches along the lines of the sort of watches posted in this thread?

not the person you're asking, but it's hard to find real flieger watches like you're asking about that aren't automatic. here's a few that I know about.

Citizen BM8180-03E

Seiko Solar SNE477

My advice would be to go mechanical instead. you can get pic related for about $150 online

Attached: or.jpg (1730x2162, 367K)

sorry forgot to ad, thats an Orient Flight

maybe this one. I think it's going to be my next watch

Attached: SSC565-2T.jpg (188x250, 37K)

Shitty accuracy and not worth the price as most people wont notice the difference.

I have two 200€ quartz watches, couldnt be happier

I love them but its true i use anlot more my quartz watches than my autos. They are always ready to go, more reliable and accurate and require far less and cheaper servicing.

What do you mean mechanical watches require servicing? Can you elaborate on what that entails?

>victorinox
>good
Sounds like you're someone who also believes Invicta watches cost $500+

I have an automatic and I have to adjust it maybe every month or so as it'll be off by a couple minutes. I wear it almost daily so I never have to rewind it. I must just be lucky.

Well, okay then. Which watch do you have btw? I just ordered the Victorinox Airboss 42mm 241507

Idk if you bought some bit coin or if you have millionaire parents or something, but not every person can afford watches in the multiple thousands of dollar range.

Attached: 41ju5267+bL.jpg (322x500, 31K)

five minutes a week is actually not that bad at all.

quartz watches are much more practical but if practicality is paramount then everyone would just wear $10 casios.

This. I have an F91W, and that's basically the only watch I would ever practically need. But where's the fun in that?

Honestly OP, do you really give a shit what people think at the end of the day? We don't need watches, but we like having them for our personal enjoyment which is really the only thing that counts.

With that being said....automatics have character and uniqueness to each of them. Quartz, while accurate, yes.....just....doesn't. Prove me wrong.

oh shit i want to see this

I wanted to know your alls opinion because I never owned a mechanical watch before. I wanted to know if people actually use them.

Mechanical watches, as the complex mechanical devices that they are, need to be adjusted, lubricated, parts replaced due to wear... every once in a while (id say between 3 and 10 years). This can be pretty expensive depending on the manufacturer, you may need to send the watch to a non nearby maintenance center etc.

Fuck, that sucks. I was thinking about spending 1000 bucks on a Stowa Flieger next week, after I recover from the Victorinox I just purchased, but now that you mention that, it makes me wonder what I am getting myself into here.

I would suggest trying out any basic Seiko movement if you haven't already. Specifically anything with the 7S26 or 7S36 (not a major difference except maybe two or three jewels between the two; the watches that use these movements are most entry Seiko 5s, the SKX, etc). Their reputation is mostly positive, they're very accurate for the price (some can go down to +/- 2 seconds a day) and are very simple and robust. I've heard people not needing to service them for several years.

It goes to that saying...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nah, I definitely want the Stowa Flieger. I am obsessed and in love with that watch.

Buy it then. You will know when it needs servicing... and since it probaly has a generic (decent) ETA machinery inside (i havent check but whatever) probably any nearby watchmaker would service it no problem for a moderate amount.

How much does servicing usually cost? How will you know when it needs to be serviced?

Why the fuck did the Stowa Flieger just jump up by 200 dollars on their website?

Just yesterday the Stowa Flieger was 831,93, now it's 990 euros. Fuck this bullshit.

Unrelated but I couldn't find a watch thread
Should I cop this or the metal one? This one doesn't look as flimsy as the F91W

Attached: AE-1200WH-1AVEF.jpg (500x500, 37K)

Crystal watches REEEE get a mechanical. Fuck the new age.

Attached: 935-lambda-tiefblau-2d-front-masked.jpg (1024x1024, 115K)

Attached: nomos-lamda-rosegold-oblique.jpg (1024x768, 439K)

this watch has a large profile, so do be aware of that

All they would have to add is a domed crystal and I would absolutely love it.