/scg/ Shoe Care General

Just bought some more J&M shoes, one suede and two calfskin. Really a newbie to the shoe care game. Should I invest in a leather care kit? Also, which shoe trees should I invest in?

Attached: 7162PCEx2GL._UL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCygkzPpueoIJQsLUnGEqFdA/videos
bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/fashion_accessories/embauchoirs?coloris=red_cedar
youtu.be/S8UmPvKiao4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Have never had dress shoes lose their shape without shoe trees

Ones exactly like in your photo, make sure they are your size, and the are full in shape, not just the front with a nub for the heel

youtube.com/channel/UCygkzPpueoIJQsLUnGEqFdA/videos

Everything you need to know about leather shoe care

Attached: 1521405609520.jpg (1024x1024, 91K)

they just stay much nicer, not exactly lose their shape or anything that drastic

Yes, as
said. It's less of a lost shape and more keeping the leather taut and looking better

enjoy your gross looking creased shoes

Gf bought me this. Is it any good?
What's the difference between the two?

From what I know the routine for taking care is some conditioner like sapphire rénovateur and then a coloured shoe cream and if you want shine and further protection you apply wax.

Attached: IMAG7847.jpg (3024x4032, 3.72M)

That's basically it, and from time to time you got to cleanse the leather from all the shit you're applying on it (coloured cream in particular will fill the pores with time, making it unable to breathe). There are creams for that, but a good thorough scrub once a week or so with the adapted brush can do the trick imo

Is the Allen Edmonds leather shoe care kit decent?

Bump for this

How expensive should shoes be to justify shoe trees?

I mean, if you care about how you look whatsoever you will pick up a solid pair of dress shoes sooner or later.
It's not like a good pair of shoe trees will ever really break or become worthless, I still have a bunch of old ass ones from my grandpa I use.

Are leather soles on Oxfords worth the premium over rubber?

Depends what weather you have, where you'll be wearing it and how often. If you get lots of rain dont get the leather soles, If you'll wear them indoors mostly leather is ok. If you rarely wear them at all the sole doesnt really matter.

Leather soles are nice to have, sliding in them is great fun.

Leather soles are kind of a meme to be honest.
You won't have nearly the same grip on them and your shoes will generally wear down much faster.

So they're more just a status thing? Like Allen Edmonds or Aldens?

A single or double leather sole is more flexible and you will feel stones under your foot, sharply. There is something to being able to do it because you can. There is also the aspect of showing off those horribly ugly soles while maintaining a well polished upper shoe that some people enjoy.

The thing is though that bare leather soles were a bit of a fad around the mid to late sixties and it isn't really recommended. They are slippery and the sharp jolt when you step on a stone just isn't worth it.

Get some fucking shoes trees because they will last DECADES!!! Also, yeah clean your fucking shoes. Like, take the laces out and clean them up. Use a damp rag, moisturizer, a horse hair brush and maybe some wax. Clean them and take care of them.

Good shoes are an investment that will save you money in the long run and often improve over time.

Attached: 3-days-of-the-condor.jpg (1053x552, 191K)

Where can I buy some good shoe trees?

bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/fashion_accessories/embauchoirs?coloris=red_cedar

How do i get rid of smell in some suede gazelles?

Cedar shoe trees that smell strong should help. They also have the dryer balls for shoes or shoe bags that can help too

Are there any affordable starter sets with brushes and shit you guys can recommend?
Just ordered my first pair of nice dress shoes (black oxfords) and I really don't even know where to begin with all this stuff.

So far I ordered a nice shoe tree. I have some pretty expensive leather care bees wax balm thing (pic related) I bought for belts and my leather bag ages ago too, should I just work that into my shoes and polish them with an old cloth or something?

Attached: 5dd09bd579f882ab24cc15b9a8756120.jpg (350x311, 14K)

Any horsehair brushes will do, and yes, you can use your balm onto the shoes. Just make sure you test it on a small area first, since different leathers react differently

So just brushing out the dirt with a horsehair brush, then massaging that balm in with my fingers, and then polishing it to a shine with a random cloth would already work or do I need more stuff? When looking at random shoe cleaning kits on amazon they have all sorts of different brushes and fifty different polishes and balms, I'm pretty lost to be honest

>autists who put shoe trees in their sneakers because they spent a months paycheck on a them and focus their whole day's energy trying not to scratch them while out and about

youtu.be/S8UmPvKiao4

Who said anything about sneakers? Using them in Oxfords and Derbys

Absolutely nothing wrong with putting shoe trees on a few hundred dollar all leather sneakers. Why do you come and specifically start talking about this in the thread. Are you by chance 5 year old?

So basically all I need is a single brush and some polish then? The wax doesn't even sound needed at all with a good polishing creme.

Why the fuck do all these starter kits come with like a dozen different brushes and products if it's that simple

You clearly have no idea about the construction of sneakers vs leather soled boots/shoes.

Shoe trees in sneakers is pure autism.

Generally, unless you have bespoke shoe trees, I don’t advise storing your shoes with the trees in them. When you take your shoes off, let them air out for a bit and then put the shoe trees in to absorb any lasting moisture, maintain the shape, and pull the stink out of them. Then take the trees out after a couple hours.

You want your shoes to shape to YOUR feet, not the shape of the trees. This is why bespoke is the way to go.

You can get cheap, full-size wooden shoe trees for like $20; so maybe +$200 shoes.

This is silly. Unless you do have bespoke shoes, they won't fit exact anyways, so for optimal looks and to keep the leather taut, you need shoe trees since your feet won't be able to fill completely most likely