Who /anticonsumerism/ here? Not the act of consumption which everyone has to participate in to live...

Who /anticonsumerism/ here? Not the act of consumption which everyone has to participate in to live, but the overconsumption of bullshit you don't actually need in your life. It's even worse with the fashion industry because of the terrible third world labor conditions and sweatshops.

I still enjoy fashion because I think it's a fun hobby to play around with, but I mostly shop mom and pop thrift stores or make my own clothing out of other stuff nowadays.

Attached: thrift-660x400.jpg (660x400, 79K)

Thrift stores are the way to go. Insanely good deals on rare stuff and none of the money goes to corporate jagoffs. I've made whole fits just from thrifting and get compliments all the time because I'm not wearing generic mallcore like everyone else.

>none of the money goes to corporate jagoffs
What about Goodwill?

There's a lot to consume, why not consume as much as you want?

I'll stop you write there in the middle of your 95 IQ deep intellectual post you're about to make, there's no reason not to.

There's nothing deep about it--overconsumption is simply not healthy for your mind and then by extension your body.

>not healthy

Kek, if you think there is anything healthy for the human mind about current western societal norms you are stuck 300 years in the past my guy. If that is what you are stuck on you have nothing.

Of course current western societal norms aren't healthy. So why voluntarily participate in them? I'm at least lucky enough to live in a place where I can be apart from many societal norms and still have social standing.

except for goodwill

(you)

>So why voluntarily participate in them?
If you think you can somehow abstain completely from society you are wrong, and even if you could that is probably worse for your mental health than participating.

This is a lose lose game. Don't try to take pride in having a superior system of ethics because that just doesn't matter anymore.

Never said I'm abstaining completely for society, I specifically mentioned I'm thankful I can not participate in several societal norms, not the whole thing.

I don't hold it against anyone who participates in whatever. Let me do me and you do you, I don't think I'm much better than anyone else. I do think there are certain unhealthy behaviors that most people would be happier doing without, but that's the extent of it.

third world labor conditions may be bad by first world standards but those jobs help grow economies in third world countries. healthy economies have to start somewhere. also, when these jobs are reduced or lost because of western activism the alternatives for those people are often much worse, like starvation, prostitution, etc.
I do agree that consumerism can be awful for the environment and psychological well-being.

Do it for her

Attached: Mutter Natur.jpg (800x737, 313K)

>Goodwill
lol Goodwill fuckin blows. Locally owned thrift shops ALWAYS have cooler shit and the money is kept circulating in the community.

you have to put in a lot of time to find nice items from thrift/mom and pop shops. some people would rather spend money and save that time.

>but I mostly shop mom and pop thrift stores
so you boycott one business for being a business just to go to another. congratulations. you do realize that a lot of the stuff in thrift stores didnt start out in thrift stores but actually the places you refuse to shop at?

Do you know how much clothing goes to landfills? Literally no reason to buy brand new clothes.

>some
"most" would be a better word

You are a man of my heart. I love fashion and yet I hate it at the same time. It's the overall enjoyment of aesthetics that make me happy and not the items themselves.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with taking enjoyment in the items themselves either. It's just so easy for people to overindulge and think that items alone will make them happy, that's all.

Everyone has to have a hobby or two, and I like the creative aspect of putting together outfits or sewing my own from old stuff or from scratch. But I make sure everything I get or make is something I really do love and do wear. My wardrobe is decently minimal (at least compared to others I've seen). I don't hold it against anyone who has a hugeass wardrobe or anything either. I just try to be as deliberate as possible in my own life to maximize my enjoyment of stuff and not go out and get the latest thing just because it's the latest thing or whatever.

thrifting and buying second hand designer pieces seems to be the way forward for me, ethically speaking. Its the same with my veganism - I'll still wear leather shoes but only those bought on eBay or from charity shops so I'm not supporting industry while preventing materials from going to waste

So you're the type of vegan who would totally eat lab-grown meat, or non-sentient animals like oysters I assume? That type of veganism makes a lot more sense to me at least.

I understand the problems with the dairy and meat industry, but I think the nutritional tradeoff for not consuming (high quality, grass fed or free range etc.) meat isn't worth it for your typical human. I also believe humans hold dominion over animals so I have no ethical issue with the killing of animals themselves. But I would prefer us moving away from our current shitty model, so I try to buy local good quality stuff only when I can afford it.

Second-hand clothes are the only thing I buy nowadays because there's just so much fucking waste and I'm autistic about wasting things (symptom of growing up dirt poor maybe), not even a strong environmentalist or anything. When something gets too ratty I either try to repair it as much as I can, upcycle it in some way, or use it as a cleaning rag.

>Its the same with my veganism - I'll still wear leather shoes but only those bought on eBay or from charity shops so I'm not supporting industry while preventing materials from going to waste
Except veganism is opposed to the use and perpetuation of animal derived products

>but I think the nutritional tradeoff for not consuming (high quality, grass fed or free range etc.) meat isn't worth it for your typical human.
All essential for the human organism nutrients can be found in a vegan diet.

>I also believe humans hold dominion over animals so I have no ethical issue with the killing of animals themselves.
Humans also hold dominion over their children so I guess there's nothing wrong with exploiting and killing them either right. Subhumans with petty minds like yours are the scum of the Earth.

I hate that all the thrift stores are on the otherside of town from where I live and the best ones are in the neighboring city 35 minutes away

>35 minutes away
Boo hoo hoo

tfw the only thrift stores in your city only have women's clothes

>>>this