Contacting modeling agency

I'm thinking about applying for male modeling agency.
Question for models (or people who knows this business) : when applying for modeling agency for the first time do you need to send portfolio pictures done by professional photographer or can you send few photos of your self taken with a smartphone?

Attached: johny.jpg (423x640, 61K)

All you do is send them a link of your instagram

not everyone has instagram

reeeeeeee

It literally doesn't matter what the source is as long as it makes you look unique, shows what your body and appeal is like, and gets across what kind of potential you have.

Those pictures are going to be both your "skillset" and "past experiences" sections of a conventional application combined into one, so you damn better make sure they make you look as unique and appealing as possible. If that means hiring a professional that guides you through the steps and helps you with what to wear and where/how to pose, it's definitely worth it.

thanks good advice.

>when applying for modeling agency for the first time do you need to send portfolio pictures done by professional photographer

MO. NO. NO. Anyone who says this or wants to take photos for you for modelling is a scam agency.

You need 2 untouched photos. Imagine standing against a wall and taking a photo. You need a head photo and a full body photo.

"Portfolio" photos aka lightning, photoshop etc. will end up in the trash. It's the reason why there are thousands of IG wannabees with super shooped material who are not and never will be models. If you are good enough and have the look a normal average everyday photo will do.

Once you are taken on and are doing professional jobs you then add them to your portfolio. A non-agency model with a "portfolio" they paid for by a local photographer means nothing.

But why male models?

To add to my post, I work as a paid model for a London agency, how I got there was I turned up on an open casting day. There is/was no option to bring along portfolio photos.

I went into a room, stood against a blank white wall and they took the 2 photos. I took my jacket off and was wearing a simple t shirt and chinos so you could see my body shape.

After they did that with everyone they obviously look through the photos and contact people.

They want to see what the base you looks like. The clean palette. They don't want to see you dressed up, makeup and angles because that tells them nothing. You always start with the clean palette.

Once you are with the agency people who require models will see your portfolio on there and what looks you can achieve and contact said agency. There are often rules like you contacting people for jobs yourself because you generally represent the agency. If you do contact people yourself being part of an agency as a pro model gets them to take notice and consider you. A non-agency model sending the same is likely to get zero responses.

Only snake agencies request they will take you on and do portfolio pics for a charge. Your looks are what carry you, you don't need money for it, you are an asset to any reputable company and they wont be requesting money from you.

thank you! this is exactly what i wanted to hear.
Do you know if its possible to take these ''untouched photos'' by myself? or is it no way possible without friends help?

can you talk about what its like doing model work? Is it enjoyable? Decent pay? Is it as cool as its hyped up to be or is it secretly not too great?

Also can you send a pic of yourself? im curious but if you can't no worries

because i'm male...

Not the same guy but generally it's pretty chill. I've only been in the industry about 7 months and have been having a good time. I'm not doing it full time yet, just fitting it in around my school and part time job.

Once you get used to what to do on set and how everything is supposed to work things go smoothly.

when do you start earning money? i heard that runways doesnt pay at all...

That's fine if you go to a recruitment event like you did, but if you send in your resume out of your own initiative and only include two really basic pictures like that nobody is even going to take notice.
You'd have to be insanely lucky to get more than a glimpse from someone, chances are it'd go straight into the bin without anyone halfway relevant even taking a look.
Obviously you don't want to send five dozen heavily photoshopped pictures in, but including a handful, maybe 2 or 3, images to set you apart from your competition and hopefully capture someone's eyes is definitely a must.

I don't see why not. Just take a clear head/body photo with no filters. Imagine a police mug shot to be honest, that's the kind of face shot you want.

It's not really glamorous unless you are the top of the top. I worked in basic jobs though, a 9-5 and I hate that lifestyle so in comparison it's good. There's a lot of waiting around and things like that, much how there would be in filming a movie etc. but it still feels a bit more fun is how I would explain it.

Imagine waiting around in a field for 1 hour to film a movie scene. That would still be more fun than waiting around in a field for an hour to then go and pack potatoes in a factory. It might sound silly but it does have the cool factor.

Of course there are the off scene things like maintaining your weight and looks, even at a bar if someone is giving you shit you have to always have in the back of your mind don't get into a fight in case you end up with a scar or something.

Pay is hit/miss, you are unlikely to make a full time living (I work 20 hours per week part time job) and there will be things like health magazines, or clothing in which you are 1 of many rather than the whole centre of attention. Those are the big jobs.

I don't want to dox myself, especially not on fa with lunar core and sleaze core threads lol..

There truly is nothing to lose though. They can only say no but you can maximize your chances of them saying yes by making their life easier and following the correct routes.

Runway doesn't pay well, fun though, I guess. You gotta have the height too for runway while a 5'10" guy can still do other forms of modelling.

just have a friend take 100+ photos from different angles, then pick out the best ones

bonus points if you have acces to a good camera

Attached: 8615d60b1d549d80c99312b6292c1605.jpg (610x610, 79K)

I started earning money as soon as I started getting work.

I'm in a smaller city and have yet to have the opportunity to do runway.

I can't imagine what it is like to look like this.

Pic related is me. My chances of modelling? Probably zero. Such is life.

Attached: img7.png (835x474, 618K)

Hey do you think somebody very tall(6.7 with characteristic face (very childish) have a chance being a model ?

pic not included because im shy

If you look good, sure.
Being very tall is an asset in and itself, it let's you stand out from the masses - in the end it's all in how you look and present yourself though. If you are super self-conscious about your towering body and extremely shy you probably won't make it. You gotta play to what makes you unique.

A tall lanklet with a kids face. Gosh.

Really though, it's going to be hard at that height apart from a limited "tall and big" people category that places like asos or whatever use. certainly not high end companies though.

there will be an open casting day in my city in few days. How shoud i prepare if i want to go there?

>Being very tall is an asset in and itself, it let's you stand out from the masses

Clothing companies want a somewhat tall good looking dude to represent their range that appeals to the masses. A huge guy does not. Nobody can connect with a huge guy wearing clothes in a magazine and most of the clothing will look off.

Being around 6'5" plus in modelling is not an asset at all.

Be well groomed, no makeup or anything, wear casual clothing, nothing fancy, no turning up in full Rick Owens! Be confident, not cocky. Don't be shaky nervous. Be a relaxed, chilled person. That goes for modelling in general. Nobody wants to work with someone stuck up their own ass or who makes numerous demands. When you make other peoples lives easy; you make your own easy.

If you are in a room with others, don't start comparing to them and losing focus, you are not the one deciding.

thanks!

I'm surprised this is a really decent thread, some good advice in here anons!

Attached: 1512925639999.png (469x452, 277K)

Good luck and remember if you're not right for that casting agency, it doesn't mean you are not right for others.

lip balm, knee pads & mouthwash

B-B-Bump

I thought this was a screenshot from Apocalypse Now for a second lol

I recently signed with IMG and that was due to a smaller agency finding me through Instagram and in turn IMG found me through them. But in terms of headshots doing them on your smart phone in a well lit area is fine, just make sure you know your angles. Good luck!

Wear well fitting clothes and nice black shoes. I tend to wear boots, black slim fitting suit pants and a slim white tee.

thanks, i only have black boots now since i moved form another city...

I'm 5"9, Asian, and have a big forehead/receding hairline. Can I make it guys?

pics?

Will my feet size limit me? It's proportionate to my heigh, so is my weight but I worry about it.

Many people tell me I could be a model but I'm insecure about it.

All positive. As long as you have pronounced cheek bones and a strong jaw you have a chance.

im 18 5'8 with late bloomer genes, i have a unconventionally attractive face and have photo modeled before. do you reckon i can still grow and if so what's the cut off height for most high fashion modeling?