Excel thread

/g/ was of little help, and I know that Veeky Forums is quite handy with Excel.

How do you become an Excel wizard? I'm wanting it for financial shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Microsoft-Excel-Analysis-Business-Modeling/dp/0735669139
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's as easy to use as word. I don't understand what is so hard about opening up and using it? Not like you're learning R or Python.

Read john walkenbach's excel books and you will be a god.

youtube.com/excelisfun

You have know financial/statistical formulas if you want to make any sort of model using Excel.

Oh sick, nice!

>You have know financial/statistical formulas if you want to make any sort of model using Excel.
I'm already a maths undergrad, so I'm in a good position there.

Financial mathematics is based on very advanced probability. Your undergraduate mathematics isn't really sufficient.

>Financial mathematics is based on very advanced probability. Your undergraduate mathematics isn't really sufficient.
I'm working on it, I'm doing mathematical finance stuff next year, followed by shit like black-scholes.

Fuck Excel. Learn RDBMS data modeling and SQL then Python and Numpy. You'll be way more successful and empowered.

Microsoft's online help for excel is actually based off this work:

amazon.com/Microsoft-Excel-Analysis-Business-Modeling/dp/0735669139

nigga, just look up the key shortcuts

Just fucking open it and use it? You're not actually coding so what's the problem?

Chandoo is your friend, google it

Excel is largely muscle memory when it comes down to it. Use it a lot for different stuff. Learn how to use things like vlookups, ifs, nested functions etc. until you can move data around really comfortably.

Excel can be a pain in the ass (particularly on OSX), so if you end up doing the same tasks over and over again, automate them through python using Pandas, thank me later

why are you not using google spreadsheet ? i mean seriously ?

>college kids really believe this

As a FINC major, any math major could transition into FINC easily. It'd be mostly definitions and understanding why you're using the formulas, but the math part is fuckin' ez

How advanced probability are we talking about? Do you need to use measure theory?

>still using those pixelated 4k pics

Bump

Are you trying to bring Lebesgue integration into this?

Auditor here. I use it everyday.

The most common tools I use are sorting, text to columns, matching functions, v lookups, pivot tables, ect.

It's all about seat time. You have to use the program everyday to become a wizard. I now want to get into making macros.

What financial shit are you wanting to do?

financial analyst here for a small-medium sized company.

This guy pretty much sums it up. I've only been working 4 months and my skills have improved at a very fast rate.

Always remember to use "at the beginning and ending" of each formula.

Just because. lol.

It's literary as simple as googling how to learn excel advanced. Fucking normies