Car advice

my car is starting to have transmission problems. its got 180k miles on it, needs new tires, new belts, will need new brakes before the winter, has some exhaust problems so may need a new catalytic converter soon too.

i havent had a car loan in 7 years, and when i did, i payed it off in half the time that i was suppose to. my credit right now sucks though because i used my credit cards to pay for my last two semesters of tuition (so $9.5k of $12.5k credit taken). by the end of the summer i will have all my debt paid off, but i dont think i have that long to get a new car. i'd like to find a place that would use my car as a down payment, or at least part of it. but i'm not sure how to find a place that takes pieces of shit (kbb value trade in value ~ $1.5k) as down payments. any advice in getting a new car that isnt a piece of shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-A-S-IV-102S-Tire-P225-75R15/47406725
walmart.com/ip/Antares-Comfort-A5-235-70-16-106-H-Tires/49651427
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get a rebuilt tranny with warranty and etc etc

still cheaper than buying a new car

or if you get full coverage, sideswipe a bridge before hitting a pole

Why are you looking for validation?

Your car is fine and you just want to justify wasting money on a new one don't you.

>transmission problems
get that shit fixed asap, transmissions are a bitch to deal with

>its got 180k miles on it
depending on the car and the maintenance performed, it can easily get another 100k miles

>needs new tires
don't skip out on tires, m8, otherwise you're in for a bad time.

>belts
that comes with regular maintenance and high miles, buy them yourself and ask the Veeky Forumstists for help

>brakes
again, buy these yourself but like tires, don't skip out on them, and again ask the Veeky Forumstists for help on how to do a brake job

>catalytic converter
If the problem here is getting a vehicle inspection sticker, and you are failing the test because of a bad cc, go to a local independent small time shop and have them clear the check engine light codes (or you can even do it yourself) and drive around for a bit. Following that, get the test and you'll pass. If that's not the case, then go to a junkyard and pull one from a similar car

>>belts
>that comes with regular maintenance and high miles, buy them yourself and ask the Veeky Forumstists for help
>>brakes
>again, buy these yourself but like tires, don't skip out on them, and again ask the Veeky Forumstists for help on how to do a brake job
Seconding this, once you know how, replacing belts and brake pads for any pre-2010's car is almost easier than changing the oil.

>car dealership owner fag

What is the year, make, model of the car? I doubt any dealer is going to give you $1500 on trade for it (for what i assume is a small economy car). KKB does a poor job of giving true values for cheap cars.

Also, all these people trying to give advice without knowing what model / year the car is are ridiculous. There can be huge differences in cost from one vehicle to another when it comes to transmissions, tires, etc.

2005 ford escape

all 4 tires is $400, belts/plugs is $150, front brakes are $250, plus labor for all that is probably $400. and any tranny work is anywhere from $400-1400. so to keep it it would cost between $1.6k-2.6k, not include the catalic converter which has had to be welded back on twice in the last 3 years..

Just remove the catalytic converter what state do you live in

ct, emissions every 2 years but i just passed 6 months ago

Wew, lemon, I know because I own one. Wait until the alternator goes, it's under the engine and above the axle. Ford procedure is like 8 hours labor. It can be done in 4 another way tho. Also tranny went on mine, coil on plugs went, alternator twice, alignments a lot of tires wear badly, electrical problems with door sensors...it goes on and on. Good luck but lost cause in the end.

my alternator went around 50k miles ago on me in the middle of the highway. was lucky to make it to the side of the road.

how much was the tranny work?

if possible just buy a bicycle. you said youll have your cards paid off in a few months. tough it out on a bike and then once your cards are paid buy a new car.

i commute 60 miles round trip twice a week for one of my jobs

Heres some info if you decide to keep the Escape

>>>Tire cost installed (2 possible tires sizes depending on trim):

>P225/75R15
$71 tire + $15 balance / valve steam + $3 old tire disposal x4 = $356+tax installed
walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-A-S-IV-102S-Tire-P225-75R15/47406725

>P235/70R16
$67 tire + $15 balance / valve steam + $3 old tire disposal x4 = $340+tax installed
walmart.com/ip/Antares-Comfort-A5-235-70-16-106-H-Tires/49651427

Walmart tires are fine for an escape. The rear geometry of the suspension is terrible so you blow threw sets of tires regardless of what brand you put on there. Might as well save the money

>>> Belts and Plugs
>2.3 liter 4 cylinder
Do the spark plugs and coil over plugs yourself. very easy to do on this motor. Mechanic for the belts, unless you are inclined. Buy the coil plugs on Amazon, buy the spark plugs and belts at an auto parts store. Mechanics typically won't let you bring in your own parts for them to use.

>3.0 Liter 6 cylinder
The spark plugs and coil over plugs will be more difficult to do yourself on the v6, due to the available space in the engine bay to access the rear coil plugs. If you do decide to do it, once again buy the coil plugs on Amazon, buy the spark plugs and belts at an auto parts store. You'll get raped by a mechanic to have them do this repair, since you'll get fleeced on the parts they have to use from the auto parts store. Coil plugs have huge mark up at o'riellys / napa / etc.

>Hybrid Escape
Trade that pos in and get away from it.

>>> Front brakes
Unless you are mechanically inclined have a mechanic do these. You don't want to fuck with the brakes if you are not confident on working on them, too much liability if you mess up and hit someone or crash your car because you forget a step during the reassembly. Should be about $100 in parts and $130 in labour to have the fronts done. Parts stores and the internet are about the same on prices for these.

Cont.

Cont.

>>> Transmission
>Front wheel drive
$400 to $1400 is a fair estimate, I would probably bank on it being on the high side of that. There is no such thing as cheap transmission repair, you get what you pay for. If a shop has better reviews and a better facility, go there even if they are more expensive. Don’t need to shell out $1000~ for a shit job and a still broken tranny from a shop that won’t stand behind there work

>All wheel drive
I haven’t had to do replace an Escape AWD transmission, but if it’s anything like other awd fords it will be very expensive. Explorers are around $3600 for an AWD tranny to replaced and installed. If this is the case trade it in.

>>> Emissions
My state has no emissions testing so I have limited knowledge other than cats are expensive.

>>> Rear strut tower mounts
CHECK THEM RIGHT NOW. If they are rotted out from rust get rid the thing, do not put any more money into that dead car driving

TL, DR
>FWD 4 cylinder
Keep it
>FWD 6 cylinder
Keep it
>AWD 4 cylinder
Trade it
>AWD 6 cylinder
Toss up, I would still probably trade it
>Hybrid anything
Trade it
>Bonus round: Rusty rear strut towers
Trade it

pic related, bad rear strut tower mounts

2sp00py4me, m8.

go on craiglist and low ball everyone

>my car is starting to have
>180k miles
> Laundry list
Get rid of it fast, it's dying. It's going to cost more than it's worth in repairs.

Check your local dealerships, explain that you need a newer car. Dress well, be polite, and they'll run your credit for a loan to see what you can afford.
Don't try and use your car as a trade-in. Sell privately after you clean it and empty it out. Discount it due to needing new tires, don't mention the rest. You'll get more for it that way.

OP, if you do try and sell your car privately, do not refrain from mention the other problems. While this poster (I'm sure) is trying to look out for you, what they are saying is to screw other user out of a car. It's an incredibly scummy tactic, and even if you did not mention the other issues, anyone with half a brain will notice the cars problems upon inspection and during the test drive. Yes that includes the car feeling "funny" while driving and braking, looking under the hood at the worn belts, and noticing little tread on the tires.

TLDR: this op's advice on going to a dealership is another option, but don't listen to him about not mentioning the problems if you plan to sell it privately - that's a dirty move.

OP here, i just got back from tranny shop in my tower with good reviews. seemed like a good guy. showed me prices for other escapes, ranged between $2700-$3000 for what i need done. i have no 2nd or 4th gear. will most likely start calling dealerships tomorrow..

Sell the car and buy a camry for 6k. Dont spend another dime on it. Ford is shit

i enjoyed your reading your posts even though I don't own that car, have a (you).