Investments For People In Their 20s

What are some reasonably yielding assets with good liquidity? As a minimum wage worker I feel I have a higher marginal utility for every dollar than the average person, investing won't be worth it unless I recoup that premium. But to do nothing at a time of low interest rates is the same as wasting money isn't it? The market is panicking, doing nothing may be a valid play.

But there's also the overwhelming neccessity of doing things in life, things which will inevitably require money. I don't want to miss out on things I can afford due to lack of liquidity. Every opportunity is a networking opportunity, which I desperately require.

Maybe I should just play the options market and forget about taking actual positions altogether.

Other urls found in this thread:

thismatter.com/money/investments/capital-allocation.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You have come in at the perfect time. Stocks are at their all time highs, everyone and their mother is predicting years of sideways movement. Your more then likely going to lose everything.

I take hedged short positions. How fucked am I?

If you don't have a significant nest egg them don't even worry about it. First priority is saving 12-18 months worth of exenses.

Short assets in tech and housing markets.
Buy gold and sell it when the next crisis occurs.
Buy property, nobody can confiscate that from you unless you live in the third world or have a shit job.

Do you mean you take a short position then buy calls to try and minimize upside exposure? This is common practice and people lose all of the time doing this, but people also win all of the time doing this. It's more about the actual investment and less about the investment technique.

If you have no money invest in trackers and government bonds.

True, but I don't have any fixed expenses right now. I own half of the property I live in, but cannot sell for seven years.

Besides, I'm talking about liquid assets here. In an emergency I could flip them for fair value (for example bitcoin can be exchanged immediately), therefore as a rational investor I should have no bias between money and assets of equal value.

>bonds

negative real interest yo

The point of a safety net isn't just that it's liquid. It is also the least risky. Liquidity won't feel like an upside if an emergency happens and you have to cash out your positions at a loss.

cs:go skins

As long as the losses do not exceed opportunity cost I'm cool desu senpai.

>Stocks are at their all time highs

What's your point?

The s&p is always at its "all time high", pic related. if during any of those years you said "Lol look it's at its alltime high" you would've missed out on a lot of gains.

Technically it's not always at its ATH dipshit. I see the case you're attempting to make for investing in indexed tracking mutual funds as opposed to constructing a complete portfolio comprised of risky corporate stocks mixed in proportion with risk-free treasury securities. But you're position is only a good idea for the investor with less appetite for risk (the minority of this board).

I find it interesting you advocate a mixed portfolio, when the market in general operates as a mixed portfolio. All that wasted time that could be spent on the beach.

The true class of wealth is the leisure class.

is that faker??
who is that bitch beside him?

His gf, duh.

Index funds do not hold risk-free assets (treasury securities) in their portfolios so index-fund investing will not minimize risk for your entire portfolio unless the fund is bought and mixed in proportion to a risk-free asset.

Go read this:

>thismatter.com/money/investments/capital-allocation.htm

The market does not operate as a mixed portfolio. A market tracking fund would be $SPY. SPY doesn't hold any investment in risk-free securities so the buyer of the SPY fund cannot have a complete portfolio buy only purchasing shares into the fund. You may get a return that you like but it could be greater with the same level of risk you are undertaking with investing in the fund.

Why would anyone hold treasuries now? Returns are negative. You'd make more money stuffing it into a mattress and renting it out to hookers.

Buy MGT

his gf is white? wth?
also lies, those players aren't allowed to have relationships. they prob gets ton of fan letters, but that's different.

I guess that explains why she they killed her. Apparently she wanted to go public with their relationship.

Who /cashhoarder/ here?

Enjoy losing 2% annually, not including unrealized, potential gainz.

>wat is negative interest rate

I don't think you understand how that works.

Explain it to me then. Im a saver, am i a bad person because i want to save money and just invest in secure trackers?

It's a complex paradigm but it does not mean the government will pay you for holding cash. High interest rates are favourable to savers. With interest rates near zero or negative, you're not making any interest and only losing value to inflation (which is approx. 2% across the Western world).

So your 5,000 in savings is worth 2% less in real buying power by the same time next year.

You are being robbed of your wealth if you don't actively seek out growth and capital gains.

Thats if i leave my money in the bank. Whats the point in saving money at 2% inflation AND the bank forcing me to pay negative interest rates

>You are being robbed of your wealth if you don't actively seek out growth and capital gains.

well yes, kinda. that is just oversimplifying. 2015 cash did better than any asset class for example

But dollars are an asset, the dollar has been appreciating against other currencies recently, why don't you play currency markets?

If it is your own money then you are retarded. Only invest other people's money if you are going to take those types of positions.

The best thing you can do is invest in yourself and get a good job. Minimum wage is shit. Gotta have money to make money.

Get good at League of Legends and win multiple world championships

>20's

That bitch is dressed like a scene fag teenager

What do you consider a 'risk free asset'? Farmland?

Yo.

>muh inflation
While there's inflation, my securities will continue to go up. If there's a global depression, my cash will gain value. Stay mad old economy investor.

21 here this made me 300 now have 500 in robinhood ballin