AirBnb Host Discussion

I'm going to be operating Airbnbs in downtown Vancouver. I have a few questions for some experienced hosts who take Airbnb seriously and use it as a significant source of income.

1 - Do you meet your guests or let make them pick up keys at key holding services?

2 - How do you deal with neighbors/security/property mangers, and how do you make your airbnb as discrete as possible?

3 - Do you offer your guests parking? New strange cars in the apartments parkade every couple days seems like a dead giveaway for those investigating possible Airbnbs in their building.

4 - Whats your strategy during the off seasons? Do the amount of bookings drastically drop, and how much do you lower prices?

5 - Have you been confronted about Airbnb by a property manager? How did that play out?

5 cont. - How long on average does it take for the managers to figure out that you're operating in their building? (Assuming you've been being discrete)

6 - What are some giveaways through early messaging that someone might not be a good guest?

7 - Got any horror stories?

interesting topic, bumping

my asian "guest" found a loophole to stay in my fucking house for 2 years.

fuck airbnb

did he still pay daily?

FUCKING JIN YANG

I know a guy stayed for a week in this guys place in Philly. He's a "contractor". Dude copper mined the entire place and ripped off everything he could salvage and sell. Was gone 6 days later. Hacked account and stolen card number. Genius.

Dude, you have to give us some more details than that.

Is it legal to rent out the spare room in the flat I rent?

Pretty sure you are gonna feel heat from the airBnB police pretty quickly.

Sounds like your biggest fear would be the Jin Yangs and copper miners.

Depends on your local laws, your rental contract, etc.

Basically no one can tell you without knowing your location and exact circumstances.

Sub leasing is nit allowed in the majority of rental contracts

What happens if they find out? Do lots of people do this anyway?

damnit Jin Yang

Looking at moving out here in September

Who is Jin Yang? Is there a story i don't know?

I'm in montreal, I was thinking about buying a one-room condo and renting it out for airbnb

is it legal? do I have to pay a fuckton of taxes?

I work in the travel industry in vancouver.

That being said I've seen a huge increase in the number of air bnb rentals over the last year. Used to be 80% of travelers stayed in hotels with 20% staying with family or friends to over 50% of people now using air bnb.

It's getting so crazy that municipalities like Tofino on vancouver island are adding new regulations and taxes to try and curb this business.

Erlich. Bachman. Is your refrigerator running?

>23
>montreal
>own two 8 apt rental properties

If youre down to meet up and discuss airbnb ventures leave contact info and il reach you.

>Jin Yang
I am assuming it's the asian from Silicon Valley. He must have done something in the new season of the show related to airbnb.

hey man

email me at braaaty.101 [ARROBA] gmail.com, I'll give you my skype or something there

can u rent to me in sept? tia