Resume/CV Thread

Hey guys I am new to Veeky Forums and I really need some help with my resume. I know its pretty garbage and I'm sure the trash man will come and absorb it into his fat rolls. I need some serious advice on where to start and what people can get away with writing on their resumes for embellishment without going too overboard.

2nd sentence of the summary need rewriting, and generally is generic. A lot of people have skills section but i don't see the point if you put down Things that really should be standard. Just remember to Cater cv to the job you want to get

>always on time
>punctual
Why the fuck would you say the fucking same thing twice??

If you're even going to have a "skills" section, I'd put it at the end, you should lead with education and then work experience if you have any.

It's serious man, i know its garbage

Why the fuck do employers ask for CVs for the most basic jobs???

What the balls is this? You are in college? Put the education section first. Put your expected degree completion there. Include extracurriculars (sports, school paper, fraternity, clubs). Don't have any? Get some.

Get rid of that fucking horrible grid and find a way to include those skills in the description of your tasks at Woolworth's. Focus on what you did and how it helped the organization achieve their goals.

If you so want to have a skills section, classify them in business groups... ie:

Managerial: Schedule Management, Inventory Management
Computer: MS Office, Social Media
Retail: Customer Satisfaction

Also consider going to your school's Career Services center. They usually offer free resume critiques and guidance.

I will monitor this thread today. Reply if you have any appreciative questions.

That summary is utter shit

Guy that wrote the resume here looking for a job, OP is my friend that uploaded this.

I'm unemployed, I was supposed to join the Australian Army but I can't due to a medical issue with my foot. I also don't go to Uni either.

I appreciate your advice, thank you.

Should I add hobbies into this resume or not? I box to keep fit, I like languages and history.

About the organisation goals, does that need to be basic or in depth, because I was a bottom of the line worker stocking shelves.

Also because my resume is absolute bottom of the line, does it matter if it's just 1 page or 1 and a half?

Again thanks for your help.

Also I had work experience in highschool with 5 or so different plumbers but I cannot for the life of me recall any of the company names, should I add that to work experience on the resume and just not include the business names or just not put any of that in there at all because i'm not applying for a plumber job

Why not Uni? If you were enrolled and aren't anymore, just push back your expected completion date. In the interview tell them you're taking classes nights or weekends or online, making progress, and it won't interfere with your work. Then shift and ask them about tuition reimbursement it other education benefits. Win-win.

If you're hobbies are germane to the job, sure. Like if you code and you're applying for a tech job, or if you play piano and are applying to be a piano mover. Unless you can tie them to a specific skill, I would omit them.

If you want boxes to align everything, at least make the grid invisible in the settings.

You kept product on the shelves. With nothing to buy, the company goes tits up. I'd say that's an essential role. You have hands-on logistics and supply chain experience.

Since a lot of resume are read electronically now, length is less of an issue. 300-400 words per page is always what I shot for.

But you were punctual, yes? You contributed to projects. You can put something like

"Plumbing Subcontractor - 201x-201y"
- Task Alpha
- Task Beta
- Task Gamma

Is this an actual joke?

Thanks I really appreciate your help

I need to unfuck my life

Resumes are easy.

Most relevant information at top. So your name, contact etc. Next is most impressive, so the job that has the most time worked or most relevant skills to the job you want or any degrees you have.

From there just go from best to worst. Don't put any hobbies or extracurricular unless they are impressive or relevant.

Skills should be limited to 3, unless you are writing a skills based resume, which this is not.

Don't need to put a high school degree. If you have some college/uni, it's implied that you graduated HS.

Summaries are for essays, not resumes.

SANS-SERIF. Have you heard of it mother fucker? You're a professional, act like it.

OP your CV is shit, but I appreciate you starting a thread, haven't seen one in a while. Some tips:

>cater skills to the job - job wants experience in excel? Write that your job in plumbing involved detailed description and costs of each service (i.e. new pipe, clean up service and maintainance fee). Just extend and twist your bullshit as much as possible. The bulletpoints are standard so get rid of them. Input any programming or computer skills you have, as well as any other hobbies that pertain to the job - make shit up if you don't have any.

>rewrite summary to include what you did in life, how you went from one job to another etc.. but since you only had one job I don't know what I'd do. I'd just leave that shit out for now.

>rewrite experience bulletpoints to actually make them relevant to the job you're applying for. (i.e. Managed and organized company's supplies and equipment. Duties also included customer service, through which I maintained a higher customer satisfaction than other employees etc... twist this bullcrap)

>as for education, leave high school out, only include uni if and when you attend and finish it

Thanks guys. My resume looks nothing like the first pic now.

I haven't attended any further education other than high school, is there a reason to get rid of it? I'm not arguing it should stay, i'm just genuinely curious.

I'm assuming you're fairly young still. Dude when I am undergrad all I had in my resume was a summer job at fucking Taco Bell. You'll get there. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Figure out where you want to go, read up on how to get there, and start walking the path.

And fuck comparing yourself to others. Compare yourself to yourself yesterday. Anything else is a waste of time and emotional energy.

Fucking autocorrect is killing me. I'm from Boston, not some fucking Pajeet. Sorry for the terrible grammar and diction in these posts.

(OP)
Also, any subjective opinions of yourself are best kept to yourself until the interview.

>I consider myself a loyal, diligent and dedicated individual who is self-motivated and can work equally well both alone or in a team environment, something I would be happy to discuss in further detail at an interview.

I think that's much better, since you basically demand for an interview without explicitly saying anything.

As for education, I honestly wouldn't include it, but I'm finishing up my uni, so I have that. The way I see it, it's basically something everyone has - and no specific skillsets were taught that are relevant. It's just clusters CV up in my opinion and pisses off the employer who has to read through more bullshit than he has to. If location in which you attended highschool matters, just add it to your summary. I attended and finished high school in The Great Desert Outback back in Nov 2013, from which I graduated or whatever with summa cum laude or great marks or etc (even if you didn't - who would even check high school stats).

Not a problem.

I'm applying at a winery job for 30 bucks an hour on casual. (I'm Australian)

If I get the job I'll never forget you guys, I really appreciate the help and I've rewritten it all with the help of these posts.

post what you have user, maybe we can still unfuck it further m8

1 second just adding a few touches here and there. It's still not much at all to look at, I'm slowly writing it.

by 1 second i mean 10 mins as of now

Just take your time and post when you think it's finished.

Like I said, not much to look at, at all.

Is it necessary to add the dates to my work experience?
Should I add some very simple colour?
Do I get rid of the bullet points and put it into paragraphs or use something else?
Should I change the font?

roast me

This looks so bad I actually felt bad for you.
What you need is a profile section with filler shit like this:

"- Dedicated, responsible, reliable and easy to work with"
" Well-developed skills in organization, handling multiple tasks, working with others"

etc...

Being loyal isn't a skill.

>font

Thank you so very much mate, I can't say it enough I appreciate it.

Fit everything into one page.

You have to be 18 to use this site.

Frankly this resume is not going to qualify you for anything. You could just walk in with a contact card and tell them everything on your resume in one sentence. and repeat the phrase I'm a hard worker to every sound the interviewer makes and get a job.

Volunteer on some interesting stuff.
You're going to be replaced by robots soon.
What's it like to be the living dead?

Talk to your former manager about about what your roles and responsibilities actually were in "official Language" filled with buzzwords

Stuff like inventory and display management
consumer front end
Logistics with heavy lifting.

what job are you trying to get?

He's getting stronger

Harsh as I expected, yet I got the information I want, I'm 20 by the way.

Thanks for the info and advice, I'll add it to my resume tomorrow, bed time for me.

Oh yeah and the job i'm trying to get is at a winery as a laborer as I mentioned above, nothing special, but it's not a long term solution, I just need money.

I Appreciate your advice.

Don't worry lad, you get ripped a new one here instead of out there. It's all meant well.

>I just need money.

You're basically saying you're going to be a shit employee.

I hope to god you're not dumb enough to actually tell an employer this.

My resume, taken out docs at the top obviously

Any critique is welcome.

Nothing serious. Lines are not leveled. Some unnecessary spaces, some missing dots, capital letter missing on September etc.. Also use – instead of -

Most of these errors is just my OCD though. Was going to recommend a skills section before I read your work experience, so that's okay. Anyone reading through it will realise you know your shit. Just not sure if it's cropped or not, maybe add your name and email perhaps?

how awful is this? sorry saving it as a PNG makes it look shitty too

showed it to a friend and he hated the skills section and said it looked cluttered

I'm going to be applying to a small graphic design internship. I am probably going to push "Community involvment" up to the top because that's the only relevant experience I have really and probably drop the sales associate under employment

also, my GPA is not shit but I don't know how to include it without it looking like shit - any ideas? should I add anymore buzzwords?

should I just start over?

Template is wack yo. But I can dig it. Especially some trendy companies. There are companies I would not have a resume like this for. I would recommend making a regular resume

GPA should go by education. I delete the community involvement section unless you have real volunteer work (soup kitchens, habitat for humanity, etc). I would list that gaming interface thing under a project section. And your project section will grow as you do more and more projects. Each project should have a name and a 2-3 sentence summary.

You have all that white space in the bottom half on the left. Pretty fugly yo. Like I said it's your template. Do you have any achievements you can list? Academic scholarships, competitions won, etc.

Maybe since you are still young list your HS with GPA (and achievements in HS) under the education section.