How to live off of inheritance forever

alright, so i've got kind of a complex situation. from my dad + grandparents i recently inherited a total of about $1.65 mil, but i have very minimal access to it. the majority is in a locked trust until i'm 35 (about $850k), part is in a locked annuity (~$430k) that pays out 1.5k a month (don't think i can get a lumped sum), both of those accounts are invested very conservatively (mostly bonds i think?), which feels like a pretty big waste since i'm only 19. the rest is in a 529 ($260k, but it doesn't seem like i'll make it to college anytime soon), and investment accounts that my mom controls until i'm 21 (~110k ish). I just opened personal checking/savings accounts but its only at 5k so far. i'm still on disability (1k a month) but i'm trying to cancel that since i think the annuity makes me ineligible now.

my question is, how do i make this sustainable for life? 'early retirement' websites say you only need like 25x your yearly expenses, and i guess i have that, but i don't really have access or control. i have very little knowledge about financial planning and i'm worried about messing it up somehow. idk if i will ever be able to get/hold down an actual job so i would ideally like to work around the worst case scenario of never having one.

anyways, any advice is appreciated, i'm just feeling pretty overwhelmed

>have millions of dollah
>goes to cartoon board for advice

sorry, i just have severe autism, i didn't want to get judged by normies on "real" forums. idk, this website is pretty much where i am all day anyways, although admittedly usually not this board lel

So you want to be unemployed until you die?
What are your life plans?

1.5k a month is more than enough to live on you entitled brat.

you should talk to your mom about what you've said to us then go with her to a real financial adviser

I don't "want" to be, it just seems like the most likely outcome at this point since i've been a neet for 5 years at this point and really have no social/work skills whatsoever

my original "life plan" was something like: backpack around the world, bachelors + phd at top colleges, become academic, marry qt academic bf, have 3.5 babbies, win nobel prize, die, but pretty much all of that seems beyond me at this point, so idk what the plan is anymore. i've been daydreaming about doing the travel part soon, but i haven't left the house in months and.....idk, i guess i'm probably 'too far gone' at this point.

rent for a studio apartment is $1.3k here minimum, i would have to move out to the middle of nowhere, and i can't drive so thats not really an option. idk maybe i can find a super cheap city with good public transport, but i don't know of one off the top of my head

i mean we don't have a very good relationship, i was hoping to maybe get a little better and then get my own financial advisor, but idk if that can/will happen. maybe i will have to bite the bullet and go with her, but i feel like she's just domineer the conversation and i wouldn't actually get what i want/need out of it.

Just learn to drive then. It's not fucking hard.

I tried 3 times and couldn't pass the test, i have an anxiety/panic disorder and really really do not do well under pressure, and i'm absolutely terrified of driving. also the insurance and maintence would probably just end up being comparable to the rent, and i really don't want to live out in the boonies desu, i much prefer cities. but thanks for the advice, mr. norman

Move to a small town where you can walk to a grocery store. Eventually the community will feel sorry for you and find you work, don't mention anything to the locals about your inheritance though or you will attract all the single mothers in town like flies on shit. Even small towns have rentals to start with. Don't buy or move into a trailer park tho because you might want to try another small town some day. Sounds like you have a lot of first world problems really.

You could move to Reno. Most people would probably leave you alone and the public transit is relatively easy to use. You have gambling and 24 hour restaurants so you won't get bothered if you dont want to, and all of the condos downtown seem to be owned by absentee owners so you can get a nice one and also be left alone.

>ive literally been given a easy life
>1.5k month for nothing
>800k after 35
>retirement fund set up
These goals are unrealistic but good for you

Get a job
Learn about saving money
Save for going around the world with your job, use 1.5k to live
Talk to your mum, your family aren't rich just by chance, fact is she probably has a clue about money. Other fact is, youre autistic, you should depend on the judgement of CLEVER people who AREN'T autistic (that rules out Veeky Forums) so yeah get real financial advice

I failed the test 3 times before I passed it, didn't get my license until I was 25.

now 2 years later I drive an emergency vehicle for a living. I was no different from you in that I HATED driving, absolutely hated it because it was so terrifying, always was sure I was going to get into an accident and die. BTW the day before my 4th road test I went out and did a single lesson with a driving school (I had done a whole course with them when I was 18) just as a refresher and it helped a lot.

After I got my license my dad helped me out a bunch and would drive with me to work to help keep me stay calm for a little while until I had things more in hand.

Nobody expects you to progress at a rate other than your own, but we expect you to not give up because this is something you can do.

to clarify, my mother is not rich, we grew up on public assistance, it was my paternal grandparents who were rich, she knows nothing about money, she just wants me to buy cruises for 'us' to go on.

I mean, i'm kind of trying to avoid "wage-slaving", but i suppose it could be good from a personal development angle, it just seems kind of degrading and also i'd probably just get fired within a week because i'm insufferable to be around and have no skills whatsoever t b h. idk how exactly you plan to "go around the world" with what could really only be an entry level service job, but ok. i'd probably just have to use some of the savings for that.

that sounds absolutely awful.

i mean i live on the opposite side of the country but....maybe? i'd probably like to do the travelling thing before that, i think

i just realized after posting that that you probably meant "saving with the job" not "going around the world with the job", sorry for the autism. then yes, thats probably a better idea but the problems with me getting a job in the first place still stand

n-nice dude, congrats, your dad sounds cool

Do it however you wish. The only reason I recommend Reno is that it is a bus and train ride away from the bay area, if you ever wanted to visit a big city while living in a smaller one this is the ideal place to do it.

Just make sure you actually buy rather than rent.

>she knows nothing about money, she just wants me to buy cruises for 'us' to go on.
Sounds like she wants to blow the money, ignore her
>I mean, i'm kind of trying to avoid "wage-slaving"
If youre not getting a degree, prepare for a wage
>I suppose it could be good from a personal development angle
It would, you need to taste different flavours of independence
>It just seems kind of degrading
Theres nothing degrading about it, its perspective. When i worked in a supermarket people Round me saw my boss cracking the whip, i ignored that. I would go to work and get paid to help the store. Its a matter of perspective.
>i'd probably just get fired within a week because i'm insufferable to be around
Doubt it, you can string sentences together
>and have no skills whatsoever
And?
>t b h. idk how exactly you plan to "go around the world"
Easy, by talking to a travel agent
>with what could really only be an entry level service job
If you saved 100 a week you could go away every 20 weeks, it goes faster than you think.

>Id probably just have to use some of the savings for that.
Nah, use that 1.5k /month to pay rent and food and utilities

OP, $1.5K/ month is enough to live comfortably while travelling in places like eastern europe or south east asia. The only high priced part would be the plane tickets, you might need to save a bit first.

Hell, you could live for decades travelling in some countries and barely touching that money. (Or living like a king). With $1.6mil you do not have to ever work provided you live carefully.

I'm in a kind of similar situation, not autism but severe anxiety, also with maybe $2K/month location independent income, travel is something I've been considering too.

You are only 19. You have plenty of time to sort your shit out. Anxieties can be overcome with time and practice. But you have to have almost DAILY practice. Not scary shit every day, but just moderately awkward things you don't really want to do. Going outside is slightly scary? You gotta do that every. single. day.

"curing" anxiety is a long process that can take years. You must start now. I'm 28. I started trying to make some improvements from age 25. It's tough but I feel some improvement.

And keep your mother away from this money, from you saying she wants "cruises" it sounds like you are being far more sensible about it than she would be. Sure, a cruise or two might be nice but it should only happen as a result of you budgeting a precise amount of money per year for such luxuries.

also I learnt to drive age 25, a key part for me was having tons of practice driving with my mother on quiet rural roads. Even some off-road practice, just starting and stopping and maneuvering. Though if you only live in cities, not really much reason to learn.

the quickest way to get rich is by trading options. 1.5k is enough to play around with options and see what happens, as long as you live at home and don't have and expenses.

i mean i would rather get a degree than have to work menial labor my whole life, yeah, i'm just not sure i could get into any kind of decent college at this point, and because of the money i would have to pay full freight, i.e $250k + for a private or 80k+ for a public, and our publics are pretty garbage. so i'm a little lost on that.

i don't really need a travel agent, and i'm not going to do a 'work for 5 months travel for a week' type thing, i would just be backpacking around for a year or more straight, ideally. i can't save that much in a decent time frame, but i don't really see the purpose of having all of this money if i can't use it anyways, so i'd probably just take out 20k or so for it, plus the 1.5k would be more than enough.

yeah, thats what i figured, i could survive in SEA pretty much indefinitely, its just that i'd like to see a bit of western europe first and thats going to be a big drain.

and yeah, the anxiety is something i'm slowly trying to work on, the depression just keeps crippling a lot of my efforts, idk.

i'm trying to gain a little more control of the money, but the fact is my mothers still handling most of it and i worry she could probably find some loophole and take it, if she wanted to. idk, its something i kind of worry about. and i don't really enjoy cruises, but i do feel kind of pressured/guilted by her to take her on one, so i might have to at some point. she did give birth to me, after all.

that sounds like a bad idea but i might try it out of boredom at this point

>i'd like to see a bit of western europe first and thats going to be a big drain
Don't give up on that idea though, prices vary even across western europe. E.g. accommodation prices in France are a lot cheaper than say UK. Go on Airbnb and take a look at prices if you haven't already. Also the various online "digital nomad" communities have a lot of info for travelling on a budget. /r/digitalnomad, nomadlist.io

staying a full month in one location will save money on daily or weekly costs and cooking cheaply for yourself can save vs the usual tourist bullshit

you might find that once away from your mother and living independently, your depression mysteriously lifts...

honestly I've considered taking a family member with me travelling to start with, just to give me the courage to do it. Maybe you can do something like that... Think up somewhere you'd like to go that will also appeal to your mother more than a cruise.

>that sounds like a bad idea but i might try it out of boredom at this point
*also indeed don't trust 90% of what Veeky Forums says. Especially with regards to cryptocurrencies.

yeah i've spent a lot of time reading those type of sites, i've made some very detailed itineraries before i've just never been able to actually do them. taking my mom for confidence would be a pretty extreme solution, she absolutely hates any type of travel that isn't a prepackaged cruise type experience, but it might be my best option because i'm really not sure i can get started on my own at this point.

oh yeah i don't plan on buying any meme coins, maybe a little btc (for...other purposes) but i feel like i've already missed the boat on that one for investing, idk

>i've made some very detailed itineraries before i've just never been able to actually do them
ha, I've done pretty much the same. Bought a travel backpack and all necessary items. Made a packing list. But just too scared to leave.

Sometimes wonder if I even want to travel but I don't really like it where I am. If only there were no other people in the world I know I'd enjoy travelling and seeing different things... Or if I could do it somehow without any possibility of having to make conversation with strangers. Public transport and getting accommodation seems the worst.

the closest I've got to actually doing it is when bouncing off rock bottom but that's not really a good place to be

or the rare time I might take a tranquiliser and feel some happiness/positivity on that. But you can't really stay on those things...

1,500 is enough for a nice monthly apartment with utilities,wifi and housekeeping,plus food and weekly massages in SEA

OP you are a waste of human life. The world doesnt need weak pathetic retards like you. Do the future of mankind a huge favor and dont breed children and try to die young. Thanks.

yup, definitely relate, if i could just be invisible or something it would be a whole lot easier.

haven't tried tranquilizers, tried benzos but they didn't particularly help

yeah, the problem is just getting there at this point, but thats basically the plan i guess

sorry about being poor my friend. been there, it sucks :/

>haven't tried tranquilizers, tried benzos but they didn't particularly help
By tranqs I meant benzos, yeah. Agreed they don't help much.

The real best thing I ever tried was some kind of stimulant (I tried Methiopropamine, just a threshold dose), it actually gave a huge boost in positivity and motivation, for an hour or so. But not hugely useful for travelling, since you can't stay on them for the many days necessary to actually get stuff done or you'll get hooked. I sometimes still use it when I need to do something like make a phone call...

Modafinil is a mild stimulant-like thing that is probably more legal and has some small benefit too. It can help both anxiety and depression a little, it seems to suppress random negative thoughts and focus your mind. Definitely worth trying. It lasts all day too.

OP you have literally no problems forever. You don't need advice. Fuck off.

>to clarify, my mother is not rich, we grew up on public assistance, it was my paternal grandparents who were rich, she knows nothing about money, she just wants me to buy cruises for 'us' to go on.

This is going to sound harsh, but you need to be prepared to cut your mother out of your life. You need to shut this shit down, and shut it down HARD any time it gets brought up. I won't say that it's likely, but you need to be prepared for the eventuality that your own mother loses her goddam fucking mind because you wont share your wealth with her. This mindset will keep her poor until the day she dies. I've seen so many 500k-5mil trust funds destroyed in a few years because of people that never learned money management. It's honestly sickening watching people piss away their lives, and their children's freedom.

You have a golden opportunity to not necessarily live a life of luxury, but to live a life of relative ease and comfort that most people will never hope to reach.

Don't ruin it for anyone. This is your life. Anyone trying to take that from you is someone you do not want in it.

this. /thread

Use the 1.5k as a base and then go out and earn the fucking rest that you need to live. You could work like 3 days a week and that would fill the gap.

They set the money up like this for a reason OP.

But aside from that talk to a lawyer who specializes in securities and inheritance.

For someone like you, the whole thing should just go into a Vanguard index fund, then take out $30k - $40k a year to live off of.

THIS GUY THIS GUY THIS GUY

My monthly rent is $1500 where the fuck are you living and what are you driving, scum

oh shit sry, i'm not very caught up with slang.

i've heard a lot about modafinil, i'm going to try to get some but i don't think i could get a prescription or anything, so it'll be tricky. i've tried adderal and ritalin but they didn't help much, maybe i just didn't take enough idk. i'll have to look into methiopropamine, never heard of it.

unfortunately, "not having money" is not the only problem human beings are capable of having, but sorry you are experiencing it friend

yeah, thats probably the best option, its just hard because i'm very deferential and have a hard time speaking up and stuff, but i need to just work on that and suck it up i guess. it scares me how much i am still dependent on her at this point.

idk what jobs are 3 days a week, i might try to do some freelance from home or something but as i said, i'm not sure i can make it in a traditional work environment, the state/doctors don't think i can apparently, but maybe.

idk what a lawyer could do at this point, i was under the impression that most of these accounts aren't touchable by me (at least for a long time), but maybe they'd help clear some things up

its too bad they did not do the index fund thing, that would have been nice.

This is remarkably good advice, OP. Take it.

>it scares me how much i am still dependent on her at this point

Once you draw some distance it gets easier. Therapy helps if it's really bad. I came from a stay-poor mindset family myself so I can relate.

>yeah, thats probably the best option, its just hard because i'm very deferential and have a hard time speaking up and stuff, but i need to just work on that and suck it up i guess. it scares me how much i am still dependent on her at this point.

You don't NEED to directly stand up to her, but never, ever give in. Being a passive aggressive little bitch can be good enough if you don't give in, and she doesn't try to directly sabotage you.

>I'll do it later. Maybe another time. I'm not in the mood right now.

Your mom isn't automatically your enemy here, but she could easily make herself one. Be thinking in the back of your mind about your ability to just walk out, and cut all contact with her. She could try any number of horrific manipulative shit to coerce you into spending money, including spending her own, wracking up debts, and coming to you in a panic, trying to put you in a position where she is guaranteed to fail if you don't help her. If that happens, let her fail. Don't let her open things in your name either. If that happens, go straight to the cops. Identity theft is a crime, and anyone doing it is not someone you want to help.

I know it's horrific to think of your own mother this way, but if she doesn't back down instantly when you say you won't throw away your life away, you really REALLY need to think about protecting yourself. Maybe, just maybe she's one who will keep pestering, but is naturally emphatic enough that she won't be able to actually do anything to you, but from what I've seen, money kills that very quickly. She will most likely either back off, or need to be removed from your life.

>i've tried adderal and ritalin but they didn't help much
welp, in that case I doubt methiopropamine or modafinil will help much either, sorry :/

in case you try anyway, Modafinil I bought online from India. JCM Pharmacy. Better check your local laws though.

I work online as a web dev. Make some web apps/websites, get money from Adsense. Literally no human interaction required. obviously it does take time to learn the necessary skills and having good ideas for websites.

I've inherited £2.6M in real estate and still work.

i am super tired, sorry if this is all poorly worded or something

>I'll do it later. Maybe another time. I'm not in the mood right now.

never said that, was just saying that its hard for me with all the various mental illness stuff, but i'm trying

but thank you for the advice, i will keep it in mind

haven't had any good experiences with therapists yet but i guess i just have to keep looking

yeah i'm pretty desperate at this point so i'll probably still try it at least.

some type of programming is what i was looking at but i'm not a very creative or enterprising person so idk if i could actually get anything off the ground, i've followed along with basic python classes and such but then i never do anything with it >.<

c-congrats

OP, social events and parties will challenge your autism. I actually frequently run into well adjusted autists in the rave scene.

>never said that, was just saying that its hard for me with all the various mental illness stuff, but i'm trying

>but thank you for the advice, i will keep it in mind

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant to show those as examples of things you can say to redirect the conversation away from it. They are noncommittal responses. If she continues talking about it, just ignore it and continue talking about something else as if it never happened.

They taking psychedelics? I know a couple of people that basically turned their lives around after taking small doses of LSD a few times. Shit changes your perception of reality, apparently permanently for some people. Then again, I know of more than a few people those same people know who went clinically insane doing the same thing. Psychedelics and anxiety disorders do not mix well. I've been told that some people who take shrooms can start manifesting paranoia/schizophrenia.

Few family homes with good tenants in a good area is easily on the top 10 lists for a good inheritance. With a good management company it literally runs itself and just shits some money on a semi regular basis. Decent accountant to manage the long term major expenses and you can actually just ignore it and live life.

>i'm not a very creative or enterprising person so idk if i could actually get anything off the ground
Sites like fiverr are probably a good place to find out what work is in demand and get some experience.

you could find some boring niche to specialise in...

Could also look into if there are any novel ways of extracting money from the 529. Online courses, or other kinds of training that might be less intimidating than college? Study abroad?

Bumping to summon op.

good morning, i am still very sleepy, somehow

oh shit sorry, like i said i was really tired, i completely read that the wrong way lel. anyways, thank you for that, i will keep those examples in mind

i've never been invited to any kind of party or event and i don't really have any friends, but i ordered some lsd a few days back so maybe that will help, we'll see. i'm not really into "rave" type music anyways but maybe with drugs it sounds better lel

fiverr looks pretty good, i can't think of any skills i'm confident in off the top of my head but i can probably pick some up fairly quickly, ty

yeah, idk, i'll have to look into that. i've taken free online classes before, i guess i could pay for credited ones, but then i might have to apply as a transfer student if i did go to college later, idk. i'll have to look into whether it will pay for study abroad trips that aren't through a uni, i know it pays for ones that are, generally

>i ordered some lsd a few days back so maybe that will help, we'll see
wew

Pleeeaase come back here and report after you tried it. Use the same OP picture or something..

t. other guy with anxieties

...not sure that would really be appropriate for this board? would probably get me banned lel

maybe /adv/ or something? idk

also just bumping this thread

welp, rip I guess

>would probably get me banned lel
I doubt it. Just ask some question about finance as well or something. Or say you tried it to see if it'll give clarity in your financial decisions which is probably true :^)

>also just bumping this thread
If you need more advice than you've been given already, you probably need to be more specific. It honestly sounds like you've thought of most things yourself and have everything pretty much under control, even if you do feel overwhelmed.

Most of your money is apparently locked away, so your life now is basically: figure out how to earn however much you think you need ($1000?) on top of the $1.5K/month until you are 35, then retire for good.

(alternatively live very frugally and retire now)

If your mother was reasonable, I'd say try and get her to give you access to the $110K, then that's an extra $600/month until your 35 (maybe that's all you need?!)

or if you are feeling entrepreneurial you could use the $110K to try play around at starting some Veeky Forums venture. (Perhaps risky).

Tfw i will never inheriance
The only whealty Person in my family is my great great great ount but she started a Foundation with her money

But I must add she's clever she inheriated the money from her man who sold his company
Nobody knows how much she had but she put all in a Foundation wich pays her a part out for living

Also what exact control does your mother have over the $110K?

Can she legally spend it how she pleases until you are 21? Spend it only for your benefit? Not touch it at all?

Maybe you could offer her some incentive, e.g. if she pays it into your personal account right now you'll buy her the cruise she wants... (And then once you get it use some of it immediately to establish your independence from her - rent someplace or travel alone).

Also, all the rest of these trust things are explicitly in your name, correct? And your mother has not attempted to gain any kind of legal guardianship or power of attorney over you due to your autism? (i.e. you are the 100% legal beneficiary of these things and could sue her if she attempts to "steal" from you in any way).

lel, i'll be sure to try and think about my finances a little while i trip ;^)

and yeah, i guess i was just hoping for some new advice/perspectives that i hadn't considered, but i realize most of my problems aren't really financial and are mostly social/psychological. too bad /adv/ is even less helpful with that stuff, thats probably what i need to focus on though, yeah.

...i am realizing now that i don't actually know, she just told me she was "in charge of it" until i'm 21 and i was too depressed at the time to press her on the details, w e w. i need to sit her down and have a serious conversation about it, we aren't really talking rn but i guess i need to get a hold of her.

i know the trust/annuity/529 are all explicitly in my name though, yes.

she actually has attempted to gain legal guardianship, but my doctor wouldn't sign it. i'm actually really terrified of it, because it seems like i would be pretty defenseless if my doctor changes her mind, i would contest it in court but they might just give me a "court guardian", and theres lots of horror stories online of those draining all of the money from their "trustee's" accounts. it's a really terrifying possibility, i've just been trying not to piss my mother off anymore so she won't pursue it again but if she's really just after the money she probably will anyways, and i will basically be screwed.
it's just really upsetting to think about, because there really are very few legal guidelines on it and it basically comes down to how a judge feels on that particular day.

sorry this was all kind of worded poorly, i'm pretty exhausted rn

Do you have no other family you can trust/talk to? Maybe on your Dad's side?

>she actually has attempted to gain legal guardianship
Fuck.

Maybe talk to your doctor more even, it sounds like she is on your side. Tell her your real fears for the money and how your mother will probably waste it. And ask how you can avoid the legal guardianship ever happening / demonstrate that you are a functional adult.

At least, in the worst case, your mother can't touch the majority of the money for a while. The worst she can do is take the $110K and the $1.5k as it comes in monthly. Take comfort in that. And make damn sure that by the time you get near 35 you have worked on your issues enough to defend yourself against anybody having control over your $850K.

and also while you might not want to be judged by normies, you should suck it up for your own benefit. Reddit can honestly be a good place to ask specific questions, there's probably either legal advice or autism subreddits. Ask specifically about avoiding legal guardianship and gaining control of the $110K (or ensuring it isn't wasted) since they seem to be your most pressing problems.

...and be careful with that LSD, it was something I considered myself but decided was too risky with a fragile mental state... and getting arrested while high or something isn't going to look good to anyone.

My Dad was in a similair situation and I will be one day too. I'd recommend going out and getting a job, living a normal life. Consider a side venture like buying a house (or two) and renting it out as a base of stable income and then persue some self employment goals

lol by the time you are 35 your memefiat dollarinos will be worth shit nothing. Too bad your parents are too old to see the importance of investing in Bitcoin as an hedge to the unvoidable economical collapse. Good luck, you are going to need it.

You've basically been set up for life already by people who know what to do with money.

It literally doesn't even matter what shitty job you get just as long as you're earning money so you're not touching your savings.

You hit 35 and you're a millionaire.

lets get in touch, you can invest in my shill, im from Czech so thats actually pretty reliable right hmu

>Do you have no other family you can trust/talk to?

unfourtunately not really, i haven't talked to any of them in years now, my dads family doesn't know me because my mom divorced him early and never let them see me, my moms family hates me because i'm a neet failure.

i guess i've got to try to talk to my doctor alone, my mom usually just dominates the conversation whenever shes there, i don't have really good rapport with the doctor, but its my only hope at this point i guess.

i guess i can try to write up an reddit post about the problem, thats probably my best option right now, i was ignored the last time i tried to ask for advice there but maybe it was just bad timing/titling or something, idk if i can actually get over the autism enough to find and go talk to a real lawyer alone in person, but if my personal liberty is actually on the line again i will have to.

lsd is pretty much a last resort at this point, i have tried every single class of antidepressants and basically every other psychiatric option, nothing has helped. i just want to see if they might help it lift, just a little. its honestly worth (slightly) risking my life for that at this point, because it currently is not worth living.

sorry this post went entirely out of Veeky Forums range, idk i'm a mess

i chuckled/10

i do not entirely understand what you are asking me to do but i think the answer is "no", sorry

Never spend more than 4% a year.

So pretend like your income is like $66,000. Sounds low? There is a reason why most people blow through their fortunes.

Welp, good luck, user.

Try modafinil all the same.

Oh also did you ever try any kind of meditation/mindfulness?

Look up "zen mindfulness" if not.

It is basically... sitting still and trying to clear all thoughts from your mind. Push away, discard, negative thoughts as they come up. Try to focus on objects in the real world or the feeling of your body rather than being inside your head. Even try to summon up feelings of happiness. It takes a good 10 - 20 minutes to start getting in the "zone". It takes practice. And requires willpower to do regularly.

I sometimes try it while going out walking in a nearby town, since that's something that terrifies me. Removing all thoughts from my mind and then trying to pass other people while maintaining that state.

It definitely provides a little relief from stress and can help you figure things out.

It's locked away because they're aware of how much of a deadshit 19 year olds are.

Get a job and learn about investing and finance until you hit 35.

Better yet start a business.