Working in Dubai

> I'm a UK based commercial real estate lawyer. > Because of Brexit my sector has gone to shit.
> I have been given an opportunity to work in Dubai.

What's it really like working in the Middle East? I'd love to now what work/life balance, hours, safety etc are like without getting it from the firms and recruiters who obviously say it's all roses.

dude they have sharia law there
fuck someone outside of marrige and you go to jail and get some lashes
but apart from that it is pretty safe, probably safer than france right now

i thought a lot of the financial sector would move to frankfurt
why not try your luck in germany

My wife is German so that was the first thought. Unfortunately there is only a call for UK qualified lawyers in the middle east and Hong Kong (which I hear has a crap working culture). The Krauts only want German qualified people.

Do it.

I've talked to a couple guys that have been there who have told me its awesome. Money still flows like a river there. If you work with or befriend the right people you can make a boatload of money.

The Sharia law is more relaxed there overall, and for foreigners they are not that concerned with you following their cultural rules.

>moving to a backwards country that doesnt speak your language and thinks your wife isnt really a human for muh money

Should be the same as in the UK, sharia, muslims and all that.

Working in Dubai is very rewarding if you have a good salary, but the job market is very insecure. Dubai also has very high upfront costs to start most businesses, so be warned if thats what you want to do at some point. Everyone speaks english and the Muslims are chill as fuck, not like the Saudi's. Great Emirate.
You've clearly never been to dubai, you see bitches walking around in mini tight ass boots shorts and a bikini top and nobody says shit, its very westernized.
>retards who are jealous of all dat Arab money
Stay poor faggots

But Germany also has sharia law

It's a top tier society
Become a fake convert and they will treat you heavenly
trust me
(and do grow a beard)

I thought that was real but the water slide is fake.

I'm jealous you son of a bitch. Let's go over all the pros because the cons are almost negligible if you have common sense.

>you will get higher wages as a white male
>you will get higher wages from your British passport
>you will get higher wages from your western degree.
>you will be more respected just by the virtue of being a man, white, and western educated. Respect has a totally different meaning over there.
>being a Christian is a pro because you don't feel obligated to pray or fast during Ramadan.

Cons:
>Work politics.
>Almost all of your coworkers have more street smarts than you.
>expensive

Take me with you.

From what I saw on The Amazing Race its like Las Vegas if it wasn't run by fat dumb old people and senile reformed mobsters. i.e. pretty much a playground for the young

You have dope ass theme parks everywhere, they have sharks inside hotel pools and you can swim with them, they have water slides that are fucking crazy like in OP, 1000 foot tall skyscrapers, you can go camel racing, dirt truck racing.

Its true though that you won't be able to do a Fear and Loathing in Dubai because if you got caught with any illegal substances you might lose your hands.

Pretty shocking to me that I never heard of it before until after 9/11 and 10 years later it'd be a bucket list place.

Dubai as a European expat is great.

>huge salaries (more so than in Europe)
>lots of career possibilities (fast)
>extreme safety, especially for children, or at night (more so than in Europe)
>cheap maids, people always surrounding you for service so you never feel like some wage slave (you're not going to the coffee machine, someone brings you the coffee)
>normal hours (people often say they feel like they're on holidays when they get out of work)
>no taxes whatsoever

It's great if you can stomach the heat, the awful traffic, and the somewhat artificial life (natives are rarely seen, cars are needed for everything, it feels like a huge mall, expats live in their bubble, no local "cultural scene", etc.).

Search "British expats in Dubai" on YouTube if you want to get a feeling of what it's like. Personally I'd go for it.

What do you do for social life? Lots of ex pats on the social scene?

Yes, lots of expats. You'll probably want to stay in your circle of Western expats, anyway, with tons of events, clubs, bars, restaurants, concerts...

is 5000 UAE dinars good money?

i mean 15000 dirham, and by good money i mean livable with some savings

Buy a pocket Quaran and memorize a few prayers so you can recite them by heart.

It could save your life.

Rules of Dubai and working with Arabs:

1. Don't offend them. Saying something negative or that can be construed as negative about [enter category] is understood to be an insult in that part of the world. Mind your manners.

2. It usually takes at minimum six months or so of getting to now you before Arabs will be willing to do business with you. There is no such thing as haste.

3. Their culture is big on concealing information from one another. Secrets are important, and Arabs are good at lying.

4. The rule in Dubai is that everyone ignores your bullshit unless you get violent. Everyone from human traffickers to terrorists are welcome to do business there.

5. Don't bring women to the Middle East unless you plan to sell them you dumb faggot.

1, 2 and 3 are true... but you mustn't forget Arabs are a small minority in Dubai (albeit the dominant one). You can do perfectly good business in Dubai without Arabs getting involved in any way.

I'm not sure of what you mean by 4, and 5 is ludicrous.

What's the best way to get to Dubai? Should I get my CFA and become an investor or become a CPA and do financial planning shit for arabs?

This all great info. I'm setting my sights on Dubai once oil picks up again (geo)

>Dubai
>oil

>Not knowing that Dubai is the money laundering capital of the world because of its location along the world's largest gold smuggling route

ishiggydiggy

I didn't get the "everyone ignores your bullshit" part.

My grandpa went there in the 80's a built a shit ton of buildings. The workers only ate yogurt and he said the city will die by 2100 or so when the oil is gone.

Arabs have a policy of not interfering behind closed doors. They're just really strict in the public atmosphere.

Groups like the Taliban or Hamas have official offices in Dubai. Every tower has multiple brothels in it. Millions of arabs go there and do coke. But if you got caught with a illegal weapon, streetwalking or for possession you go to jail for a long time. Just don't do anything bad in public, and you're fine. It's 7th century law.

There is no oil in Dubai.

Alright, I obviously agree with all that.

They don't have oil but they have a bazillion oil companies

>no tax

>never heard of it pre 9/11
That's because it wasn't developed yet

I think oil companies are taxed in Dubai, as well as banks.

>no tax
Oil, gas, etc. companies in Dubai pay a 50% flat tax rate mate.

Thanks for confirming the existence of o&g companies in Dubai

Anyone here in the oil industry?