/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl Trunk Updates: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-20-april-2016

There is a new oook.cz comp.
Quickband: angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread: I'm lazy, newest wins:
cum

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/boards/581701-ancient-domains-of-mystery/29310882?page=28#284
archive.org/details/Alphaman-roguelike
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>cum
What?
Anyway
I suppose you're actually trying to get this deleted, so I'm gonna sage. Try to be less lazy. I'd do it myself but I'm on workbreak on my phone, so I can't help you there.

>I finally got a win in the OP

Now to win MuMo

Smart kobolds are smarter than me.

I wish I was a sexy little Kobold.

Memes, in my RLG?

yes

It's more likely than you think

I meant "come" as in come to the new thread but apparently I subconsciously misspelled it.

Reminder that there is a crazy, old, poster on gamefaqs classic roguelike foruns like NetHack and ADOM that has been bumping around threads for years.

>first on-topic post this thread
Did you know that there are more "erotic roguelikes" than Noxico? I'm glad there aren't more desu, they're awful.

The cute_fan guy, right?
gamefaqs.com/boards/581701-ancient-domains-of-mystery/29310882?page=28#284

Oh man go back a few pages it's actually kinda depressing
>*looks around* >.> Please come back everyone? ^.^;

>That thread has been around for 10 years

And a significant part of the posts are just spam from cute_fan with occasional visits from Mordecai the Mad

That'll be me in a few years if /rlg/ keeps going.
However I'll at least try to disguise my autism with arrogant shitposts.

If cute_fan and kawaiifan are the same person then they at least claim to be a woman

So orange!

>woman

Oh my god she's been doing that for the full ten years, the actual discussion pretty much stopped at page 4 and the majority of it was on page 1

Here's the post that started the madness
>I like the title of this topic -- let's keep it around, as a general help topic for the early game? ^.^;

You make it sound that just being a woman excused that kind of behavior.

No, the guy who first mentioned that said it was a man

>insane roguelikespinster with dozens of cats

At last I truly see.

I don't have a cap but I recently got a victory as Felid Monk of Qazlal. I always loved Qaz but holy fuck does it become useless late-game. I was pretty much carried by Dragon Form, pretty convenient that the skillsets that make an ideal fighting cat are pretty close to those of an ideal fighting dragon.

Now I want fanart of a dark-ish victorian style room with cute_fan looking all crazy and rambling in a chair in the middle and Mordecai the Mad walking in looking all devil-like.

>Your legs no longer exist!
>Between your legs rests....
ok

>cum
yes

what's the purpose of this image

Today I learned that temp mutations only go away after you gain exp and not after resting for some time
I also learned that pots of cure mutation doesn't work on them
fuck

That's a lot of cancer.
The lengths we go to for the elven rune.

That's a change in 1.7, same with effects that had similar duration properties such as temp stat loss. Always read your patch notes bro.

Can't start a thread without an image.

>Slouch in the Orcish Mines

Jesus that's always scary.
But at least now I can explore the dungeon without being scared of needing to quit because I've walked into yet another polytrap.

Time to do what I do every now and then, shill Alphaman.
It's one of my favorite roguelikes but not many people know about it, never really got the chance to talk about it with anyone. You're a post apocalyptic dude who's surrounded by nothing but mutants and you gotta fight those mutants. One of the most compelling parts of the game is the wide variety of tech devices you can get, these can be all sorts of crazy things from a Laser Rifle to a Box of Cap'n Crunch to a Kevorkian Machine (hint: do not use the Kevorkian Machine). Your character also gets a physical and mental mutation that pretty much defines your class, most characters will play about the same but there is some pretty exploitable stuff like speed boosts, invisibility, not having to sleep, etc., I would recommend rolling until you get Scientific Genius because it's the only way to craft items which lets you make many of those aforementioned tech devices of your choosing and have a lot of fun. Mutated berries act as your potions in the game, won't know what they do 'til you throw or facecheck 'em, you know the drill.
The game supports saving so there's some scumming possible, but there's also lasting effects that can fuck you over completely, including poison, and often unless you had something to blow it up with instead it's probably gonna happen anyway. You're also on a time limit up until the final boss is defeated, you get a little bit of flexibility for grinding but not much, and many enemies will scale to your level anyway.
It's also got Donald Trump, such a charm from an old game like this. He's got his own castle with plenty of security robots and all the items in it are branded Trump.
archive.org/details/Alphaman-roguelike
It runs in DOS so bear in mind your usual dosbox/virtual machine stuff if it's needed.

>that artifact

And a few turns later Pikel raped me by spamming a disintegration wand, quite beautiful really

But is it
>fun
?

>can't even clear lair

pick trbe, tab your way to victory

Yeah, sure. A lot of the items do neat shit so they're fun to experiment with. There's a lot of humorous 90s/80s references too if that's your thing.
It's a pretty dated game and doesn't do too much a regular roguelike doesn't besides what I described. If you can stand that, it's worth a try.

Why not? It's usually quite clearable on lv12+ for me, better if I got rPois, or a good ranged option because that completely shits on almost anything there. Anyway you can always go back later.

post your splats so the thread can make fun of you and/or give advice

get a wand of digging and make killholes

Did that stone seriously kill my dog?

>you have a sad feeling for a moment
Sorry for you.
My kitten went ahead and ate a chameleon corpse and now she's an arch-Lich that casts Touch of Death.

You don't check if a wand if cancellation ONCE and it's always cancellation.
Goddamn, I didn't even think about it.

ok

I just want to get to the mines at a appropiate level so I can WHOOP YOUR WAD IN THE COUNTER with my touchstone

Thankfully I haven't touched the BoH in the mines yet so I can go and retrieve that one.
But still, all my blessed potions of healing.

I'm about to play CDDA for the first time.
Advise me please, /rlg/.

Just wait for oatsanon

Don't listen to the people giving you a bullet point list of things to do/craft. Just go and die a bunch of times.

Plant oats. Build a truck. Forge a blade. REMOVE ZOMBO.

But really, my only advice to make things easier is to put 1 point into dodge/melee/piercing and craft a wood spear/knife spear ASAP. Use f to reach attack.

How unoptimal.
Please consider your priorities anew.

Thanks guys.

If I understand the character progression system correctly, then I'm better off spending my character creation points in stats and traits than skills, yes?

>optimal fun

Yes
Take night vision to make your life easier

Traits and stats give more longterm gains, but do keep in mind that your character's strengths are mostly determined by skill levels and what gear you have. It largely doesn't matter in the end. Pumping stats and traits only serves to make you go from god tier to elder god tier once you're established. Pump skills if you want to hit the ground running and carry the momentum, pump traits and stats if you want to grind your way to being functional. Obviously some traits are immediately good, but they tend to cost a good amount now.

>go downstairs
>other player ghost oneshots me
Never playing online again

I fucked up my sting trying out reforge, but alas, I finally found use for the crown of amber.
Then I found Ring of Ages too. Time resistance, fuck yes.

You are so slow user I feel bad for you

How good of a device skill does an Imp Ninja get?

Ok.

Trying my best to not die.

Aaand jinxed it.

no endgame

>go on drug forum
>search up darua seed dosage
>starting dose is 10
>take 5
>two minutes later this happens

how fucked am i /rlg/?

>starting dose is 10
>take 5
oh you silly goose
even a single seed will fuck you up

Fuck. see you on the other side boys

Just read tele.

I am already dead.

But seriously, I though'd I could get that one last pip and that I was at safe HP. Apparently not.
Oh well, I can go working on my projects now.

Sorry I'm late

How do I open a sealed crate in CDDA? Or use an object on something in the environment?

Use a crowbar to open it, or anything with prying 1 really. Or dismantle it with a hammer and screwdriver.

Since the archaeologist quest artifact gives MR, should I wish for SDSM?

Sounds logical.

I fucked up

No. You still want a source of MR. Probably from the cloak.

The artifact can be stolen by monsters.

Just read or cast Blink.

>You feel mildly hot

>Iron ball of liberation

You're pretty well along on this one, huh?

This is the third time I reach the valley of the dead with a char. Last time I reached the castle and all was good, until I got engulfed by a fire vortex that two-shot me. The time before I reached the valley, then I died to a bloody energy vortex. This time I grabbed a ring of RF and I wanna be extra careful.
Apparently convicts can sell in the black market as if they were in a regular shop, so I am planning on finding fort ludios, then grabbing enough money to buy a touchstone, to sell gems at one eyed sam's black market (because apparently convicts get regular princes there and you really can't get enough credit there).
The annoying thing about ludios is that apparently I can't find it right now. I'd probably have to read some scrolls of gold detection or something, but I have only a couple.

All you need to do is find the floors after it starts generating (12, I think) with a vault message. 2 should be enough.

Look for "You hear the footsteps of a guard on patrol." or something like that.

I tried going up and down the stairs, but I didn't get any messages. Probably because I'm too fast. I'll take my time now that I have this ring of sustenance.

I don't know if it's different in the version you're playing.

Apparently in vanilla nethack there's a small chance of the portal to fort ludios not appearing in a game.

Then either do a better job on putting an image relevant to the general or let someone else do it.

Shut the fuck up already

Think I really drew the short straw on that one then. But still, I can't really complain when I've got a pair of +5 gloves of power and dexterity.

Are you ok?

Hell

I was in a hallway and in the other end was a throne room. Since I couldn't do shit to the ghost and a single bugbear would kill me rather easily I ended doing this

I eventually got tired and just prayed to see if I could get healed. My reward was satiation. At that point I simply lost my patience and went to the throne room to attack the bugbear, then polymorphed it when he almost kills me.

Either it turned into a newt and there was an air elemental there or it polymorphed into an air elemental and the newt took its place on the same turn. Result was my dumbest *hack splat in recent history

I'm simply tired of that sort of pedantry

The thread usually does a good job of keeping itself on-topic with no need for some idiot to be constantly reminding everyone what's roguelike related or not. It's even worse when someone decides to put his mod hat on and starts a shitstorm by declaring a game he doesn't like not a roguelike and therefore off-topic

I don't know if people here realize it, but nagging someone over something as petty as the OP image, especially when it's thread OC, the post is made hours after the thread has been created with no one else having an issue, and even MORE so when said in a condescending tone is fucking obnoxious.

I started reading but then I understood you're just an idiot

Look, I get you need to stroke your ego by pretending you have authority on a chinese cartoon imageboard, but have the decency to wait until someone other than you gives a shit about the "issue" at hand

Please stop taking the bait, friendo. Some of us think shitposting to keep the thread alive is better than playing a roguelike and posting about it. Why they think that, I'll never know. But don't buy into it. Just keep on doing what you're doing.

Well actions usually have consequences. If people post stupid shit then they get stupid reactions. Maybe next time Mr.OP will post a proper image specially if there was a noteworthy ascension on the previous thread.

So im using wizard mode to test some things, and is there a way to mark uniques as not dead? I keep reloading hell by geryon never appears

You can just say "You should have used one of the ascensions in the last thread" instead of something like "Then either do a better job on putting an image relevant to the general or let someone else do it.". People aren't going to die because he used a picture of a dancing wolfgirl instead of a win, there's no need to be that coarse and condescending

kek, even deathswords have it better than that

If people want the OP done right they should do it themselves, instead of being lazier than the guy who couldn't crop some wins together.
Judging from the lack of a link-back in the last thread, it seems like OP made the thread at the last second. So having a thread at all instead of multiple is good enough.

>until I got engulfed by a fire vortex that two-shot me
Did you know that Fire/Energy Vortexes deal most of their damage through passive attacks?
That is, if you have !healing or !extrahealing or even !fullhealing, you can spend a turn quaffing and will actually recover a good chunk of HP. In fact, zapping wands and shooting spells will prevent you from taking a lot of damage from those two vortices too, given that they're not melee. Only the Air Elemental is too dangerous to spend turns not killing it once you've been engulfed.