/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Alpha release):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

1st for chillin'

Are there any raw material ID's for divine metals in the game? I want a new one since i managed to lose my two hander in hell.

And now we have beaver rampages every full moon.

Who the fuck thought that having the same OP pic three times in a row was a good idea?

Thank Armok that this one won.

Sorry, I just didn't think you guys would like the change...

>fear the night
>night still isn't a thing in fort mode

Just go back to the vault where you got it? The angels respawn, and they have the same three predetermined weapons every time.

I've had the sword for like an in-game year and getting to that vault with a blazing sword would take swimming across the ocean again. Do these things even have material ID's?

You should grab several swords next time. They weigh next to nothing, so you should carry at least a dozen at the same time.

nevermind, found it myself in dfhack. In case anyone ever needs this info, the metal types are DIVINE_(number)

>Deity is of relevance to freedom
>the temple name is Sanctuary of Emancipation
dude the game might literally know what the god is of beforehand, or it's just divine coincidence and it draws from a relatively small amount of spheres

here's the temples I designed next for said deities how are they?

Who is Armok?

Big Armok is 4U or You

God of blood in dorf fortress senpai.

Is there a god of eggs?

Fertilized?

Yes

So I'm getting crashes playing on the newest version on adventure mode. It happens sometimes when I go to my map screen and sometimes when I'm strolling around town, anybody else having this crap?

Text Will Be Text causes it, sadly.

It relates to the god's spheres.
Like if you have a god of disease it can be called like "The Chapel of Pus" or something.

Ahh alright, thank you.

Anyone else got art of events or persons in DF like this?

Well, technically the town one could be from a sealed library, but yeah, twbt crashes when the map scale changes several times rapidly. I got it pretty consistently when I'd go from the near-site travel map to the world travel map. That's why I started messing around with my larger tilesets and whatnot, hitting upon the fact that nonsquare sets don't shrink down as far as inferior ones do (24x36 vs 24x24) and so forth.

You can also use gui/create-item to make them.

You could artifake one up but until I figure out how to fix the names and such I haven't bumped it all the way to readiness.

>woman with beard

NANI!??!

>implying female dorfs can reproduce without beards
>implying the dorf courtship ritual doesn't involve the male approaching after signaling his fitness
>the female coyly entangling her beard with his
>a small piece of his beard, a beardlet if if you will, is left behind to gestate
>the beardlet accumulates booze as the mother drinks, crumbs as she eats, and dust as she engraves
>over time it uses the accumulated material to construct a little dorflet
>when the dorflet is large enough the beardlet transfers itself to the face and begins to connect to the new host
>unfortunately this process means it can no longer maintain a grip on the motherbeard, causing the infant to fall to the ground
>thus the Urist McMomma cancels task: Seeking infant.

hey /dfg/, are there any other games that are considered on the level of df? not necessarily rougelikes.

I'm just getting into this game and I was wondering something.

Are you an actual part of this game, or are you essentially just a voice in the sky to your fortress?

The latter, unless you're playing adventure mode

In what way? There's plenty of autism games with similar depth of detail, there's gobloads of citybuilders, there's few or no games that do the same sort of worldbuilding.

Rimworld?

The procedurally generated craziness that takes place in df doesn't really have an equal. At best you get stuff like that keeperrl game that's trying to resemble df in the current state to some extent, and failing to offer as much as a game that's only 42% done.

>After finishing the resource-based work order conditions, I allowed work orders to be automatically restarted with different frequencies (always/monthly/seasonal/yearly), respecting any conditions. I'm currently working on allowing work orders to trigger other work orders upon activation or completion. I think that'll be it for conditions for this release. Then all we have left are work order job detail settings as well as some bugs to fix.

just something a pretentious turbo autist would ramble on about

>love adventure mode combat
>eventually get bored due to nothing specific to do and no peer interactions like DnD would have
>tfw no time for DnD group

>tfw no games that let you:
>freely attack neutral/friendly units
>delimb enemies
>lock and break joints with wrestling
>beat enemies to death with their own severed limbs
>chuck a weapon across the room to stab a bitch
>weapons getting stuck in their targets and shit
>strangle a bitch
>become a necromancer
>murder and raise an entire town from the dead
>get fucked up and lose a leg
>doesn't grow back, have to deal with that shit
>play the rest of the game with a crutch
The only thing to come close that I know of is DnD and other tabletop/pen and paper games and it's sad.

>needing peers

it's not really a requirement, but after a while it gets kinda lonely and boring.

A new thread without my carefully crafted bear combat stamp on it.

** Loading Adventurer **
It is the 15th of Granite, 100.
You hack at The Black Bear in the upper body with your Steel short sword!
It is broken!
The Black Bear's heart has been pierced!
The Black Bear's upper spine has been badly cut!
The Steel short sword has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Black Bear charges at You!
The Black Bear bites You in the right foot!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear collides with You!
You are knocked over!
The Black Bear bites You in the right lower arm!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear bites You in the lower body!
The shot glances away.
The Black Bear bites You in the upper body!
It is torn!
The Black Bear latches on firmly!
You are no longer stunned.
You stand up.

I think my problem is that I was the superautist who knew the books and ended up being the GM. Though that was Palladium and I hadn't yet discovered how much better Mutants and Masterminds is.

Still, I like not having to play the world for a change.

>superautist who knew the books and ended up being the GM
yeah, I think I'm more suited to being a party member rather than the GM. I would much rather push the boundaries than write them. If I was a GM I would end up throwing a crazy amount of shit so the party would wipe on the first night barring some really good rolls/perfect strategy.
>in my first DnD group I kept missing with my dagger while fighting skeletons
>put dagger away and ripped the leg off the bitch
>beat it and the others to death with the leg
Can't wait till I have a more stable schedule and I can get in a group.

I got an adventurer mode dwarf with two companions and I am trying to lay them off without getting them killed.
One is the grandchild of the oldest surviving couple of dwarves, the other has had a child captured by a goblin fortress and I weakly intend to play out rescuing that captive. Some day.

I've tried retiring but they are still stuck on me, I noticed one with a broken leg stayed in a cave so if I had a reliable way to go to some cave and have them break legs and come back 53 years later I might.

I am about to build a fortress, abandon it, reactivate the adventurer and have 'em show up, then reclaim the fortress and get some stuff done such as having the NPC macedwarf pick a mace up again.

Incursion

Post dwarf items that netted you a decent profit!

>a billion green glass and steel serrated discs

>Incursion
hm, seems interesting

This game seems good fun but I think Im too stupid to play it.
Is there a less confusing version of it?

Just dive right in with the wiki on alt-tab. All the "less confusing" versions manage to leave out the fun.

>go to wiki
>follow the quickstart guides
>trial and error from there

Screwing up is part of the fun, after all.

i have some minor beef with Retiring fortresses, which I'm sure currently are due to a myriad of bugs in the woodwork undocumented so far

but besides seeing Artifacts you made with love and care disappear and seeing poor capable weaponmaster dwarves fall to creatures whose fighting power is questionable (troglodytes or VCC's) It's the quality and material change of weapons and clothing that grabs my goat, respectively. very tempted to change the quality with dfhack to its respective normal state

Did you read my bear melee post?

Ive tried but I get to a point where I wont understand a single thing of what I am doing :(

Wich one user, link it

eh, at least I got a carpenter out of this

This first ever artifact of the second fortress could be foresight into the future of the return of the King Lolor, he loves Animal traps

here's the pic I forgot

Check the quality of those, they might actually be 6 (Artifact) quality.

Well damn.

>please help save us from this vampire
>though it pains me to to ask this of you, for she is my wife!

>30 fucking guests
So I have to feed all these assholes?

fraid not, it's not even artifact quality 6 its 0, and this axe I can recall was exceptional, the ones that would be artifact quality were the named ones left behind in SpecialVaults, and if military screen works the way it is, the weapon would most likely have stuck to the uniform the dwarf migrant used in former fort, with the exception of weapons under "individual weapon preference"

and what question had you axe'd of those you met in your journey? I recall opting for swords for my recent ones, very inefficient at axing and inquiring of the denizens I find out

The axe was a metaphor for a real axe which split the poor fuckers chest open.

I know I've had adventurers I retired at a fort wind up with artifact quality stuff that had been masterwork previously.

ofc I'm just taking a 'stab' at banter and to convince you I'm in on the joke too
which kinda failed like wedding two adventurers together, and hey! I do also recall one of the silver long swords have also increased from 0 to q 2 as well for the coyote hunter sorta like yours, maybe skill is a factor to what quality weapon is expected of the 'semi-world-generated' character if that is even a thing. Take for example the various hammerlords with pretty nice masterwork to superior weapons

I kinda inferred both of them wouldn't be an item anyway since the 'gaydar' determined them to be "indeterminate in sex (might be adventurers)"

poor dogs, they serve even after the death as the bones for her crossbow

what the hell, man
One year I'm away and my meticulous battle tactics gone the former fort goes to shit, man, and I lost my resident adventurer who I parked in there for the sole reason that the 50 weaponmaster - 200 scrubtier goblins odds could protect her, sadly I think Its self explanatory how the world activation handles battles, less of a skirmish and more mano- e-mano, calculated battles between two figures at a time
I don't think I'm down for this That's it I think I'm going to reload and fight against the inevitable, and stick with my fort

Yeah, adventurers don't have any preferences sexually or romantically.

heh, and apparently here in this post I found out that the adventurer
Curo got kil
welp that's what backups are definitely for, this unavoidable calculating and indifferent world mechanism

Hey the brightside for your vampire hunt was it wasn't for a hearthperson that would request of you to go on a wild goose chase to find said vampire, who managed to elude me with 4 - 8 year gaps in rumors spread around of her/his last residence, and then finding out to my genuine chagrin he resided in my very fort, then having to slog through FPS death to actually find him/her.

>Then all we have left are work order job detail settings as well as some bugs to fix.
Some time in month of May release confirmed
ALERT THE INTERNET

Five pages of this and I wondered why they died

what do with these magnificent beings? Can't give them jobs, assign their beds to them, assign to a military squad to perhaps off themselves in a demon echochamber. I'm all ears

Gotta use the storytelling to track them down.

Internet is alerted!

I'm holding out hope that maybe it'll be out with the FotF reply.

Exterminate them.

What would Jackson do?

nice hehehe

in retrospect now that I think of it, that experience that was the vampire hunt was something that was a genuine experience, a historical figure that eludes capture going place to place and needing something like trusting rumors to track him down, this is the stuff of legends (mode) literally
the culmination of everything that Toady one has worked on enables organic events like this to happen, and its still continuing I am sure

That's why it kills me that world-gen can take so long on bigger worlds. Shit like being told to go enact a rather brutal divorce on a vampire by the lord I serve, or the one dragon (intelligent/god impersonating modded) I had that took over a criminal gang and racked up like 10k kills so I mention killing it and I'm instantly a legendary hero and protector of the weak.

Hell just now the goblin bandits who were harrassing the hamlet with the vampire wife and dragon deity had elf language names. How did that happen?

Check the OP

More like voice in the head, iirc the retirement message in legend mode sounds like "In year XXX dorfs of FortName came back to their senses."
There are a lot of poor man ripoffs out there with nice graphics and tutorials but they really lack in FUN, depth of detailing, number of features and so on.

I remember when i was learning how to play. Fuark it was a huge learning curve. It's worth it in the end.

I think these 'zones' are responsible for why my glass furniture deconstructed and my beds disappeared, everysingle one like the Dwemer did with the Dunmer-turned tampering with the Heart of Lorkhan

That and a mixture of a few other bugs Im sure as accomplices

did you fight that bear for 5 years?

Is this a reclaim? Last time I used reclaim it was messed up what happened in like 2 weeks.

>I just looked at the dates
Nigger how did that span of text last 5 god damn days

It's different uses of the time/date/weather/sunlight checking. The game doesn't give a notification on day change unless you check for it.

It is thus the zones being procedurally placed in the rooms and practically everywhere which lead to those merchants attracted to them and getting inside them, even if they previously had beds attached to the room. Man this is some messed up af cant begin to define a statement for this

Yeah, zones and beds deconstructing is annoying as shit but eh.

>inferior
Thems fightin words

>tfw someone reposts your tileset in HD
I miss my vaporfort.

I have so many nice memories from that world, you know.

I remember setting off as a beast hunter, then deciding to climb the highest mountain in the world. When I got there, I got attacked by several squads of goblins from a nearby fortress, which I then proceeded to fight on the peak of the mountain. One of the soldiers turned out to be an elf who carried a book. After winning the grand battle, I remember reading the book(about some shitty site) while sitting on the top of the mountain. I then retired the adventurer in a gobbo site before founding my vaporfort in a shrine(I had already killed the titan there with my adventurer).

Eventually, I got sieged by gobbos, of course. What I didn't expect was that their second siege was to be led by my old adventer, who still had all the scars I got in adv mode, and moreover, still had the book I got from the elf on the mountain. It was a tough battle, and several of my militiadorfs died. The book I got from my old adventurer was a nice reward, however.

>climb the highest mountain in the world.
That's what I usually do as adventurer.
It's a shame there aren't any mountains that are challenging for climbers yet.

There are many ways in which this can be improved:

>moving up slopes should be exhausting
>if you fall to the ground while on a slope tile(after becoming over-exhausted, for example), the game should check if any of the surrounding tiles are on a lower z-level, and if they are, you should tumble down, causing progressively increasing falling damage the longer you tumble(unless you manage to hold onto the walls)
>a higher climbing skill should make moving up slopes easier, and moving up slopes should train your climbing skill

That's what I can think of at the moment.

How about the mountain ranges in Syria?

That joke doesn't even remotely work. Even more so because the mountain ranges in Latakia are mostly under Government control again.

jesus fuck, i hate this shitty bug-ridden game so fucking much. i turn off burrow for 3 fucking minutes to collect goblinite and this fucking happens. and not a dabbling furnace operator. not a novice fisherdwarf. A LEGENDARY FUCKING ARMOURER. THE ONLY ONE I HAD.

i'm so done

I'm not sure what happened. Would you mind explaining in more detail?

I'm also not sure about what you meant by deactivateing the burrows for "three minutes". Do you always use the burrows? Or did you turn them off in the middle of a siege?

Also, it's not that much of a deal. A new decent armorer can be trained in a few months.

Why the fuck your legendary armoursmith have any hauling enabled? You just called it yourself

>i hate this shitty bug-ridden game so fucking much
I see no bugs in what you have described.
> i turn off burrow for 3 fucking minutes
Do you always burrow? Why?

>anyone but useless peasants doing the hauling
Let this be a lesson to you.

Yup, I went ahead and gave it the cleaned-corners treatment a couple threads back since it's got a nice... well... aesthetic.

Truth hurts. :D

It's fun when you find a really sheer section to scale, though it's scary when you just start going up without checking to see what your climbing skill is until you're 20+ z above the ground.

This is the root of the elfhate, yanno.

Trees can't be trusted.

nvm, resurrected tosid with dfhack. this fucking shit almost get me tilted.

for some fucking reason dwarves climb into trees and then die of dehydration because they forget how to use gravity. and thanks to the new shitty "missing" system you don't know that your dorf is in the tree before spring overwrites your saves. it's a known bug and i lost dozens of dwarves to it. yes, even with stepladders. yes, i always use burrows so that dorfs don't
a. ignore my well, go to drink from pond, get spooked by a frog and drown
b. legendary mason go to chill out(throw up rather) in the sun, trigger a goblin rapesquad instead
c. to prevent EXACTLY THIS FUCKING SHIT.
>A new decent armorer can be trained in a few months.
you can't train +5 legendary and i have only so much waffles.
how the fuck is hauling related to this? there is nothing in the trees or above ground for him to haul.

guys, there was no hauling involved, you fucking retards.
nah, elfhate stemmed from when you couldn't chop down 10 logs without these pansies complaining.

>to collect goblinite
>no hauling involved

>There is nothing to haul
How about some goblinite on that ant woman?

You could have just restricted your legendary dorfs to burrows mate. No need to be a cunt before clarifying.