Monster Hunter General - /mhg/

Do not fraternize with the monsters edition

>Monster Hunter Generations
A Western adaptation of Monster Hunter X has been announced for release this summer.
capcom-unity.com/dubindoh/blog/2016/03/03/monster-hunter-generations-coming-to-nintendo-3ds-in-summer-2016

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

kiranico.com/en/mh4u
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243 / Search
In 4U, Target: Fishing (it's 4 to the left)
In X, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)

tinyurl.com
/weeaboos

Tags: MHX, MH4U, MH3U, MHO, MHFU, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

1ST FOR YAMA

Some new screens

'k, Azure actually looks pretty gud

Just started out and I tried all weapons so far
it's me or lance gunlance and insect lance are difficult as fuck? I tried to do a kut ku with the lance and got destroyed

help

>insect lance

acquire buff(s), X+X+A, repeat

Lance without guard is pain.

>insect lance

Guard lancing is just one style, thanks to Evasion. Also it's down to the monster.

Yeah, I mean without Guard+1/+2 or Evade. At low ranks with shit gear and shit weapons lancing means playing like a GS user but with much less damage everytime you unsheat. You cannot guard anything and if you try to monsters will keep pressure and kill you once you run out of stamina.

>introducing rath variants
it's over, MHO is dead.

2nd time around, triple carted again, but I got him pretty close, at least below the 30% mark.

I'm pretty sure I can do it. Am I gud yet?

Threadly reminder to believe in your dreams

>EXACTLY RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN
Did you do it on purpose?

W-what?

DO fraternize with the monsters.

>join random 140 jang GQ room
>it's a "both jangs enter the same area within 5 minutes" room

Why is it ok for these to exist

>letting a new thread die

dead game
dead thread

>what are dung bombs

>tfw dung bombs do not work on apex jang

No kink is too nasty for the great rape ape.
They're immune to the repelling effects of dung bombs.

So is Aerial Style the absolute best Hunting Style for the Hammer or what

It's not the absolute best style for anything, but it's definitely solid.

It's probably either Bushido or Guild

It's my favorite solely for the fact that it gets rid of the Super Slam and replaces it with a stronger uppercut.

Is Hammer still good in 4U? I heard it's completely outclassed by Charge Axe.

Also, what weapons if I want to use status and elements? SnS? Dual Blades? Are elemental Charge Axes that bad?

Element Phial Charge Blades destroy anything with a significant elemental weakness, but are pretty niche since heads have a tendency to be squishy, making Impact better for general use.

Playing P3rd for the first time. Should I use the auto-guard gunlance?

>I heard it's completely outclassed by Charge Axe
It is but they still play pretty differently and hammer is still extremely solid and is pretty well-polished in terms of how you use it.

>Also, what weapons if I want to use status and elements?
Most (not all) weapons do pretty well with status and elemental. Oddly, SnS isn't one of them. It hits really fast but it gets bad values for elemental in particular. You might want to go elemental or blast anyway to avoid using the top raw SnS because it's really ugly, at least until you get a decent relic (which can have elemental/status AND higher raw than any craftable). If you do use status SnS I recommend complementing it with trapmaster, playing to the strengths of the weapon to overcome its weaknesses.

DB is great for both element and status, though the actual options for status tend to be lackluster. You can get status relic DBs that outclass the craftable ones really easily though.

Elemental CB is actually really strong, the guide in the OP is biased and impact is mostly used in 140 TAs because elemental doesn't affect apex monsters while they're in apex mode without sacrificing some damage somewhere else. The elemental output of their burst is absurdly high.

Hammer actually does pretty well with elemental and status, LBG works extremely well for both (especially dragon as far as element goes), lance is definitely an elemental/status weapon and GS would appear at first glance to suck for both because of its low hitrate but the charge attack multiplies the amount of element/status applied so it's actually fairly strong. LS is also fairly good for attribute-based attacks because of its high hitrate.

IG has a fantastic hitrate AND high values for attributes in addition to being the best at everything but KOs.

What ranks are considered high rank in MH4

Trying to get some rare ore.

you should be doing enough caravan to unlock hr before online

In singleplayer, 7+. In multiplayer, 4-7.

Thanks

Can I get away with not using HG earplugs on Tigrex (and Tigrex GQs) for GS? It feels like even if I wait till the end of the roars to triple charge I still get one GOTCHA BITCH to his face and stagger him anyways.

Tiggy's roars are the type that can hurt you, that was his gimmick back then, it discouraged GSs from sniping a lv.3 charge and made everyone approach it differently. I still use HGE on many of my sets (even if they don't call for it) but it's a nice 15-point skill to have.

>that hunt was months ago
I miss you guys but I've played enough MH4U to the point where there is nothing to do anymore.

dunno im doing the same but using the cheese axe cos i havnt used it yet and this was its initial game

See you this summer then.

You wouldn't adopt a monster and raise it with loving care.

>has all weapons fully upgraded
>has clown sets for each monster that needs certen skills
>got all the armor sets that you think looks dood
>hr999
>100% all achievements
>got gud arena times
Done all that?

I think i will try online in MH4U after i get my velociraptor set and polish a weapon relic i got, i just have a question: How do i find "low level" parties? What should i look at in lobbies?
I saw people with hr4 to hr100 or something, no idea how that translates to level of monsters they hunt. Will i be able to play with people if i still can only do low-rank guild quests or i have to grind them all untill high-rank lady will talk to me?

>Guy at uni goes on about souls so i go on about MonHun
>I'v played daemon and dark souls 1 and completed a few MonHun games, and he just plays souls
>He keeps saying insisting monhun is easy as shit and that DaS3 is way harder
>I suggest that he plays, so i load up MHp3rd, gave him a switch axe and put him on the 4star rathian
>I was pretty sure he could beat it cos its easy and switch axe is op
>He gest one hit in carts
>Goes back gets two hits carts
>"T-this game isnt good anyways"

You go back in time and get the game when it was relatively new.

Give him the same time you spent on MH.

well in 2-3 months mh4u will be dead and i doubt i will buy MHG(or whatever it's called), so might as well try now.

Funny you should mention that. People come back from X to play 4U all the time.

well listening to people about monster hunters is weird.

Some say 3u was pinnacle of art.
Some say 4u is the best
Some say that generations will save the series.
Some say that mho is the best.

All of the agree that other games they don't like is the worst games in the series.

I think all are great.
Just some are far less enjoyable to go back to for reasons.

Like right stick attacking in MH1.

p3rd > 3u > mho > the rest desu

>Some say that generations will save the series.

No one says that dude. No one. It's just an okay in between game with some glaring flaws.

>Some say that mho is the best.

Graphic whores and PC-only tards will say anything.

4u>p3rd>FU
^
generations maybe?

why do people play tri/3u when p3rd is available with the HD graphics on pc?

>7 hours later
Yes, Dala can be easily solo'd. Trip him down with jumps attacks when in last phase.

Yeah, I think I've got the fight down, I just keep getting waylaid by bullshit.

>climbing to the top hand
>meteor sends me all the way to the gully at the bottom
>meteor charging where i landed
>hits as the get up animation finishes
>dalamadur bites or something
>kittycat express tosses me by the bed like unwanted laundry

All in all I like the fight, I just hate those moments (as with any fight in MH games) when you get completely fucked by happenstance.

Yes meteors are bullshit. Really the only dangerous move.
Also when he goes for bites or laserd, if you stand next to the climbing point, 3 out of 4 times you can smash his face afterwards. There are many dumb tricks to trip him with jumps, but you should be fine anyway.

>tfw killing youself on red Fatalis toes

>tfw killing yourself on boring job

>clown sets for each monster that needs certain skills

>not running one master set good for anything the hall could drop you into

>being ill prepared so you get at least mins added on your time
Here its where you belong

what would you be tweaking per fight? hearing, tremor, snow, poison, etc?

you could try the double-g instead

>glaring flaws
like what?

im playing CB atm so ill use that as an eg.
>sliver rath
constantly barrages me with shit so i prefer to use shit that will kick my blade sharp and my stamina high
>rajag
runs around so much and has a different way of positioning so i dont guard point as much so ill go for a AuL and other damage output additions

just little shit like that added with the stuff you said helps cut down time man

>weapons with more than one style
honestly didn't think about that

solely for the sake of asking- what would you do if someone posted a rath + rajang quest?

damn those narga hitboxes are TIGHT

id go for rajag set up since it wont be a gold or silver rath and there the only ones that rely pressure me.
i havnt played all the weapons yet but i think its safe to say that most of the weapons have different ways you have to play them for certen monsters or your going to have a bad time

I can only speak for hh, but one armor skill setup is all you need for horns (unless maybe you run elemental?)

in fu it was one set and one horn because fuck if I'm playing anything other than aul in that game. in 3u, it was one set and switched between two or three horns for different songs. in 4u it's back to just one set and one horn again. there's a lot of good horns in this game, so I could see someone switching around, but I doubt they change their armor any more than whether or not they need sharpness+1

>what would you do if someone posted a rath + rajang quest
Close 3DS.

>GS
>critdraw
that's literally it.

D U N G M A S T E R

>designing a 100% crit set
>can only reach 80% crit without challenger +2

why

+20% affinity hh song

That's why you should use Crit Eye instead.

pretty sure that is with CE

Challenger+2 is NOT Critical Eye

youre right. is not using challenger+2. so they're probably using CE

do not have sapient beings as pets

>the irony

140 fights
which are your favorite?
which do you hate seeing on the board?

Favorite: Brachy, Garuga, Rajang, Gore Magala, Shagaru
Shittiest: Diablos, Teostra

original OP here, should have cleared up any confusion; I'll be using critical master with the final fantasy longsword to get an 80% affinity rate- as I was lamenting, I would need challenger +2 to get a full 100% crit rating

Gore, Dios, Plum, Brute, Jho, Seregios, Cham, Zin, Velo, Kut-Ku, BYKK
Anything else

I assumed GS & Critdraw, nevermind then.

is there a monster as bullshit as silver rathalos? fucking constant wind pressure, aoe fireshit, and everything homes in like a fuck.

i'd rather get double teamed by jho and jang

For some reason I have more trouble with Goldian.

raths really don't fuck around anymore. they were pushovers until 4th gen

has anyone else made specific sets for certain monsters? for example, here's my teostra set
>honed blade
>razor sharp
>bio student
>heat cancel
>latent power +2

>heat cancel
>latent power +2
WHY

goldian gives me shit too, but i can easily evade through most attacks. silver's fire aoe lasts too long and he constantly has his dick hovering in your face.

>has anyone else made specific sets for certain monsters
Literally everyone..? That's the basis of the game.