/parag/ - Paragon General

epicgames.com/paragon/

>What is Paragon?
Paragon is a new MOBA developed by Epic Games, owner of the Unreal Engine. Powered by UE4, it has most of the trappings of other MOBAs: 5v5 objective-based games, heroes, lanes, towers, minons and so on. The game has a fantasy sci-fi feel to it. The game is available on PC and PS4, featuring cross-play and cross-progression. It is currently in early access/closed alpha.

>What's special about Paragon?
Similar to SMITE, Paragon uses a third-person behind-the-back camera and WASD controls instead of a top-down view. Unlike SMITE, this game takes full advantage of the Z-axis: you can aim up or down and there's multiple levels of elevation. In addition, Paragon uses a card system, which is, for all intents and purposes, a player-customized item shop for individual characters that you build before the game; cards can only be earned with in-game currency, meaning you can't buy power.

>Do you unlock heroes?
No. Like DOTA 2, all heroes are free to everyone. What you can purchase with in-game currency is a character's Master Challenge, which essentially lets you unlock extra skins, taunts and boosters.

>How can I play the game?
There is a free access weekend going on right now that you can join. Otherwise, you can purchase a founder's pack for at least $20 to buy into the early access or wait until this summer for the game to enter open beta. People can also give away access keys if you're lucky.

I really like it. It's fast paced and the deck building is awesome

Wish the shooter aspect was more prominent. For example is fucking retarded that as twin blast my projectiles does nothing cause i'm not in range even when i clearly see them colliding with the enemy. Feels like smite with pretty graphic to me

Some people are really adverse to turning the game into a full-blown shooter, saying they don't want it to become another Unreal Tournament. Epic Games themselves are very particular about that point, too: they are very insistent that the game be called a MOBA, not a shooter.

As for TwinBlast's projectiles, they end in an explosion at the end of their flight, which makes it look like they connect on something. The game tells you you're in range when your crosshair turns red; there's also very audible hitmarkers when you connect with anything.

nobody asked or expected a full arena shooter but something in the middle. This is just a moba with a changed perspective and it's kinda disappointing. They could have done so much more

For what it's worth, the game used to feel a lot slower than it does right now.

Who is your character(s)?

I play mainly Muriel, her skill set is a game changer

Yeah, Muriel is more or less the best support in the game right now. Between her global presence and shields for days, her job is to keep her team alive, mostly with shittons of shields. A lot of players are mad that she does her one job very well.

That's true. With Circle of Health, her shield hp reg+ a pot of the shielded hero, you can easily push hp reg to 50+/s

For comparison, the only other (caster) support is Dekker, and she's more of an offensive support, using ranged stuns, slows, and even a cage for her ultimate.

Then there's Steel, but he's a tank.

Kallari is shit.

What is this deck builder aspect? Haven't later the game.
Is there a potential for them to sell pay to win cards or anything like that?

There are five different alignments that characters have: Growth (green), Order (white), Knowledge (blue), Fury (red), and Corruption (black). All characters are one or two of these alignments (e.g. Muriel is Order/Growth [white/green]). By extension, this gives you access to what cards are available to your character, apart from any universal cards.

The only way to potentially gain new cards are to open five-card packs, which are only earned via account/character milestones or by buying them with Reputation, the in-game currency. You are unable to buy packs with coins (cash currency). There are plans for a card crafting system in the near future, but you can't purchase singles. Cards are only as good as the stats on them, so it's a question of what stats you want for your character.

So is this free access weekend this weekend or was that just a copy and paste?

It actually is this weekend. For those preexisting players with founder's packs, it's also a double XP weekend.

The only thing you can really buy with coins right now is boosters.

can a i5 6660k and a 970gtx handle this with everything maxed?

My build is about the same, and you can max pretty much everything. Keep in mind that the game is in alpha and runs on Unreal 4, so there will likely be more optimizations down the road. If anyone knows how to exploit Unreal, it's the people who own the engine.

>and you can max pretty much everything.
but not everything.

welp it was nice, what a shame.

have fun guys! if i can't play 60fps everything max i can't play.

It's in alpha. It's bound to be optimized.

Rampage has no business being able to dive towers by himself and get away with it.

goddam paragon is really slow and boring,.
holy shit

Are you using travel mode to get around?

What's slow about it?

Late-game Murdock is a fucking bogeyman right now. OP as HECK. Epic, please patch.
>show me on the doll where Murdock touched you

Murdock actually got a balance pass earlier this week so he's not literally two-shotting people at end game. But yeah, all three rangers - Murdock, TwinBlast and Sparrow - are absolutely scary when fed, as carries should be.

I just want to play Kallari like I did in the alpha awhile ago, but having to level up to play pvp and then level to play her really puts me off of playing it.

I think depending on how you reply to the question of how experienced you are with MOBAs determines how many hoops you go through to unlock PVP, if at all. That said, you still have to level up your account a few times to unlock all the character difficulties, i.e. unlock Kallari last, because they want to make sure you know what you're doing before you play her; Kallari is, by their reckoning, the hardest hero to use in the game right now and it doesn't help that she's shit.

So who is everyone playing? There was mention of TwinBlast and Muriel earlier in the thread.

To elaborate, you can build up to 40 cards in your deck; this includes consumeables, the equipment itself, and your upgrades. Every equipment item is functionally complete, and it has three slots you can fit with upgrades; you can only use upgrade cards that match the stats on the card itself. So if you have an equipment card that grants physical damage and health (like Adamant Edge does here), you can only slot either physical damage upgrades or health upgrades. Most equipment cards have a completion bonus, giving you bonus stats when you fully upgrade an item (in Adamant Edge's case, bonus physical damage). Every deck also has one Prime Helix card, which is basically your big powerup when you complete the jungle boss objective and trigger the buff.

>uses a card system, which is, for all intents and purposes, a player-customized item shop for individual characters that you build before the game; cards can only be earned with in-game currency, meaning you can't buy power.

BUT BUT THEN THEY'LL JUST RELEASE HEROES THAT ARE OP AND YOU BUY THEM INSTEAD. POWER UNTIL THEY MAKE ~$100,000 THEN NERFED!

>Like DOTA 2, all heroes are free to everyone. What you can purchase with in-game currency is a character's Master Challenge, which essentially lets you unlock extra skins, taunts and boosters

Huh.

Either this game will die, or it'll be under the radar. Things too good to last, usually don't. RIP DAWNGATE - THE PERFECT MOBA

So yeah, how's the Loser Contingency Plan / Surrender functionality. People like me who lose every PvP instance ever have got to know.

You can start surrender votes at the 15' mark, and it requires a 4/5 vote. This latest patch also introduced the first incarnation of the report system, if you're so inclined.

SMITE became the #3 MOBA behind DOTA and LoL because it found a niche no one had successfully filled yet. Now Paragon is slated to directly challenge SMITE for that position. It could work out.

Possible, Paragon is in comparison of Smite a real 3D moba. You can jump, use height advantages and jump ledges to get deep into the jungle

everything?
that should just be the default movement speed