Questions about Craigslist

So I just sold my computer desk and a chair for a total of $800 USD on Craigslist and the guy is mailing me a "certified check" and the moving arrangements for the desk will be made after the check clears the bank. This is the first time I have ever done this so I was wanting to get some advice on if this is legit or if I am going to lose my desk and chair? Does anyone have any stories to compare so I can get an understanding of how this works?

>pic related its the desk I sold.

sounds weak . i bought a car off craigslist for 6k cash.
i would never trust someone wanting to pay in anything other then cash

No user, don't do that. CASH CASH CASH CASH CASH. You don't ever sell on Craigslist without cash. People jew me on eBay with echecks, bank checks and shit through PayPal and then chargeback, I would think it would be a scam.

Well the check is going to clear with the bank first, I'm just wondering if it's possible for them to cancel it once they have the desk and chair? Is cash really the only trust worthy way?

common scam. CHECK WILL BOUNCE!

Is this really a thing? I've never done this before and it seemed a little to good to be true.

Dang, thanks for the info then. I just sent the guy a text asking for cash on pick up instead of the check, I'm waiting on the reply from him now. Thanks for looking out.

Yes user, I deal with Craigslist to sell off inventory that I can't sell on eBay and to buy things on there. Cash is the only safe currency, they can't take that away from you once they have your item.

Rgr, thanks I just read the "how to not get scammed" page on Craigslist and it said not to accept checks. Thanks user for the advice.

Yeah no problem, I've dealt with it before, it's not practical. For 800 USD it's not a safe choice to do, very good chance it would be a scam. I get scammed for 150 USD items on eBay once a year, 800 USD people will bullshit you for it.

Good luck with the sale.

Dang feels bad man, he also asked me to take the ad down after he said he would buy it and i agreed. I texted the guy and if he doesn't reply back to me by tomorrow then I'm going to just post the ad back up on Craigslist. Thanks again user you're a life saver.

This is a common scam. Banks will pay out certified checks no matter what, so you walk with cash while the check takes time to clear. Then after you spend the money and he has your desk, it bounces and you are responsible for repayment.

STANDARD NIGERIAN SCAM

you pay cash at a police station, it's really not that hard. Fucking hate scammers on craigslist, always trying to lowball shit "I'll buy it for 50% off" bitch it's already 50% off.

To all the anons that helped me here is the check he sent me, You can see its clearly a fake. Seriously fuck this guy I live in California, his number is in Illinois and mailing from Lexington Ky. Seems legit right?

why do you think its a fake? lundergan group was incorporated in 1990 with ROBERT E MACLIN III as the incorporator, the have been in good standing in Kentucky for a long time id say it could be legit

here see for yourself

https: //app.sos.ky.gov/ftshow/(S(poshl1gjd1pvo43clgzhcidt))/default.aspx?id=0269101&ct=09&cs=99999

read this about the man your doing business with http ://bizlex.com/2012/03/lundergan-group-acquires-new-tent-pole/

also his daughter is the secretary of state for Kentucky that's a pretty big deal

http: //www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article57807753.html

Wait what, he's paying you 1,500 dollars?

not me, im just providing a little background info on the group that issued the check for that user

I realized I clicked the wrong one, my bad.

Because he said he was a local, he had a phone number from Illinois, mailing from lexington Ky and buying a heavy and hard to move desk in Southern California.
Are you just trolling?

Yeah when I only asked for $800, this is clearly a scam. The signature is already on the paper but not with pen.

You are going to lose your desk and chair, check craigslist scam list, certified checks are a scam, do not do it.

I know I am just showing the anons here the scam that someone tried to pull on me. I am not going to cash it. The guy is messaging me now and I'm currently calling him out, the guy has really shitty English.

no im not trolling, how old are you company checks almost always have the signature printed on them, his company is locatedin Lexington ky you can confirm that very easily..they are doing business threw out the united states as a event and catering business..

Don't worry the Craigslist admins don't allow cheaters on that site
>not cash
>not a cashier's check

what is his name? also if you think it's not legit you should contact the lundergan group and let them know, or at least ask them to confirm

Buyer here,
Im not going to rip you off I was just going to assrape you and take photos jeez

I wouldn't be petrified like other people here, but there is a possibility this is a scam.

But like you said, just wait for the check to clear. If it clears then move the stuff.

It's a little odd that he wouldn't just pay cash for a $800 item.

Also big tip: Always do a phone call with the buyer where you can hear their voice. So you can get a fell if they are legit.

> I sold on CL for 5 years. Never once scammed or robbed.

It depends sometimes, I can understand taking a check for $50 because you aren't going to die over losing $50 on a scam that may happen 1-5% of the time. But $800 dollar desk, guy gives $1500 check, it's sketchy and for that price I don't think the risk is worth it.

$1500, yeah it's going to bounce or get charged back. Sell it to somebody else, you'll find a buyer. I don't understand why he couldn't just mail you $1500 dollars or whatever and pick the item up. Almost no reason to use a check if there's going to be a planned purchase.

Yeah I finally finished reading the thread, it was a scam.

Certified checks are like cash. He can call the bank that the check is from and verify the funds with the check number. Easy as that.

This is the OP speaking, im just using my phone. I dont think you understand, the check he gave me is $600 dollars more then i asked, the check looks and feels like it was printed out, why whould a company in lexington KY want a conputer desk in San diego California, if he is a local then why is his phone number in Illinois, even the package he sent me with the check has a bougus return address. All these things add up to a huge fucking red flag to me.

Not all checks look the same, when I first started this job I thought the same thing about a check I received because it didn't have any markings on the back, where you endorse and whatnot. There was no hologram and it seemed cheap and printed like yours. It was from a hospital so clearly legit so I called and asked if they accidentally sent me the copy or something. No, the accounting department doesn't have color printers for just that reason, so no one can forge checks or something. I think as long as it has a routing number and a checking account on the bottom and its a legit bank it should be fine.

Regardless if its legit or not, paying $700 more for a used computer desk is retarded. I wouldn't risk it when there's other buyers out there that actually pay in cash.

Ok but you are completely ignoring everything else about it. look at the facts
>$700 more then I asked
>Says he is a local living in Southern California but has a return address in lexington Ky and has a phone number from Illinois.
>Also look at the check and tell me what you see wrong with it, see how the bank says Community Trust Bank in Lindngton Ky? That place does not exist.
>He is now demanding that I send in the check anyway even though I called him out on this bull shit check.

This check is so fake it fucking hurts, im not sure how you cant see it.

sorry meant to say he wants me to cash the check.

kek I know, I am messaging him now telling him he is a piece of shit for trying it.

the only way i would accept a check for payment is if i went to their bank and watched them physically get it drafted and had the teller confirm that the check wouldn't bounce. at that point, you might as well just get the cash, but a check might be easier for large sums of money (buying a car, large equipment, etc.).

either way, as long as you can have a 3rd party verify that they have the money, then a certified check should be fine. remember, people still give out counterfeit bills. but the one trolling their local craigslist with them usually have shitty fakes that are easy to spot (they never feel like real money).

You'll cash it. It will actually clear (temporarily). You'll give his "delivery guy" his cut. They disappear... five days later the bank calls, because the check wasn't legit.

You now owe them 100% of what you cashed, and they WILL collect.

Again,
>FUCKING TEXTBOOK ADVANCED FEE NIGERIAN SCAM

Do not listen to the asshole itt saying "whatswhat's the worst that can happen?"

Have you even considered the fact that they either stole a checkbook or found a random blank check? it even says on the craigslist faq to never accept check or wire transfer from some stranger. Ask for a picture of photo id.

Also, these people can be very dangerous, so don't attempt to outhustle or confront them. You do not have the firepower to fuck with African gangs.

My last post. Good luck user.

Yeah I didn't go through with it, I just told him he was an ass hole for trying and to learn how to spell.

Certified checks are drafted from an account prior to payment, and the bank becomes the secured third party. If it actually is a "certified check," then you have nothing to worry about, because the payment possessed by the bank. I just learned this in a security transactions law course a few weeks ago.

Nvm didn't see this, it is a fraudulent check. My bad

>bitch got scammed

ahahahah! They can cancel a check you know. It "clears" then a few days later is bounced or revoked or whatever magic and the money disappears, and your item is gone and you are fucked.

>selling shit, lady replies, gives me sob story about how she's deaf so she can't leave her house (what)
>wanted to pay me by check and have a moving company show up for item
>suspicious, jewgle it, common scam
>ask her to pay by cash or money order, say my boss is deaf and I know how it is and it's not a big deal
>no reply

I once sold someone around 1 BTC and he paid with using SEPA. I got a call from my bank a week later telling me that the buyer's bank told them the transaction was made using some counterfeit check and that I have to wire it back.

Wrote back explaining why that's bullshit and that I'm not wiring any money back since the transaction was legally binding and if he could pay using a fake check then it's the bank's fault, not mine. Didn't even get a call back lol.

If someone offered to pay by a "certified" check I'd tell them to either pay in cash or go fuck themselves. This is my advice to you bud.

Yeah, I know, that's what I'm saying, check is a complete fraud, obviously there's no question anymore on here. Send his Nigerian retard check back and sell to someone who actually needs a desk.

I already told him to fuck off, ty for the advice.

I would return it to hum but his return address is fake.

Lol, if they "mover" actually showed up you should break his fucking kneecaps or at the least a nice sound beating because that person is 90% of the time the scammer himself.

Almost everytime I deal with these crap when I post something on CL. I say yeah ill do that but when you show up don expect to be able to leave since ill bust your fucking kneecaps open and scoop your god damn eyes out with soup spoons.

this always elicits a nice response from the scammer.

Then I say "One day myself or someone else will agree to this "deal" of yours but it will be a trap and you or your "agent" will be severely beat".