XCOM General - /xcg/

Lewd Returns
previous squadwipe: News:
1)
Julian Gollop - lead developer of the original game X-COM UFO Defense - is working on his new game, Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM, where the enemy mutates to adapt to the tactics you use.
Also you can target individual body parts in the tactical layer for different effects. A few anons are on the e-mail newsletter for this; ask in the thread for more info.

Here are some links for the curious, though there isn't much yet:
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

2)
The same Julian Gollop held a conference three weeks ago discussing the past, present and possible future of the XCOM franchise and style.
>youtube.com/watch?v=ki3an0wHKzg

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read
>>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Essential improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z
NEW AND WORKING MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains literally all mods from the new modlist:
-RECENTLY UPDATED AND COMPRESSED IN ZIP FORMAT
>>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Music For Killing Ayys:
youtube.com/watch?v=mlsSiEpZMQY

Long War download link:
>nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/
/xcg/ Modlist
>pastebin.com/nDcMRY3G
Extra perks to add for Training Roulette:
>pastebin.com/cUjBbaFM
Namelist generator:
>daiz.io/xcom-namegen/
Wiki:
>ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Long_War
/xcg/'s Long War FAQ (new players read this shit):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN
Music For MECs:
youtube.com/watch?v=iGuuOdD6iY4

Other urls found in this thread:

xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831
youtube.com/watch?v=gaDJX0Ttsfc
twitter.com/Phoenix_etctectetct
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for pure innocent codex

Pistols are Useful.

Cyclops mod when

4 for weed

Almost no r34 presence, a damn shame when you see snekfags having hundreds of pics

It truly sucks, this is about all we've got, iirc some user is making a codex fapfic which might be decent.

we had the pre-edit of this since the day after her reveal

IT'S NOT FAIR

I just got ayy lmao'd on ironman, yet the game prompts me to restart mission

should i

Best girl rarely gets the most good fanart and r34 sadly

pistols are useful

They are pretty dang cool mang.

>>tfw Lewd
>>And not even of the cute variety.

At least the first post was prude.

I honestly can't decide.

My brain says Hit'n'Run, but my dick says Assassinate.

>coydex
>prude

Hard choice, I'd go Assassinate though. Could keep him concealed for a long time.

Assassinate

With him having holo-targetting, I kinda lean toward hit n' run, but that's just me. I also think its just a very strong ability, especially with the plentiful cover destruction available in X2.

Either one is good regardless, it just depends on what kind of roles you need to fill for your current squad.

If you're using him aggressively, maybe even with an EXO suit as an assault, then maybe HnR.

Assassinate gives you so much more use out of him if you're using him as a concealment scout though, and hell, if he fucks up or misses something once, then you've always got a re-concealment to use.

If you're taking two scouts on missions, a Guerilla combat scout and a sneaky Pathfinder can work well.

nth for Egg Com

I think I'm gonna roll with Assassinate for now, I've still got a mission or two before I actually have to decide though.

I'm considering respeccing him to be more combat oriented, I've got a couple of well ranked soldiers that can take his place if I decide to put him in the AWC later.
Hit&Run with holo is a great tool, but unlike EW, Pistols don't confer Holotargeting, so it limits how many targets he can mark in a continued firefight where things are moving constantly.

I just think with the power of of concealment shots it'll just end up being better and more useful in more situations than trying to bank on being able to get a flank shot which you can't always get.

Out of curiosity, does this synergize with shadowstrike?

If I was willing to spend money I'd commission some tbqh

Add this to news
>Long War Studios, the creators of the Long War mod for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within, is working on more mods for XCOM 2. This is in addition to the three mods the studio made available for the game at launch: the SMG, Muton Centurion and Leader soldier class.

>Long War Studios’ next mod, called “Toolbox,” is available to download on Steam Workshop for free starting today and features a collection of new options in the game menu. Using “Toolbox,” players can configure camera rotation in tactical missions, create random stats for new soldiers or those who have leveled up, edit damage values, tweak the game UI and turn on Red Fog – a modifier where injuries can affect a soldier’s stats.

>Here’s a list of everything included in the >“Toolbox” mod:

>Configurable camera rotation in tactical missions
>Damage variation
>Random stats for new soldiers
>Random stats on level-ups
>UI that shows soldier stats in various menus
>UI and other support for up to 12-soldier squads
>Red Fog (injuries affect stats)
>Additionally, Long War Studios is working on four more mods that will be available to download on Steam Workshop for free over the coming months. The second mod will be the "Perk Pack" mod, with new soldier classes and dozens of new soldier abilities for players to create additional classes of their own. The “Laser Pack” mod is the third mod and will be a new weapon tier coming out the same day as the “Perk Pack”. The fourth mod that will be coming to XCOM 2 is the “Alien Pack” mod and will add 10 new alien enemies. The fifth and last mod from the Long War Studios team is still in the works and we’ll be sharing more details soon.

xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods

>Capnbubs is working with them

Do they help with abductions?

If only you'd posted this an hour ago

keeping track of this
Good stuff overall.

new alien enemies

I wonder what type of aliens that could be...

My money is on 10 types of Heavy Floaters. Accept no less.

Post rare Kellys

go into inspector and make the time an hour ago
I'm smrat, see?

I didn't even know they had mods, damn I been missing out.

Nothing in XCOM2 can compare to the designs in EW.

Nothing can compare to capturing ayys and seeing them in that tank.

Did Jake even play EW? He forgot all the best parts.

This is a bit too many characters. I suggest something like this instead, added after the 2) news about Julian Gollop:

3)
Long War Studios, the creators of Long War for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within, are working on even mods for XCOM 2. The first one in a planned series of five - the Long War Tool Box - is available now on the workshop, reintroducing quite a few second wave options from EU as well as improved camera functionality and fully supported squad sizes of up to 12:
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831

Furthermore the mod author Capnbubs - maker of the most endorsed mod on the workshop - has been signed onto the LWS team. One can only assume it's armor related, as that is what he specializes in.

^ That's a thousand less characters.

Not having to spam satelites in the early game to not lose a bunch of countries is a pretty big improvement though. I like the changes they made with the geoscape a lot.

A lot of typos but you get the picture. I should go to bed.

i would murder my firstborn child for my game to look like this at an acceptable framerate

jack

youtube.com/watch?v=gaDJX0Ttsfc
>hard sci-fi space cod confirmed
I can't wait for all the armours they'll introduce to port over to Xcom.

>I like the changes they made with the geoscape a lot.

Yes me too but I wish they didn't just do what seems like a rushed strategy map with the avatar timer crap. The strategy map shouldn't be dictated by that but by ayys sabotaging your rebellion and ruining countries you have taken. Gameover should be when the ayys get too strong and you literally cannot win fights anymore due to them crushing your rebellion.

The avatar timer was just super lazy.

Woah I might actually play this even though I don't like or play FPS since I was 16.

Theres no point keeping track of that, it'll put us over the OP character limit

Looks pretty neat, apparantly the official twitch has an official bot cycling through threats that make it clear its going to be actual space sci-fi.

Games that are serious about killing ayys without multiplayer focused game are too few.

You missed the point. The news is worth putting in the OP in one form or another.

That post may be even worth to put it in the first or so posts.

Scouts don't get shadowstrike so I wouldn't know

>AWC gives Operator sniper Reaper

She just DOESN'T STOP KILLING.

if only an infantry or scout got this shit, holy fuck

>You missed the point
No I didn't, I just don't see the point in "tracking" a post with news that you should be capable of remembering when the actual post can't be added to the OP.

why not take the lower character alternative instead?

It would still push us past character limit, the OP news section would be fine with that added as just a brief one or 2 line synopsis and a link, the same could be done for the other OP news item.

CUTE

We could remove the 2) news about Julian Gollop's talk, was current when I added it but it's been more than a month now. What we really should be doing is relegate LW links to two or three pastebins rather than it taking up more space than XCOM2 stuff, we do that and there's more than enough space.

It only meant to acknowledge that the news is on the radar. We have been doing this for a while don't you remember?

Precisely what I meant. Tho some editing will be needed.

Leave it in but remove everything but the PC gamer link and one the first line

Also could you not identify yourself with screenshots when discussing things completely unrelated to your modlists and storytime. You might as well trip

Some people have been doing it a few times and I'm allowed to have an opinion on it being stupid.

Will do famalam, I can understand that complaint. Seeing as we haven't been hitting image limit for the several last threads I've been posting them because I like sharing - if it's given me an identity proper that's hardly a good thing though, it wasn't my intention. I'll put a lid on it.

JUST MAKE A PASTEBIN UNDER IT damn niggas

>>on it being stupid.

It is not. You just don't like it.

I don't mind it tbqh, general's been slow as hell for weeks so having active posters at all is a good thing

I didn't mind REDS tripping either though so maybe i'm not one to talk

Thanks for understanding, its not the image limit I'm worried about, its to stop you becoming an effective namefag and also to stop you getting banned for avatarfagging as its the worst enforced rule on the site and I've seen people banned under it for less.

>tfw female titanfall armor still isn't camo-enabled

I've got the perfect Light/Heavy/Exosuit uniform designs for my guys but not so much for my grills.

REDS?

REMOVE THIS******
News:
1)
Julian Gollop - lead developer of the original game X-COM UFO Defense - is working on his etc

Here are some links for the curious, though there isn't much yet:
>twitter.com/Phoenix_etctectetct

2)
The same Julian Gollop held etc not needed

Just remove this shit, who cares til it's done or if anything actually comes of it or we get a real release date. It'll probably be shit in the end.

A trip poster going by the Reliable Ecchi Delivery Sniper or something like that.

Oh him, I'm of the view that tripfagging is only needed when you need to actually confirm your identity and that Veeky Forums in general is better when for discussion people stay as anons although I understand temporary ID's on boards like /pol/.

It helps to keep the problems of big forums away such as powerusers who everyone fawns over and no one ever dares to disagree with.

>such as powerusers who everyone fawns over and no one ever dares to disagree with.

I agree.

Respectfully, that's horseshit. We're in XCOM general and the original creator is working on an XCOM styled game? Of fucking course I want to know about that shit, damn. The 2) should be removed though, and all Long War links shifted into a single pastebin - it shouldn't be removed entirely, but the fact of it is that most of us don't play it anymore and if we're nearing character limit our OP should reflect that.

Fair game, I've seen generals go down the shitter because of namefag drama. RIP /fog/, /tesg/, and every general with an active modding community ever besides from this one.

I won't be using a trip unless a lot of people REALLY want me filtered, that's for damn sure. Where did Reds even go? He was alright in the sense that he talked about the game and didn't get too much attention for tripping.

Red Snoipah, our resident trip for most of the LW ages. Shush though, when you talk about a tripfag they magically appear.

So, what happened in the storytime about the mission LongWar-user thinks just ended his campaign? I missed the end of the last thread.
Pic related.

EXALT
X
A
L
T

Basically two guys asked me in a suprisingly polite manner not to storypost and I figured fair game, I had to leave fairly shortly anyway and it's a long one. Funny how sometimes a mission that takes like 40 turns takes you like half an hour to play, and one that goes on 17 takes three simply because you think harder and accidentally activate more pods leading to enemy turns which last half a fucking year

It got pretty crazy, pic related

Do Long War Exalt actually add anything to the game other than frustrating missions and random strategy penalties?

To be fair the legacy Long War stuff and the julian gollop stuff can be in pastebins with a decent title or latest update in one line for gollops highly anticipated work. The new Long War stuff can be in news and the main info that we need visible since it's such a hot topic in the XCOM world. Even if they fucked up, they plan on extra ayys and other modders are gathering to make stuff cathedral style again just like with Long War, which is better than the 500 separate mods mess/hell that skyrim and fallout suffers from.

Mod compatibility is such a huge issue in the gaming world and even without mod support of XCOM1 we had it good with one huge mod that was compatible with some other mods. I was scared XCOM2 would end up like everything else with modders fencing off their creations when combination into one large overhaul is always superior. Long War is Radious mods from TW are the only mods I can think of that do that one mod to fix it all. I'm really hoping XCOM2 and even Long War don't end up being compatibility messes.

scan at the start of every month and git gud at their missions

they can be a source of income and EXP farms just as much as they can be challenging, but if you have a problem with strategy penalties then XCOM in general is the problem.

because of the threat exalt poses strategically you HAVE to take a 'just in case' stance of scanning, usually only once a month, but sometimes twice.

>income
Their only drop is the alien grenade fragments unless you arc thrower them.

Their long war missions are kind of insane though, even by the mid game you have vast numbers of accurate Exalt troopers with the ability to destroy any cover you take. Once they get alien grenades you can't even rely on comm hacking.

>Asking you not to storypost
Fuck that, I want to know just how the fuck you had 100+ aliens in a single mission, and how the fuck your squad managed to last that long in the first place.
I think I remember seeing that, but they seemed to be saying "we're near the image cap, save it for the next thread." And well, here's the next thread.

If you keep the transmitter safe in the covert defense missions you get additional funds.

Also, I dunno if b15 changed Exalt but the only full LW campaigns I did were prior to it. I did notice that in my b15 campaign, Exalt troops often had grenades even if they didn't have the 'Throw Grenade' skill upon the shot analysis screen.

How I'd play them in b14 was to nuke the fuck out, flashbang or suppress of anything that had rockets or offensive grenades and daisy-chain the EXALT communication towers. Usually that was pretty doable.

Why did firaxis spend money and time on multiplayer? They could have made the base game even better instead or added in 5 more ayys. Maybe even used the higher polygon count sectopods they had drawn up.

>>Where did Reds even go?

Been wondering that too for a time. He disappeared just before XCOM 2 got released so it's kind of weird.

The game gets surprisingly more difficult without the EXALT around ar they are a source of panic reduction, experience, resources, possible weapon/grenade captures and massive FREE RESOURCES once you get their base down.

You just need to learn how to handle their missions.

You should try them in 1.0, you can expect to have 10-20 of them by the encoder starting off in defense missions with around the same amount coming in as reinforcements. By june or july you can expect them to be fielding majority elite troops and almost all of their troops will intelligently use explosives to open your guys up.

Comm Hacks are just RNG, they can either be piss easy or stupidly difficult if the spawns are bad.

>panic reduction
Not when you lose a country because they do the panic mission and the only resources you get from them are grenade fragments

I forgot to mention they get stupid amounts of HP stupidly early and make heavy use of smoke and things that make them harder to hit

I can't find anything in the changelog about EXALT being significantly changed between b14 and 1.0, so this is weird to me.

Is it a guaranteed fail to sword attack mutons?

The difference being that the Julian Gollop's stuff is recent and new to a large chunk of posters, whereas the Long War links are common knowledge at this point. I feel like it should probably be in for one or two more threads before replacing it with a single link to phoenixpoint.info.

I'm happy you like my storyposting, user! I think I'll wait for a while though, watching Hurt Locker for now and the threads pretty slow, I'd most likely choke discussion completely.

Speaking of hurt locker, bomb disposal suit armor mod when? I need this shit.

i noticed reds posted on the xcom reddit today asking about our old mgs namelist

n-not that i occasionally go there or anything

I don't think so.
Just 2 days ago I hit one with sword but I don;t remember if it was due to bladestorm or just normal attack.

closest i can get for you right now

I don't understand what I'm missing then, your experience with Exalt seems completely different to mine, they're a legitimate pain to play against as I just can't find a valid tactic, falling back and breaking LOS doesn't work because the maps are too small and they'll just take the transmitter, trying to strongpoint rarely works as they'll just destroy all of the cover and spam explosives, trying to play aggressive just gets you fucked over by Overwatch and you end up triggering more pods, trying to spreadout just gets guys killed and trying to hit the Exalt comms just makes them move back to explosives.

Until Gauss (if you're lucky) you can't really take out more than one or two per turn either as they have a surprising amount of health, it wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the sheer quantity, inability to fall back and the constant reinforcements and homing pods.

If it matters most of my Exalt defense missions have been the petrol station.

I was in a real bad position with 3 squadmates killed, had a muton and a berserker left. It said if I sword attacked the Muton for 96% chance to hit it would die, leaving my ranger in the open but with untouchable so if the berserker hit her it was a guaranteed miss. I tried it and he just grabbed the sword mid swing and headbutted me, leaving me stunned, in the open and with only 2hp.

My other squadmates managed to kjill the muton but next turn the berserker came up and took a 95% chance to hit on my stunned ranger and miraculously missed and I was able to get david and goliath achievement next turn.

Left me wondering if that retaliation stun from the muton was guaranteed to happen or something. I was sure I could just get the kill and guarantee the berserker missed on its turn.

What difficulty are you playing?

I meant that once you win a mission in the country they are active at the moment. It has saved me a few times. Also if you let them do their covert missions you are doing it wrong.

No you can hit them.

Normal

Yeah, that was my mistake in the first few months.

It's not rare for Mutons to outright oneshot rangers when they counter them.

I wonder if lubrication's infantry class makes use of that same skill on Mutons for Zone of Control (covering fire pistol overwatch on anything within three tiles and high chance to counter one melee attack per turn)

Any mod recommendations to ENHANCE my XCOM 2 experience ? I would say almost Long War style but shit XCOM 2 Long War isn't a thing right ?

Also, any "guides to git gud" you would recommend ?

Op Mod pastebin is probably what you're looking for

Check out the OP modlist, it's crazy extensive

I'm currently using

>Increased pod sizes +
>Improved AI
>Grenade Throwing Tweaks
>Grenade Damage falloff
>ADVENT Sniper
>8 Squad Size max
>Lubrications Infantry/Sniper classes
>Escalation Rocketeer/Gunner/Scout classes
>Disable any class (I disabled all vanilla classes except Specialists)

I think it works pretty well. 6 classes, all with 2 distinct archtypes and 8 soldier slots.

For gitting gud I'd say there are two things you need to know;

- ALWAYS consider your team as a whole and look at what THEY can do for the whole round rather than going "what is the best thing this guy do?" then going to the next one and again "what is the best thing this guy do?". Once you've gone through all your options with all soldiers, you make a plan and you execute it sequentially - if at all possible you have to make a Plan B as well if somebody fucks up a roll. It sounds like an obvious thing, but it's the difference between getting wrecked and facerolling aliens.
- Meme beacons

That's all you need to know, the rest is just knowing game mechanics and enemy AI by heart. Attached Legend win to prove I'm not a total shitter.

I'm glad it's being useful to some of you! Speaking of the modlist, adding the Tool Box Y/N? and are basically the reason I'm hesitant, although it's a great utility tool in theory - anyone care to give their two cents?

>its a named thinman episode