/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Crawl 0.18 "Beta": crawl.develz.org/wordpress/0-18-release-tournament
Crawl 0.18 Tournament starts May 6: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Down with wins in the OP
the OP should be about anything else but that

Just trying out Elona+
What are the must have starting feats? Some of these sound like newbie traps.

hey guys I'm back if anyone want to help a newb to escape with the Rune of Zot or if anyone just wants to watch me die. I'm in the berotato server my name is doroboNeko.

Avoid stat boosts (maybe the life and mana ones if you're extremely deficient in one (i.e. Golems & mana)).
Uncontrollable power doubles damage you give and take, confuses you for a few turns, is amazing.
Natural Leader gives you Cheer which gives your pets Speed and Hero, it's amazing.

You mean orb run? It's easiest part of the game.

No fast reader trait and sub-14 intelligence is suffering

No. I mean beat the game. I'm at snake currently. I'm tired of this goddam snakes in this goddamn branch.

It could be worse.
You could be in shoals.
It didn't give you shoals, did it?

So I just take Feats that give me skills? What about luck or things that give me non-stat related passives, like the tax related ones?

Yet another demon win. Tried to streak another win after this one, but splatted stupidly to Reprobus. Oh well.

It did give me Shoals

In general yeah, move feats are worth more because they give you stuff you can't get any other way.
Luck is never worth it, you need massive amounts to see differences and that's what Lucky Day's are for.
Tax probably isn't worth it, it's inconsequential for the most part and can be reduced by kitty banking your money before tax day. Quartermaster might be interesting, though I've never tried it.

Other nice move feats are Drain Blood, mainly because it GIVES you stamina with use so you can use more special moves, and it can be used on allies for this reason and they won't get mad at you (if they really like you).
Touch of Sleep might be good for pickpocketing.
Exorcist prevents random events from cursing your shit but from what I've heard it might not be worth it.

Welp

Poison Touch is nice for insta-gibbing bells and other super fast lightweights.

You can just throw potions at bells.

>reposting from last thread to catch anyone who missed it attention
Where the fuck are the PosChengband tilesets? I'm searching all over Google and nothing is coming up. When I try to enable tiles it gives me the "You may not do that right now" and tells me it can't execute the files because they don't even exist in the first place. I'm just sick of staring at numbers and letters.

HELP

No dude.
You don't use the poschengband tileset.
Okay? You just don't.
There's a reason the maintainer removed them from the latest version.
They literally don't work. Haven't for ages, there are tons of monsters without a tile, and the ones that have tiles- you don't want to see them.
PCB tiles are worse than ToME4 tiles, and I don't say that type of thing lightly.

>PCB tiles are worse than ToME4 tiles, and I don't say that type of thing lightly.
Well I didn't know they were THAT bad. I guess the game is fun enough to where I can enjoy it without tiles.

You'll get used to it.
Poschengband was the first game I started enjoying in ASCII (unless you count Brogue), and now I play everything in ASCII as long as such an option exists.

So in Elona+, if I didn't take a ranged based class, is it still worth it to try and use bows and guns? Or am I stuck with throwing rocks?

grats

i wish that game weren't a pokemon trainer, i would certainly try it

That's like saying if pokemon weren't pokemon, you would try it.

Probably you should have something for ranged, whether magic or a weapon.

Definitely you should put something in that slot for free resists even if you don't use the weapon.

what's wrong with pokemon
and demon is one of the most tactical roguelikes i've ever played, it's not even near finished

well i dont like being a team manager

it's pretty much like inventory or equipment management, just flavored differently
swapping out a demon is like swapping out a resist/weapon/whatever

>No SotS the Pit pasta

ONE FUCKING JOB

Make one yourself.

Posted on a previous thread. I have a question. Whenever i start DCSS it only shows the top left quarter of the game. its like the resolution is wrong or something. whenever i exit and hover my mouse over the tab itll show the whole thing. its just whenever i click on it it'll zoom in to the top left quarter.

Anyone know how to fix this? ive looked on google and forums but havent found anything yet.

does it work properly if you turn off full-screen mode?

But that game is bad.

Oh dear /rlg/...

Dear /rlg/, serial ascender of the dungeon.

Rise if you would. For that is our curse.

Good kitty.

Is the DCSS server laggy or is it me?

>Elona+ crashes every time I get near Yowyn or whatever
Is this normal?

Chosen /rouge/s. I like it.

Now play more Incursion.

there are multiple dcss servers you dirty minotaur

you have to specify which one

CSZO

:^)

No.
Unless they changed shit.
Though from a gameplay standpoint that seems like a shitty change.
Which version do you have?

Is there any reason to pick a non-Spriggan race for an Enchanter, other than to add challenge? It seems like it's just "The Spriggan Class"

what fucking retard came up with a zombie that launches infinite automated flying grenades

For fun?
Who am I kidding, it's Crawl after all.
VS is pretty fun for any background though.

What's a good one for begginers? I'm autistic enough to play an ascii only game.

In the what to play pasta there is a list of good beginner roguelikes and a short description, choose whichever one looks appealing to you.

DCSS

Fucking bullshit volcano.
Also, Vehumet will gift me a guaranteed Shatter since I'm an Earth Mage, right?
I already have the Book of Annihilations.
This might be fun.

>guaranteed
You wish.

How to cheese every volcano
1. Read magic map
2. Dig straight to the path with a wand of digging or other means, avoiding ALL fire and lava. Teleporting until you're close to the vault works too.

Just be sure to train conjurations, he might gift you LCS.

>he might gift you LCS

I already have the Book of Annihilations.
I just want shatter for the greatest V:$splosion of all time.

Ahahaha!
Vehumet can fucking suck it.
At least she gives me mana and increased range.

>xe

I can't believe how fucking dead we are when people aren't playing dcss or shitposting.
Do we seriously not do anything else? I mean I know there's at least two guys playing dynahack but holy shit it's either that or dcss galore forever.

I often post Sil and *hacks too.
I'm just playing DCSS again since it's been a while.
Why don't you post about what you're playing instead of metaposting?

>decide to start a playtrough on ASCII in cataclysm
OH GOD EVERYTHING IS Z's

I mean holy fuck someone play adom and DDA and Ivan and nethack and elona and Qud and sil and frozen depths and PCB and ALL THE GAMES IN THE PASTA
There's been at least a single win for dcss in every fucking thread for the past four years
It's time to stop
This needs to stop
This is literally our last chance
We are dying because people are burnt out of crawl and we end up relying on new guys to bump the thread
Look at you
Be the change this thread needs
Play something else holy fuck

Okay I'll post something oldie mcgoodies from DDA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

>We need to play games
>But I won't be the one to change and post /rouge/, you do it
Hey buddy, fuck you. Everytime I play, I post about it so that other anons can get in on the action. Why can't you play? Why don't you post about it?

I mean I'm looking at the /lite/ general okay
And I'm fucking appalled
They're having civil discussions about their favorite games and they're playing ALL OF THEM.
They burn about one thread every two days. They don't even touch page 9.
A d that's because they have fucking roguelite biodiversity
They don't talk about fucking enter the dungeon all fucking day long
Good goy

I'm playing Elona but I can't exactly post shit about it regularly.
Unless you guys enjoy waifu updates for some godawful reason.

Because I'm making this rant on a phone, user.
I've been splatting dyna convicts for the last three weeks, get off my goddamn back.

Oh. I'm sorry user, I didn't know. You do good work and I eagerly await your ascension. I really do all I can for us when I play though. Someone else needs to post like us.

Well I'm not forcing you to post just throwing out that every post is a good one
At the same time I don't hate the dcss posting (since there's gonna be a lot o
More during the tournament too) I just want people to post different shit. If you keep posting one kind of roguelike, people will play that. You try a new one,you get the PCB effect, where we played like crazy for months.
I've just realized nobody won IA 1.8

Alright, fuck.
I won't post about Crawl again.
Happy now?

I've reached a perfect way to handle the challenge. Basically grab 0 AC in the mines, then dive down. Eventually I'll find an elf and grab his pall and shield for -3 AC, which is good enough to handle the guards. Then I have to kill my quest nemesis with -3 AC, but apparently it doesn't resist sleep so a wand should dispatch her while I bash ber with my huge balls. The last step after that is to grab a ring of slow digestion, because the guard trick bleeds nutrition without it, so I have to go to sokoban and hope for the best. Once I get the guards rolling I can get to level 30 with potions of gain level and put all the loot inside my blessed bag of holding I got in the mines.
I found out a way to enforce spell-less too! I just sit on an antimagic trap until I have 0 mana. I only memorize the first spellbook I find so I can confuse myself to fooproof armor anyway.

That is bot what I said
Gosh
I can't and I don't want to stop the crawl posting
It's a good game at times
I just want some roguelike humus for new players to frolick in and grow their tiny hjklun arms and that's only reached through biodiversity
Play what you want

I would continue my playthrough of UrW shaman mod but Dominions 4 and running and being healthyhas sucked up all my free time

I like waifu updates

Oh shit I haven't seen incursion in a long while. Have you tried the new races rmtew unlocked? Like the drow and the whatever the other ones were?

Yeah, they're pretty legit. Didn't know the Drow weren't always accessible, but you can play with subraces. Dragonkin Lizardfolk and Grey Elves are probably the strongest races in the game now.

Sidenote: I hate when neutrals steal my crossbow bolts.

i'm the same as this user. My "main" roguelike is poschengband but i've been giving dynahack, cata, and DCSS a go. DCSS is sucking me in quite alot more than i expected. speaking of, is a paladin style warrior of the shining one a good idea or am i gonna splat terribly?

There's a reason they removed TSO from the backgrounds. You get piety by killing demons and undead, which are mostly present in the endgame. The only good thing about tissot is the +hit aura at the very start.

Is someone actively developing Incursion again?

Pretty sure the development stopped around november 2015, user. Rmtew is only human after all.

Fuck you ponyposter, I'll post about Crawl if I want.

What the fuck did they do with my beautiful piety caves?
This is the fucking entrance.
I already killed a Knight and Nergalle who were also camping it.

Not really. Julian has abandoned it, and rmtew has done some minor bugfixing, but that was back in January.

It's open-source now, so you can fork it, but it has that whole 90s C++ thing going on, and ain't nobody got time for that.

>Fuck you ponyposter
Unf

>I'll post about Crawl if I want
Nobody's actually stopping you, I'm just saying that other games are good too
Now let's get back to the part where you said you wanted to fuck me
Are you at least gonna take me somewhere nice before

>and ain't nobody got time for that.

We clearly need some motivated NEETs.

Incursion is an unfinished demo that was gonna be the greatest roguelike of all time, with an overworld, random dungeon generation and an economy system. Kind of like ultima ratio regum meets ADOM.
The dev wasn't autisic enough to toady it up and the game never really caught the attention DF got, so what we have is an unfinished 10-level demo of what was gonna be a way bigger game.
It's not a bad game and it's really fun on its own, but it's not necessarily what you'd call a project you would want to pursue.
Best case scenario (getting rid of all the bugs, importing the code base to github, etc etc) the game would be a bugless demo.

A really damn good one but still. A 10 level demo. And let me tell you they don't have the manpower to actually fix one fourth of the bugs of the game. If you start the game in nightmare mode and go down to level 7 or something, you'll take five minutes to take five steps for the sheer amount of spellcasters casting spells out of your LOS. Then the game will crash.
Incursion is a good game to play and win st least once to get a feel of the bigger picture. A "what if".
Also to eat all the tomes.

More like paid NEETS. Incursion can only be built on Windows and inside of Microshit's Visual Studio, and only money would make me want to touch that.

Plus, the system is super robust, but was developed more or less exclusively by one dude, so its just strange. In fact, most of what you see in-game isn't even in the main code, but is made in IncursionScript, which Julian made specifically for the game.

>carrying the Broken TV to get the robot
>get a "fire bullets on item activation" item
>get a "bullets fire from enemies on hit" item
>get scattershot bullets
>throwing the TV spawns infinite bullets in all directions, spawning more bullets that spawn more bullets
>accidentally throw the TV into a pit right before the boss

Why fucking bother

And to expand on what said, Incursion was made basically for solo DnD play. It's based on the d20 ruleset, is extensively written in regards to how things work, and gives the player pretty huge amounts of customization without fucking up the base, like some shitty zombie-related games.

If you're interested, you should read the white paper Julian wrote about the game, where he explains how and why he wrote it.

I do agree, though, it would be easier to write another game from scratch than to update Incursion. Julian and Toady both rode the high of Strange Moods into some crazy shit, and it would be hard fuck with their work so late in the game.

Sounds like someone should just blatantly copy everything in a better environment and more debugging since it's open source when they're making a totally new roguelike and then build on that.

>In fact, most of what you see in-game isn't even in the main code, but is made in IncursionScript, which Julian made specifically for the game.
what the fuck

Yep. If you check the source, src/ just contains all the architecture, which puts the pieces together. Most of the actual building blocks are defined in the lib/ folder. Here is subraces.irh, specifically where he defines the Grey Elf subrace.

It's actually within reason to re-flavor Incursion as any other genre, since everything is defined the way it is.

I've been wanting to make another d20 roguelike for a long-ass time, but I'm not sure whether there would be interest since nobody plays Incursion.

Climbing up slowly.

...Little girl?

Now we're going places.

cat :3

Little girl is actually the best choice, no joke - she has good equipment slots! Sell her for a better pet in the thief town later though, haa.

From worst to best
Bear > Cat > Dog > Little Girl

It's like I'm really worshipping Trog.

Welcome to Elona! Enjoy your stay. Don't forget to marry the fridge.

>horse picture
>elona
;_;

HORSE NEVER EXISTED LET IT FADE

dicks where are you ;_;

what is this image used for

There aren't.

Well, ok, there are, but they're not in this version, download an earlier version, take the tiles file and put it in the newest version, that should work.

I guess, I haven't even tried.

They're fucking shit though.

So, we can't get any info about the scroll of omnipotence from there?

I can't still fucking believe dicks got a horse through inferno mode
A horse with LESS SLOTS THAN A NORMAL HUMAN