/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

"Death, I am not afraid of this" edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Adventure mode tips:
i.imgur.com/dOkRaNT.png

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:pastebin.com/3YGZKj6h

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6970205#msg6970205
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7854D0F1F9208DF4
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoqk1o5eR482hxcDPKbwqYiJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whahappa?

Helloooo...

echooo...

Do you know any good let'splayers who play DF?
I like playing df, while watching (or mostly listening) someone else playing.

I don't, if someone else shows up maybe they will?

I've seen a few but they generally sound like noobs just laughing at the game

I have 4 competent Marksdwarves, 2 novice lashers, 2 competent axe dwarves. I've only had one invasion so far and I dealt with the 10 of them through traps to get some starter gear because I had no copper nor iron on my site.
The melee fighters have coppers helmets and shields with iron weapons. The Marksdwarves have iron and copper crossbows with only wooden bolts, and I haven't figured out how to make them shoot their ammunition yet. I also have Elves visiting.
What do?

>webs
Ha ha, you're fucked!

>webs
Nigga u dun for

Webs absolutely fuck you up as you literally can't do anything while caught in them.
There are two scenarios you have to beat this guy

>1.
You kill him with your marksdwarves. Make sure they stay out of range and don't switch to melee like they always do. Make sure they actually have decent bolts.

>2
You manage to flank the FB in melee.
He'll launch his webs towards one soldier and the rest get him from the back. They generally don't spam their webs all the time. You might get lucky in these intervals and score a fatal hit. Unlikely tho

If all else fails, bridge-splatting or cave-in.

Would pic related actually work in practice?

No
Blood is not a liquid, but a contaminant.

creature blood isn't a liquid so no
at best you might be able to dye already existing water red with dye

Though /dfg/ may die, it will rise again.

How does it even work when a race gets major pops in another race's civ? I know it has to do with the capturing of sites, but exactly how does it work? Are the site pops in the conquered site simply moved into the conquering civ?

I thought it was just immigrants more than capturing sites. Goblins tend to end up integrating everywhere over time since they're immortal and develop great social skills. Elves are too busy fucking trees to do the same thing.

Any nice relaxing forts for travelers?

Oh god, getting frozen in is such a fucked up thing. "la la la, everythings fine OH GOD ICEDEATH WHY!"

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6970205#msg6970205

FotF reply

>Goblins tend to end up integrating everywhere over time since they're immortal and develop great social skills.
I doubt this. Only hist figs develop skills, and only the children of hist figs are kept track of individually.

The general pops must use another mechanic, likely on amore abstract level.

considering stress is not suuuch a bad thing anymore due to inebriation, I'm going to melt my masterworks. hope for the best

>120 green glass tables

I'll prolly drop some of them into lava or trade them to the dwarf caravans who'll most likely come back as merchants with their beasts of burden carrying them on their backs along with the multitudes of other unwanted items . . . oh Its a lose lose situation no way to get these out of the map eventually whoops

I picked several random merchants and generic dwarf citizens standing around and checked their skills.

They sit around and talking and try to sell shit and so forth.

The only guy I could ever recommend, the one that got me into this game in first place:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7854D0F1F9208DF4
Soothing voice, fun sense of humor, actually enjoys the game.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM7yEwbhGUoqk1o5eR482hxcDPKbwqYiJ

Watch if you want to listen to a nice voice, nothing but gameplay commentary, and the man who killed all the demons in hell without losing a single life to them.

Will toady add in sex mechanics?

>we've lost many dwarves, we've lost far more dwarves than we lost in the initial demonic invasion. We've lost six actually (ep 68 counting the bodies)

son I've got bad news for you otherwise this is not bad

Some snippets for the lazy:
>There are no plans to bring the time scales of adv and fort mode closer.

>I haven't started the 64 bit test yet -- it'll mark the change from the random small features and bug fixes I've been doing into the artifact/myth/magic stuff. I'm not sure when that transition will occur. We'll surely need some more bug fixes after this release.

>[A single tile is] 2*2*3m.

>[Standing orders (i.e. always keep booze between 70 and 100 - auto produce more if it gets lower, stop when it's at 100) won't be in the next release yet. Just general work order improvements]

Why am I only getting weak titans?
On my first fortress (well not the first, but the first where I knew was doing (Even though it was /aboveground/)) I got spectacularly rekt by a flying fire titan.

Last couple of failed society experiments I've only been getting stuff like steam titan (got 1 hit by ), giant leech (got punched into oblivion by a dabbling wrestler) etc.
Is this normal?

Pic related. Might have been the same type of titan.

I used to watch that guy on Twitch all the time. He used to play a lot of cool indie/free games. But unfortunately he only seems to play Hearthstone now.

I love FoTF replies because there are always 3 or 4 interesting tidbits, surrounded by a sea of "shit man, I don't even know. we'll get there when we get there."

Refreshingly honest. I don't know why the bay12drones keep asking about timelines and specifics. There weren't any 10 years ago, there aren't any now...

It's random.

Steam titans and any other form made out of liquids or gasses get one hit, glass etc.

If you want fun, look for a titan made out of hard materials like iron or steel, then you'll be proper fucked.

Why so gloom & doom I remember when stories filled this place with halls of mead & ale!

Ah yes, the great meadhall calamity, in which 95% of those posting on /dfg/ were crushed by falling buildings.

A dark time, indeed.

Because Toady lied.

And goblins died

>You'll never gen up a world that's something out of YN

What is YN?

Yume Nika or something like that

Yume Nikki, a game where you explore world of dreams. It's quite meditative and surrealistic.

Hmmm, at some point we'll get something like dream world visiting if you believe the general guideline that they're trying to do the stuff in Threetoe's stories.

20XX

>I was stumbling through the caverns, late one night
>When my eyes beheld a eerie sight
>For the monster population, began to rise
>And suddenly, to my surprise
>They did the mash

>beating heart

But she's UNDEAD?

Undead can't unlove user

s'troof

So in the next 20 years?

How do you treat elfs?

Heat, bedrest, and penicillin until the infection subsides.

When you say heat, do you mean a soothing rock heated water, direct exposure to gentle flame, a molten rock massage, or all of the above at once with a side of spikes?

Chain the females up for milk and toss the males into the troll pit.

Yes.

Found a goblin town, everything is fucked up, instead of wood it's all obsidian, there are trenches everywhere, and this shit happens when I go into the keep.

You're a good man.

Thanks man, you too!

>snow indoors
disgusting

>>[Standing orders (i.e. always keep booze between 70 and 100 - auto produce more if it gets lower, stop when it's at 100) won't be in the next release yet. Just general work order improvements]

triggered

by the way can workflow do this now?

I want to see petroleum added in to the game at some point. Oil traps would be pretty great and >fun

>walk around with a backpack full of oil
>throw it on people
>every bodypart is now covered in oil
>throw a fireball at them
>???
>It was inevitable.

>doing something useful with cinnabar and making mercury moats

>Adventure mode will always be shite

Please toady deliver onto me a good game

Man I wish some metals could melt into liquids
>making a molten gold river in your treasury

Just wait a couple more years or ten

Just please add a way to gain combat experience that doesn't involve grinding. Just let me gain exp from killing monsters. The game actively punishes you for ending fights quickly

Found lately that exp doesn't raise for a lot of adventurer skills in some circumstances anyway

I guess it's back to hugging turtles until I become a demigod in dodging

I like it.

I wish npcs could train your skills and shit
>tfw you find a battle worn wandering warrior in the middle of a forest
>you can convince him to tell you his war stories and maybe even teach you some of his techniques

hey /dfg/ all my dwarf started killing each other mercilessly. no one was unhappy, anyone know what happened ?

Loyalty cascade from an execution or something?

Had this happen recently in a fortress I ran for about 5 years unattended, I figured it was because I'm using a modded race with different ethics or it could have been the 13 ghosts floating around (no one got bad thoughts from them and they weren't violent)

i killed some tavern people because i was losing fps, could that have caused a loyalty cascade?

God yes.

Dorf #1 is friends with Human Maceman
Dorf #2 is in the militia and kills Human Maceman
Dorf #1 starts fuckin fighting him but gets slaughtered by superior militia skills
Dorf #3 liked Dorf #1
Entire Dorf Fortress starts fighting.

If you want to get ride of those bastards just play the long game and starve them after setting the config to not allow any.

g-good I wanted the thread to die at 75 posts

I've come to accept that dfg is in a permanent state of semi-death

I wish I was at home playing dwarf fortress

Dead thread
Dead game

Do bees affect fps much?
I have like 30 hives and my fps is down to 30 only 3 years in with 100 dwarves

The 100 dwarves are hurting you more than 30 hives.

I suppose my 40 human guests aren't helping either
How low do people usually let fps drop before they give up?

I'm playing at 3 fps with 150 sitizens right now. It's actually nice cause I have to finish my paper and I really need something to do in the game once in a few hours.
3x3 stairs were a mistake

The building was taller than the sky allowed so no roof.

The last 50 dorfs were a mistake.

The last 44 approved petitions were a mistake for me
What's your embark size? I'm on a 3x3

I'm hunting down gobbo who hijacked king title, so I need a rank of Metropolis.
I guess you misquoted. 5x5, anything smaller feels too tight.

I play exclusively 5x5 now too

So I sent out my squads against the foe, and sealed the gate. All of my militia died, but my civilians were safe behind the gates (or so I thought). Then it seems fighting had erupted in the tavern. The guests and my dwarves had started killing either other. Sounds like a tantrum spiral of sorts, but like one of the first I've had. I couldn't make the details out exactly but it seemed like mostly the outsider tavern guests were attacking my dwarves. So any idea why this happened?

My last fort was a 4x4 embark at 200 population. Very few visitors though. FPS was 25+ to 40 at most times

Just had another random outbreak too, I'm on a reanimating embark though, 4 ghosts and 7 dead total (only a few from brawls), just about to hit year 2

That would also allow us to, once and for all, test whether dragonfire can melt steel drawbridges.

>I'm hunting down gobbo who hijacked king title
You're gonna have to hunt down his entire family, as well. The king position is inherited through dynasties.

I tend to do weird shaped embarks and mostly play adventure mode with my larger tilesets. 1x2 or 2x4 is my jam.

I did that with a 3x3 because it was a reclaim fort so I could get the human queen to move to my fort. It wasn't so bad while it stayed above 20 FPS but then the yearly "zombies punching wildlife" party would start up and it would start flickering down under 10 FPS until I could get the Siegebreaker back upstairs to clear them out.

Fuck. Is there any chance he will bring some relatives along?

Not much, but if all you want is to kill him you're playing the wrong mode.

Myself I was always curious about how some of that shit happens.

This guy was the king of my civ, in a site undergoing an insurrection against the occupying force (he was fighting against the occupation btw), a goblin, and as you can see his name is in elfspeak. How?

>goblin bard petitions for long-term residency
>begins crying in the middle of the office
>send my axe lord to cure all his ills

Yeah, but I really have no time to spend on learning adventure mode, maybe later if he won't come himself.