/rlg/ - Rougelike General

Crawl 0.18 "Beta": crawl.develz.org/wordpress/0-18-release-tournament
Crawl 0.18 Tournament starts May 6: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/source/dat/clua/autofight.lua
pastebin.com/1myanDir
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wow i uploaded a thumnail, im retart

rlg/ - Rougelike General - Thumbnail Edition

Great laff m8

>good ambush.jpg (3 KB, 125x101)
now, im giggling

>...of all time.jpg

ghahaha you got me giggling too

OP's character must have been a klackon

Formicid Edition
Rev up them large shields and 3swords boys.

>Not firing your 3xbow from behind your LARGE SHIELD
TWO GREAT BIG BLOODY HANDFULS FOR THESE BUGGAS

I have a +6 ice dragon armour and just found a pearl one +0 for 1600 gold. Should i buy it?

>be me
>invincible Minotaur Fighter
>Elder of The Shining One
>16 skill in Long Blades
>+3 Flaming Scimitar
>10 skill in Armor, Shield
>Wrapped in plate and tower shield
>Mutated larger horns
>two-shotting hydras in lair
>get to lair 4
>pack of Death Yaks
>might, haste, divine shield
>heh. nothing personnel
>*blinks behind yak*
>mfw

The Ice armour has higher AC but Pearl would be better for you.

>start new character on Cata
>it's sunny out
>go loot what I can from my shelter, and promptly set out for adventure
>starts raining almost as soon as I get out of view of the shelter I just left
EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. Is there any way to influence/adjust the weather patterns? Because I'm so fucking sick of it raining for like half the fucking game. Plus, later on once I get myself set up, the rain is basically free drinking water so I never have to worry about thirst ever again, so it might as well only exist during the beginning part of the game.

best thread

>fighting more than 1 dyak at a time
>ever
Around yaks, watch your back.

i was prepared
thanks to vampire convict guy
i knew

Wait, that isn't the right one. Why do I have so many MGR filenames?

Rain isn't even that bad. The morale malus wears off really quickly, the free water is immediately accessible, and it really isn't that hard to mitigate whatever penalties rain confers just by wearing a jacket.

How do you play as a ring? Whenever I glitter it always attracts some street urchin (with no attacks) so my only option is to suicide into a monster and hope it puts me on but they always notice that I'm cursed and kill me.

The worst part about rain is that it ruins molotov spam

I haven't actually use molly's in the longest time. I just set whole buildings on fire to drop them on problematic zombies.

>You have been poisoned
>--more--
>You have been more poisoned.
>--more--
>--more--
>--more--
>--more--
>--more--
I fucking get it.
is there a setting to auto---more--

I went exploring in the rain once on the edge of town. As I approached one of the houses on the outskirt, a corrosive zombie popped out from around the edge of LOS. He was too close to me once I spotted him to run or hide because for whatever reason all the zombies that will kill you if you can't run away are always faster than you if you have slower than 100 move speed, so I had to stand and fight with my freshly crafted molotov cocktails. I attempted to light the molotov, but it was extinguished immediately after. Fuck. Hoping that it was just some percentage chance to extinguish while it's raining, I tried to light it again. Nope. I can light a single piece of thread on fire, in the rain, under a zombie's ass and watch him burn to death to it while tanking his blows but somehow lighting a relatively large rag soaked in a highly flammable substance is extinguished with 100% certainty after a single turn. At this point the piece of shit corrosive zombie started flinging his high damage 100% accuracy bullshit at me through some of his fellow meatshields, and the speed malus from pain started to stack quickly. Only the molotov could have saved me from the moment I spotted the fucker, but there was still hope, if only my character could keep the molotov lit for a single turn. But no. 100 speed turned to 50 speed turned to 25 speed, then gg. So fuck you and fuck your rain. Pools and water tiles in general have infinite free water too and you don't have to craft fucking funnels or wait around forever to access it. Rain is shit tier, and it's not because of the morale penalty

>this newb is going to win after his first run while vampire convict guy has never won after hundreds of attempts

You didn't have any melee? You didn't juke him and sprint away? Why are you moving so slowly? Is your dodge skill 0?

>You didn't juke him and sprint away?
what does this mean, how do you juke
Anyway I know it was my fault because I didn't take a safer approach toward the building so when he popped out from around the corner of the building he was pretty close, and I had some leg encumbrance and residual pain that slowed me down a little, so when I initially tried to run he was gaining on me. It was a ranged character but I hadn't found any guns, only bows which are kinda shit now. I just didn't notice the rain and don't remember the rain extinguishing molotovs

>are always faster than you if you have slower than 100 move speed
Did you forget to actually run and just tried to walk away or did you, for some reason, tried to rush into a zombie-infested area with no stamina?

how do you run
Isn't that in the experimental build only?

You can hit " to sprint away at the cost of stamina.

Only play experimentals. The stable is obnoxiously outdated.

which game

share dcss macros, please

Stone soup, sorry.
I'm just butthurt because I'm bad.

* -> za.
/ -> zb.
- -> o
s -> '
spellcaster o-tabbing with numpad only
weapon swap moved from ' to s

it's not even a --more-- by default, you set that in your rc file

just find the bit with force_more_message += "you are (more )?poisoned and delete it

so apparently you can sprint in version 0.C
which would trivialize a ton of encounters holy shit

tab is a lua script, does that count

>numpad
leave this place and never return

I'm not sure I understand.
What's wrong with using tenkey?

>tab is a LUA script
ok I'm curious

github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/source/dat/clua/autofight.lua

originally it wasn't enabled by default and you had to specifically add a line to your config file to load autofight.lua

>see this on dcss main page
>looks kinda cool
>decide to roll edgelord gargoyle of yredelemnul
>gargoyles can't even worship yredelemnul
What a load of kobold shit.

>made out of stone
>wants to worship a god that hates all unliving creatures

Worship dith for max edge.

So how did you get into RLs?
What was your first RL?
What do you like about RLs?
What is your favourite RL?
What is your least favourite RL?
What other genres do you like?

Thought Dredmor looked neat.
Dredmor.
The choices required of the player to make short term and long term decisions based on current gear, synergy and making hedges on how to improve your build based on what you could find.
DCSS
I dislike content heavy *bands and I'm not a big fan of *hacks.
CUHRAZY action games, and ARPGS like the souls games. I'm really into fire emblem as well.

What about you, bump user?

I dreamed that in dank ninja's server you could see the conducts of a dude in the high score
And then, just when I was going to win, I saved and went to bed. The server told me that there were no free spaces left because I had used them all since every single place in the high score was mine
So it deleted my save

It was a horrible dream
I don't want to dream that anymore
I will get a 11 conduct win, I'll ho in the notable nethack players page and I'll finally be happy.

>So how did you get into RLs?
I played Azure Dreams on real Playstation console, several years later googled the wiki page, and found the genre was roguelike.

>What was your first RL?
Azure Dreams

>What do you like about RLs?
Dating sims, anime girls, perma death, replayability.

>What is your favourite RL?
Azure Dreams

>What is your least favourite RL?
Crawl

>What other genres do you like?
Tactics RPG

I'll kill for open source Azure Dreams game. Imagine :
>100+ girls to date
>100+ NPC with tons of quest
>multiple towns
>multiple towers
>tons of new item
>story
>open source
>update
>balanced

Why the fuck no one makes it yet ?

I saw ToME on sale on the steam store in a four pack for like 4 bucks and bought it for me and my friends.
ToME
I like alot about roguelike's but probably the thing i like the most is the uniqueness in runs and characters. i feel like each character is their own different character each run. its a personality depth that i really enjoy. plus the tactical gameplay.
My favorite RL bounces around some depending on what i'm playing at the time but probably ToME or Poschengband. i just love how much content they have.
least favorite that i've played... hmmm... i actually don't know that i've played one i didn't like at least a bit. I guess Sword of Stars: the pit wasn't all that interesting the couple runs i tried on it.
I like lots of genre's of games but things with tactical gameplay, good difficulty, and lots of character variety are typically the ones i go for.

glitter to get some town dork
go stand on a stair tile somewhere for safety purposes
dismount the town dork (and at your option, also unsummon him entirely) using the 'p'ets menu
glitter for something that's not a town monster

oh and imo you really need a lot of charisma, probably even slightly moreso than intelligence, so you can control your ringbearers. Watch out, unique bearers get saving throw chances 10x as frequently as nonuniques.

Memes.

One-handed crawl mostly

M:\{-255}
A:c

M:\{-250}
A:e

M:*
A:5

M:+
A:Y

M:-
A:N

M:/
A:\{9}o

Most underrated roguelike? Or, if you prefer, relatively unknown roguelike you think everyone should try.

This unicorn forgot its alignment! But on the bright side, eating spider corpses finally gave me poison resistance, yay!

The roguelike you love.

rogue

A little late to reply since I made some food but thanks for the advice, I've been rolling high int scores instead of cha.

demon

rougelike

Trying to make a macro for crawl that finds the nearest stairs and goes down/up it

M:-
A:X>\{13}>

bugs out and only enters map mode and then goes to a seemingly-random location on the map.

Any ideas to fix this?

I just found an almost entirely functional main battle tank and have decided that that I must make it into my base. The only parts that are broken are the treads. All 20 tiles of them. I need caterpillar treads to fix them and a repair skill of 7, neither of which I have. So I'm thinking I just remove them and replace them with the 20 biggest wheels I can scavenge around the city. Will it work?

Wayward.

In CDDA, if that wasn't obvious.

>So how did you get into RLs?
Tabletop RPG's led to finding Nethack jokes mixed in with D&D jokes.
>What was your first RL?
Nethack
>What do you like about RLs?
Replayability. Randomness. Exploration and discovery. Permadeath. How they are free and run on toasters. But mainly replayability. Most games I can't fathom playing more than once.
>What is your favourite RL?
Demon. It may still be in early development but it's very user friendly while still being brutal. Plus, making a team of mythological hybrids is just fantastic, lore and mechanics wise.
>What is your least favourite RL?
ADoM. Unfriendly UI, a bunch of nonintuitive nonsense like 'food preservation' and 'bridge building' as skills, and even when I wasn't dying to door traps and starvation, I didn't find combat of much tactical interest.

Cataclysm sucks as soon as survival got mastered and the boring wasteland of furry triviality revealed itself.

Also not really a fan of older RLs anymore. They had their time, but frankly the spoileriffic and grindan' elements killed them for me, and the general bad UI buried them.

>What other genres do you like?
Shooters can be alright, but I prefer Borderlands and Bioshock to Call of Duty- I'm there for the world and weird powers, not the PvP.

Fighting games are fun but I'm 'buttonmashing noob' tier.

Strategy wargames I like, but not in real-time. Dominions 4, not Starcraft.

Bloodborne was 10/10 for me (hell, Chalice Dungeons were almost a roguelike experience). I guess that's an action/adventure game? Actual RPGs tend to be too much cutscene, not enough game for me- I wanna do gamey things, if I wanted a movie/novel I would consume one.

Be sure to upboat and subscribe to my blog

DCSS from fuck knows what when I was like, damn, twelve or so. I played a ton of gladiators but didn't realize scrolls did shit. There was only ACSII then, and I don't think I really got what everything was or how to examine shit, either. I got my first win at fourteen, a MfSk. Good times.

I like that they're so anti-spoonfeeding, I loathe just how unstimulating many games are in comparison - a quality roguelike can usually hold my attention for hours, unlike other games. I don't know, I like the community, I like the "try again, better yourself as a player" - mentality, it's very refreshing, very uplifting.

It's a shared spot between Sil, Infra Arcana and UnrealWorld, with UrW being my top favorite and Crawl my most played.

I don't have a least favorite, really - they all have merits. The one I play the least are *bands and *hacks, but that's just from a lack of trying.

I really enjoy strategy games, and roleplaying games. Think Master of Magic, Sunless Sea, Dominions, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or Rimworld.

I'm playing crawl. XL 21, 2 runes collected, tried first level of vaults and got wrecked, tried first 2 levels of depths and got wrecked. Did I spec so wrong it's the end? I have ~20 in polearms, fighting, armor and dodging, leveled str and dex equally, so I don't really understand why I can't even 1v1 tab fucking emperor scorpions without potions. It also kinda escape me how people get 40+ AC with 30+ EV at this point on screenshots, I only got 25 AC and 15 EV.

Well I would guess yeah since vehicle physics in that game are pretty lenient. I've never really bothered with tanks before so I wouldn't know.

There's the girl that stole all my money! Unfortunately I'd get stomped if I were to fight her now, though.

Demon

I tried it out after ponyposter admitted they were samefagging and shitposting it whenever it came up, and it was really unique. Kinda reminded me of DoomRL i how it takes a non-roguelike concept but then pulls it off.

Though I understand some people dislike the 'squad of customized demons' instead of 'lone unstoppable badass @'

I agree, they made vaults and depths a shitshow to add challenge for already spoiled players, but it just makes it really tough with a sub-optimal build or as a new player. And my defenses always end up shit, or I have to go balls deep in armor/dodging and have ineffectual attacks. Are you playing online? Someone could help give guidance. Post a chardump on pastebin

Well, I'm going to try. I'll report back. Probably won't finish until tomorrow, scouring the city for wheels and getting them back to the tank is a lot of work. Luckily I've cleared most of the z's already, though.

>I tried it out after ponyposter admitted they were samefagging and shitposting it whenever it came up
That's mememore. Get your threadhistory right you cis scum

Sure
Wheel requirements are very easy to meet right now, despite nerfs. You only really need 4 wheels and center of mass between them.

Wha? Only 4? Is there any size requirement?

Nearly unnoticeable. Anything bigger than casters will do.
But it will be unbearably slow if they're too small.

Thanks, good to know.
Now I'm tempted to put scooter wheels on it just for the giggles.

XOM PLS

I've just realized that dynahack has an option: "seduction" that you can turn off to add the celibate conduct! No more imperfect 11-conduct run, I can toggle that to have a perfectly rounded 12 conduct run! Of course it doesn't come out on the deathscreen, but neither does spell-less, which I enforce by sitting on an antimagic trap and not learning a spell except at the start of the game that I can use to confuse myself in case I need it.
Foocubi aren't even that useful when I get the guards rolling. At best they can give me a free level, but I can farm potions of gain level easily!
I can feel it, dream or no dream this run will be the one.

Dumb question but what game is this? Nethack? I looks like dynahack but i don't think it is.

What's determines whether you need 2 or 4 wheels minimum? Motorcycles only need 2 wheels to run.

Slash'em extended.

I'm not playing online, but if you want to read all this shit, here's a pastebin: pastebin.com/1myanDir

The minimum is always 2, but center of weight must be between them, meaning it's harder to do with just 2 if your vehicle is wide.
Not sure if diagonal wheels "cover" the line between them or the entire bounding box.

Thanks user. How's it compare to dynahack? Dynahack's the *hack i've been playing. first one i've tried. i'm liking it so far

You haven't found any ego/artifact auxiliary armors yet? Definitely identify that artifact amulet (you don't need resist mut), and the invis wand. You can use the invis wand to buff yourself before a tough battle; you have 9 recharging scrolls so that wand should last you a while. It might be time to start leveling evocations now to give you some more options and make your wands, rods, and miscellaneous items like the stone of tremors or phial floods more powerful. You should be able to handle vaults I think, just try to lure enemies back to safe areas if you're having trouble.

>not using numpad
>2010+6

I never got the vikeys fanatics, it might make more sense on a enUS keyboard setup
but I'll stay with my glorious numpad as it is

It's a complete trainwreck, but there are a lot of playable roles and races. There's probably no adequate description for it though, so the best way to see the differences would be to try out both and compare.

> You haven't found any ego/artifact auxiliary armors yet?
I haven't found any good armor at all. Out of my 4 other randarts 2 were cursed with big negative stuff and 2 were useless for my build. I haven't even found a single helmet yet, only 3 hats. Wishing for armors on 4 scrolls gave shit all 4 times. Really pissed about that, as well.
> you don't need resist mut
Really? There are lots of ugly and very ugly things and they are radioactive.
> You can use the invis wand to buff yourself before a tough battle
I haven't realized that seeing invisible negates the negative effects of self-invisibility, good call.

Overall I think I will just continue the Vaults until I can get a storm dragon hide, and check my treasure trove as soon as that happens (I have all 3 of uprade scrolls for the hide). This is the first time I've gotten so far and I'm getting a bit nervous.

Actually now that I think about it, I started without a pet, which qualifies me for the petless conduct, also! Which makes me sit at 13 conducts.
Man, I'm ammassing a number of ragtag conducts here.

It's uh
Uuuuuuh
I personally wouldn't recommend it. Too much is just too much. There's a darting butt trap though! That one's fun.

>the sexy butt farts. You're confused!

The player can even use #monster to fart if they're polymorphed into an appropriate monster!

If you wish for a staff and you have some levels in evocations, you'll get a rod which you can use, and trog won't be mad at you.

Ugly things can't mutate you, you only really need resist mutation for slime pits and zot.

Yea if you see invis you won't get that accuracy penalty or whatever for being invisible. If the enemies see invisible, then hitting yourself with invisibility won't help you at all obviously, although if you're fighting a big group of mixed enemies it can take some of the heat off of yourself as you burst down the most dangerous things.

Anyway I'd definitely focus on getting evocation set up, and using your rod (whatever it is) or attack wands to help hurt your enemies before engaging.

You could also do a winless conduct

Nimloth just decided to be a pair of gloves now. They also cannot be taken off even if they are uncursed.

I'm already doing that! I've never won a *hack before, so that also qualifies as winless, or "YAFAP"! Isn't this exciting? Aren't you excited because I'm so excited I've never been so excited except that time I got that +8 cloak of displacement and invisibility and clarvoyance and I was like "WOOOOOOOOOOOAH"
But I mean Really, who could top that?

Anyone know where I can find a complete level feeling listing for poschengband?

Well you better win before the 0.18 tournament because we're gonna be playing MUMO MOTHERFUCKER

> Ugly things can't mutate you
Weird, what does "glowing with mutagenic radiation" means then? Something already mutated me once (-MP so don't care but still) before dungeon:15 where I bought the resist mutation amulet.
> identify that artifact amulet
I didn't even realize it was artifact, lol. Turned out to be ward +3 str +dex rN+ -3 int, thank you for advice. Guess I have to swap for a sustainAb ring to not die of stupidity now.

>find a glaive of gondolin
>well Ill take polearm mastery
>+1,2d6 mithril longsword of gondolin with perfect weight in the next room
RNG please

OOOH MuMo is a lot of fun
I got to zot once holy shit that was tense. I was literally sweating bullets! I wouldn't recommend that kind of stress to anyone. MuMo pre-zot is the greatest amount of fun you'll ever have in dcss, I hope you have fun!

>glowing with mutagenic radiation
Pretty sure this means they're just changing colors. And yea that's a pretty good artifact. For vaults, the most important thing is probably exploring carefully. Don't use autoexplore because you'll just end up deep in unexplored territory and get yourself surrounded. Try to lure packs of enemies back to a safe, explored area if possible. And don't go into vaults:5.