Hello Veeky Forums what books can you recommend me to get into ancient roman history?

Hello Veeky Forums what books can you recommend me to get into ancient roman history?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/World-Late-Antiquity-150-750-Civilization/dp/0393958035
barnesandnoble.com/mobile/p/fall-of-the-roman-empire-peter-heather/1005789237/2674505057821?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace Shopping Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP20419&k_clickid=3x20419
pastebin.com/ibgv0LH6
pastebin.com/iiyMSsDP
pastebin.com/PN4dRtGe
pastebin.com/89cTwfpD
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pls Veeky Forums im going to a uni library in another city tomorrow so i need to know asap :3

bump

Bump

overview

europe by norman davies

he gives a fresh, brief perspective on it

Polybius' Histories and Ab Urbe Condita Libri by Livy

do you want actual history or books like the Odyssey, Virgil ect

Anyone of these really

Goldsworthy is really good for getting into this kind of stuff, very readable style without being a complete bullshitter.

Anyone have any recommendations for books on Roman daily life?

Rome: Empire of Eagles is the Roman history assigned book today. Read that

amazon.com/World-Late-Antiquity-150-750-Civilization/dp/0393958035 if you want late antiquity and barnesandnoble.com/mobile/p/fall-of-the-roman-empire-peter-heather/1005789237/2674505057821?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace Shopping Textbooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP20419&k_clickid=3x20419 great book that has a lot of info and all the causes that created the Roman Empire to fall.

Heard Flames of Rome is pretty good

Tom Holland Rubicon.

Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire

Some books like these.

Tom Holland basically just lies

Academically sound literature (is that a thing? Im a stemfag so dont know much about humanities' curriculum). Just like one would get in their undergraduate studies for instance

Thx. Should I start with the Greeks though (you know that equivalent pic)?

Actual history about SPQR, the empire, leaders, politics, military etc

Dank. I'm jelly

I'd recommend this but it's in Dutch

A simple intro
romulus by jacob abbott

Not introduction but a must read

Ik ben Nederlands top koek

Populist as fuck.

The Romans: From Village to Empire - Talbert et al

>A very good, lucid survey of Roman history from the earliest times to the time of Constantine, paying significant attention to the sources.

Ancient Rome: A New History - Potter
>A broad (and lavishly illustrated) account of Roman history from the foundation of the city to the Arab conquest that draws on much recent scholarship.

Primary Source:

The Histories - Polybius
The History of Rome - Livy
The Catiline Conspiracy; The Jugurthine War - Sallust
The Gallic War; The Civil War - Julius Caesar
The Histores; The Annals; Agricola; Germanica - Tacitus
Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius

Here are the bibliographies

Roman Empire
pastebin.com/ibgv0LH6

Roman Army
pastebin.com/iiyMSsDP

Roman Cities
pastebin.com/PN4dRtGe

Roman Art
pastebin.com/89cTwfpD

Is there a site where all of these bibliographies can be accessed?

Are they copies of oxford bibs?

>no Cicero
>no Valerius Maximus
>no Apuleius
>no Plinius the Elder or Younger
>no Quintillian
>no Ammianus Marcellinus
>no Zosimus
>no Sidonius Apollonaris
>no Boethius
>no Priscus
>literally just posting stuff that Victorian scholars thought was great and ignoring everything else

>hey guys check out all the literary figures I can namedrop

Read the OP dipshit. Key words: "get into".

We have a pastebin with a bunch of bibliographies
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

Yes, they're from Oxford

Sometimes, even if you cannot view the whole bibliography on Oxford's website, you can see enough introductory books to get yourself the Golden Recent Best Single Volume work that covers most the whole topic and is the only one you'll likely read cover to cover...

>pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

Very nice. Cheers for that.

Mary Beard's latest "SPQR" is idiosyncratic, but a good starting place.

Robin Lane Fox's "The Classical World"

Adrian Goldsworthy's bios of Caesar & Augustus

Well when they're looking for introductions, I included them.

I am not gonna recommend primary sources as starting out material, that's such a stupid notion that the pseudo-ints like to do to impress the unknowing. Shit like that is why plebs think Theodora liked getting fucked in the nipple, or Caligula being an absolute madman, thanks to shit readings of Tacitus or Prokopios.
Populist books are legitimately good places to start, and they are easily accessible due to being in print at any Barnes and Nobles, versus a text from the 1960's that was published at a university.

>reading marxist interpretations as a starting point for historical societies

You wot m8

The guy can't get into Roman history without reading half of the list I just posted. Cicero's letters, the Golden Ass, Pliny's Letters, Ammianus Marcellinus and Zosimus for the final years of the empire etc. They're not even obscure, Ammianus for example is considered second only to Tacitus as the greatest Latin historian. Don't be a nigger and only recommend the bare minimum, the guy said he didn't want to be spoonfed the easy shit.