/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Congrats to user for a 13-conduct dynahack win!

Crawl 0.18 "Beta": crawl.develz.org/wordpress/0-18-release-tournament
Crawl 0.18 Tournament starts May 6: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.18/

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>misspelling rouge
>no cum in the OP

this is the wrong thread

I say this is the good one.
The other two have cum in them.

>3 /rlg/'s
The evil that men do.

but cum is good

But I only see two in the catalog.

Someone post the other wizard dyna win too please

The third one is a funny guy that uses "rougelike" like in the old thread.

'Ere you go.

Are either of these items useful for a monk?

Yeah, well mine was first.

In loving memory.
Banes are bad and I don't think monks like body armours too much.

Wearing body armor gives monks -20 to-hit so it's not a real option until very late game.

Also since it's dynahack you don't even know what those scales do, and they'll probably end up being a resist that you already have from being a monk.

Thanks. I'm playing SlashTHEM, if it makes much of a difference.

What do you guys usually give him?

give him a silver saber up the ass

some people suggest using armour and weapons late game as a monk, but it's completely viable to go the whole game without either
for now don't worry about it, just punch bitches

My dream is to dual wield a Grayswandir and a Silver Saber of Frost & Fire and go to town. Orcus Town.

It's completely viable to go weaponless foodless elberethless pacifist, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea for a new player.

It's not really at all optimal, but wishing for the staff of aesculpius early game on a neutral monk is pretty fun.

So nearly a year has passed, and I have finally gathered enough supplies to leave the city.

Yes, it is a really fucking big city. I changed to spawning city to be particularly massive

>find artifact weapon on D:1
>it's a bane

well, maybe it's only good in dynahack, it might have made some changes to unarmed combat that slash'em didn't, but i was completely fine punching stuff and got to -29 AC without body armour, and around -35 with the protection spell
monk actually seems like a great role for new players since you don't need to worry about weapon or armour choice

>No double layers
>tiles

>using cataclysm ASCII

i love ASCII on most games but cataclysm ASCII color scheme is fucking awful and tuning it is not worth the effort, tiles are fine

tiles are too big, cataclysm viewdistance is fuckhuge and you can barely see any of it

this is also why doomrl tiles are bad. instead of fitting the whole level in a console window you have to scroll around to see shit

that's a good point desu

feature request: cloak of displacement increases chance to succesfully displace your pet

Rejected. While this feature is based on a pun, it is not identifiably a Monty Python or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.

The color scheme is pretty meh, but otherwise it has solid ASCII. It doesn't bother me like poscheng's.

Nah, it's mostly a vanilla thing, as you can use a magic lamp to get it early game instead of having to wait until the castle in dynahack. Like I said, it's mostly for messing around and having fun, since if you are willing to wish for artifacts, the orb of fate or eye of the aethiopica are far stronger choices.

re: cataclysm, does anyone play with WANDER SPAWNS enabled? how do you like them?

farewell

>this fucking rng

>base damage: 10

INTO THE TRASH

The ONE DAY I'm not on /rlg/ constantly and ponyposter finally wins a convict

Did they delete the thread with the win?

It's better than anything I have right now though.

Previous Thread:

Remember always friend.
The best weapon is the one you keep in your enemy's heart.

Well said.

Wander spawns are pretty awful most of the time. You end up with mobs that'll bust down buildings, spawn right next to you and generally stop anything you want to do by constantly tricking into your LoS.

I wonder how often this happens

I used to think it was a fucked-by-RNG OoD spawn but I see it happening often enough that I wonder if they're actually supposed to spawn that early, just more rarely.

Three hoorrays for rF-

Funny, I had the same thing happen to my GrWz earlier today.

Reposting.
If anyone wants to join a no-pressure, take-it-easy clan for the upcoming tourny, just add the line
# TEAMCAPTAIN nikheizen
to the top of your rc file and respond to this post with your crawl username.
No level of skill or dedication to play required.

>So nearly a year has passed, and I have finally gathered enough supplies to leave the city.
As in enough supplies to fight your way out or enough to survive without looting the city?

is this the mumo clan

>You'll know eternity soon
>Burns you terribly
>You die...
Damn, Sigmund is one cold motherfucker.

Not specifically, no.

help

Josefromcouch. I hope I can keep up with you guys.

Oh and I should mention its your 0.18 rc file.

2 chains nigga

>pick up a cloak of invisibility
My SpEn is officially twinked
splat inc

Everything was going great until the fire ants attacked. Though of course it was the steam that did me in.

I think I'm going to try out a ranged true man next. Just need to figure out what the best starting stats are.

ID those pots you dumb spen.

I'm not at the end of the floor yet user

You ID stuff at the end of the floor? Why? I'm genuinely curious, I've never heard of someone doing that in crawl.

autism, I guess?
I couldn't say, I just hold onto pots and ID scrolls until end of floor, use the ID scrolls on something I think could be cursed if I happen across it and I don't have a remove curse scroll.
also I'm still new, haven't won yet but I did get really close

Ah what the heck, I'm in for the MuMo team if we're making one.

i don't see any reason not to immediately read an ID scroll, as long as you have something unknown
credentials: i beat the game as a minotaur berserker (very difficult starting combination) with a no spellcasting conduct

You're the team leader farn
You won 13-conduct VpCv

what

I might be new but I have been lurking.
MiBe was my first near-win, I'm aware of Trog's limitations. I'm starting with ez mode combos so I can learn the game and get back into roguelikes
No bully onegai

Well regardless of your identity, ponyposter should be team leader

unless you're dicks

>Everything was going great until the fire ants attacked.

i somehow pissed off the minetown watch
(probably something stormbringer-related, but it might be the cockatrice I accidentally set loose in the town while zapping createmonster on the altar)

if I sacrifice all their corpses to my god will he forgive me for the actual killings?

somewhat related: Is the artifact Grimtooth worth anything in dynahack? apparently in unnethack it's permanently poisoned, but I don't think dyna has that

i only bully if you don't have your tab button tapped down.

apparently Kos is cool with this

net profit: Grimooth, Stormbringer, !!FROST BRAND!!

some say kosm

i have too many weapons now though

I have a dwarvish short sword of telepathy plus Stormbringer and Frostbrand.

Do I even use Stormy? Or just dump it in the magic chest and forget about it?

is... is it possible for things to kill themselves when confused?

no. Something killed the minotaur and its lurking around in that lab. Better get out quick.

also, with minotaur dead am I free to loot the lab?
spooky

wrong fucking neighborhood.jpg

I finally understand the spen meme

sups, I am looking for tips and strategies for "the keeper" from Binding of Isaac, any suggestions?

My suggestion is that you take it to the proper thread.

>he didn't read the pastebin

sokoban 1 doesn't have a magic chest and i am Very Unhappy about this

Playing unreal world, everything going so well...

Robbers stole all of my shit and now I have no motivation to play that character anymore.

What race has the best starting stats for swords or shields? Spears apparently just suck huge dick, even with a masterwork spear and 85% spear skill I still couldn't take down the robbers.

Fucking infuriating.

You should make tons of javelins and learn to throw better in URW. Javelins are cheap to make and they can sometimes kill or incapacitate dudes from one hit.

Good swords and shields are hard to come by.

I was at the point where I was so rich that I could have bought one, but i stuck with a spear because I found a masterwork one.

Should I just have bought a battlesword even if my skill was like 30%?

I dont understand the combat of this game, obviously.

85% with a mastercraft spear and I couldnt even fucking hit the guy,

That was painful on the eyes, but I finally have an upgrade from a 1h spear.

Yeah the combat gets weird if you are not used to it.

Like I said, make a bunch of javelins and soften dudes up before they can get to you. Also, working on your stealth can also help as I think you may get bonuses for sneak attacks.

vaults in 555 get really silly

I'm going to go on a limb here and say you shouldn't try to clear that.
Those uniques are pretty fucking serious business.

I guess it is time to go down Angband - although I need to hit level 50 first.

Yeah, I am acutely aware how much pain-in-ass Wong is. Cerberus is bit tamer, I still wouldn't want to engage him that open.

>regular jabberwocks
user no

I don't think I get how much damage I'm dealing with my stabs in crawl. Is this correct?

>(Damage+Bonus[Capped at 30])*Multiplier
>(Damage+30)*((12 + ((stealth skill + weapon skill) / 2) / {stab bonus}) / 12)
>24 DEX, 15 Stealth, 10 Short Blades, +6 Dagger (base 4 + 6 = 10), enemy is sleeping (1)
>(40)*((12 + ((15 + 10) / 2) / 1) / 12)
>81.666...
So I stab a sleeping enemy for 81 damage?
That seems kind of low.

Nah
I don't wanna
You guys keep playing dcss without me I'm trying to find a way to reach 15 conducts.

Always. The ground is too soft without them.

Yeah there is a single layout where it doesn't have a chest. I'd report it in github, but apparently there's an even bigger problem that doesn't Let you LOAD YOUR SAVE on Windows XP offline (or probably in Windows in General but I'm still using xp) so if you save you can't go back. I pointed that one out a month ago but since rung stepped down the Github is a barren wasteland.

nevermind, learndb tells me that Death Yaks have up to 96 HP and that makes 81 feel about right.
I'm still not confident I'm doing it right though.
crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=stabbing

When injured or surrounded, your effective skills drop greatly. Find a chokepoint of some kind (those tent-things are really good for this, especially since no one can shoot you while you're in there) and hide there while they come at you one-by-one. After a certain point they'll start to loot the bodies midcombat, allowing you several free shots.

Target suggestions:
>literally anything you're guaranteed to hit and damage because any injury whatsoever is a stacking debuff
>arms/shoulders because it makes them drop their weapon and they spend 2 turns wielding it again during which they will not attack
>legs because it makes them fall prone, and needs 3 turns to get back up (they may still attack you though which is why arms are better)
>head because it may knock them out, allowing you to kill at your leisure
>body because when they're unconscious you can just stab them in the heart and be done with it.

>spot orcs with priest on d:3
>use abyss blink
>5 tiles to stairs down
>an orc kills me with 2 shots from acid wand
I don't understand why the devs and players try to push "fair game" memo about Crawl, there's assload of cases where none of your options are correct. As much shit ToME is, at least it aknowledges its imperfection by having Adventure mode set to default. I wouldn't even mind randumb deaths, but devs removed everything that was fun about Crawl, there're no reasons to play new versions when you can just launch a generic diablolike videogames and have more fun.

MenacingMecha