pastebin.com/SuXCN3pf
Other useful resources
pastebin.com/TyAHmtW4

[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List

Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!

Done with their part:
- RPG Maker Maker !!nHmJbtdk7T2
- Cortop !QqL8nX9URE
- Duwang !yP15zzo8dA
- MEands !!sbyw5zs4GtT
- Alexander Guy !swIUti/LTA
- salt !AOUYhrDYgU
- Double user !WAnon.pOpQ
- Crunch !I1tYcLS8Ts
- Comp !MEJ8qE/3h
- Silent Maid
- Joakim Morgen !!4elh6dhvavq
- W.T.Dinner !LTqeha3bQk
- Firgof !aFqhsxkECQ

Currently working:
Silent Maid !ztOzYBnEEw

Version 12: mediafire.com/download/4fgjv2fucr51c3r/rpgmgcollab_v12.exe

Other urls found in this thread:

archeia.leafo.net/downloads/rm2k3FontFix.rar
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/neurosis
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/random-ambiance-7519
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/forgotten-memories
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButThouMust
forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/35525-slay-the-dragon/
youtube.com/watch?v=s28lq9ylfoM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous thread:

For the sake of discussion and not killing the thread, show off or name some games with good maps?

FF6

Mana games. Esp. Seiken Densetsu 3.

I'm in a bit of a pickle: I'm trying to play some rpgm2k3 games, but the fonts are messed up. I remember there being a font patch, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it. Could someone post it? Or any other workaround?
Thanks, dudes.

So here is a horror RPG atmosphere test. Relying heavily on bloodborne style sound and graphics

>atmosphere features
Terrax lighting system
Emittable sound system
Item descriptions a la form soft

>main goals
Creepy atmosphere without being cheesy
Item descriptions / lore notes to be able to "get into it"
Trying to use lighting and sound system to its full potential

Please let me know how the attempt feels.

filedropper d o t c o m slash graphics

Looking to complete this project in MV. Main plot involves duelists going into people's subconscious to cleanse them of negativity and launch manking into an evolved state. Something pretentious like that.

Bumperino for p o d c a s t d a y

Who hype here?

bump

Never mind, I found a fix. If someone else needs it, you can download what you need here: archeia.leafo.net/downloads/rm2k3FontFix.rar

It's pretty spooky. I didn't notice any emittable sounds, though. Where were they meant to happen? I liked the way the notes were glowing, it made them look kinda ominous, also the swamp maps were good.
Only thing that spoiled it was the big eyed, anime sprites. But if you're just going for a horror flavored rpg, it's works okay. Also, you'll want to delete the auto shadows, because they are inconsistent with the lighting system.

Nice work. I'd be up for playing a spooky rpg.

Bump

>SD3
This, more than any other SNES game by far. The tiling's ridiculously well-done.

Anyway, I'm officially a NEET, full-time devin. o/

>New podcast is out
Well now I have something to listen to on my morning walk.

Who /lesbiankoalas/ here?

Thank you very much for your feedback! I'm glad you got spooked. Some sounds like the growling ghouls or the woman's corpse were supposed to be louder the closer you got to them. I'll try to make a better use of the system in the future.

I apologize for my droning on and on in advance.

Emergency bump

What is the /rpgmg/p for if not vaguely topical ramblings?

Seriously tho, I get a lot of thinking done on my morning walks, and listening to you guys talk about game narrative helped me settle on some of the details of mine.

Bumping with a question.
Where can I find some Japanese themed character sets that mesh well with the RTP? Even the Samurai pack uses a completely different pallete and shading style so it doesn't mix well.

I want to make a pokemonesque battle system and was wondering if its possible to use enemy graphics instead of the svactor sprite sheet during battle

I only just figured out this is supposed to be a table.
I've been using it for walls the entire time.

You know, something I've noticed is that the more popular horror games (ib, the witch's house, etc) have realistic-proportioned sprites, or at the very least make them tall and thin. I think it's because taller characters go against the "short and cute" vibe the stock RTP give off. Just a thought.

Pic related is ib, notice how thin the guy is?

Overwatch open beta is gonna be the death of my productivity this week

You may be onto something.
These sprites are much more realistic and while it's more work animations look much better.
Something I should consider for my upcoming project.

Bump

Ded thread.

We all are just working very hard

So part of my game involves the party retrieving and securing powerful items. For example, a ring that gives mana shield, a heart that gives HP regen, a locket that makes spells free. They will have to turn the items in to progress the story, but I an wondering what the best way to prevent grinding with the items is.
#1 key item hand wave, the player is not allowed to actually use the items.
#2 Limit monster spawns while the party has the item.
#3 cap level progression and raise the cap as the story progresses.

#1 seems the simplest to do, but I want the player to get a feel for how good the items are, and how strong they would be if used together for later in the game.
Any thoughts on this?

Give them a no experience effect?

That is another option to consider.

To expand on this, they're very powerful items by nature, right? Where do they draw their power from? Maybe from their users? Maybe they're so tiring to use, or make spellcasting so effortless or something, that their users simply won't be able to learn much at all while they're equipped.

Instead of killing EXP gains by 100%, kill them by 90% and give a reasonable explanation. That way it won't feel like you just added it to stop people from grinding.

you could also just curb experience gains naturally
depends on the specifics of your game, but large diminishing returns or straight up no experience from enemies 2 or 3 levels below you could work

by making grinding bad inherently, your players won't have any reason to grind with their new toys without having to give them an exception, but again, that's assuming you're not supporting grinding in general

You're pretty much right. I can still continue my little horror rpg attempt but it would work a lot better with a different style. It don't even need to be taller sprites, just something that's not weaboo oriented.

As much as I enjoy using MV there are some things you just can't achieve with the current limitations. I have to stop borrowing music and audio from other soures and make some myself. That's something to do if the project lives on past the initial stages of doubt I always have.

If done this way, players could grind to play catch-up, but it'd be unfeasible to grind until you're OP for the next area.

Make the item have a certain number of uses. If you want to play with your new toy, you gonna have to plan it first. If you use your magic ring to farm fucking ghouls then expect its power to go away

And then put very sporadic repair beacons so they can get to use it again

I can help you with music if you need it.

true, it'd be something you could metagame around and rush through underleveled from artifact to artifact, though beyond that it doesn't seem to problematic

reducing the experience gained with those items works better as a direct counter to that, even if it feels like it spoils the fun of the item when you're punished for using it specifically instead of for grinding in general

admittedly I tend to get hung up on little game feel type details like that though, in general that solution probably wouldn't bother a lot of players too much, it's probably better overall

Any sort of input or collaboration would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I even have some money I could spend trying to get some resources together for a halfway-decent looking game.

I am very very very interested in "drone" like sounds, ambient sounds, and just atmospheric music. Bloodborne's soothing hymn is a great example. It is the one I used in my little horror atmosphere attempt. I think it's hard to do this because it's so not an rpg thing to do but... I do think it could work.

Something like this?
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/neurosis

Fuck yeah. That's what I'm talking about. The glitch / noise aspect actually made the track super "rich". Unnerving, psychological, good drone material I could combine with decent enough writing to make the player go insane playing the game.

This wouldn't be yours by any chance?

It is.
Here's another one: soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/random-ambiance-7519

This one just pierced my mind. It's driving me insane, I love it.

I shall present you with a demo of greater quality. This feeds my will to try harder and get more quality going. Maybe you'd like some material of yours on it, with some economical compensation. I feel like this is a very real way to support creative people.

Here's one that's more "active":
soundcloud.com/dr-doomsday/forgotten-memories
Anyway, send me an email sometime and I can help you out with more stuff.

email's on the soundcloud page btw

Stop playing Overwatch and continue to work on your game

Thinking of writing some analysis but I was looking into OOT maps and they're pretty neat.

Nice. Been working with great enthusiasm into maps and characters. Your soundcloud persona and more specifically your "come on in" image inspired an NPC i'm developing right now! He's called "der meister" and fills in the role of ambiguous spooky middle aged doctor.

I'm probably gonna email you tonight.

Working with my custom tileset in MV.
Left side is if the whole foreground is a sprite. Works alright? But I think I might want to pull it down from the background and draw the actual stairs part.

Right side is if the sections are broken up. Turns out sprites clip through while moving briefly, but if they stand still it looks fine. Not sufficient.

Still, wondering if I should just parallax map or if I should actually do tilesets.

You could mix and match a bit, that's what I'm doing.

Mix and match tiles and parallax? Sounds crazy, but if looks good and works, I could.

Got any examples you wanna show? Your game or any others.

>the dragon has been defeated
>will you finish him off? Y/N
>Y: "Protag: I can't do it". Dragon runs away while his hand shakes.
>N: Dragon runs away.

You guys better don't do this.

I'm on mobile right now so I don't, but if you make sure your parallax bits match the visual style of the tiles and fit on the tile grid you'll be good.

Has this really happened?

Nah. I don't have many choices but if I do have a choice it's a serious choice, yes would slay the dragon and there would be repercussions for both yes and no.

I mention it because it happened to me yesterday when I was playing SMTII (instead of working on my project ;_; ). Although it was early in the game, and the decision changes your alignment. And it isn't the protag who stops himself, but his friend. Still pretty annoying.

And it is a very common Trope.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButThouMust

I hate stuff like this, either give me a choice or not but this illusion of choice stuff is pretty annoying.

The only time I've seen that sort of thing where it worked, was some bad end in a VN where the protag gets brainwashed.

Great, looking forward to it.

You must have loved fallout 4.

bymp

Don't get me started on this game.
Also captcha is even worse as a nazi right now, god damned

bump

has there been any (recent) games that parodied jrpg cliches? I am thinking of making a game with a lot of fourth wall breaking humor. Would have to keep it from getting too overbearing though.

Evoland comes to mind as one of the more popular ones.

I don't want to discourage you from making the game, but a lot of the indy RPGs go the meta 4th wall humor route because the jokes write themselves.

It's not about making choices; it's about keeping the player engaged.

Granted, the "Y/N" is this case is bad because you read it as an absolute, and it wasn't. If it was "Attempt/Refuse" instead, you'd probably be ok when the character fails.

And that's the thing about RPGs, your choices can fail.
"Stab Orc the back?"
>Roll 20
Perfect kill. He goes down without a sound.
>Roll 0
You failed spectacularly and stabbed your own leg in the process. But you rolled into the bushes and remain undetected.

yeah I get that pretty much every indie developer has thought of making a humorous meta jrpg. but I feel like there is still some potential, or at the very least good practice.

It has definitely been done alot, so try to bring your own style or flavor to it.
Maybe play as a 'villain' who is invoking all the cliches to make a hero who can save the world. Something different.

>If it was "Attempt/Refuse" instead, you'd probably be ok when the character fails.
That's a good point, although it may telegraph to savy players it won't work, you could feed them different instances before where it does sometimes.

Is there a decent enough skill tree plug in for MV in English yet?

No. Although I've heard of a Japanese Hentai Game that mimics a FF10-esque skill tree, by using a map to which the player is teleported after each level up, and a ton of flags.

Is the "Dragons return" thing overplayed? I was gonna have my villain wake the dragons from their hibernation early in a plot to take over the world, but I kinda feel like a lot of games and stories have done the "The dragons have gone away and then return" thing before.

Small progress. Currently working on sprites to replace placeholder RTP weaboo stuff

>removed automatic shadows
>implemented Dr. Doomsday's dark ambent tracks
>went heavy on the nonsensical shit

I hope it spooks someone. Next step is finishing the following maps; into the beyond or the below.

filedropper d0t c0m / spooks

It depends on execution. I am sure it could be reasonably exciting if you come up with an interesting cosmology that explains why the Dragons went to sleep.

Their reproductive cycle involves them retreating deep underground, having a big orgy, laying a ton of eggs, then sleeping the whole thing off while waiting for the eggs to hatch. Once the wait is over the dragons emerge again with a legion of ravenous young to feed.

The villain would start the hatching early and use a magic item to dominate the older dragons to attack populated areas while letting the slightly underdeveloped young run amuck. Part of the rub is if he left them alone they were going to hatch "soon" and ravage the land anyway. His domination item doesn't have complete control over the dragons, just enough to point that at targets.

In this setting dragons are just big, aggressive, non sentient animals. Not some hyper intelligent magic wielding demigods.

bump

Sounds a bit like the plot of a B Horror movie. I would consider:
Coming up with sidekicks for the villain, so they serve as bosses when the Dragons are not providing enough variety.
Or giving the story more of a horror vibe, so you don't focus too much on dragons.

Well that's kinda the big finish to the game, there is plenty going on before that. That's like the final chapter or two.

>Dragons that breed like rabbits and swarm like bees

To be fair, it is on a very very long cycle.

>Dragons that sting you in the eye

bjump

>What if instead of dragons, it was just really fucking huge bees
>or in the dragon den there is this big gross queen dragon

I am so fucking for this.

I may or may not steal that idea for the game.

Same user.
Go for it and here's a present.

What sprang to my mind in connection to this were dragonflies instead of dragons.

The legends are told to speak of dragons, but little do people know that the ancient texts containing these legends were falsely translated.

lol nice undertale art

I like that idea.
Imagine a player getting hyped for fighting against motherfucking dragons but then gets buzzing dragonflies instead

Would also leave ample opportunity to not just bum the player out for not receiving draongs, but to also have the giant dragonflies turn out to be vicious sky scorpions with huge stingers and mandibles.

Or for simple disappointment the party can react to as well.

In novels, yes. In games, not so much dragons as it is hordes of something.

Discuss play styles.
Do you collect coins, or race the clock?
Is there only 1 way to play a rpg?

RIP

forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/35525-slay-the-dragon/

Shameless plug.

Emergency bump

Help me think of a name for my game.

Disastrous Dungeon
Crystal Adventure
Heroes of Dsfargeg

What's your game?

Newest Yanfly plugin:

youtube.com/watch?v=s28lq9ylfoM

COMMON EVENT MENU! There's so much utility you can do with this!

It's about too many things to name.
Which is why I can't come up with a good title.

Man there is a lot to take in with that one. I can see it being very useful, but I also kinda wanna see other examples of uses and layouts for it.