/domg/ - Dominions General

Fun with Friends edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura may or may not be ded.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

First for losing your entire expansion party on turn 3.

2nd for around elves watch yourselves

3rd for ded

>Kissing a ghost
Seems like an exercise in frustration unless you have magic lips and a very low MR.

Lemuria, I hope you're proud for preventing me from doing any real damage to Xibalba with your shenanigans. Remember this moment when you're ass-deep in Ozelotls 100 turns from now.

All I have is my homeplane and a wasteland. You have at least two planes and two wastelands with a shit ton of gem income. We all know who the real number 1 threat is among us. You, snakeman.

Around snakes, tap the brakes.

Around snakes, bring on the snowflakes.

Look, C'tis, I can't very well let you eat Xibalba while I sit on my laurels. And it was YOUR dominion that was slipping, not Mictlan's.

If only there were more AIs near me to eat, my favorite of all foods.

Besides, I'll take being knee deed in Ozzies over being just foot deep in Tarts like I am now.

I like elves

you're lucky I'm at work or I'll out 2hu your 2hu

>out 2hu your 2hu
Impossible.

Are the kangz holocausting you? I haven't got scouts in that part of the map.

I could easily out 2hu you, I promise if I wrekt them I'll show screenshots

Get a room, you weeb fags.

I'll be waiting!

Don't be lewd.

Sauromatia, that was an unfortunate clash (not disastrous for either one of us, though), let's not repeat it. I really want province 15 and I'm going to send a force twice as large as my previous one to take it so please don't go there.

So here's my awake expansion pretender for MA R'lyeh. Is it passable or should I just stick with a Snek?

It looks extremely squishy. Did you test it?

Since C'tis is ignoring ym pelase to come adn parlay how about Caelum? Ca you come to the steam chat friend?

Oh here you are! Fancy a chat?

I want to host a private game among friends. Problem is, we have 6 players, and Hamachi only supports 5. What do?

Anybody have any experience using Tunngle? Or should I try to figure out how to host a llamaserver?

>not dom 9
it's shit

In my experience The Kraken really needs some alteration research (Ironskin and/or Body Ethereal), otherwise it gets completely shredded by Amber Clans and Shark Tribes. Then it can be beastly, but it's not going to help you expand during the first few turns.

You don't need S5 on pretender because as R'lyeh you already have complete astral access, mind you.

Yeah, sure

In the past I've used Dropbox (shared folders), and it worked like a charm.

It's going to die. Remember that it'll probably spend at least four turns in the thick of the melee, during which it'll probably be attacked about ten times per turn, and given its awful defence, it'll be hit by most of them. 13 protection, no regeneration... it's going to die.

Not nearly enough defense. You need Erf Snek level protection, regeneration, awe, or some combination of those.

Needs Dom9 for the awe.

Are you all playing with the same copy of the game?

No, we all have it on Steam.

What's wrong with llamaserver?

I don't know how it works.

I have the dumb.

Very very easily, just try.

Optimal?

A snek with 6+E doesn't even need awe.

I'd aim for Earth 6.

Read the OP.

What's special about E6?

The higher your level of Earth magic, the higher your Defense.

Also, having high Earth is nice for later on in the game.

The more E you have, the more protection you get. With the already high one the snek has, you can avoid taking Dom9.

Also, E3 gets you only hammers, while E6 opens Earth completely. Plus, you snek can become a pretty nice battle-caster

Protection, not Defense.

Sorry.

Use blitzserver!

Hey, what games are recruiting?

FUCKHUEG disciples Steam game.

I have nothing but bad experiences with Disciples games.

Make a new game yourself then. It's ez.

That's not a problem for me. At the same time I'd rather like 27 so if you could leave that one alone for a couple of turns I'd appreciate it.

>cold 3 barf snek
>kills itself/10

If you're playing MA Rlyeh, you either have the uw to yourself, or you need an awake expander to defend against a rush. In the first case, you dont need an awake expander, because you can take the entire ocean without worrying about other players. In the second, erf sneks are terrible against other players, and are far from your best option. They're also coldblooded, you tit.

Dead game, dead thread

Ded nation.

But I'm the biggest

Maybe not the toppest, but definitely the biggest

And no I'm not compensating!

I find the fact that the only argument for you not being the toppest nation is fucking LA Pythium hilarious btw.

>Pythium

But they're weak as shit

I don't fear them at all

The real powerhouses are Agartha and Man

Man has noendgame.

Tried rewatching the big battle on a better comp, whole thing just craps out once I cast Relief.

OP spell that Relief, prevents the two sides from even gaining intel of the battle.

Pythium has 3 gem gen globals, and toppest research if I recall the graphs correctly. Your nation starts to matter much less when the Tarts and shiet beginning popping out.

Tartarians are shit without Gift of Health

Let the babies have their gemmies

He has Mother Oak and there are no other relevant nature powers remaining, if there ever were any.

WTF do you think is coming next, Haunted Forests?

Yes Pyhtium, we sure all are scared of your trees.

xth for I'm too scared to join a multi game even though I think dom is a super neat game

Join an anonymous game then
You don't have to worry about anyone knowing who you actually are if you happen to suck (everyone does)
Just don't be a fag and stale at the slightest hint of opposition, have the decency to fight or at least set yourself AI if you really can't win

How is Points of Light going?

Ulm is being dogpiled. Pan and Man are fighting (I think).

Are you the faggot that chainstaled to death?

No, I'm the faggot that made the mod. Was just curious to see whether it affected the game, esp. as far as machaka, man, xibalba, and TC go. But also the generic changes.

sum1, just get a trip already so I can filter you

Machaka's spiders are okay with N9, but I feel it's going to pass when Ulm gets his shit together and spams magma eruptions.

I think you buffed the wrong thing though, as my mages are disgustingly horrible.

I buffed your mages too. They used to be 20% more expensive, with slightly worse randoms. Everyone was excited about the spiders because I buffed them too much at first, but they seem sort of reasonable now.

TC is doing well despite fighting on two fronts. I think Machaka is currently the biggest player in the game and in the process of eating Ulm. Agartha, Arco and Xibalba are insignificant, though Xib actually seems to be pushing back C'tis these last couple of turns. I don't really know how Man is doing since I have no spies in that part of the map yet.

Is Xibalba using sacreds? What bless? I'm trying xibalba in a summod game right now with an F4B4N9 bless, and they're doing alright.

Is TC using the conscripts?

>Is Xibalba using sacreds? What bless?
Yes. They're one half of the reason C'tis is being pushed back. The other half is Xib is making proper use of his mages while C'tis does nothing but skellyspam, but the skellyspam does literally nothing vs buffed and blessed frogs. He uses A4N9 IIRC.

>Is TC using the conscripts?
Not sure actually, haven't really been keeping a close eye on his battles. He seems to be focusing on flaming arrows though.

I'm using N9 red frogs, they do respectably, especially against single larger targets because they can stack fatigue. I haven't been able to test how they work in a larger war with them being rec-anywhere, because I got rushed before I got past my cap.

Someone suggested I attack a neighbor, and so I did because I had nothing better to do.

So I'm seeing all those rituals that require very high levels of magics and such. Is it even possible to get a normal or summoned mage to that level, or do you need to craft your pretender with this in mind?

This is how to diplo.

Some need a pretender. However, boosters can increase the level of your mage by up to 6 or so levels ... if you can forge them.

(This much boosting assumes both misc slots, a head slot, a body slot, and an arm slot, and requires rings and/or artefacts. Realistically, it'll be +3 or so).

sadly the goyim was smart and had helheim let him secure an escape route, for now the holy hills of shoa are preserved. It's only a matter of time till his elf-lovin gets him killed though

What was his battlemagic like?

banfire, magma eruption, flaming arrows, some minor armor buffs, also horde of skeletons

First, check out what boosters and summons are available. Death, for example, is pretty trivial to kick-start from low to high since there's so damn many death summons with death magic. Since a D3 can summon a D3, you only need a D2 to get to D4 thanks to skull staffs. But wait, D4 gets you liches who are innately D4, and that with a skullface is D6 and hey there's the Scepter of Dark Regency whoops make that D8. Hi Tartarus! (Note, Lichcraft was wisely changed to D5 in Dom4, the above applies in practice only to Dom3, do not attempt to replicate unless playing as my neighbor)

Next, think of what a pretender forging boosters can do for you. Sometimes it's cheaper to have your pretender shit out a ring or staff than actually take the paths to cast the spell.

Lastly, consider (carefully) empowerment. It's likely to double the total cost of the spell AT LEAST, but sometimes that's worthwhile. Also keep in mind that blood slaves are cheap and empowering in blood isn't a bad idea at all if you need to break into blood 4 for the boosters.

>consider empowering

As C'tis can attest to my S10 mage, I have considered it. Meme games are weird though.

I'm considering making another user game, but in the last one I put together half the game staled and I had to manually set them all AI and, it was a huge PITA for a frankly shitty game. While it's not over, I get the feeling that it's basically decided by whoever was nearest the stalers getting to eat them for free. I'm honestly bummed out by this crap

best thing you can do IMO is make your admin presence strong. If players know they'll be punished swiftly for stalling out I feel they are less likely to do it and your more likely to attract serious players. Also keep several subs in mind incase someone does fuck off

>half the game staled and I had to manually set them all AI and, it was a huge PITA for a frankly shitty game
>I get the feeling that it's basically decided by whoever was nearest the stalers getting to eat them for free

Welcome to /domg/.

I can't exactly just magic up subs, but I think I did a decent job setting people AI promptly at least.

I'm not sure I follow how that would help. If someone wants to just stop playing I don't see why they'd care what happens.

Of course, I also don't see why people chainstale in the first place so clearly the psychology of these subhumans escapes me.

>I also don't see why people chainstale
They can no longer win and can't think of anything cool to do with their nation in the meantime.

IDK why they don't go AI at least, but still.

Why not make it not-user?

The spiders haven't won a fight against an actual army though. Mostly been beating up PD. I've killed 10 of them using just troops and 10 more using earth meld though.

I really like domg. The posts that games hosted here get are great.

Also, I've noticed that diplo tends to at least start out more fun. It eventually degrades into steam anyways, but for at least the early parts of the game (and sometimes even later) you end up with a fair bit of public diplo and funny messages

Well, maybe there's a way to make a little accountability without requiring public signups?

You could just make a rule that all diplo must be conducted in thread, so it becomes an effective public-diplo game.

but then I can't cyber via in game messages

Fuck off, pan.

>not showing your own losses

oh vey dont' break a gold coin over it

>christian image
Grigori confirmed.

(forgot to put my name last time).

I figured with this game, I would play a defender. I wouldn't attack unless someone attacked me first or someone asked me to help in a war.

As luck would have it, this is the first game I've played where no one has tried to fuck with me for the first three years. So I'm small and tiny... but that's okay.

Plus, on turn 5 or 6 I have Storm demons attack my capital, so I was crippled in the early game. Didn't get my first fort up until well into year 2 (then found a fort next to my capital thanks to site searching). I think I'm only alive because my neighbors are too distracted with other wars.

sluts can go

WEEB

SHITS

BEGONE

So what exactly is a meme game?