/memex/- meme exchange

Memex is a meme stock exchange based on the boards of Veeky Forums.
there was a thread about it a few weeks ago, but the webpage has nothing and we've heard nothing from OP.
Memex general

Other urls found in this thread:

meme-exchange.eu/
mememarketbeta.weebly.com/
notehub/1wcje
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP should at least get a github going with some documentation.

>Memex
meme-exchange.eu/

the fuck is this?

Original OP here.

Development is ongoing. Delays due to my normal work taking most of my time at the moment but very much still happening. Don't expect launch any time soon. Planning closed beta first, invites to be given out on Veeky Forums when the time comes. This is very much a long term project. Patience required.

Technical decisions being worked through at the moment (picking out a time series database, planning for easy server scaling, and so on).

Wait so we'll be trading actual memes, or just meme stocks like rgt

It's a stock exchange for actual memes.

The gist is that my servers analyse the content on Veeky Forums every hour and assign a value to text based memes based on a long list of factors. You can also invest in boards themselves.

It's a fantasy stock exchange of sorts.

>They make it so you can invest in the boards with real money

yes yes yes yes yes! Can we please make memex general a thing

You go op! Cant wait for this thing to launch! I enjoy valuing a certain market or stocks and constantly watching the graphs but when there are real money involved I consider it more of a job rather than a hobby.

There's no real money involved for a myriad of reasons (mostly legal).

This is mostly for people to have fun. Trying to game the market is encouraged, invest it all in THE HAPPENING and see where it takes you during the elections.

Pic related is the a design for the homepage.

How can one obtain a beta invitation. I have been pumped for this for a while.

sounds fun :D

>text based memes

you're wasting your time

>There's no real money involved for a myriad of reasons (mostly legal).

If there's a will there's a way. This seriously needs to be monetized. It's next level shit.

you should at least have some money involved.. I would gladly throw down a few hundred satoshi so i can corner the meme market

This Pepe is worth 0.17 BTC

Saved and reuploaded to social media accounts.
Come at me NSA.

Do you guys think it is too late to invest in Chris-chan's festering taint wound or has that meme bubble burst?

I'll get my cash ready to invest on greentext, OP.
There was also a thread on /gd/ for logos/designs?

start the meme market as FREE to play.. but if someone wants to buy 1000 pepes for a few satoshis, I dont see the harm in that. you take 0.25% commission like poloniex.

It will be a true example of Market forces in action. If people are willing to pay for memes, why not let them

I hope you don't plan on falling for the forever-scrolling material meme, OP

I don't know.g I've got a lot of my equity tied up in Pepe shares. I always trade precious memes in times of financial uncertainty.

Without some kind of image function this is worthless

Why's that satan?

So many memes can be posted with just an image

I am creating a real money meme exchange. I am an entrepreneur and I want to take this shit to the moon.

I will start out as a fake money site, and if enough of you show interest then I will go through the legal work and make it happen. We'll promote ourselves to the SEC as a cryptocurrency exchange website. The "trends"/"memes" will be things like dubstep, harlem shake, emogi, pokemonGo, etc.

People would be able to profit from any sort of trend that the speculate to go further. A lot of your friends signing up for Eyes-closed Yoga? You could make money if you bought a few shares of ECYOGA. But the main goal, is that in the end you have a website that is tracking and quantifying human trends, all by the collective brainpower of incentivized human meme traders. If you are a YouTuber and you are wondering what you should do a video on, simply go on this site and see what meme is trending the best.

Our idea is different than OP's. OP wants to base the price off of data like number of users, traffic, things like that, but on this exchange it will be based completely on supply & demand just like the real stock market.

Imagine you IPO a meme for $1,000 for 0.01 cent a share. If you are able to sell all 100,000 of your shares for AT LEAST 0.02 cents a share you would have $2,000+, doubling your money. Imagine if the price goes to $0.03, or $0.25,or $1.96. Can you smell money?

When I post the link to my beta website be sure to sign up. I'll call it "Trendex" or "Meme Exchange". What do you think?

>Create a meme
>Spam it everywhere, all day
>Few autists think its funny due to repetition
>It is now a big meme
>Become millionaire

Hmm...Really makes you think.

Short baneposting

so, youre saying the more "my wifes son" is used on Veeky Forums, the higher its stock?

So by the nature of memes, every "investment" would be a game of hot potato?

Buy and Hold seems like a poor decsion in this case.

"My Hamster Dance shares haven't done great"

Go long on hamster dance its got an older blockchain than btc

>I'll call it "Trendex" or "Meme Exchange".
>"Meme Exchange"
Where did you find that name from?
www.meme.exchange

Are you the same guy from the previous threads who wanted to create a pyramid scheme?

By all means make one. I'd be interested in seeing it although I'm still not sure why anyone would give you there money for nothing in return.

Memes added to the market are decided by vote.

Adding images is an eventual goal, but not for phase 1. There's more involved.

Yes. But there are other factors including whether or not it is accompanied by a high quality GET, number of replies, and other things. There are also negative factors to discourage shitposting on slow boards.

some nu-male culture group about sustainable urbanization

Revive

so this is will be like that jew webm about rare pepes trading?

Bump

Nice OP, keep working. I hope you get the best audience. Count me in.

I'm also saving to invest in KNEE and PEP3 into /memex/

op, please provide translations

You are going to have to categorize and create a library of all the pepes out there in the world.

>Are you the same guy from the previous threads
That's me. I offered to be partners with you, but you didn't want to. So I was forced to create my own exchange:

mememarketbeta.weebly.com/

I wish you good luck with your endeavour.

>my own exchange
>it's a landing page template

where is the lorem ipsum? WHERE ARE THE IPSUMS?

How do we vote

Tell me, how exactly are you going to track them?
>you can't

LETS DUMP OUR MEMES AND SHORT THESE R9K FAGETS

What translation do you require? I'll certainly add to a feature todo list.

Good luck.

When the site launches there will be a simple voting mechanism baked in.

What do you want to know exactly? Veeky Forums has it's API. My server will query it combined with some scraping to collect all of the text from the different threads/boards. It then analyses them for occurrence and values them against a list of metrics. The scraper runs on NodeJS on it's own server. As mentioned before text-based memes are the starting point. Adding in image analysis is much more involved but definitely a goal for phase 2.

text based might work, images are going to be difficult. maybe use probabilistic samples and compare with phashes or deep learning if you can. that will require more than nodejs though.

Deep learning methods would be well beyond scope, imagine the number of images that will need processing and comparing (every hour) the bandwidth/processing costs would rise very steeply. There are fast algorithms that can give you an estimation of how similar two images are which would be "reliable enough" and much lighter to process, essentially phash comparisons at their core with a confidence value. The real problem though is stuff like Pepe. The sheer amount of variations that exist make the task likely very unreliable.

Assuming the SEC ("Shitposing and Expletives Commission", MemEx's tentative governing body) will have some sort of portal for doing official work, couldn't we allow them to upload .zip files of meme-tagged images, and work off that?

Stage one would be simple MD5 matching, but later we may be able to expand it to more intelligent matching.

There's a specification up for the V1 trading API at notehub/1wcje

How's this? Best I could do on short notice.

true.

Meme Market and MemEx can live side by side in peace.

When do you think you will be ready to launch MemEx?

I might join the game. Just conducted a short "feasibility study". Taking 15 threads from every board resulted in the following:

- Veeky Forums contains about 1980 keks right now
- literal top kek sources were asp, vp, biz, news, mu, tv, n, k, ck and his, producing one about every 40 up to 150 replies
- this analysis took 69 boards * 15 threads/board * 1 board/second = ~17 minutes

resulting pro tips:
- if you don't want to go over the rate limit, find other API sources
- ignore lame and low activity boards
- do not fetch threads with low reply counts

hope this helps

addendum: a total of 72943 replies were examined

This will be featured on my latest documentary: "Memes: Have we gone too far?"

I'm only interested if I can make actual, unironic money from this.

No planned date, the different pieces are slowly coming together. What kind of backend are you planning? don't have to go into too much detail.

The scraper instance already combines the API with traditional scraping. It collects all the board catalogues through the API and then scrapes every thread.
Low activity boards are counted but are already marked as slow and matches found on them are severely lower in value, discouraging shitposting on slow boards has been a primary concern from the beginning.

We haven't gone far enough. See , it's going to have it's own commission.

MD5 matching is easy but would like to test how many misses there are on average. If you can see 20 of the same image across the site but the scraper only detects 10 then people won't trust the system. Trust adds value to the market.

See for an alternative approach. My one doesn't use real money.

>Less than 59 days from now Meme Market Pre-Beta will launch.

So come October it will be ready?

Interesting.