/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

ded edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.42.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dfweb4.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Density
youtube.com/watch?v=krSIbKaJAxU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for lewd names

Innuendo!?

> Secret Screws

One dwarf keeps getting into barfights for no reason.
A while ago, she fought the Chief Medical Dwarf, had her finger smashed and passed out. Now she has attacked the mayor and is currently fighting him, the bookkeeper, and the manager.

This one dwarf has caused more injuries than military action at the fortress.
She has 91 violence, which the wiki claims won't actually cause the dwarf to start random fights, but it sure seems like she has twice now. She doesn't have grudges and isn't stressed, but keeps starting barfights.

It's a lyalty cascade waiting to happen. Lock the door to her bedroom the next time she goes there, and wait for her to dehydrate.

My advice is to keep her busy and out of the tavern, maybe weaving if you have the industry set up as it can run 24/7 pretty much.

That sounds like no fun.

>goblins

I'd also love to know why dwarves are just randomly dropping dead in the tavern due to "suffocation".
It's like they get drunk and forget how to breathe.
I've had 3 dwarves die without warning in the tavern like this,
including just now my legendary stonecrafter.

Yeah they pass out and die like IRL.

Never try to mug a dorf while standing next to a well.
At least I put points into climbing.

is this due to my raw meddling or a known bug?

"It's a feature"- Froggymono

Got a silver whip from the human caravan, is it worth having one lasher in my military?

give it to the hammerer

Just got a lead mace from a strange mood. How is it compared to a masterful silver one?

Lead one is better, it is heavier and have better quality

dfweb4.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Density

This FB is made of clear glass.
Does that make him tough or very weak? I'm not sure.
First time I've seen a humanoid FB by the way.

Also how the fuck does it undulate

> Also how the fuck does it undulate
youtube.com/watch?v=krSIbKaJAxU

>glass
>webs
wew

> Does that make him tough or very weak? I'm not sure.
Weaker then metal, tougher then rock, according to wiki

Should fracture easily but resist cuts I'm guessing.

>its right hand explodes into gore!
>shithead dwarfuck has been shot and killed x10

How important is it to have different food? Can't I just make a huge plump helmet farm and not have problems with food for the rest of the game?

>How important is it to have different food?
Not very. I make sure to have lotts of diversity because it pleases my autism, but there's no practical reason.

>Can't I just make a huge plump helmet farm and not have problems with food for the rest of the game?
You can.

do adventurers not gain xp from attacking zombies?

I can't see why they wouldn't.

If you doubt it, just put a zombie and a human next to each other in the arena, and play as the human.

I've been trying to raise spears/whips on them but it's not raising.

How do I check the list of items in a stockpile?

It's not important at all. I don't think it even matters other than maybe a happy thought (from diversity(?) or from a specific preference)

You can just plumpfarm.
I usually do that and supply it with various fruits and vegetables from the caravans.

You don't
Just go to the stockpile, press [k] and just hover over the various items lying there.
You can't see a list of items like you can with buildings/furniture/workshops with [t], nor can you find a list in [R]

dfhack does allow you to do this, it's rather obvious though so I'm guessing he isn't using dfhack

I'm using the Lazy Newb Pack, there's a DFhack tab, where do I see it?

iirc you hover over the stockpile with q and there should be some gui options there

Varied foods only purpose is role playing, general autism and increasing chances of dwarfs eating something they like. Each dwarf is fond of something particular and gets happy if he can get it. Personally I run a baseline food from plump helmets for most of the game and add more varied foods as the fort grows for RP reasons. I also buy stuff from caravans.

I have a dorf who got frozen into ice block. How do I save his body? Miners refuse to mine it out.Why the fuck he got frosen to death? My siege operator was outside for whole winter without this shit happening.

He's dead jimmy

Is there any way to raise the appraisal skill from 0 to 1? My broker can't know how much wealth I have

Yeah, I know. I want to know why did it happen to him, not to other dorfs and how do I get his body back to put it into coffin

Wait till it's warm enough for it to melt, melt it by force or build a Lenin style mausoleum around the ice block to remember him.

Do trades

There is no body.
Just make a slab.
He probably was swimming in a river/pond or some shit, and winter suprised him.

>LPs of nips playing this on niconico by one guy

> He probably was swimming in a river/pond or some shit, and winter suprised him.
Nah, he was mining out some ice for SCIENCE along other miners on riverbed. and suddenly got frozen.
Is there any method to melt it except magma? And I think I can't build enough wall in time, I have like 5 or 6 days till spring nor I can retrieve the body in the spring, it will be deep underwater.

you can just dig the tile to retrieve items, should work for corpses

I just tried it out myself. It appears that you don't get any xp for attacking zombies.

I did, however, get dodging and observer xp when they attacked me. If I wore armor and/or shield, I'd probably get xp in those as well.

It appears that you don't get xp by attacking zombies, but that you DO get xp when defending against their attacks.

It might be related to how you don't get xp for attacking unconscious enemies.

>Miners refuse to mine it out
It doesn't work.

Channel/pump the water away during spring

I noticed my armor skill going up.

Have you tried channeling in from above?

Oh, it worked, thanks.And if you destroy slope the wall is restored and body is frosen back.

So how do I go about beating the thing?

Should a strong hammer/mace be enough to damage it properly?

Give it a shot and return with story on how it went. The true Dwarf way

If you have some sort of maze-like structure where it's easy for your militia to surprise the beast by popping out from behind a corner, then I recommend using hammerdorfs.

If you have any good marksdwarves, I recommend using those, as they can very well kill it before it comes into web-range.

There is no failsafe way to kill it, though. It might very well kill every last dorf in your fort. Or it might just dodge off some ledge and shatter as it hits the ground below.

web fbs are the worst tbqh

A vile force of darkness just arrived, with at least 80 units.

How about I just wall shit off, connect my entrance to my mines and let the goblins rush to kill the FB?

Do it. It's your best chance. At the very least, you shouldn't waste your legendaries on the FB before facing the gobbos.

Now you are thinking like a dorf

What are these legendaries you speak of my man

Good thing I still have all those Guerilla tunnels in my fort from back when the zombies were occupying half my fort and causing people to die from hunger.

Legendaries are soldiers who sparred so much that they've begun to blink.

I was implying that my military is pretty shit

Operation "Glass 'Em" is a go

I'm glad I didn't tear down all the walls yet from last time I tried this retarded shit (and the goblins just ended up leaving)

The goblin forces seem to prefer rushing towards my half-finished above-ground area in which I was planning to have some grazing animals.

RIP my sheep, troll's about to tear down that door.

Forgot pic

Whips are bugged and ignore armor I believe, right?

The way weapons work means they are OP

Would anyone mind explaining how pop_ratio works when dealing with several castes?

In short smaller relative numbers means fewer of that caste

Personally I suggest setting them and then generating a few worlds to see what happens by exporting legends and doing a search to see what happened

>Personally I suggest setting them and then generating a few worlds to see what happens by exporting legends and doing a search to see what happened

I'll do just that. My main question about though is how should I divide it among say 10 different castes?

Enemy forces are inside my fort and I locked them up by raising the bridge.

Just now did I realise I still have some weak-ass weapon traps in my mine entrance.
They will probably just stick around there now and not continue ahead.
Building destroyers like trolls can't melt weapon trap beams, can they?

I would set each one to 100 (figuratively) then lower the number based on the rarity you want for each caste.

For the last test I ran I think the numbers were something like this

>Orcs males 60/females 55
50~

>Snaga males 25/females 35
20~

>Uruk males 10/females 5
5~

>Olog males 12/females 4
~2

I wasn't really testing for castes appearance though so my numbers might be off.

Attached is another nice tag.

Well, it seems like they aren't so scared of the traps after all. Some trolls went on ahead, only one died to an unlucky hit on his leg, causing him to be shredded slowly.

Amusing bug, they get so dumbstruck they forget how the world is supposed to work.

They can not, and I love the miasma everywhere, very dorfy.

Enemy forces have succesfully been funneled into the caverns.
Closed off the bridges behind them.

Two birds with one stone. Here's hoping the FB will finally fucking leave that one tiny corner surrounded by water. I know you can swim you piece of shit, I saw you do it.

Trolls went straight towards my pump-stack-to-be reservoir and started destroying the floodgates.
Are these fuckers omniscient or something?

Myth update. Sounds so good. Just these bugfixes, subsequent post-release bugfixes, the 64 bit, then the myths and artifacts right!?

Fucking weabos should be banned

When is the next update scheduled to come out?

3 years and then 2 years of fixing the bugs it causes

>scheduled

Building destroyers can smell buildings.

>Got any promising leads?

You gotta ask the forums about that one

:^)

Get fucked, trolls

Also where the fuck is all that dwarf pus coming from? It's covering all the walls now.

Probably just the weirdness of contaminants, they might have carried it from an evil weather cloud nearby or something?

some of my dwarves in the militia aren't picking up the equipment I crafted, they didn't pick up the iron high boots or the gauntlets, and 2 of the 5 didn't pick up the iron mail shirt, why is it?

Dorf gets wound infected.

Dorf washes the pus away in the river.

River brings the pus down to the trolls.

Are they active
Is their equipment set up right
Is the equipment accessible and not claimed by anyone

>dorf holding a newborn beard up above the river after drawing a line across their forehead with pus
>"Urist"
>circle of life starts playing

I left the equipment in the same stockpile, not sure why 2 didn't pick up mail shirts.

this is how the equipment is set up, why aren't they picking up iron high boots and gauntlets?

Check the actual squad equipment too on the Military screen

expert to legendary reader

Those differences are so marginal that they make my heart sink.

Why is it so hard to get higher attributes now? When did this happen? Back in .34, all attributes could be grinded easily, but now, I almost never get to notice any change before I get tired of an adventurer.

I think its good to have a foundation for gaining those 'soul' attributes as of now, we never had anything improve them in the first place in .34 right? I'm sure toady will get around to the tweaking the proper gradual stat increase with the mental skills soon, just the same way he purportedly improved sparring quite a bit.

I read probably over 100 books, I expected more of a memory gain than 11, it looks like you keep gaining stats while the skill is legendary though (I didn't think this was the case) - there's not a whole ton of books left though.

how?

This is pretty interesting. I had already noticed historical events where a ruler created new positions for themselves, but I didn't know that the people could do it their own initiative. Note that while one of the humans have a central role, he or she isn't a historical figure.